Author Topic: treadmill???  (Read 5160 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
treadmill???
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
In regards to the treadmill, how fast should I be walking in order to burn fat effectively???? Is an incline necessary for fat burning??? Thanks in advance.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: treadmill???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »
In regards to the treadmill, how fast should I be walking in order to burn fat effectively???? Is an incline necessary for fat burning??? Thanks in advance.

Some excellent info about walking for weight loss, etc., is available at http://walking.about.com/

~

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

I've been doing post-workout cardio for the last 2 years now. I've never gone over more than 2.8mph...people look at me and "order" me to walk or run faster. I go by my heart rate, and if it's not in the range of 130-140, I use the incline to raise my HR.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10:06 PM »
I've been doing post-workout cardio for the last 2 years now. I've never gone over more than 2.8mph...people look at me and "order" me to walk or run faster. I go by my heart rate, and if it's not in the range of 130-140, I use the incline to raise my HR.

What incline at 2.8?  That seems awfully slow to achieve a H/R of 130-140.
:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:45:42 PM »
First thing I thought of.......seems like a slow mph to achieve 130-140HR. :-\
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
YB might have a higher than average pulse.

My resting heart rate used to fall between 85-95 bpm depending on breathing, and that was when I did an hour of cardio divided between the Stairmaster, cross-trainer, and treadmill on a regular basis.

It’s always been high, and certainly not because I was out of shape.
Now, several years later, the lowest it reads at rest is 75 – just took it now – not a big improvement, but one nonetheless.

Point is:
Starting with a faster pulse before even beginning a cardio session, I can reach a level that most trainers consider high with minimal effort.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:54:28 AM »
First thing I thought of.......seems like a slow mph to achieve 130-140HR. :-\

I did too, but he did say "post workout" so that may be why his HR is elevated at 2.8 mph.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:27:02 AM »
Also, be sure to check your hr with a strap or manually.  The handheld hr monitors are only about 85% accurate AT BEST....

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:22:40 AM »
Thank you guys!! Really do appreciate all the input here!!

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »

Notice I said 2.8MPH sweetheart! ;) :-*

I walk at 2.8 miles per hour, and the incline of the treadmill varies. I usually start flat, then progress to 2.0 for two minutes, then up to 5.0 for two minutes, then maybe back to 2.0 for another two minutes, and up to 12.0 for two minutes, then 8.0 for two minutes, 15.0 for two minutes etc....
If I feel I'm not working hard enough (I seem to be able to guess my heart rate fairly close, but still use the machine) I will just increase the incline. The longer I walk at a steeper incline, the higher my heart rate gets. By the end of a 15.0/2min @ 2.8mph, I'm in the 145-155bpm range. That's plenty high for me and the effect I'm after. This all depends on the machine too. Some machines will say I'm at X heart rate, and the next day I'm doing the same routine (with as many factors the same-as much as I can control) and I will be slower by 10-15bpm.
Whatever works, and this is what cuts me up like nothing else.
(By the way, I will divvy up the cardio once I hit 30min+ per session....15min treadmill, another 15min on The Gauntlet etc....)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 06:58:09 AM »
Just ran 7.5 mph for 40 minutes with changing of the incline.  I'm 50 years old.   The heart is a muscle to be trained.  The more you train your heart the lower your resting pulse will be and the slower it will rise with effort.  I have always tried to balance cardio/endurance training with strength.  I learned how important good cardio while ground fighting a much weaker opponent in the dojo.  He just never got tired, winded or gassed.  All the strength in the world is useless if you gas. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:30:01 AM »
Just ran 7.5 mph for 40 minutes with changing of the incline.  I'm 50 years old.   The heart is a muscle to be trained. 

Do you think that when you're doing squats and your heart is racing as you pump out your 20th rep with a weight you can only do 8 with....you think your heart is not being trained?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »
It's a different system.  It's the difference between the ratios of aerobic and anaerobic.  Yes you can hit max heart rate by sprinting for 200 yards or doing a 20 rep squat but it's far from optimal for an aerobic effect. Doing 20 rep squats to failure I would venture to say your only burning 35 calories max.  VO2 max refers to the maximum amount of oxygen used not just max heart rate. 

This reminds me of the old Arthur Jones argument when he stated using his machines was a better way of doing aerobics.  The biggest mistake was using heart rate as the soul parmeter of aerobic effectiveness.  It has to be combined with oxygen uptake which falls far short with this type anaerobic type activety.  A good study for this is from St. John's Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota and Arizona State U in the 4-85 addition of the "The Physician and Sportsmedicine."  The energy for the first 90 seconds or so of an exercise is using carbohydrates without the use of the aerobic oxygen exchage system.  They used 14 Nautilus machines done to failure with very little rest inbetween machines.  This burned an average total of 171 calories.

Don't get me wrong. Aerobic systems and anaerobic systems should be used in any exercise programs. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »
It's a different system.  It's the difference between the ratios of aerobic and anaerobic.  Yes you can hit max heart rate by sprinting for 200 yards or doing a 20 rep squat but it's far from optimal for an aerobic effect. Doing 20 rep squats to failure I would venture to say your only burning 35 calories max.  VO2 max refers to the maximum amount of oxygen used not just max heart rate. 

This reminds me of the old Arthur Jones argument when he stated using his machines was a better way of doing aerobics.  The biggest mistake was using heart rate as the soul parmeter of aerobic effectiveness.  It has to be combined with oxygen uptake which falls far short with this type anaerobic type activety.  A good study for this is from St. John's Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota and Arizona State U in the 4-85 addition of the "The Physician and Sportsmedicine."  The energy for the first 90 seconds or so of an exercise is using carbohydrates without the use of the aerobic oxygen exchage system.  They used 14 Nautilus machines done to failure with very little rest inbetween machines.  This burned an average total of 171 calories.

Don't get me wrong. Aerobic systems and anaerobic systems should be used in any exercise programs. 

I know it's different systems, but do you still feel your heart will not benefit at all from anaerobic versus aerobic? Either way, I think your heart is being worked and will have to adapt in some way, shape or form.

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 07:18:14 PM »

Just me....

Offseason:  30-45 minutes, 4.0, 0-5 incline, 4 times per week

Precontest:  60 minutes, 4.0, 5-10 incline, 2 sessions per day 6-7 days per week 5 months out

IMO, women definitely need to "incline it" to get the glute/ham tie-in goin' on.  Guys seem to be lucky in this department.  Yes, I am jealous. :) 

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
Just me....

Precontest:  60 minutes, 4.0, 5-10 incline, 2 sessions per day 6-7 days per week 5 months out

IMO, women definitely need to "incline it" to get the glute/ham tie-in goin' on.  Guys seem to be lucky in this department.  Yes, I am jealous. :) 

thanks, jade!!!!

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 11:59:13 PM »
Just me....

Makes sense. Women carry a lot more of their fat there. Can't compare training and cardio regimes in that regard. Keep up the great work!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »
I know it's different systems, but do you still feel your heart will not benefit at all from anaerobic versus aerobic? Either way, I think your heart is being worked and will have to adapt in some way, shape or form.

Don't hold your breath, this guy makes his proclamations then disappears, out of fear i think. Besides which he lives up to the name; a little too old-skool, bereft of open-mindedness is what i've seen.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Pumpster if you are referring to me with your insults, get a life kid.  I bet you live in a room in your mama's house.  What do you do for a living, deliver pizzas?  You say I have fear in posting?   No, I have a life that's why I don't post here constantly. I have no fear in posting.  You have no idea of what my fear level is but I have proven myself again and again in ways that a punk like you can only fantasize about.  I have seen pictures of your home gym and you are a clown with a big ego who knows little about training. I don't even know you but I bet at 50 years of age I could out sprint you, and I have more endurance than you.  I bet I'm way stronger and could easily kick your ass. Go fuck yourself. 

To answer youngblood.  Yes the heart does benefit from anaerobic work.  Most college basketball players can post really credible V02 scores.  That's from the stop and go sprints on the court.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »
Pumpster if you are referring to me with your insults, get a life kid.  I bet you live in a room in your mama's house.  What do you do for a living, deliver pizzas?  You say I have fear in posting?   No, I have a life that's why I don't post here constantly. I have no fear in posting.  You have no idea of what my fear level is but I have proven myself again and again in ways that a punk like you can only fantasize about.  I have seen pictures of your home gym and you are a clown with a big ego who knows little about training. I don't even know you but I bet at 50 years of age I could out sprint you, and I have more endurance than you.  I bet I'm way stronger and could easily kick your ass. Go fuck yourself. 

To answer youngblood.  Yes the heart does benefit from anaerobic work.  Most college basketball players can post really credible V02 scores.  That's from the stop and go sprints on the court.

This is The Positive Board and I would expect an old timer like you to respect the rules.

But godamn that was funny!! ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!