Author Topic: deadlifting every week or every other week  (Read 2638 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
deadlifting every week or every other week
« on: November 15, 2006, 02:46:01 PM »
hey guys
 is it better to deadlift every back workit or ever other back workout??? I'm not trying to get out of deadlifting but some people say to do it every other back day..  mostly b/c deads take a lot of out your body to do...

usually, i do deads  no matter what on back day but I'm starting to change thing up every workout. to make my muscles guessing..

so what do you guys think??

thx for any replies

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: deadlifting every week or every other week
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »
Sorry, but I have a question for you....  How umm or why umm does your post count say leet?
S

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:35:25 PM »
hey guys
 is it better to deadlift every back workit or ever other back workout??? I'm not trying to get out of deadlifting but some people say to do it every other back day..  mostly b/c deads take a lot of out your body to do...

usually, i do deads  no matter what on back day but I'm starting to change thing up every workout. to make my muscles guessing..

thx for any replies

Right now I deadlift once a week when training back.  I agree with the point that DL's can take alot out of you.
I pyramid up the weight to just five sets total and do them as my last exercise.  Sure I won't be able to handle as much weight but by then I'm thoroughly warmed up and the potential for low back injury is reduced.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:20:36 PM »
hey guys

thx for any replies

Try do a light, a medium and a heavy deadlift week. Rotate on those three.

Use the same amount of reps, just remove weights on the light and the medium weeks.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 04:25:33 AM »
If a deadlift asks to much of you, you're doing to much excersises.

Also make sure there's some rest between the day of deadlift and squat,
you're not recovered proparly after if you do the exercises after each other.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 05:57:30 AM »
hey guys

thx for any replies

I prefer light deadlifts one week for reps, heavy the next week.  And back when I was training at a younger age, i'd simply have a deadlift day where my entire back workout was nothing but deadlifts, like 12 sets.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:21:51 PM »
If you are smart you won't do deadlifts.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
First of all you have to realise that bodybuilders are handed down a lot of nonsense with the good information about training. What is the test of good vs bad or suspect information? If your test is following what the pros do then you will be the blind following the blind. Always try to assess what an exercise does and if it is a dangerous exercise. What happens when you do a maximum in that movement?

For some obscure reason there are many knuckleheads bodybuilders who do deadlifts. Why, even Ronnie Coleman does heavy deadlifts. So what? Deadlifts don't contribute much to a physique and it is one of the exceptionally dangerous exercises for the spine and biceps. Why on earth would anyone do them? Sure, they might help your spinal erectors and traps. There are better and safer exercises for those muscles.

I tore a biceps doing a deadlift with 509 pounds. It should have been easy for me but my biceps tore and there was no way to repair it. Dorian Yates tore his biceps and so have several other guys. Certain kinds of maximum lifts place too much stress on the biceps. If you absolutely have to do them then make sure you hold the bar with an overhand grip. Never put the palms facing upwards.

I honestly believe that way too many bodybuilders haven't got a clue about what to do and end up doing way too many exercises for way too many body parts. The result is slow or no growth at all. Most bodybuilders are busting their guts just to remain the same. Is it any wonder that so many end up believing the only way to get big is to take drugs?

Anyway, people don't listen on muscle forums so I should keep my advice to myself.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:19 PM »
Dorian Yates tore his biceps and so have several other guys.

He didn't tear it from deadlifting.

As far as the excersise in itself goes...

You mentioned that deadlifts don't contribute much to a physique, yet most of the bodybuilders with a great back have been doing plenty of deadlifts.

You also claim that the deadlift is exceptionally dangerous for the spine.

How are deadlifts with correct form dangerous to the spine?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »
Bodybuilders will continue to believe what they want. When I started training in Jan 1959 people told me I would injure myself from lifting weights. I scoffed at them. I even did Olympic weightlifting and represented UBC and won my big block letter through that sport. I never came close to injuring myself. We had a couple of 'Strongest Man on Campus' contests that I organized and won both times. I set a new deadlift record then for the deadlift with 525 pounds. All done naturally. I didn't injure myself and continued to scoff at others when they cautioned me. Sometime in the early 1960's my lower back would get sore from time to time. Especially if I was riding in a car with my legs higher than my hips. That always ended in agony. So I came to accept that my lower back was strong but I had to be careful how I sat, etc. That recurrent back pain has stayed with me ever since. Did deadlifts do the damage? I have no idea. Perhaps.

If you examine the deadlift then pulling the weight from the floor to about your knees seems okay. However, finishing the movement requires one to rotate the shoulders backwards and this is the dangerous part. If you are lifting a maximum and that weight is substantial then you are asking for spine problems. Forever afterwards you will feel pain in the middle of your spine and adjustments can ease the pain. It remains forever a weak link in the spine.

So I shudder when I see others recommending that silly exercise to beginners. It has no place, in my opinion, in any exercise program. None at all. If you want spinal erectors there are exercises that can target that area. The traps are better trained with more specific exercises but, again, a lot of stress goes on the spine. The spine can be damaged by doing barbell full squats. Putting a barbell behind the neck is placing huge loads on the spine. Sometimes you get a bit stuck coming up in a squat and you bend forward. Danger! Perhaps leg presses are a safer movement for quads.

If someone is a beginner why on earth would they do all those exercises? Do about 3 or 4 exercises for your body and go home. A pulling movement such as close grip pulldowns to the top of the chest, Pec deck or some effective chest push movement, a leg press and that is it. No abs, no shoulders, no arms, nothing else. Do 5 maximum sets on those movements after plenty of warmup and do them twice a week. Eat sufficiently to gain weight and watch yourself grow. Later on you might want to change some of those exercises and routines. For a month just do arms and one leg movement. That's it.

Ah, free advice from a professional in the gym industry. On these discussion boards my advice means almost nothing. There is too much information out there and no way to assess what is good, or what one should do. Most people haven't got enough experience or a good enough brain to make those decisions. Just about everyone posting on discussion boards think they know plenty about bodybuilding and training. The truth is there are not many true experts out there. I would bet that many so-called experts disagree about basic things. Imagine if that happened in medicine or engineering! So, bodybuilding is not a science but some sort of art/witchcraft that has been handed down by pseudo-experts. Use that information at your own risk. I suppose if you have to ask questions on discussion boards you are a lost soul. Pray tell how you are going to know which answers are correct and what is nonsense?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »
I have to go to my gym so won't be back until tomorrow, my time. Imagine if doctors posted their advice for free on the internet? That is what you guys expect. The trouble is the advice we give is not accepted as special, and people want to debate issues. Unless I know who others are and how old they are and their level of development, it is difficult to solve problems and give advice.

I have been called an idiot on this and other forums. That sort of smarts when I have won scholarships and have a masters degree. However, I accept that discussion boards are for lots of things.

To be fair, the lads here on this forum are more sensible than the flotsom on the gossip and opinions forum. As long as I am respected as a gym professional then I don't mind sharing information and debating issues re hypertrophy and training.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 04:35:24 AM »
Crossing the streets is dangerous,
so your point being?

Every exercise can be harmful on the long run if not performerd correctly. And you ain't telling something news,
a training should be short and vivid.

For beginners fullbody.
And why should a beginner not start out with a squat or deadlift? It's actually a good point to start out. He starts out with nothing, and there's almost no chance to harm himself. A good gym guides his members in this stage and corrects them if they perform exercises wrong.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 05:57:46 PM »
i dl every other back w/o - avgs to about once every 10-12 days

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 09:01:29 PM »
i dl every other back w/o - avgs to about once every 10-12 days

THat's what i'm gonna start doing. DL's kill me for several days after and i wouldn't want to do BB squats too soon after.

I think on weeks that i do DL's i'll do smith squats, and for weeks i don't I'll do real squats.
It's Hip to be Square!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »
I do dead-lifts every other week, I tried doing them every week at first and actually felt that my body wasn't fully recovered. I love doing dead-lifts and squats, I agree with Vince that they are a  dangerous movement, but that's why you have to work on your form. There are dozens of little adjustments that I have had to make for these two excercises from figuring out the best warm-up routines to hand and foot position, posture alignment etc.. You can't just blindly follow someone's idea of good form, you have to adapt your form to your structure until you feel completely comfortable and the stress is felt only on the muscle, not the joints. I also very rarely try to max out on any movement. To me, being able to consistently up the weight in a certain rep range is a better and safer assessment of strength gain.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 10:26:01 AM »
i dont do dead lifts. i never really feel themn in my back...and when i do its just lower back; which i have no interest in builing.    big developed lats connected to an untrained lower back gives the illusion of a smaller waist and a wider back.     
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 11:01:05 AM »
i dont do dead lifts. i never really feel themn in my back...and when i do its just lower back; which i have no interest in builing.    big developed lats connected to an untrained lower back gives the illusion of a smaller waist and a wider back.     

You are a fucking moron.

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 01:34:01 AM »
First of all you have to realise that bodybuilders are handed down a lot of nonsense with the good information about training. What is the test of good vs bad or suspect information? If your test is following what the pros do then you will be the blind following the blind. Always try to assess what an exercise does and if it is a dangerous exercise. What happens when you do a maximum in that movement?

For some obscure reason there are many knuckleheads bodybuilders who do deadlifts. Why, even Ronnie Coleman does heavy deadlifts. So what? Deadlifts don't contribute much to a physique and it is one of the exceptionally dangerous exercises for the spine and biceps. Why on earth would anyone do them? Sure, they might help your spinal erectors and traps. There are better and safer exercises for those muscles.

I tore a biceps doing a deadlift with 509 pounds. It should have been easy for me but my biceps tore and there was no way to repair it. Dorian Yates tore his biceps and so have several other guys. Certain kinds of maximum lifts place too much stress on the biceps. If you absolutely have to do them then make sure you hold the bar with an overhand grip. Never put the palms facing upwards.

I honestly believe that way too many bodybuilders haven't got a clue about what to do and end up doing way too many exercises for way too many body parts. The result is slow or no growth at all. Most bodybuilders are busting their guts just to remain the same. Is it any wonder that so many end up believing the only way to get big is to take drugs?

Anyway, people don't listen on muscle forums so I should keep my advice to myself.

You are so full of shit , sorry if that sounds harsh

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »
He didn't tear it from deadlifting.

As far as the excersise in itself goes...

You mentioned that deadlifts don't contribute much to a physique, yet most of the bodybuilders with a great back have been doing plenty of deadlifts.

You also claim that the deadlift is exceptionally dangerous for the spine.

How are deadlifts with correct form dangerous to the spine?

YIP
Zack
This is the best advice in this whole thread