Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 230809 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The Mature thread
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »
.. want to ask Chaos a question.. have you done jumping squats? as i have never tried them, with a light Barbell. I have heard they hit the calfes very good too. I will maybe try them today too if my legs are up to it.I want to specialize on my calfes because they are terrible...yes i know genetics.. :'(
use dumbells takes the strain off the  back. ;D. when i was young i used to use 75's for high reps.
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
  • Primemuscle you are a good guy..you have character, i like this. Yes i am very blunt sometimes but i mean it well.Yesterday i had a great run about 50 mins with hill work. I then did 100 crunches (feet elevated on bench ) and 100 leg raises 2x 50 as after the crunches 100 straight was too much as after running your midsection is also active so i find after running good to hit them. Today is leg day and i will really squat hard. First 2 sets warm up then 3 working sets. I will do a tri set for calves..seated, standing and jumping rope.. this will hit it all and i will also hit my tibialis anterior with seated tibialis raises (weight plate on my toes). Yes today will be fun day  ;D

My legs are short and therefore are one of the strongest parts of my body. I'd rather do leg work any day over upper body presses because my arms are rather long so I have to move the weight farther. Yeah I know, short legs and long arms brings up some funny imagery.

I got interesting genetics from my parents. My father was 6'6" with really long legs. My mom was more proportionate at 5'8". Somehow I got my father's torso and arms and my mom's legs. My inseam is 31" while my sleeve length is 35". The good thing I got from both of them, although it didn't seem like it when I was younger, was they were both very lean. Better that then to inherit the tendency to be obese.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »
use dumbells takes the strain off the  back. ;D. when i was young i used to use 75's for high reps.
I did them today with an empty olympic bar. This was after my leg workout and i was sweating buckets. I hope i have sore calfes tomorrow !!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »
  • My legs are short and therefore are one of the strongest parts of my body. I'd rather do leg work any day over upper body presses because my arms are rather long so I have to move the weight farther. Yeah I know, short legs and long arms brings up some funny imagery.

I got interesting genetics from my parents. My father was 6'6" with really long legs. My mom was more proportionate at 5'8". Somehow I got my father's torso and arms and my mom's legs. My inseam is 31" while my sleeve length is 35". The good thing I got from both of them, although it didn't seem like it when I was younger, was they were both very lean. Better that then to inherit the tendency to be obese.
interesting point Primemuscle, i mean your parents really determine who you are body wise. Well it's funny because i have also a bit of both my parents. i am only 170cm, 5 7" but built and even if i do not train i am fairly solid. I got this from my Father who was also not big but was very strong and had really thick Forearms and a good broad build. I have a youngish face from my Mother and small hands for a man. sounds funny but it is so. Another thing i got from my Father was as a young guy a bad temper. My Father was a Butcher and was not a guy who showed emotion(where as i do ). He was very cold and very old school. He boxed as a young guy and by a lot of accounts was not bad and i trained too at an early age but Boxing for me had too many "rules". I found thrusting a finger in an eye more effective and other things.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »
.. want to ask Chaos a question.. have you done jumping squats? as i have never tried them, with a light Barbell. I have heard they hit the calfes very good too. I will maybe try them today too if my legs are up to it.I want to specialize on my calfes because they are terrible...yes i know genetics.. :'(
Eh. Tried them once, the impact down the spine isn't worth it to me. For calves, ride a bike with your toes on the pedals.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Eh. Tried them once, the impact down the spine isn't worth it to me. For calves, ride a bike with your toes on the pedals.
yes true but i just tried them Today as a finishing off movement. I really got a good workout.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

Or move into my neighborhood and ride your bike on the hills.

I've tried everything imaginable short of using posing oil in my calves and while muscular, they are not swole in the least. Calves and forearms just are what they are. And yeah, I do forearm exercises....also to no avail.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
I would love to live near the sea and i could run bare foot and get a great workout for my calfes.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
interesting point Primemuscle, i mean your parents really determine who you are body wise. Well it's funny because i have also a bit of both my parents. i am only 170cm, 5 7" but built and even if i do not train i am fairly solid. I got this from my Father who was also not big but was very strong and had really thick Forearms and a good broad build. I have a youngish face from my Mother and small hands for a man. sounds funny but it is so. Another thing i got from my Father was as a young guy a bad temper. My Father was a Butcher and was not a guy who showed emotion(where as i do ). He was very cold and very old school. He boxed as a young guy and by a lot of accounts was not bad and i trained too at an early age but Boxing for me had too many "rules". I found thrusting a finger in an eye more effective and other things.

I doubt a bad temper is genetic. However, we do learn from our parents. Some of us outgrown our early childhood development lessons, particularly when they don't serve us well. My mother had a horrible temper (like in being nuts), while my stepfather was very calm 99% of the time. I am not sure what my father's temperament was like, since I barely knew him, but I suspect he had issues. I am generally a very easygoing type personality, although I have my moments. -Guess I didn't completely overcome what my parents passed on to me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
I would love to live near the sea and i could run bare foot and get a great workout for my calfes.

Years ago, I ran with another fellow in the sand and muck which surrounds an island in the Columbia river near Rooster Rock State Park. It was a killer. -Better than weights on your ankles (which I suspect are not good for you).

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
Years ago, I ran with another fellow in the sand and muck which surrounds an island in the Columbia river near Rooster Rock State Park. It was a killer. -Better than weights on your ankles (which I suspect are not good for you).
I love the sea and beach... donīt live near one but i would love to run in the sand bare foot.  ;D I believe Steve reeves did this but his lower legs were genetics.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
i will give a calf workout that hurts and works,,,i did 3 x per wk for long time and now 2x per wk i had to blast them and have built decent set of calves this is one exercise and done 1x per wk will get results,,,same weight is used through out cause the pain is intense,standing calf raise i use a number say 200 lbs on stack it goes ,,10 reps rest 5 sec,15 reps rest 10 sec,,,25 reps rest 10 sec,,back to 15 rest 10 then 10 to finish 75 reps total under minute rest a minute or so go again 2 times is plenty 150 reps less than 3 minutes,,,forearms i do old school weighted rope rolls up ,,down,up 3 x around...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »
-Not a lot to report here. I repeated my Monday workout routine today for the most part. I did about 5 more minutes of cardio and upped the Resistance on several exercises a little. Actually, I was a bit sore today prior to working out. That seems to be gone now. Oh, and I added forearm exercises on the Nautilus forearm machine. Incidentally, I move from one exercise to the next with no rest period and no shooting the breeze. While I am training, I am all business.

For breakfast, I had a cup of Greek yogurt with honey and a small glass of orange juice. For lunch I bought my wife and I grilled chicken club sandwiches from McDonald's. We are having chicken divan for dinner with a small salad. I drank about two quarts of water and had a couple of cups of coffee so far.

When I weighed myself at the gym today, I was 207....hmm, seem to be headed in the wrong direction. Anyway, I sat in the steam room for about 20 minutes after my workout.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »
it's normal to gain some weight when starting a lifting program (due to tissue inflammation)... it will pass

you can also look for ways to reduce your overall stress through meditation, going to a comedy club, watching a funny movie or playing a relaxing game of cards (whatever works for you)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »
well later tonight i will go for a run with a friend. Running around the streets you see some funny things at times... ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
Did not go to the gym today. Between taking my wife to two doctor's appointments, I climbed up on the roof to get the leaves off and then clean the gutters. My roof is a 6 in 12 pitch, shake roof. I have tie-on cleats for walking on the roof, so as not to slip, fall off and break something. This is not exactly the same as doing cardio but all that up and down the ladder and climbing on a slanted surface puts a lot of stress on areas you wouldn't think it would.  The roof and gutters are done now. Tomorrow I have fall yard clean up if the weather holds. It was dry and sunny today. In Oregon at this time of year that means you do fall cleanup, otherwise you'll be doing it in the rain which is not fun.

I tried to hire this job out this morning since my neighbors had people doing this work for them today. Unfortunately, the fellow doing their job does not work on shake roofs because they are too slippery....and he looked to be somewhere around 35 year old. Am I nuts for doing this myself? I think before next year I will install some way to tie myself off so I if I fall at least I'll dangle from a rope and not hit the ground.

Breakfast: small OJ and a cup of yogurt.

Mid morning: Potato bagel with butter and two cups of black coffee.

Lunch: a small bowl of vegetarian chili in the hospital cafeteria while my wife was getting a mammogram.

Dinner: Don't know what my wife is fixing yet. I saw a box of Rice-A-Roni on the counter. -Let you know later tonight or tomorrow.

The Rice-A-Roni was a red herring. We had corn, french cut green beans with almonds, Polish sausage, tomato and artichoke salad with, Stilton cheese crumbles and blue cheese dressing. I had a glass of Merlot. Right now, I am drinking a cup of Chai tea.

I soaked in the tub for about a half hour to ease the ache from all I did today. Going to the gym to workout would have been less taxing.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
you are quite right some jobs in the Garden and what you were doing are a workout too. I remember one job i did about 1995 was erecting scaffolding and that was a hell of a workout. climbing like a monkey all day and passing boards upwards it really hit your shoulders and back. It was summer and the painters were out big time so we had lots of work...funny thing is i do not really like heights and a few times i was living on my nerves,, ;D still needed the work and that was that. Today is shoulders and arms. I might also do Incline Db curls as i have not done them for a while... decisions...decisions.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »
....so i will now go for an Hour walk for Fresh air and give my knees a rest from running. shoulders and arms were trained in my Home Gym. Feeling very motivated Today, i like to go for long walks too because i am alone with my thoughts...till later.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
Did not get to the gym yesterday because I decided to take advantage of it not raining and clean up more leaves which covered the ground out front. So, I worked in the yard for about 3 hours.

Did not go to the gym today because it is my day off. And believe it or not, after climbing all over my roof on Thursday and then raking leaves for 3 hours on Friday, I am really sore. Guess I am turning into a wuss.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:15 AM »
Did not get to the gym yesterday because I decided to take advantage of it not raining and clean up more leaves which covered the ground out front. So, I worked in the yard for about 3 hours.

Did not go to the gym today because it is my day off. And believe it or not, after climbing all over my roof on Thursday and then raking leaves for 3 hours on Friday, I am really sore. Guess I am turning into a wuss.
nah...good workout and you no doubt kept your wife happy.. ;) I will have a quite day today as it's a rest day and it's pissing down with rain outside. I will later jump rope and do some crunches.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »
intense leg workout sat,,,,leg presses ,,hack squats,,walking db lunges ...extensions,,,hams stiff legged deads supersetted with lying leg curls and calves standing calf raise superset with leg press calf extensions..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
that is a very intensive workout..good drills ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:47 AM »
that is a very intensive workout..good drills ;D
thanks,,, ;D ;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »
nah...good workout and you no doubt kept your wife happy.. ;) I will have a quite day today as it's a rest day and it's pissing down with rain outside. I will later jump rope and do some crunches.

Ha, ha. My wife doesn't pay any attention to the leaves on the ground or the roof. I've always been the groundskeeper and the maintenance guy around the house. What makes my wife happy is taking her out to breakfast, a movie or reading to her. She's pretty easy to please.

It is raining here where I live too. -Supposed to rain all week according to the weather report.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
Ha, ha. My wife doesn't pay any attention to the leaves on the ground or the roof. I've always been the groundskeeper and the maintenance guy around the house. What makes my wife happy is taking her out to breakfast, a movie or reading to her. She's pretty easy to please.

It is raining here where I live too. -Supposed to rain all week according to the weather report.

i like running in the rain... not sure why because i hate walking in it.... but if it's raining on one of the 2 days where i'm planning to go for a run then i'm a happy man... just me and the sound of the rain drops