Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 764976 times)

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #5150 on: February 20, 2021, 03:24:41 AM »
None of it has any real worth.

This is a false statement.

The reality is that anything that anyone is willing to accept exchange for something else of value has "real worth". This could be some Satoshies, could be a lump of gold, could be a work of "modern art", could be Mr Anabolic's favourites stores of value (cans of tuna and silver ingots), could be a (depreciating) fiat currency.

You personally may not think its rational that a perfectly scarce global crypto currency has the value the market ascribes to it, That is your choice. Similarly, there are many others who increasingly think its rational that a unlimited supply of pieces of paper with a number printed on them has "value". That is their choice.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #5151 on: February 20, 2021, 03:24:59 AM »

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5152 on: February 20, 2021, 03:30:11 AM »
This is a false statement.

The reality is that anything that anyone is willing to accept exchange for something else of value has "real worth". This could be some Satoshies, could be a lump of gold, could be a work of "modern art", could be Mr Anabolic's favourites stores of value (cans of tuna and silver ingots), could be a (depreciating) fiat currency.

You personally may not think its rational that a perfectly scarce global crypto currency has the value the market ascribes to it, That is your choice. Similarly, there are many others who increasingly think its rational that a unlimited supply of pieces of paper with a number printed on them has "value". That is their choice.
That paper actually has value.  I pay my bills, buy food and gas with paper or digits on a screen backed by said paper.  Do you buy groceries, gas and pay bills with bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #5153 on: February 20, 2021, 05:09:54 AM »
That paper actually has value.  I pay my bills, buy food and gas with paper or digits on a screen backed by said paper.  Do you buy groceries, gas and pay bills with bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency?

Lol. It's okay,  you still have time to buy some worthless cryto.

Gitur

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5154 on: February 20, 2021, 05:18:18 AM »

Who gave the paper that value?

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5155 on: February 20, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »
Eth sucks.   :-\

they are squeezing the longs. ETH slapped from over 2k down to 1.8k in the last 3hrs which closes out all the long positions. In the chat rooms people got wrecked.

Go back to the very start of the rally in November/December and ETH lagged behind. Then in Jan ETH lagged behind. Now in Feb ETH is lagging behind. I figure by it doing nothing it looks normal LOL???

I’m watching my BTC, ADA and DOT fly upwards and then there is the Mong called ETH picking it’s nose.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #5156 on: February 20, 2021, 04:39:06 PM »
Lol. The so-called "imagionary coin" is perfectly limited and finite in supply, and with a publicly visible record on the blockchain, which we know with certainty has ALWAYS (until now) increased in value over time.

vs.

The USD which we know is fake money, can be infinitely produced, with no exact certainty of how much of it exists, which we know with certainty has ALWAYS (until now) decreased in value over time.

The USD is a ponzi scheme. Bitcoin is our saviour.

F..... OFF DUMBO !.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5157 on: February 20, 2021, 05:14:20 PM »
Do you pay bills with stocks like Amazon, Apple etc.?

You don't get it the dollar is losing value over time. People need a hedge against inflation.

Eventually payment systems will develop for cryptos but by then investing in it will be too late for those that sat on the sidelines.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5158 on: February 20, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »
they are squeezing the longs. ETH slapped from over 2k down to 1.8k in the last 3hrs which closes out all the long positions. In the chat rooms people got wrecked.

Go back to the very start of the rally in November/December and ETH lagged behind. Then in Jan ETH lagged behind. Now in Feb ETH is lagging behind. I figure by it doing nothing it looks normal LOL???

I’m watching my BTC, ADA and DOT fly upwards and then there is the Mong called ETH picking it’s nose.
Small price corrections are healthy. What's unhealthy is an asset that keeps going up and up without any corrections. Bitcoin had a $3,000+ correction recently remember? Go look at the past 30 day performance.

I knew it was going to correct. I told myself I would sell some ETH at $2,000 and then buy back in at a lower price but it will just complicate my taxes. But I will probably start trading some ETH in the quest to get more ETH. I have also placed myself on the waiting list to stake ETH on Coinbase. I have more than enough ETH for my own nodes but don't want to deal with the maintenance and risks. As I understand it the staked node needs to be online 24/7 and that is a tall order because internet and power outages do happen. Coinbase takes away that risk and your holdings will be guaranteed even if Coinbase suffers a loss.

https://beincrypto.com/75-eth-2-0-validators-double-vote-lose-30000-to-penalties/

Staking service provider Staked.us had 75 of its validators penalized for acting against Ethereum (ETH) 2.0’s rules.

The event cost the company 18 ETH, or around $30,000.

The company’s leadership admitted crucial lapses in judgment while performing infrastructure upgrades.

Staked.us, an Ethereum 2.0 (ETH) staking service provider, was hit with a $30,000 penalty for accidentally double voting on the network.

On February 2, 2021, at least 75 nodes were heavily penalized on the Ethereum 2.0 network. Data from BeaconCha.in, a website dedicated to tracking the ETH 2.0 mainnet, reveals that all affected nodes were ‘slashed’ within minutes of each other.

In Ethereum, slashing refers to the process of economically punishing nodes for performing malicious actions. In this case, the slashing was triggered by double voting or running the staking software on two computers simultaneously.

The slashed validators reportedly belonged to staking service provider Staked.us. Via a blog post, CEO Tim Ogilvie admitted that the company had introduced additional risk by chasing performance gains. Staked.us had also disabled certain safeguards in this pursuit of maximizing hardware performance, further compounding the problem.

The entire ordeal cost the company approximately 18 ETH or $30,000 at current prices. However, Staked.us has since acknowledged that it will be absorbing the cost of the incident. In other words, the firm’s clients will not have to deal with either the penalties or missed income opportunity.
How Ethereum 2.0 Penalizes Malicious Nodes to Keep Them Honest

By participating in the staking process, Ethereum 2.0 validators pledge to uphold the rules of the network. Any activity that breaks them, or is deemed malicious by other honest users, is flagged by other nodes. The node owner is then penalized financially (slashed).

Each validator needs to stake 32 ETH to participate in the transaction verification process. Violations can cause penalties of up to 50% of this amount. Penalized nodes can continue participating as long as their balance stays above 16 ETH. Once this level is reached, the node is automatically ejected from the network.

This rule ensures that transaction validation can take place in a majority honest way. To successfully attack the network, a majority of validators would have to collude.

Some argue this is more difficult than a 51% attack in Proof-of-Work cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC) and even Ethereum 1.0. Instead of the hash rate, an Ethereum 2.0 attacker needs to control over half of all staked coins.

While attackers could rent computational power from services such as Nicehash, owning 51% of all staked coins is virtually impossible. The attack becomes even more difficult as the PoS network grows and attracts new stakers over time.

All of the above factors likely make attacks on the Ethereum 2.0 network fairly difficult to pull off. The 75 nodes were each penalized approximately 0.2–0.3 ETH. At a much larger scale, these penalties would require attackers to risk millions of dollars.
Mistaken Slashings: Growing Pains

On Dec. 1, 2020 Phase 0 of the ETH 2.0 network launched. Over the past two months, hundreds of validators have already been slashed. While some were likely genuine attacks, others could simply be a result of inexperience.

As with any new technology, early adopters are likely the most vulnerable to losses. As ETH 2.0 marches on, these incidents will likely serve as valuable cautionary tales to new validators.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5159 on: February 20, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
https://www.bitcoininsider.org/article/104382/technical-flaw-sees-ethereum-20-validator-lose-30000

Around 75 Eth 2.0 validators got “slashed” this week because of an “upgrade gone wrong’ by Staked, a staking infrastructure firm.

Staked CEO and co-founder Tim Ogilvie gave his word that since the slashing happened because of his company’s technical issue, all the affected parties will be reimbursed by them. As for Staked, they will have to pay a slashing penalty of 18 ETH (~$30,000).

What Is Slashing?

One of the most significant changes that Ethereum will be going through during its upgrade to ETH 2.0 is the shift from proof-of-work (PoW) to proof-of-stake (PoS). Ethereum will be implementing PoS using the Casper protocol. As per Casper, any validator (aka users who take care of consensus in the PoS system) found not following the network rules gets punished by having a portion of their Ethereum stake slashed. Staked implemented this system to keep the Ethereum network as efficient and honest as possible.

What Went Wrong?

As per Staked, they were trying to improve their validator performance metrics by increasing their signing rates. The idea was to enable their validators to produce more blocks and earn more staking rewards. However, they erroneously introduced a bug into the system that disabled Prysm’s on-client slashing protection database. Regarding this mistake, Staked said:

"Obviously, we should not have disabled the persistence of Prysm's database in pursuit of better performance. The performance gains we achieved weren't worth the additional risk we inadvertently added."

After learning an “expensive lesson,” Staked said it has introduced changes to how it deploys new nodes to avoid this mistake from happening again. In this new system, nodes can’t participate with validators until they are fully synced.

Who Are Staked?

Staked is one of the largest Eth 2.0 validators with a 9% staked in ETH 2.0’s total stake, which is worth $245 million. Its multi-tier signing and listening node architecture aim to deliver stakeholders a combination of security, scalability, and decentralization. The team behind Staked has a successful track record of starting, building, and operating web services at IAC/InterActiveCorp, Vimeo, AdBuyer/MediaOcean, PlanetTran, Flavors.me, Haystagg, and Think Gaming (YC 2014).

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5160 on: February 20, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »

The paper itself is almost worthless. Even for use as toilet paper it would not be great due to lack of absorbency. The only value it has it that which others ascribe to it, which as we know is over time, less and less.

Many of my friends in Australia (which is quite technologically backward) even now pay for bills, food, electricity, credit card fees, government rates and taxes etc in BTC now, See: https://www.livingroomofsatoshi.com/ as an example.

Numerous Governments globally accept taxes paid in BTC.

Some employees are now paid entirely in BTC.

And many of my digital nomad friends travel with Sats on a lightening wallet and pay locally with Sats. You would be surpised how many AirBNB owners accept (and even prefer) Sats, both as they can keep cash outside of the banking system but also because they prefer to keep Sats as a store of value.

Many payment providers, Square, Visa, PayPal, Cropto.com, Revolute allow you to pay in Sats (or offer a Sats to fiat payment conversion).

In the future one-coiners will simply have their BTC as collateral and then pay in ever declining fiat currency which they have borrowed against their underlying BTC as collateral.

Its all happening and only really just getting started. So, rather than stubbornly debate whether its happening or not, you should accept it is. Then, you will realize you can secure your future by becoming a one-coiner (which for many is now slipping out of reach). And you will also see how you can benefit from this global trend by investing accordingly.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5161 on: February 20, 2021, 11:49:51 PM »

Eth sucks. Its dead in the water. I noticed this for the last week and you said I was being funny for saying it looks like it's losing steam.  Lol

There's something going with ethereum and it aint good. Keeps getting kicked in the balls. Thats why I sold most of mine when I did. No regrets so far.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5162 on: February 20, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »
Small price corrections are healthy. What's unhealthy is an asset that keeps going up and up without any corrections. Bitcoin had a $3,000+ correction recently remember? Go look at the past 30 day performance.

I knew it was going to correct. I told myself I would sell some ETH at $2,000 and then buy back in at a lower price but it will just complicate my taxes. But I will probably start trading some ETH in the quest to get more ETH. I have also placed myself on the waiting list to stake ETH on Coinbase. I have more than enough ETH for my own nodes but don't want to deal with the maintenance and risks. As I understand it the staked node needs to be online 24/7 and that is a tall order because internet and power outages do happen. Coinbase takes away that risk and your holdings will be guaranteed even if Coinbase suffers a loss.

https://beincrypto.com/75-eth-2-0-validators-double-vote-lose-30000-to-penalties/

Staking service provider Staked.us had 75 of its validators penalized for acting against Ethereum (ETH) 2.0’s rules.

The event cost the company 18 ETH, or around $30,000.

The company’s leadership admitted crucial lapses in judgment while performing infrastructure upgrades.

Staked.us, an Ethereum 2.0 (ETH) staking service provider, was hit with a $30,000 penalty for accidentally double voting on the network.

On February 2, 2021, at least 75 nodes were heavily penalized on the Ethereum 2.0 network. Data from BeaconCha.in, a website dedicated to tracking the ETH 2.0 mainnet, reveals that all affected nodes were ‘slashed’ within minutes of each other.

In Ethereum, slashing refers to the process of economically punishing nodes for performing malicious actions. In this case, the slashing was triggered by double voting or running the staking software on two computers simultaneously.

The slashed validators reportedly belonged to staking service provider Staked.us. Via a blog post, CEO Tim Ogilvie admitted that the company had introduced additional risk by chasing performance gains. Staked.us had also disabled certain safeguards in this pursuit of maximizing hardware performance, further compounding the problem.

The entire ordeal cost the company approximately 18 ETH or $30,000 at current prices. However, Staked.us has since acknowledged that it will be absorbing the cost of the incident. In other words, the firm’s clients will not have to deal with either the penalties or missed income opportunity.
How Ethereum 2.0 Penalizes Malicious Nodes to Keep Them Honest

By participating in the staking process, Ethereum 2.0 validators pledge to uphold the rules of the network. Any activity that breaks them, or is deemed malicious by other honest users, is flagged by other nodes. The node owner is then penalized financially (slashed).

Each validator needs to stake 32 ETH to participate in the transaction verification process. Violations can cause penalties of up to 50% of this amount. Penalized nodes can continue participating as long as their balance stays above 16 ETH. Once this level is reached, the node is automatically ejected from the network.

This rule ensures that transaction validation can take place in a majority honest way. To successfully attack the network, a majority of validators would have to collude.

Some argue this is more difficult than a 51% attack in Proof-of-Work cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC) and even Ethereum 1.0. Instead of the hash rate, an Ethereum 2.0 attacker needs to control over half of all staked coins.

While attackers could rent computational power from services such as Nicehash, owning 51% of all staked coins is virtually impossible. The attack becomes even more difficult as the PoS network grows and attracts new stakers over time.

All of the above factors likely make attacks on the Ethereum 2.0 network fairly difficult to pull off. The 75 nodes were each penalized approximately 0.2–0.3 ETH. At a much larger scale, these penalties would require attackers to risk millions of dollars.
Mistaken Slashings: Growing Pains

On Dec. 1, 2020 Phase 0 of the ETH 2.0 network launched. Over the past two months, hundreds of validators have already been slashed. While some were likely genuine attacks, others could simply be a result of inexperience.

As with any new technology, early adopters are likely the most vulnerable to losses. As ETH 2.0 marches on, these incidents will likely serve as valuable cautionary tales to new validators.

They aren't small corrections. The gains get destroyed dude. In a matter of minutes whatever it gained gets wiped out. It's getting ridiculous. Like games are being played, let the price climb s little   everyone gets excited and boom, down it goes.
Agaun and again below 2000.  Not sure how long thisncan go on before people say fick it and leave an masse

I made way better gains by selling and getting into bitcoin when I did.  All the money that's been pouring into eth and it csnt do anything by comparison. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5163 on: February 21, 2021, 02:37:09 AM »
Do you pay bills with stocks like Amazon, Apple etc.?

You don't get it the dollar is losing value over time. People need a hedge against inflation.

Eventually payment systems will develop for cryptos but by then investing in it will be too late for those that sat on the sidelines.
No, I don't.  If a person has stocks those are worthless until they take some money out and spend it.  Of course I understand money loses value over time, that's why I make more money!  Cryptos could disappear or lose enormous value overnight because it has no real value until you take money (real fiat money) and spend it, just like stocks.  If you have a large amount of crypto imaginary money I would take most of it out while you still can.  Leave a small amount in for future growth.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5164 on: February 21, 2021, 02:37:55 AM »
Who gave the paper that value?
The Federal Reserve.  Who gave Bitcoin it's value?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #5165 on: February 21, 2021, 03:06:56 AM »
Before we had money we had a barter system. We traded stuff for stuff. I'll make you a pair of shoes if you give me some fish. I trade the vegetables that I grow for other stuff people in my village have. This was a very inefficient system. What if I don't want fish but the guy selling beef doesn't need shoes? Money just came to represent the goods and services people produce and a convenient means of trade. We decide through the free market how much value it has. If I give you five dollars for a pound of beef but someone wants it more and is willing to pay six dollars, he gets the meat. The price fluctuates with demand. 

When I use to work at a Hardware Store, City Mill, they had what they called "City Bucks". Just paper made to look like money with City Mill plastered on it. But it could have been anything. Marbles if they wanted. You earned it in various ways. Maybe you made a great sale or gave great customer service -- whatever. You could use those "City Bucks" to buy anything in the store. City Bucks were absolutely worthless once you stepped out of the store but it was real money in the store. You could buy anything you want. I bought a cordless drill with City Bucks. Those "Bucks" had worth because the store said it did. Purely arbitrary. They not only decided it's worth but how much it is worth.

They use to give gifts and stuff as rewards but often what they gave was not what the person wanted (like the barter system). So they decided to just give notes that represented the worth of stuff in the store and let you decide what you want.

I was not entirely correct in saying that these "City Bucks" were worthless outside the store. Once I accumulated so much, and there wasn't really anything I wanted in the store, but I could always buy stuff from the grocery store. So I sold, traded, my City Bucks to another employee who paid me in U.S. dollars and I bought a roasted chicken. Kind of like how we exchange our currency for foreign currency when we are going to the country.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #5166 on: February 21, 2021, 03:27:44 AM »
do we have anyone, other than me, in this thread, who does not own any crypto currency?

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5167 on: February 21, 2021, 03:28:59 AM »
They aren't small corrections. The gains get destroyed dude. In a matter of minutes whatever it gained gets wiped out. It's getting ridiculous. Like games are being played, let the price climb s little   everyone gets excited and boom, down it goes.
Agaun and again below 2000.  Not sure how long thisncan go on before people say fick it and leave an masse

I made way better gains by selling and getting into bitcoin when I did.  All the money that's been pouring into eth and it csnt do anything by comparison.
LMAO! Ethereum was $749.41 on January 1st. It just recently tested $2,038 and will probably motor past that in the next few days.

Binance yesterday restricted Ethereum trading. They claimed it was because of congestion but this was not the case. They are trying to promote their Binance Smart Chain. There are also now rumors that they have been doing fake transactions on Binance Smart Chain to amplify their transactions artificially so it looks better in comparison to Ethereum. Ethereum does decentralized financing (DEFI). BSC is really centralized financing (CEFI). They copy pasted Ethereum's smart contracts design and have a few nodes that Binance controls. Asians have a knack for copying. They also like to play dirty.

Regardless all these tricks will not hold Ethereum's price back. Long term I am bullish on Ethereum, Cardano, Bitcoin and a few others.

And you are right games are being played. People want crypto prices to yoyo so they can buy dips lol!

You could be taking advantage of these drops with any crypto. Buy a dip, hold till it is up 10% or so, sell into a stable coin and then wait for another dip. Buy up more. You can increase your holdings over time. That is what many other traders are doing. Why do you think the prices of cryptos go up and down? So the crypto bag holders can stuff their bags with more and more crypto. Eventually there will be a bigger correction and there will be an even better opportunity to stuff your bags with cryptos. After a few market cycles over a few years the corrections will get smaller and smaller as more and more people enter the crypto space.

Just be careful with trading like this. You could always end up with less crypto then you started with. Nobody knows what the markets and prices will do.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5168 on: February 21, 2021, 03:32:01 AM »
To people like Anabolic saying cryptos will be banned:

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5169 on: February 21, 2021, 03:34:27 AM »
Eth sucks. Its dead in the water. I noticed this for the last week and you said I was being funny for saying it looks like it's losing steam.  Lol

There's something going with ethereum and it aint good. Keeps getting kicked in the balls. Thats why I sold most of mine when I did. No regrets so far.

BTC leads. ETH lags behind.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5170 on: February 21, 2021, 03:46:48 AM »
BTC leads. ETH lags behind.
Like clockwork. The people making gains in BTC then use those gains to stuff their bags with more ETH.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5171 on: February 21, 2021, 03:58:06 AM »
do we have anyone, other than me, in this thread, who does not own any crypto currency?
There are around 46.8 million millionaires in the world and less than 21 million BTC. If you were to distribute it evenly each of those millionaires would have less than 0.44 BTC.

That's the scarcity effect! I will convert some of my crypto to get at least 1 or 2 BTC later in the year - I could do it now but want to see bigger gains.

I expect some of Bitcoins gains to bleed into alts and more gains can be made this bull run in smaller market cap alts. You have to pick the right ones though. Cardano (ADA) is one of them I think. But in the end for sure you should have some Bitcoin in your portfolio. GIB is right about that.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5172 on: February 21, 2021, 04:05:07 AM »
LMAO! Ethereum was $749.41 on January 1st. It just recently tested $2,038 and will probably motor past that in the next few days.

Binance yesterday restricted Ethereum trading. They claimed it was because of congestion but this was not the case. They are trying to promote their Binance Smart Chain. There are also now rumors that they have been doing fake transactions on Binance Smart Chain to amplify their transactions artificially so it looks better in comparison to Ethereum. Ethereum does decentralized financing (DEFI). BSC is really centralized financing (CEFI). They copy pasted Ethereum's smart contracts design and have a few nodes that Binance controls. Asians have a knack for copying. They also like to play dirty.

Regardless all these tricks will not hold Ethereum's price back. Long term I am bullish on Ethereum, Cardano, Bitcoin and a few others.

And you are right games are being played. People want crypto prices to yoyo so they can buy dips lol!

You could be taking advantage of these drops with any crypto. Buy a dip, hold till it is up 10% or so, sell into a stable coin and then wait for another dip. Buy up more. You can increase your holdings over time. That is what many other traders are doing. Why do you think the prices of cryptos go up and down? So the crypto bag holders can stuff their bags with more and more crypto. Eventually there will be a bigger correction and there will be an even better opportunity to stuff your bags with cryptos. After a few market cycles over a few years the corrections will get smaller and smaller as more and more people enter the crypto space.

Just be careful with trading like this. You could always end up with less crypto then you started with. Nobody knows what the markets and prices will do.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5173 on: February 21, 2021, 04:16:40 AM »
There are around 46.8 million millionaires in the world and less than 21 million BTC. If you were to distribute it evenly each of those millionaires would have less than 0.44 BTC.

That's the scarcity effect! I will convert some of my crypto to get at least 1 or 2 BTC later in the year - I could do it now but want to see bigger gains.

I expect some of Bitcoins gains to bleed into alts and more gains can be made this bull run in smaller market cap alts. You have to pick the right ones though. Cardano (ADA) is one of them I think. But in the end for sure you should have some Bitcoin in your portfolio. GIB is right about that.

I thought about this. I picked up eth and ltc very cheap years ago. End of the year ill be putting majority into blockfi interest account and perhaps 5-10 btc in a celsius interest account. Atm certain coins are paying out 6-8%.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5174 on: February 21, 2021, 04:17:11 AM »
Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks I appreciate it! You need laser focus with cryptos - and luck! Be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy!