Author Topic: cardio while bulking?  (Read 3067 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
cardio while bulking?
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:26:05 AM »
20 mins in the morning

and

20 mins pwo

5 days a week....

Is it a good idea for a clean and slow "bulk"?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: cardio while bulking?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »
I would only do it once a day and bump it up to 30 min if bulking.  But if you want you can do what you mentioned and I don't think it will harm anything.  Now cue the permabulkers telling you that you can't do any cardio while bulking because you will go catabolic and burn off all your muscle.  ::)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »
I would only do it once a day and bump it up to 30 min if bulking.  But if you want you can do what you mentioned and I don't think it will harm anything.  Now cue the permabulkers telling you that you can't do any cardio while bulking because you will go catabolic and burn off all your muscle.  ::)

I was thinking that in the morning and pwo, your body will use fat as energy, so i dont see how it can harm any gains.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 05:47:49 AM »
Yeah I really wouldn't worry about harming gains unless you are training like a morathon runner and going over 5 miles, which I doubt ANY getbigger is doing. 

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »
Yeah I really wouldn't worry about harming gains unless you are training like a morathon runner and going over 5 miles, which I doubt ANY getbigger is doing. 

im also juicing now, so that wouldn't be a problem... i just want to eat everything i want as much as i want and do these 40 mins of cardio a day to help me boost my metabolism.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 06:18:39 AM »
sounds good.  Get to it. 

The Nub Monster

• Getbig II
  • 14 WORDS!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:24:02 AM »

LOLZ

Personally speaking I would also bump it up to 30mins and do it first thing after you get up.  You will be burning BF and be ravenously hungry throughout the day - IMO leave the PWO cardio alone for now and emphasize recovery after training. 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:27:26 AM »
Most always have room for cardio (if you think you REALLY need it) when bulking/juiced, but try not letting it get out of hand. Consider a interval style of cardio training. Something along the line of Dr Tabata's method. Under 10 minutes, with probably 3 to 4 times a week. Can sprint, jump rope, spin bike, run steps, punch a heavy bag, rowing machine, squat, DL, etc. Apply this to any interval program you wish, I just prefer Tabata, my choice only.

Can check Tabata out yourself, the basic idea being 20 second full effort followed by a 10 second pause than back to 20 second full force, than a 10 second pause again, etc. Usually 6 to 8 cycles are done in a Tabata session. Builds up the V02 max very quickly and in return helps to burn fat (not muscle) throughout the day. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
meso i wouldnt do too much cardio when trying to add size. you can do light cardio first thing in the morning to burn off some fat, but i wouldnt do it after your workout. and make sure in the morning you are doing real light cardio... just take a walk around your neighborhood.

you should be able to eat what you like and not get fat if you train hard, eat high protein, take your juice, and do light morning cardio 3-5 times a week.

Nizar

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »
I generally do cardio for 30min at least 2-3 times a week. Previously I just trained with weights exclusively but after adding cardio I have more energy throughout the day. As someone mentioned earlier I have a pretty ravenous feeding throughout the day.

I've never done cardio early morning. It's always in the evening. On arm days I tend to do 15 min higher intensity cardio afterwards since its not as exhausting as after training larger bodyparts.

tinbeater36

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
LOLZ

Personally speaking I would also bump it up to 30mins and do it first thing after you get up.  You will be burning BF and be ravenously hungry throughout the day - IMO leave the PWO cardio alone for now and emphasize recovery after training. 

ive been thinking about doing pre-breakfast cardio as ive read a lot of info supporting what you say here; but then other guys say you burn too much muscle... thoughts or ideas???? im just trying to figure out what will work for me

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
20 mins in the morning

and

20 mins pwo

5 days a week....

Nothing wrong with that.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 12:03:38 AM »

The Nub Monster

• Getbig II
  • 14 WORDS!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »
ive been thinking about doing pre-breakfast cardio as ive read a lot of info supporting what you say here; but then other guys say you burn too much muscle... thoughts or ideas???? im just trying to figure out what will work for me

Pre-breakfast cardio will not burn muscle as long as the intensity/time period is not ridiculous.  Have some aminos and glutamine before it if you are that concerned.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »
20 mins in the morning

and

20 mins pwo

5 days a week....

Nasser recommends cardio 3-4 times a week at 30-45 minutes.  He considered it a must to do in the offseason, and did it after working out with weights.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »
Nasser recommends cardio 3-4 times a week at 30-45 minutes.  He considered it a must to do in the offseason, and did it after working out with weights.

ask him what he thinks in the morning...

anyway thats some great info, thanks a lot

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:54:52 AM »
10 min warm up and 10 min interval seems to be a minimum to help your hearth.
asstropin

tinbeater36

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
started the pre-breakfast cardio this morning - did 2.5miles in 30min at intervals from 4mph to 6mph. had black coffee, beta alanine and glutamine before i went. we'll see how it goes... thoughts and opinions are always welcome

tinbeater36

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »
started the pre-breakfast cardio this morning - did 2.5miles in 30min at intervals from 4mph to 6mph. had black coffee, beta alanine and glutamine before i went. we'll see how it goes... thoughts and opinions are always welcome

just got home from lifting (lifted about 8 hours after cardio for about 1.25 hours) - tired as hell! even more so than normal - this may take some time to get used to

The Coach

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »

Doesn't make that much difference when you do it. Doesn't make sense to do any "cardio" in the morning before breakfast when you probably haven't ate anything for 7-10 hours. Why do anything on an empty stomach with no fuel. Fuel burns, fumes don't!

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 09:51:26 AM »

why does he consider it 'a must' ?

what does he recommend when dieting?
tank u jesus