Author Topic: whats your average weight used on shrugs  (Read 14415 times)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: whats your average weight used on shrugs
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 02:49:13 AM »
I use pretty light weights with shrugs.  I only use dumbbells and the heaviest i would go is the 120's. I use high reps and a long range of motion as possible, really squeezing hard at the top and holding it for a few seconds.

My traps are shit though. Don't respond to any training type very well.
No doubt about it...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 06:35:07 AM »
I don't do barbell shrugs anymore. Every other week or so I do a couple sets of dumbbell shrugs (50lbs. & maybe 20-30 reps depending on how I feel).

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »
IMO , narrow grip upright rows are a better trap builder than shrugs. So many guys load up plates (700 lbs, oh brother  ::)) and do bouncy reps. It is one of the easiest exercises to do half reps with.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
Power shrugs with 675 with straps for sets of 5 reps.

Strict shrugs with a pause at the top with 495 for 10-15 reps.

Now i use the hammer strength shrug machine seated with 5 plates per side for 10-12 reps.

Deadlifts build them very well but i still like to work them. My traps are always extremely sore after a powerlifting meet where i max out on deads.

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »

Now i use the hammer strength shrug machine seated with 5 plates per side for 10-12 reps.

Deadlifts build them very well but i still like to work them. My traps are always extremely sore after a powerlifting meet where i max out on deads.

8)
bullshit.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 02:48:34 PM »
bullshit.

OK OK OK...i'll be honest, i got 11 reps when doing the hammer shrugs WITH straps!!!

i'll get 12 this thursday!

8)

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
OK OK OK...i'll be honest, i got 11 reps when doing the hammer shrugs WITH straps!!!

i'll get 12 this thursday!

8)

Thatīs why you call yourself "O v e r l o a d"......(and to do so, 2 things are important, "goalsetting & motivation"...)

sometimes i`m real angry before my next workout, because i know what i had done in the last workout for the same musclegroups 5-7 days before, and i always have my minimum goal to reach the same reps & weights than in the workout before, but honestly i don`t like it if i can`t do 1-2 reps more....when i reach a plateau iīll rest a few days, and start with a new workout routine....

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 03:29:55 PM »
Thatīs why you call yourself "O v e r l o a d"......(and to do so, 2 things are important, "goalsetting & motivation"...)

sometimes i`m real angry before my next workout, because i know what i had done in the last workout for the same musclegroups 5-7 days before, and i always have my minimum goal to reach the same reps & weights than in the workout before, but honestly i don`t like it if i can`t do 1-2 reps more....when i reach a plateau iīll rest a few days, and start with a new workout routine....

My name comes from Max-OT, which has been a staple of my training for a long time. i think it is a great protocol for beginners and advanced lifters.

i train like you mentioned, each workout i either get 1-2 more reps or i add 5 pounds.

8)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »

8)

Don't troll the training board bro.

Not cool.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »

My traps are shit though. Don't respond to any training type very well.

Don't even respond to high reps?  Ever tried low reps, bigger weights?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »
Don't troll the training board bro.

Not cool.

Coming from a troll?

makes sence i guess from a limited frame of reference.

i'll let you kids continue, i'd hate to post up numbers you guys don't find possible with 10+ years of powerlifting and gear use. i've posted my lifts for years and still you kids cry.

Good luck.

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 08:36:43 AM »
Coming from a troll?

makes sence i guess from a limited frame of reference.

i'll let you kids continue, i'd hate to post up numbers you guys don't find possible with 10+ years of powerlifting and gear use. i've posted my lifts for years and still you kids cry.

Good luck.

8)
yeah like the 590 bench at 220 that you never provided proof of, right? ::)

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 09:37:24 AM »
well, i feel like a baby besides so many monsters LOL but i will be honest,

the heaviest set i go with something between 270-300 lbs, on the bar shugs (on the front) for 8 -10 reps, more or less quick movement but holding like 2 seconds on the top....
if i go heavier i cant do the movement properly, this is the max poundage for me at the moment...but im gaining very good gains with it (i came from non-existant traps to medium-good looking ones  ;D)

when i finish the veins in my neck looks like they are going to explode
!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 11:11:41 AM »
if you havnt put far too much weight on the bar for shrugs youve never lived... actualy, i like to do them drop set style.. start at 5 which is probaly a bit too heavy then 4 then 3 plates... i think the heavy stretch under that load does them the world of good

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
yeah like the 590 bench at 220 that you never provided proof of, right? ::)

I honestly don't care if people believe me or not. i lift for myself, not internet morons with no life.

BUT, i'll make an exception JUST FOR YOU DAVEY!!!

YOU post a video of your 495 pound squats for 12 DEEP reps and i'll post the video's of my 590 bench, 635 deadlift and deadlift 405 for 18 reps with a 1 second pause between each rep. all of these are drug free lifts as well!!!

DEAL?

PM if you don't want to post it here.

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 01:04:31 PM »
I honestly don't care if people believe me or not. i lift for myself, not internet morons with no life.

BUT, i'll make an exception JUST FOR YOU DAVEY!!!

YOU post a video of your 495 pound squats for 12 DEEP reps and i'll post the video's of my 590 bench, 635 deadlift and deadlift 405 for 18 reps with a 1 second pause between each rep. all of these are drug free lifts as well!!!

DEAL?

PM if you don't want to post it here.

8)
hahahaha, i never claimed to squat 495 for 12 moron, just post the video, shit a 590 bench at 220 will make you the pound for pound strongest guy on getbig, just post it up.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
I've never really gone higher than 405lbs for shrugs - don't see the point. I'd rather hammer out 20 reps with 315 on the bar than do the strange "holding the bar at waist level calf raises" which I see some people doing.

Hammer shrugs are great though for ego lifters - when holding the bars your palms are facing your outer thighs and you can put 8 or 9 plates on there and rep out with ease. Not a true reflection of strength though.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »
you dont need alot of weight to build traps... focus on form and trap contractions and you can build a good look with just dumbells, plus your forearms will get bigger if you use dumbells.

at least, in my limited experience, that is what i have found.

for my own weights..i use to go as heavy as my gym dumbells would go (120 lbs), but i have lowered the weight and go for higher reps with better form and a firmer grip and i see alot better shape to my traps without any loss in size, and my forearms are growing as well.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »
Do you guys do the shrugs "up and down", or that "up and roll" (like Levrone in MM3)  motion? Because I find that I could use more weight with the up and down motion, but had to really lower the weight to do it "up and roll" motion .

Also how do ya'll rate dumbell shrugs vs. barbell shrugs

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
Do you guys do the shrugs "up and down", or that "up and roll" (like Levrone in MM3)  motion? Because I find that I could use more weight with the up and down motion, but had to really lower the weight to do it "up and roll" motion .

Also how do ya'll rate dumbell shrugs vs. barbell shrugs

I prefer the "straight up and down" motion - that rolling thing that Levrone does may suit some people but I just find it doesn't place any extra stress on the traps or stimulate growth any better.

Prefer barbell to dumbell.

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
I currently only use 315 lbs on my heaviest sets, from the front and with straps.  I know that's not too impressive, considering the amount of weight some other guys are posting.  I only use enough to get the job done and aim for 10 - 12 full-range reps, but I am going all-out and only terminate the set when I can only get half-reps.  I'm concerned with trap development; not how much weight I can use.  I use a semi-explosive movement, which for me is actually pretty strict compared to most guys I see in the gym. 

I also don't stand perfectly straight up.  I bend at the waist about 10 degrees and maintain that position throughout the entire set.  I can feel the traps work a lot better that way.  If you think about it, the traps are located on top of your shoulder girdle but also slightly to the rear. With the slight bend at the waist, I feel I am using gravity to its best advantage to get a direct hit on the traps in this manner.  Might not be for everyone though; give it a try and see if it suits you.

I almost always start my trap workout with behind the back shrugs though, originally popularized by Lee Haney back in the day.  These are a bit like mini upright rows from the rear though, since I do bend my elbows as I pull the bar as high as possible (which is only a couple inches higher than the top of my glutes).  I currently only go up to 205 lbs with these, but I need a light enough weight that I can still feel my traps squeeze in the top position and feel my shoulder blades squeeze together as well.  I work within a power rack with this exercise.  Picking up a heavy barbell off the floor from behind your back puts your lower back in a bad position and the potential for injury is too great; with the power rack, you only need to initially lift the bar a few inches and you can begin your reps already.  I feel this is the best overall trap exercise.

DB Shrugs are great too.  I get the best feel by holding the bells with my palms at a 45 degree angle slightly to the side of my thighs, rather than directly in front with palms straight in line (such as mimicking holding a barbell) or directly to my sides with palms facing each other.  I currently am able to use 120 lbs to 130 lbs bells, but again weight is relative.

For all exercises, no matter what bodypart is being trained, I can't stress enough about squeezing the muscles involved from the time the set starts to the time it's done.  For example, when training traps, I'm squeezing my traps, entire shoulder girdle, legs, arms, and concentrate on keeping my trunk sturdy and stable even BEFORE I move the weight an inch, and I don't let up until the set is done.  Also, you need to always challenge yourself to get one or two more reps than the last workout or be able to add a little bit more weight resistance while still being able to reach the same number of reps you did the last time.  Realistically, you can't reach this goal every workout. But you need to always strive for it no matter what.  A training log is important so that you can look back two, three, four weeks ago and see what you were able to do back then and try to improve upon it (either with rep increase or weight increase).

Although I'm only into my 5th month back into training after a 7-year layoff, overall I have more than a decade of experience prior to my layoff so I know what works best for my body.  My strength is steadily improving, and more importantly I'm adding muscle steadily as well.  I'm currently at 280 lbs at 5' 10.5"; I've got a little bit of a belly, but it's getting better slowly but surely. :P

Sorry for the long-ass post, but anybody can just state in two sentences what exercises they use.  The purpose of this board is to help others right?  I hope my post helps somebody out there.  Good luck everybody!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »
a great peice of kit for shrugs used to be the old universal benchpress machines, where its attached to 4 stations( decades old )  u could load the handles up with plates and rep out

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »
great post Lucky Lance...constant tension on the targeted muscle throughout the entire range of motion..that's the key for any exercise..for me 225-315 for bbshrugs..

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 11:34:52 PM »
I currently only use 315 lbs on my heaviest sets, from the front and with straps.  I know that's not too impressive, considering the amount of weight some other guys are posting.  I only use enough to get the job done and aim for 10 - 12 full-range reps, but I am going all-out and only terminate the set when I can only get half-reps.  I'm concerned with trap development; not how much weight I can use.  I use a semi-explosive movement, which for me is actually pretty strict compared to most guys I see in the gym. 

I also don't stand perfectly straight up.  I bend at the waist about 10 degrees and maintain that position throughout the entire set.  I can feel the traps work a lot better that way.  If you think about it, the traps are located on top of your shoulder girdle but also slightly to the rear. With the slight bend at the waist, I feel I am using gravity to its best advantage to get a direct hit on the traps in this manner.  Might not be for everyone though; give it a try and see if it suits you.

I almost always start my trap workout with behind the back shrugs though, originally popularized by Lee Haney back in the day.  These are a bit like mini upright rows from the rear though, since I do bend my elbows as I pull the bar as high as possible (which is only a couple inches higher than the top of my glutes).  I currently only go up to 205 lbs with these, but I need a light enough weight that I can still feel my traps squeeze in the top position and feel my shoulder blades squeeze together as well.  I work within a power rack with this exercise.  Picking up a heavy barbell off the floor from behind your back puts your lower back in a bad position and the potential for injury is too great; with the power rack, you only need to initially lift the bar a few inches and you can begin your reps already.  I feel this is the best overall trap exercise.

DB Shrugs are great too.  I get the best feel by holding the bells with my palms at a 45 degree angle slightly to the side of my thighs, rather than directly in front with palms straight in line (such as mimicking holding a barbell) or directly to my sides with palms facing each other.  I currently am able to use 120 lbs to 130 lbs bells, but again weight is relative.

For all exercises, no matter what bodypart is being trained, I can't stress enough about squeezing the muscles involved from the time the set starts to the time it's done.  For example, when training traps, I'm squeezing my traps, entire shoulder girdle, legs, arms, and concentrate on keeping my trunk sturdy and stable even BEFORE I move the weight an inch, and I don't let up until the set is done.  Also, you need to always challenge yourself to get one or two more reps than the last workout or be able to add a little bit more weight resistance while still being able to reach the same number of reps you did the last time.  Realistically, you can't reach this goal every workout. But you need to always strive for it no matter what.  A training log is important so that you can look back two, three, four weeks ago and see what you were able to do back then and try to improve upon it (either with rep increase or weight increase).

Although I'm only into my 5th month back into training after a 7-year layoff, overall I have more than a decade of experience prior to my layoff so I know what works best for my body.  My strength is steadily improving, and more importantly I'm adding muscle steadily as well.  I'm currently at 280 lbs at 5' 10.5"; I've got a little bit of a belly, but it's getting better slowly but surely. :P

Sorry for the long-ass post, but anybody can just state in two sentences what exercises they use.  The purpose of this board is to help others right?  I hope my post helps somebody out there.  Good luck everybody!

Next time please say in 20 words or less.  Thanks.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 01:17:24 AM »
Next time please say in 20 words or less.  Thanks.

Haha yeah. There could have been some good info in there, but i'm not gonna read for 10 minutes to find out.
No doubt about it...