Author Topic: "muscle memory"  (Read 1569 times)

HYDROLICS

• Getbig III
"muscle memory"
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:34:31 AM »
okay we have all heard of this "phenomenon". But let me tell you my story.

A few years ago while I was at my heaviest weight ever and in the best shape of my life I suffered a major umbilical hernia (the one where it comes out your belly button). Let me tell you ....it hurt like hell. I took of my lifting belt so fast because I thought one of the latches tore through my stomach. I looked down to see what looked like a water balloon making its way out of my belly button. Subsequently I needed surgery THAT DAY.

After taking 6 weeks off lifting no more than a gallon of milk I lost around 30 pounds of lean mass ( I say this because I was fairly lean and ended up skinny and soft as hell). I ate as much as I could, but not training and crashing off from a heavy cycle took its toll on me.

After the 10th week I was back in the gym, only to end up damaging a rotator cuff..... more time off........back in the gym..........torn pec.............depressi on set in............more time off...............more depression.............s top training all together.

about two years later I decide to get back into the game and get my ass in the gym, it still looks like I have a decent build, but nothing like a bodybuilder. Things go good and my diet is spot on.

I am 4 months into the training all natural "so far" and have seriously put on 15 pounds of solid mass. I look harder than when I started back up, and most my lifts are getting close to where I was back in the day. Not 100% by any means, but I can tell that it wont be long before I am lifting to my old max.

My muscles definitely look fuller and rounder.

Moral of the story, muscle memory is the real deal. And if anyone of you is trying to get back in the game it is never too late. I feel that within another year I will be 100% back to my old self, and I had trained heavy for 7 years before my injuries.

my goal is to continue putting on 1 pound of mass every week and a half or so, once that becomes an impossible task I will do what is necessary.
injury prone

SPRINKFSU

• Getbig III
Re: "muscle memory"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 06:03:08 PM »
I like the story but 15 pounds in 4 months natural?

if it works for you great.... I have been in this game for a long time.

udeluz

• Getbig IV
  • CLICK...CLICK...BOOM !!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
Hydro, I would like to see your diet

Great job bratha, its good to hear that you understand the true meaning of the lifestyle (Diet and training)

I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal
U

HYDROLICS

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 09:24:47 PM »
I like the story but 15 pounds in 4 months natural?

if it works for you great.... I have been in this game for a long time.

I know it sounds crazy. It has started to settle already. Keep in mind I am still quite a way from where I used to be. My diet changed drastically as well as my training( which was none ) and resting time.

I will post my diet in time.....too much typing for tonight. But just to give you a small analogy it was like switching from cheesy puffs to steak.
injury prone

HYDROLICS

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 10:30:01 PM »
well I decided it would not make to much sense to post my diet because it changes so much during the week ( I work shift work with 8 or 12 hour shifts ).

But basically I eat around 4500-5000 calories a day. I eat about 150-200 grams protein from whole foods and another 150 or so from protein drinks. My carbs are always high, I go hypoglycemic very easy so they are important to me. I really dont limit myself on them in the early meals, only the last two before bed. Unless I'm going to bed after work, in that case I keep them high till I'm done. I eat plenty of "good" fats in most my meals. And I generally "snack" between meals (which are spaced 3 hours apart). snacks are usually a handfull of almonds, half a meal replacement bar...whatever, anything to keep something in my stomach. I basically eat all day, like I'm trying to get fat! I stay very lean naturally (my body type) and lose weight effortlessly. So gaining is the hard part. The good news is that my body responds very fast to whatever I do.

BTW, I am not concerned at all about bodyfat%. mine never gets very high, and  I am too concerned about adding mass to be worried about a few pounds of fat that I can easily lose in the future.

I train as hard as I can for an hour 5 days a week, sometimes with an AM and PM training split (again, due to shift work). I train super heavy with low reps and toss in a few rest-pauses on my working sets. (borrowed from DC training). I get no less than 7 hours sleep each night as as much as 10 hours when I'm on 8 hour nights.

shift work is a bitch so I would stay away from it if I were any of you  :)

there you have it, not very pretty, but thats it. And more importantly....it is working for me.
injury prone

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:29:19 AM »
well I decided it would not make to much sense to post my diet because it changes so much during the week ( I work shift work with 8 or 12 hour shifts ).

But basically I eat around 4500-5000 calories a day. I eat about 150-200 grams protein from whole foods and another 150 or so from protein drinks. My carbs are always high, I go hypoglycemic very easy so they are important to me. I really dont limit myself on them in the early meals, only the last two before bed. Unless I'm going to bed after work, in that case I keep them high till I'm done. I eat plenty of "good" fats in most my meals. And I generally "snack" between meals (which are spaced 3 hours apart). snacks are usually a handfull of almonds, half a meal replacement bar...whatever, anything to keep something in my stomach. I basically eat all day, like I'm trying to get fat! I stay very lean naturally (my body type) and lose weight effortlessly. So gaining is the hard part. The good news is that my body responds very fast to whatever I do.

BTW, I am not concerned at all about bodyfat%. mine never gets very high, and  I am too concerned about adding mass to be worried about a few pounds of fat that I can easily lose in the future.

I train as hard as I can for an hour 5 days a week, sometimes with an AM and PM training split (again, due to shift work). I train super heavy with low reps and toss in a few rest-pauses on my working sets. (borrowed from DC training). I get no less than 7 hours sleep each night as as much as 10 hours when I'm on 8 hour nights.

shift work is a bitch so I would stay away from it if I were any of you  :)

there you have it, not very pretty, but thats it. And more importantly....it is working for me.

I agree whats the sense of "seeing someones diet" like it will work for everyone.  Posting of diets is meanigless and the people that follow them are lemmings.

People need to figure out what works for them, there is no magic diet, that will make you good.  Good genetics make you good and you either have them....or you dont.  No amount of gear in this world or diet can fix that.  And really following the BB lifestyle helps.... not being a poser or wannabe.  But first someone needs to know what that even means.

bigjohN79

• Getbig IV
  • FEAR THE BOG!!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »
Just recently (about 2 months) ago, I started working out again, it had been about 7-8 months since I had hit the gym, and I quickly gained alot of weight I had loss back.  I would say about 5-7 lbs in the past 2 months! So yes, it is the truth!
FEAR THE BAPP!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »
I've gained 18 pounds in 2 weeks...but i had surgery and was bed ridden for a week prior to that.

8)