Author Topic: HMB...cheap at Puritan's Pride and Piping Rock  (Read 34748 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
HMB...cheap at Puritan's Pride and Piping Rock
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »
I know I haven't posted here in ages. Most of my posts are on the Wrestling Board these days.

But, I've read about HMB and how it's a great supplement to use, NOW that it's way cheaper to use than it was 20 years ago. I've been using HMB for several months now. And, I must say it's been GREAT helping me recover and keep muscle and gain strength.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast7.htm

To that end, I've found two sites to get HMB at a decent price: Piping Rock and Puritan's Pride.

https://www.puritan.com

https://www.pipingrock.com

Piping Rock sells HMB at 90 capsules @ 750 mg each for $15 for one and $28 for two.

Puritan's Pride started selling its brand (Myology) late last year. That site often has "Buy one; get two free" on various supplements. I caught a GREAT DEAL right after Thanksgiving. A "buy one; get two free" sale on HMB, plus 15% off for "Black Friday" and free shipping.

That got me 3 bottles of HMB for $24. To top it off, Myology's HMB is 90 capsules @ 1000 mg each.

Normally, they sell HMB at 2 bottles for $44.99 But, it's been marked down to one bottle for $17.50.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to tell you guys about the tax day sale on Monday and Tuesday, when shipping was FREE.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: HMB...cheap at Puritan's Pride and Piping Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:07:11 AM »
Thanks for the FYI!!

I happen to like HMB also. It is one of the few "supplements" I use.
It's got proper studies that demonstrate its effectiveness, and it produces noticeable results for me.

OldSchoolLifter

• Getbig II
  • Hobbyist historian of strength/physique training
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
Any thoughts on the effectiveness of the calcium salt form of HMB which is pretty commonly available and affordable, vs. the free acid form which only seems to be available from one particular manufacturer, and at a higher price? I managed to get a bottle of the FA type at a discount, and I'm trying it out for the next month.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
Any thoughts on the effectiveness of the calcium salt form of HMB which is pretty commonly available and affordable, vs. the free acid form which only seems to be available from one particular manufacturer, and at a higher price? I managed to get a bottle of the FA type at a discount, and I'm trying it out for the next month.

I've heard the free acid is better; but, considering how much cheaper the calcium one is, that's the better route to go.

PLEASE BELIEVE that (as with the other MuscleTech supplements I've used) when it goes on clearance, I'm snatching it up!!!

;D
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-hmb-fa-experiment.html

Bill Phillips recommended using high dosages of HMB in his Sport Supplement Review (3rd Edition). That was published 20 years ago.

We're talking 6 grams a day. But, back then EAS' HMB only came in 250 mg pills and a 360-capsule bottle ran you $90.

EAS' Betagen (a HMB-Creatine combo, with 1 g HMB and 2 g creatine) cost nearly $100 for 90 servings.

krazyweels

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »
I get my HMB in bulk powder form. Much, much cheaper than capsules.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:26:48 AM »

Yeah... interesting that it's "so much better" AND they're the "only ones" selling it. LOL

I haven't bought a MuscleTech product in years.
I only remember my friends and I laughing our asses off back in college at the ridiculous ads the company published.

I wish I could find some of the Celltech magazine ads from the late 90's.
Hilarious!!

Anyway, I can't comment on the overall quality of MuscleTech's line then or now.
But, claims of a creatine product being over 1,000 times stronger/better than "ordinary monohydrate," along with some of the highest prices in the industry, certainly seem preposterously over the top.

And, they weren't the only ones guilty of it...
Before MuscleTech, it was EAS.

Regardless, let us know how it works for you. It would be nice to read about a results comparison between the calcium and free acid forms.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »

Yeah... interesting that it's "so much better" AND they're the "only ones" selling it. LOL

I haven't bought a MuscleTech product in years.
I only remember my friends and I laughing our asses off back in college at the ridiculous ads the company published.

I wish I could find some of the Celltech magazine ads from the late 90's.
Hilarious!!

Anyway, I can't comment on the overall quality of MuscleTech's line then or now.
But, claims of a creatine product being over 1,000 times stronger/better than "ordinary monohydrate," along with some of the highest prices in the industry, certainly seem preposterously over the top.

And, they weren't the only ones guilty of it...
Before MuscleTech, it was EAS.

Regardless, let us know how it works for you. It would be nice to read about a results comparison between the calcium and free acid forms.

MuscleTech's products were good back in the day. I remember using their original three: Acetabolan, Hydroxycut, and Creatine-6000 ES.

Anator P-70 was HORRIBLE!! The taste was utterly vile, as was the powdered version of GAKIC.

CELL-TECH (except for Orange), Acetabolan 1 & 2, NaNO Vapor, NITRO-TECH RTDs and their pro hormones (Anotesten and Nortesten) were among their best.

I forgot about MESO-TECH. That was the best-tasting MRP on the market, especially the strawberry kind. And that’s the original formula, not the one made with NITRO-TECH.

MuscleTech didn't have an HMB supplement at the time. It would have required a vital organ to buy, if they had.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »
MuscleTech didn't have an HMB supplement at the time. It would have required a vital organ to buy, if they had.

LMAO!!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »

LMAO!!!!

Hey, I'm just being real. The only reason I've used as many MuscleTech products as I have is because I've waited until they went on clearance. The mid-2000s were the gravy years for me.

I sang the praises of CELL-TECH, namely because I could get the 7-lb jugs for as little as $16.

Back in 2006, I got three months' worth of powdered Gakic for the price of one month's worth of the pills. GNC marked it down because that stuff was TERRIBLE. It works; but LORD HAVE MERCY!!! it was abysmal tasting. Anator P-70 was nearly as bad.

I'll probably check out GNC if they have MuscleTech's Clear Muscle on sale. But, if I buy it , I won't use it for a while as I have plenty of regular HMB at the moment.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 06:16:00 AM »
Hey, I'm just being real. The only reason I've used as many MuscleTech products as I have is because I've waited until they went on clearance. The mid-2000s were the gravy years for me.

I sang the praises of CELL-TECH, namely because I could get the 4-lb jugs for as little as $16.

Back in 2006, I got three months' worth of powdered Gakic for the price of one month's worth of the pills. GNC marked it down because that stuff was TERRIBLE. It works; but LORD HAVE MERCY!!! it was abysmal tasting. Anator P-70 was nearly as bad.

I'll probably check out GNC if they have MuscleTech's Clear Muscle on sale. But, if I buy it , I won't use it for a while as I have plenty of regular HMB at the moment.

Oh, absolutely... it's foolish to pay full/sugg retail price for any supplement (or anything else, for that matter).

I haven't been to one in years, but I remember them having the orange or red price tag discounted items. Then, you could use your Gold Card on top of that, resulting in a much more reasonable price.

These days, I order most of my stuff.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »

Oh, absolutely... it's foolish to pay full/sugg retail price for any supplement (or anything else, for that matter).

I haven't been to one in years, but I remember them having the orange or red price tag discounted items. Then, you could use your Gold Card on top of that, resulting in a much more reasonable price.

These days, I order most of my stuff.

I got most of my clearance stuff at GNC during my years in the military when I could use my Gold Card every day (before it became corporate policy nationwide). A lot of their items were 10% less than the regular GNC stores' merchandise, anyway.

My best deals were getting bottles of IsoPure for as little as $0.50.

Back to HMB (the regular vs. free-acid kind), I figure that if you use regular HMB the way Bill Phillips was recommending in his Sports Supplements Review (3rd edition), it may work just as well as using the free-acid kind.

Using 6 grams of regular HMB may be cheaper than using 3 grams of free-acid HMB (aka BetaTOR), especially if you're getting the Piping Rock or Myology (Puritan's Pride) brand....or even buying in bulk powder, as Krazyweels suggested.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »
Back to HMB (the regular vs. free-acid kind), I figure that if you use regular HMB the way Bill Phillips was recommending in his Sports Supplements Review (3rd edition), it may work just as well as using the free-acid kind.

Using 6 grams of regular HMB may be cheaper than using 3 grams of free-acid HMB (aka BetaTOR), especially if you're getting the Piping Rock or Myology (Puritan's Pride) brand....or even buying in bulk powder, as Krazyweels suggested.

Man, I've choked down some nasty-ass concoctions as far as supplements/shakes go, but I CANNOT handle the taste of unflavored BCAA's.

I'll pay the extra money for capsulation.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »

Man, I've choked down some nasty-ass concoctions as far as supplements/shakes go, but I CANNOT handle the taste of unflavored BCAA's.

I'll pay the extra money for capsulation.

Or you can get the flavored ones. I remember reading in MuscleMag International about Dan Duchaine complaining about how nasty creatine is. I immediately thought, "Who told you to drink plain creatine in water, genius?", especially when the common practice back then was to take creatine with grape juice.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Or you can get the flavored ones. I remember reading in MuscleMag International about Dan Duchaine complaining about how nasty creatine is. I immediately thought, "Who told you to drink plain creatine in water, genius?", especially when the common practice back then was to take creatine with grape juice.

I currently use BSN's BCAA formula.
As for HMB, I only buy the capsules.

Unflavored bulk amino powders are nasty unless you add them to something else.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »

I currently use BSN's BCAA formula.
As for HMB, I only buy the capsules.

Unflavored bulk amino powders are nasty unless you add them to something else.

I just got finished with BSN's AminoX (got it on clearance at GNC). The Green Apple flavor is quite yummy.

I don't know of any flavored HMB supplements, no current ones anyway. EAS' Betagen was from 20 years ago; I don't know if it even exists. If it does, it certainly doesn't cost $90 now.

Now that I remember, the first time I used HMB was in the mid-90s (I want to say 1994). It was MET-Rx with HMB, which cost $75 for a pack of 20. Bodybuilders were singing the praises of it. It didn't do jack for me; so, I was turning into one of those "supplements are a scam " guys.

That is, until I read the "Probing the Pros" section of MuscleMag International, which asked the bodybuilders about MET-Rx. It turns out that the reason these dudes were lauding the awesomeness of MET-Rx is because they were taking 6-8 packets A DAY (Milos Sarcev claimed he took as many as 12 a day, during contest prep).

Not that MET-Rx wasn't a decent product; but, taking nearly 300 grams of any protein (the amount in 8 packs of MET-Rx) would give any bodybuilder decent results....I hope.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »
I know it's late but Puritan is having a "Free Shipping" sale today. If you need to get some cheap HMB, check it out.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:57 PM »
Puritan's Pride has another sale. Spring Black Friday! 18% off.

If you're looking for extra HMB, that discount pretty much takes care of the shipping cost ($0.80). So a bottle of HMB is a little over $18

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
Update:

Puritan’s Pride is having a 20% off all its name brands (including its Myology brand of HMB). Plus, it’s free shipping. Sale ends on the 17th. If you need cheap HMB, go there and love ad up. ;D

OldSchoolLifter

• Getbig II
  • Hobbyist historian of strength/physique training
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 07:16:37 AM »
I just put on about twenty pounds in two months with increased caloric intake, and supplementing with all of the following for one month: free-acid HMB, ATP Disodium, Arachidonic Acid; as well as a complex of maral extract, HICA, phosphatidic acid, L-Arginine alpha-ketoglutarate, ursolic acid, and laxogenin.

Sorry if TMI, I try not to mention brand names so it doesn't look like I'm advertising! And I tend to throw a bunch of supps together at once, so it's a little hard to tell which were actually the most effective.

I also lost what little definition I had from my last cut earlier this year. So time to cut again for the summer, LOL.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
I just put on about twenty pounds in two months with increased caloric intake, and supplementing with all of the following for one month: free-acid HMB, ATP Disodium, Arachidonic Acid; as well as a complex of maral extract, HICA, phosphatidic acid, L-Arginine alpha-ketoglutarate, ursolic acid, and laxogenin.

Sorry if TMI, I try not to mention brand names so it doesn't look like I'm advertising! And I tend to throw a bunch of supps together at once, so it's a little hard to tell which were actually the most effective.

I also lost what little definition I had from my last cut earlier this year. So time to cut again for the summer, LOL.

Im liking the Maral Extract (Barlowe's) right now...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 05:33:25 PM »

Congrats are in order for your recent gains.

Since you've tried free-acid HMB, can you give us any feedback on how you think it works, as compared to regular (calcium) HMB.

BTW, Puritan's Pride HMB has now been marked down to $11 and change for a 90-capsule bottle @ 1000 mg per capsule.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 01:46:16 AM »
Congrats are in order for your recent gains.

Since you've tried free-acid HMB, can you give us any feedback on how you think it works, as compared to regular (calcium) HMB.

BTW, Puritan's Pride HMB has now been marked down to $11 and change for a 90-capsule bottle @ 1000 mg per capsule.

I wonder if we'll be seeing the price of the calcium form come down as the free-acid gains popularity.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »

I wonder if we'll be seeing the price of the calcium form come down as the free-acid gains popularity.

It already has. See my earlier posts on this thread.

The bigger supplement companies might start dropping their prices; online sites like Puritan's Pride and Piping Rock have it fairly cheap already.

Plus, you might recall how expensive this mess used to be 20 years ago (360 capsules @ 250 mg per capsule for $90).

OH, today Puritan's Pride site has free shipping, in addition to their bottles (90 capsules @ 1000 mg per capsule) being $11.89 each.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 04:34:47 AM »
Plus, you might recall how expensive this mess used to be 20 years ago (360 capsules @ 250 mg per capsule for $90).

OH, today Puritan's Pride site has free shipping, in addition to their bottles (90 capsules @ 1000 mg per capsule) being $11.89 each.

I tried HMB for a short time back in the Bill Phillips days, it was very expensive and hadn't thought about using it again until I read your thread. I ordered three bottles, will be delivered today.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »

I tried HMB for a short time back in the Bill Phillips days, it was very expensive and hadn't thought about using it again until I read your thread. I ordered three bottles, will be delivered today.

I'm glad I could help. I've been reading a lot of my old magazines from the late 90s and early 2000s. There are so many supplements that I believe worked really well. But, as mentioned earlier, one would have to part with several vital organs to buy them.

I've replicated MuscleTech's Acetabolan-II and I think I've made the equivalent to Anotesten (with Tongkat Ali and/or Testofen) to replace androstenedione. As you may have seen from my other thread, I'm trying to find out how much DHEA converts to androstenedione, as getting DHEA is ultra cheap, especially from the Puritan's Pride or Piping Rock sites.

Today is $5 day as is next week (for the month of June) on Puritan's Pride. I got liquid carnitine (only the watermelon flavored one is $5, though), and Tribulus 750 mg (90 capsules). Those are the Myology brand (Puritan's Pride sport supplement line).