Author Topic: WWE suspends 10 wrestlers for violatingwellness policy that requires drug tests  (Read 5064 times)

bigmike 79

• Getbig II
World Wrestling Entertainment, under fire since one of its top stars was involved in a double-murder suicide, announced the suspension of 10 of its wrestlers on Thursday.

They are being suspended for violating the WWE's "wellness policy."

The move comes as investigators from the Albany, N.Y., district attorney's office have been gathering information about steroid use by WWE wrestlers as part of a wide ranging investigation into online pharmacies and the doctors who write prescriptions for them.

WWE did not release the names of those suspended. A source close to the investigation said that WWE was told that the following wrestlers were among the clients of one of the pharmacies under investigation, Signature of Orlando: Shoichi Funaki, Dave Bautista, Adam "Edge" Copeland, Chris "Masters" Mordetsky, John "Johnny Nitro" Hennigan, and Shane Helms. Chris Benoit, the wrestler who killed his wife and son before hanging himself in June, was also a Signature client, as were two other wrestlers who recently died, Eddie Guerrero and Brian "Crush" Adams.

The Albany district attorney's office is examining online prescription mills where doctors get paid as little as $25 to issue online prescriptions, which in turn are filled by friendly pharmacies. In addition to Signature, its investigators raided pharmacies in Mobile, Ala. and Bay Ridge, N.Y.

Among those who have pleaded guilty are a Florida doctor named Claire Godfrey, who has admitted to prescribing performance-enhancing drugs at least two WWE wrestlers. In exchange for a plea that will keep her out of prison, she is cooperating with prosecutors.

The suspensions, which were accompanied by a WWE pledge to make future actions public after Nov. 1, comes at a time of mounting pressure on the WWE. A spokesman for the House Energy & Commerce Committee said Thursday that its commerce subcommittee will be holding hearings into the WWE in late September. The aide said a witness list has not been finalized.

Also looking into the company is the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. In a request that parallels what was asked of Major League Baseball, the committee is seeking a list of drugs covered by the WWE's policies, the number of tests it conducts annually, the protocols followed after a positive test and the procedures for awarding exemptions.

The issue of steroids and WWE largely faded until late June, when Benoit killed his wife and son in their suburban Atlanta home before hanging himself. His body was found to have 10 times the normal level of testosterone, as well as the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, authorities said.

The WWE instituted its current drug testing policy after the November 2005 death of Benoit's best friend, Guerrero, 38, who was found dead in a hotel room in Minneapolis. On Aug. 15, a day before WWE officials met with the Albany prosecutors, Adams, 44, was found dead of undetermined causes in his Florida home. Toxicology tests are pending.

The WWE has insisted that it randomly tests its 180 athletes at least four times a year. But its program has been criticized by a number of people, including David Black, the president of Aegis Sciences, a laboratory in Nashville that runs the WWE's testing program. "The intention is not to punish, but to get them [the wrestlers] to engage in a different lifestyle," Black said in a July story in the New York Times.  here is the link http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2998062

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
lol,,,,,,,,, what a load of shite, if they drug tested in the wwe propperly they would have no one never mind 10,,, or no one that anyone would want to see, i cant see any wrestler surviving without steroids and pain killers............ theres goin to be one hell of a witch hunt in your daft country now, hope your all prepaired!!!!

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
^^^^go to bed, if it wasnt for us, ''britania'' would been slaves to deutschland

MLAT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Vince Mcmahon probably suspended them so the government wont step in, so he can say that there policy is working.

RDW

• Getbig III
  • Get Big or Go Home
Vince Mcmahon probably suspended them so the government wont step in, so he can say that there policy is working.

You got it.  I'm quite discusted by the general american population that is nieve enough to think that the majority of professional athletes aren't on some form of scheduled performance enchancers.  What pisses me off more is that they think it is a new thing within the last 10 years, the so-called "steroid era".  Most decent althletes have been on AAS since the late 60s and early 70s, the ones who aren't are pussies quite frankly.  I expect the players I root for to do everything they possibly can to be at their peak performance level.  I just wish more people would stand up and admit they took them like Canseco did, but without naming the active and potential hall-of-famers like he did.  My biggest problem with professional sports now is that they give a shit that the players take them.  Anyone notice how home runs have dropped massively from MLB in the last few years since they have been actively investigating "performance enhancements".  A-rod is the only player with over 40 HR this year with only a month to go (And that's because he's a bad ass - GO YANKEES!).

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!

Caught a glimpse this morning on ESPN that congress in now going to investigate wrestling as well....

Don't we still have a guy named Bin Laden running around?? Ah, priorities of the government!

trab

• Getbig V
lol,,,,,,,,, what a load of shite, if they drug tested in the wwe propperly they would have no one never mind 10,,, or no one that anyone would want to see, i cant see any wrestler surviving without steroids and pain killers............ theres goin to be one hell of a witch hunt in your daft country now, hope your all prepaired!!!!

"Daft" is a major understatement.
The US politicians heads are so for up their ass, they will never see light of day.
It just gets worse and worse here. We even voted in a Islamic Congressman in Min. ::)
We spend million$ on baseball steroid and wrestling investigations.
We get rid of athletes access to sterile Human Pharma AAS and create a multibillion $ UG lab industry...

They are total failures and they charge a lot for that privilege.
If they keep it up the US$ will be worth about 1/4 of a Euro with a wrecked US economy and runaway hyperinflation.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
You got it.  I'm quite discusted by the general american population that is nieve enough to think that the majority of professional athletes aren't on some form of scheduled performance enchancers.  What pisses me off more is that they think it is a new thing within the last 10 years, the so-called "steroid era".  Most decent althletes have been on AAS since the late 60s and early 70s, the ones who aren't are pussies quite frankly.  I expect the players I root for to do everything they possibly can to be at their peak performance level.  I just wish more people would stand up and admit they took them like Canseco did, but without naming the active and potential hall-of-famers like he did.  My biggest problem with professional sports now is that they give a shit that the players take them.  Anyone notice how home runs have dropped massively from MLB in the last few years since they have been actively investigating "performance enhancements".  A-rod is the only player with over 40 HR this year with only a month to go (And that's because he's a bad ass - GO YANKEES!).

I agree (except for the A-rod thing - I hate him). With the ammount of money in professional sports all of them are looking for an edge.

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
Hey when is Vince going to suspend himself? How about John Cena....what a sham....
Just spot me BITCH!!!

trab

• Getbig V
Hey when is Vince going to suspend himself? How about John Cena....what a sham....

Good point. The ones getting suspended had the lack of judgment to use a legal clinic and
get their names on a list. The ones using Black market stuff apparently are not suspended it sounds like.
Just the Signature customers?

So, basically - Don't leave no paper trail is the message (To US  prof athletes). Even if it was legal.

trab

• Getbig V
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7174048?MSNHPHMA

They Use HGH Too.? Who'd of thunK?

The F'n 'scripts were assumed legal.  If not - the boys were defrauded.
Perhaps that violates WWE rules. Does not a legit medical indication to prescribe override a Co policy?.

These guys were within the law as far as they thought, and were told.

coolioni

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
World Wrestling Entertainment, under fire since one of its top stars was involved in a double-murder suicide, announced the suspension of 10 of its wrestlers on Thursday.

They are being suspended for violating the WWE's "wellness policy."

The move comes as investigators from the Albany, N.Y., district attorney's office have been gathering information about steroid use by WWE wrestlers as part of a wide ranging investigation into online pharmacies and the doctors who write prescriptions for them.

WWE did not release the names of those suspended. A source close to the investigation said that WWE was told that the following wrestlers were among the clients of one of the pharmacies under investigation, Signature of Orlando: Shoichi Funaki, Dave Bautista, Adam "Edge" Copeland, Chris "Masters" Mordetsky, John "Johnny Nitro" Hennigan, and Shane Helms. Chris Benoit, the wrestler who killed his wife and son before hanging himself in June, was also a Signature client, as were two other wrestlers who recently died, Eddie Guerrero and Brian "Crush" Adams.

The Albany district attorney's office is examining online prescription mills where doctors get paid as little as $25 to issue online prescriptions, which in turn are filled by friendly pharmacies. In addition to Signature, its investigators raided pharmacies in Mobile, Ala. and Bay Ridge, N.Y.

Among those who have pleaded guilty are a Florida doctor named Claire Godfrey, who has admitted to prescribing performance-enhancing drugs at least two WWE wrestlers. In exchange for a plea that will keep her out of prison, she is cooperating with prosecutors.

The suspensions, which were accompanied by a WWE pledge to make future actions public after Nov. 1, comes at a time of mounting pressure on the WWE. A spokesman for the House Energy & Commerce Committee said Thursday that its commerce subcommittee will be holding hearings into the WWE in late September. The aide said a witness list has not been finalized.

Also looking into the company is the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. In a request that parallels what was asked of Major League Baseball, the committee is seeking a list of drugs covered by the WWE's policies, the number of tests it conducts annually, the protocols followed after a positive test and the procedures for awarding exemptions.

The issue of steroids and WWE largely faded until late June, when Benoit killed his wife and son in their suburban Atlanta home before hanging himself. His body was found to have 10 times the normal level of testosterone, as well as the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, authorities said.

The WWE instituted its current drug testing policy after the November 2005 death of Benoit's best friend, Guerrero, 38, who was found dead in a hotel room in Minneapolis. On Aug. 15, a day before WWE officials met with the Albany prosecutors, Adams, 44, was found dead of undetermined causes in his Florida home. Toxicology tests are pending.

The WWE has insisted that it randomly tests its 180 athletes at least four times a year. But its program has been criticized by a number of people, including David Black, the president of Aegis Sciences, a laboratory in Nashville that runs the WWE's testing program. "The intention is not to punish, but to get them [the wrestlers] to engage in a different lifestyle," Black said in a July story in the New York Times.  here is the link http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2998062

If these guys all get suspended, the WWE is going to loose a bunch of top level talent.
Shoichi Funaki (low card talent)
 Dave Batista  (crowd favorite ) (likely next heavywieght champ )
 Adam "Edge" Copeland (another crowd favorite , another in line to become champ)
 Chris "Masters" Mordetsky (well known for using steriods) has already been banned for 2 months behind the scenes for his steriod use; he lost over 50lbs  and looked like crap when he came back, lost alot of muscle, but is now all jacked up and juiced to the gills!
 John "Johnny Nitro" Hennigan (Current WCW champ)- now changed his named to John Morrison ( a copy of the doors John Morrisson ).
 Shane Helms (Always in contention for cruiserweight title)
. Chris Benoit, the wrestler who killed his wife and son before hanging himself in June, as were two other wrestlers who recently died, Eddie Guerrero and Brian "Crush" Adams.

The WWE has turned into nothing but a bodybuilding show.
This is what the people want to see.
Not a bunch of Fat out of shape guys!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
If these guys all get suspended, the WWE is going to loose a bunch of top level talent.
Shoichi Funaki (low card talent)
 Dave Batista  (crowd favorite ) (likely next heavywieght champ )
 Adam "Edge" Copeland (another crowd favorite , another in line to become champ)
 Chris "Masters" Mordetsky (well known for using steriods) has already been banned for 2 months behind the scenes for his steriod use; he lost over 50lbs  and looked like crap when he came back, lost alot of muscle, but is now all jacked up and juiced to the gills!
 John "Johnny Nitro" Hennigan (Current WCW champ)- now changed his named to John Morrison ( a copy of the doors John Morrisson ).
 Shane Helms (Always in contention for cruiserweight title)
. Chris Benoit, the wrestler who killed his wife and son before hanging himself in June, as were two other wrestlers who recently died, Eddie Guerrero and Brian "Crush" Adams.

The WWE has turned into nothing but a bodybuilding show.
This is what the people want to see.
Not a bunch of Fat out of shape guys!

I hope you ment Jim Morrison. Show some respect for the Lizard King.  ;)

coolioni

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
i meant "jim"  he goes by the name "john" morrison since his real name is john.

trab

• Getbig V
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7177466?MSNHPHMA

Here, Football Players MEDICAL/ HEALTH CARE RECORDS also VIOLATED.

I hope, that end game, Mr. Albany NY DA  is disbarred.
There was innuendo to exactly that in MD by some very High Powered  Attorneys.

These guys were within the Law receiving this stuff. It was simply a violation of their employers policy.

This, is WRONG, and I suspect Illegal to release their medical papers.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!

Yeah, Vince is quite hypocritical....he is on more GH and gear than most of his athletes.

What do you expect though. These guys beat the shit out of themselves and are expected to take a Tylenol to recover?

C'mon, they are not hurting anyone and you can not do what they do night in and out without some recovery agents...

trab

• Getbig V
FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR A PUNK ASS NY DA.
(Duke DA)
1. Disbarred
2. Jail record, regardless that its only 1 day.

Personally, I think he should of got 1yr min for wrecking those guys lives.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20529618/

trab

• Getbig V
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7175228?MSNHPHMA

Now..
"The Rock"  NEVER used AAS in his Wrestling career Uh Huh...  ::)

Deny Deny Deny...

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Yeah, Vince is quite hypocritical....he is on more GH and gear than most of his athletes.

What do you expect though. These guys beat the shit out of themselves and are expected to take a Tylenol to recover?

C'mon, they are not hurting anyone and you can not do what they do night in and out without some recovery agents...

I had the pleasure of meeting Vince at the MR O years ago.  And have to say he's a nice guy, he was quick to give me a compliment (maybe thats why I like him LOL) and did not seem big headed or anything, came across as cool to me.  Yeah its his buissness but my first impression of him was good.

musclemass

• Getbig II
Where I live, a Dr was just busted for selling steroids to people and part of his plea bargain was to turn over the complete list of people he was selling to. I can't go into great detail about this, because it's pretty much a hush- hush situation, but It has caused a serious problem for the police dept that busted him- it was brought to their attention that ALOT, and i do mean a whole lot- of their officers names were on that list.

musclemass

• Getbig II
As far as the WWF, I personally do not watch or care for that staged crap- but if the guys werent as muscled up as they are, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have nearly as many fans. Thats what the people want to see, big, muscled up men, pretending to beat the hell out of each other. We all know that those guys wouldn't be nearly as big as they are, or as impressive as they are, if it wasn't for the "lucky charms". No AAS, no WWF. (not as much fun for the kids to watch anyway).

Alot of kids look up to those big muscled up guys, BECAUSE they are big and muscled up. Theres a shit load of kids working out with their dads equipment in their garage, staring at posters of guys like John Cena, wishing to look like them one day.

Juice........... it does a body good!!

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
I had the pleasure of meeting Vince at the MR O years ago.  And have to say he's a nice guy, he was quick to give me a compliment (maybe thats why I like him LOL) and did not seem big headed or anything, came across as cool to me.  Yeah its his buissness but my first impression of him was good.

I agree he was cool when I met him too but just saying he uses just as much as his athletes.

coolioni

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
That is complete B.S. they are all still wrestling to this week!
Exept Edge who supposedly has an injury, but all the rest are still wrestling!

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
That is complete B.S. they are all still wrestling to this week!
Exept Edge who supposedly has an injury, but all the rest are still wrestling!

Edge just had surgery, thats why he is off right now....and yes everything is a pharse for the ratings...I thought the Eddie Gurrero death was staged until I looked into it further...
Just spot me BITCH!!!

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7175228?MSNHPHMA

Now..
"The Rock"  NEVER used AAS in his Wrestling career Uh Huh...  ::)

Deny Deny Deny...

I don't know back home I've seen some fairly built farmboys that are too poor to afford juice if they wanted to. Certain genetics can do it natural..especially if they've been an athlete most their young life. They percentage of those individuals has to be like 10% or less though.

Even lower I bet for anyone creeping past the 240lbs mark and staying under 10%BF