Author Topic: so i got 12 weeks....  (Read 2884 times)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
so i got 12 weeks....
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
OK so I will be doing my first meet September 6 for NASA which puts me at about 12 weeks to prepare. A couple of guys finally convinced me to try it out. So I'm looking for some routine with weight i should be working out with. I took this week to max out to give me an idea of where I'm at and where i should be. Keep in my these were gym lifts.... up until now i did a five day BB split but i know that wont cut it anymore I'm looking to compete at the 242 lbs level. I'm currently 252... any help would be appreciated
Bench 405
Deadlift 675
Squat 585

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: so i got 12 weeks....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »
OK so I will be doing my first meet September 6 for NASA which puts me at about 12 weeks to prepare. A couple of guys finally convinced me to try it out. So I'm looking for some routine with weight i should be working out with. I took this week to max out to give me an idea of where I'm at and where i should be. Keep in my these were gym lifts.... up until now i did a five day BB split but i know that wont cut it anymore I'm looking to compete at the 242 lbs level. I'm currently 252... any help would be appreciated
Bench 405
Deadlift 675
Squat 585

Those a RAW or a single Ply max?  You planning on competing equipt or RAW?

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »
those maxes were done raw i don't even own a shirt  :-\ I'm planning on competing raw

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:00:30 PM »
I was told on another board that at my weight of 252 in 12 weeks i could probably drop down to 242. Then a week or so before start to dehydrate and carb deplete to try compete @ 220. Weigh ins will be held 6 p.m. Friday Sep. 5th and the lifting will begin September 6th @ 9 am  I think. My questions are
1. Is a drop of 22 pounds of water weight achievable?( within reason)
2. How much strength will i lose due to the initial lose of ten pounds followed by the lose of 22 pounds of glucose and water from my system.?
3. Is it worth it or should I just aim to compete at 242 ? 

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »
I was told on another board that at my weight of 252 in 12 weeks i could probably drop down to 242. Then a week or so before start to dehydrate and carb deplete to try compete @ 220. Weigh ins will be held 6 p.m. Friday Sep. 5th and the lifting will begin September 6th @ 9 am  I think. My questions are
2. How much strength will i lose due to the initial lose of ten pounds followed by the lose of 22 pounds of glucose and water from my system.?

i know from bodybuilding experience that when depleting for a show my strength is greatly affected when i lose the kind if weight that you are talking about. I would suggest to drop down to 242 and give it a go there in that class.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »
I would think that in 3 months if you wanted to you could drop 10-15 lbs and then drop the rest in water if you wanted to. I used to wrestle and losing water weight is not the best way to retain alot of strength so i probably wouldnt if I were you and 22lbs goodness ive lost like 12lbs in about 24 hours of sweating and it was pure misery i couldnt imagine 22lbs LOL that would be brutal. Ive never done powerlifting before so i might be off here but at any rate good luck in your lifts.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
Monday – Squat
Thursday – Bench
Friday – Deadlift

Squat, 3 warm-up sets, then 2 work sets

Good Mornings 2 x 8-10

Leg Press 2 x 8-10

Leg Curls 4 x 8-10

Sit-ups 3 sets
---------------------
Bench, 3 warm-up sets, then 2 work sets

Close Grip Bench 2 x 8-10

DB Inclines 2 x 8-10

Triceps Extensions 4 x 10

DB Lateral Raises 2 x 12
-------------------------
Deadlift – Warm-up, then 1 work set

Supported Rows 4 x 8

Shrugs 2 x 8-12

Hammer Curls 4 x 10

Sit-ups 3 sets

The work-sets for the big three are planned out over 8 to 12 weeks, in a method called periodization. The first two weeks are usually at a lighter weight, for sets of 8 or 10. Then, as you move through the cycle, the weight is increased, and the reps are decreased. The idea is that by the end of the cycle you are going for an all-out PR triple or double, in preparation for a meet. There are plenty of examples of peaking cycles on the web. The remainder of the each workout is focused on “Assistance” exercises, which develop component muscles in each of the core lift. So after squats, you train the glutes, quads, and hams. After bench, focus on the triceps, pecs, and front delts from different angles. After deadlifts, work the lats, traps, spinal erectors and grip. 
As the weights get heavier, and you get closer to the end of the cycle, the assistance work changes from sets of 8 to 10 down to sets of 4 to 6 reps. Most assistance is dropped on the day when you go for your biggest weights, 2 weeks before the meet. Then take a week off before competing to rest and recover.
Pick all your assistance exercises based on feel, and based on perceived weaknesses. The movements listed above are just common examples for reference. Some believe that assistance exercises should be rotated periodically, like very 3-4 weeks, to prevent boredom and to help focus on different weaknesses.

Some lifters do deadlifts every other week, because they tend to over-train their lower back when deadlifting every week.
Masters- 50-54
148#