Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422166 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1875 on: September 16, 2021, 11:21:09 AM »
This Thursday I ran 2 and a quarter miles.  Didn't run fast but around 9:30 miles.  I'm too heavy right now at around 192lbs at 5'8".  I don't look fat but it's too much weight for my slight frame.  Hit the bag after doing boxing drills.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1876 on: September 18, 2021, 10:50:49 AM »
Saturday and another day of cardio. Ran two miles at a 9:06 pace.  Still thinking about how the best way for me to combine running and lifting. Iron Nats suggestion makes a lot of sense. Basically two whole body routines a week leaving time for pure running days the rest of the week.

Basically what I was doing the last couple of years was  a hard split of either three days a week or four. I would try to run the off days but more times than not I was too shot and running days were missed due to fatigue.

My third option was to do a complete bro split over the course of 5 to 6 days. With the third option I would run prior or after lifting. The lifting sessions wouldn't take a lot of time because of dividing the body with a five day split or a six. I just think I'm getting too old for two a day training.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1877 on: September 19, 2021, 05:06:16 AM »
The trick is to keep the volume of the full-body workout manageable.

You have to see how you feel.  Drop the volume if you need more recovery.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1878 on: September 21, 2021, 06:26:57 PM »
Still hitting it. Just neglecting the training log. One thing I found out is that training with volume seems so foriegn to me.  Stopping a set without going to failure rubs me the wrong way. I do realize power lifters and Olympic lifters rarely train to failure.

I know I'm not giving volume the time it needs. Understand I have been doing low sets for over 45 years roughly. I do remember a period where I did the 20 sets a body part. I ended up pretty lean but weak. I bet my muscular endurance was huge. I was around 17 or 18 at the time.

For now Yates warm up then one set to failure seems the best method for now. I can get the workouts over in 45 minutes leaving time for running. I will see how it goes.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1879 on: September 21, 2021, 06:31:52 PM »
Still hitting it. Just neglecting the training log. One thing I found out is that training with volume seems so foriegn to me.  Stopping a set without going to failure rubs me the wrong way. I do realize power lifters and Olympic lifters rarely train to failure.

I know I'm not giving volume the time it needs. Understand I have been doing low sets for over 45 years roughly. I do remember a period where I did the 20 sets a body part. I ended up pretty lean but weak. I bet my muscular endurance was huge. I was around 17 or 18 at the time.

For now Yates warm up then one set to failure seems the best method for now. I can get the workouts over in 45 minutes leaving time for running. I will see how it goes.

One of the hardest things anyone ever faces is breaking old habits.

If you make your exercise routine fresh and keep your body guessing, it will benefit it you. There is no set way to do anything. The variables are endless.....take time to explore them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1880 on: September 21, 2021, 07:07:26 PM »
One of the hardest things anyone ever faces is breaking old habits.

If you make your exercise routine fresh and keep your body guessing, it will benefit it you. There is no set way to do anything. The variables are endless.....take time to explore them.

Good advice I admit. Will I break out of my old ways? Probably not.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1881 on: September 22, 2021, 02:18:47 PM »
Trained chest and bicep.  Rested about an hour then ran a mile and a quarter. Lifting really took it out of me. Disapointed I called it a day after a short mile an a quarter.  At least the lifting part went really well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1882 on: September 23, 2021, 10:55:50 AM »
Leg day and it was rough.  Completely spent.  I went back to doing one set of no weight squats after I trained legs. It's a great finisher especially if you go deep. I did 50 reps after leg press, machine squats, dumbbell squats,stiff deads, leg extensions and leg curls. 

On a completely unrelated topic I gave myself a hair cut today. During covid I started cutting my hair and I found it's not rocket science.  True I can't do a good fade on myself but a regular hair cut looks better than the hacks I was going to here in central Jersey.  Now almost a year later I think I do a great job.  I cut it once every two weeks. 

I remember back in the day going to club or in a young person's bar most of the guys had a hair cut with decent clothes to impress the woman. Something happened the last 25 years.  Guys go to restaurants in the their bare feet in shower shoes or beach flip flops. Their hair looks like crap with beards that are ungroomed. To top the look they throw on a UFC shirt or some other crap shirt. Most young women still know how to go out with hair done, heels and dresses. I don't know how they put up with going to a restaurant  with these slob guys.   You young guys who have a decent job, in shape, fresh hair cut in decent clothes with decent shoes even with jeans would have women throwing themself at you. You would have no compitition from what I observe everyday.

Yes, I am having a cold one typing this.  I will get back to the topic of training logs.   ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1883 on: September 23, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »
My thanks to you and IroNat for the inspiration, my friend!  Well done!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1884 on: September 24, 2021, 04:08:55 AM »
My thanks to you and IroNat for the inspiration, my friend!  Well done!

In many ways you inspire me by trying with your limitations.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1885 on: September 24, 2021, 07:36:01 PM »
In many ways you inspire me by trying with your limitations.

Well thank you brother, but there are better people who are far worse off than I.  I have seen them and believe me, their presence and attitude humble me.  You and Nat are as real to me as they are, even though we have not met.  This place is more than a "Matrix" and all because of folk such as yourselves.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1886 on: September 25, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »
Back day:  It went well. I've been struggling with deadlifts but I had a good day. I use warm ups if needed. I just do enough so I can get to that one work set to failure.

Pulldowns with medium width supinate M.A.G. bar  1 x 11 145lbs (Up right back. No lean back and heave. Touched the bar to my upper chest region each rep and made the weight heavy by using full range of motion, slow negatives and moderate speed reps)

Seated cable row with a V handle 1 x 14 180lbs ( All the way out and back. Notice a lot of guys in the gym short rep these)

Dumbbell lat rows with knee on bench 1 x 12 85lbs ( dead hang and all the way up. Slow negatives)

M.A.G. supinate short bar pulldowns 1 x 13 125lbs ( made the light weight heavy by going slow. I put up a picture of this bar)

Deadlifts 1 x 6 315lbs (Slow negatives. I've been having trouble with deadlifts lately.  I made it a point to concentrate on keeping the bar close and to breath at the end of the rep. I've been failing at 4 reps with 315lbs lately so now I'm back to my usual 6.)

Weighted hyper extensions on a horizontal hyper bench 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind my head.

Ab wheel roll out from the knees 1 x 26. (If you have shoulder issues be careful with these. A lot of leverage against the joint doing these.

Ab pulley 1 x 50

I like doing these Yates inspired workouts. The thing is after doing a set to failure you just can't jump to your next set unless you're super man and full of drugs. I would like to put on a heart monitor during the workout to see the spikes and how long it stays high during the workout. Also how long it's elevated after. I have one but never used it for lifting.

Waxed my wife's car after.  Perfect weather at around 65 degrees in the shade.  Wax came off easy. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1887 on: September 26, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
Delt and tricep day:  My one elbow has been giving my trouble.  I tried to think of tricep exercises that didn't bother it.  I did dips, narrow grip bench, one dumbbell with two hands behind the head, push downs and single D handle reverse grip extensions.

Had a written conversation with a guy on the board that switched to high reps around 20 per set and he said he is having great workouts and his joints feel better.  I think I mentioned it before but there is a fast rising youtube channel where a guy preaches high reps. His name is Ryan Humiston.  A lot of good advice. I don't agree with him with some things but he has a lot of great advice on his channel. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1888 on: September 26, 2021, 01:55:48 PM »
Delt and tricep day:  My one elbow has been giving my trouble.  I tried to think of tricep exercises that didn't bother it.  I did dips, narrow grip bench, one dumbbell with two hands behind the head, push downs and single D handle reverse grip extensions.

Had a written conversation with a guy on the board that switched to high reps around 20 per set and he said he is having great workouts and his joints feel better.  I think I mentioned it before but there is a fast rising youtube channel where a guy preaches high reps. His name is Ryan Humiston.  A lot of good advice. I don't agree with him with some things but he has a lot of great advice on his channel.

When I checked out Ryan Humiston on Youtube I was surprised to see I had already subscribed. I'm all for doing high reps as opposed to max weight lifts.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1889 on: September 27, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »
Ran 2.4 miles. Hit the bag after.  I know many like to workout in the early morning hours but I find it hard to get moving. Lifting early in the isolation  of my basement does get me into a zen type zone. I think the key for me and possibly others for working out early morning prior to work is the warm up.  For running I walk fast for 220 yards then I run at a pace slightly faster than my planned run for 220 yards.  For lifting it’s doing a a warm up set or two for the first few exercises.  Once into the workout many times I don’t use a warm up for many exercises. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1890 on: September 27, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »
I've watched a couple of Humiston's videos but he's a 'roider so I ignore his advices.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1891 on: September 27, 2021, 04:34:55 PM »
I've watched a couple of Humiston's videos but he's a 'roider so I ignore his advices.

I suspected that too.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1892 on: September 28, 2021, 04:15:13 AM »
I suspected that too.

Hard to find anybody not using drugs.

Of course there is Bhanky.  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1893 on: September 29, 2021, 02:33:46 PM »
Still on the Yates split and one set to failure. Right now it suits my scheule of work and baby sitting. 40-45  minutes and done.  Today was Chest and bicep day. Never got to the cardio part because I had to watch my granddaughter.  Tomorrow I have the same challenge for leg day.  A two year old is exhausting as running 15 miles. They never stop for a second.   ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1894 on: September 29, 2021, 04:35:58 PM »
Still on the Yates split and one set to failure. Right now it suits my scheule of work and baby sitting. 40-45  minutes and done.  Today was Chest and bicep day. Never got to the cardio part because I had to watch my granddaughter.  Tomorrow I have the same challenge for leg day.  A two year old is exhausting as running 15 miles. They never stop for a second.   ;D

She's a chip off the Oldtimer1 block....that's why she never stops for a second.  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1895 on: September 30, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
Leg day: Did the one set to failure after warm up. Had to fit the workout in between my two year old granddaughter taking a nap.  As I was finishing the workout with my neck machine I heard her calling for me.  She was up and I was finished!  I'm toast. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1896 on: October 01, 2021, 04:31:46 AM »
I'm glad you found time yesterday to join me in warning these guys about the abuse of steroids and drugs.

We no doubt have changed lives.

;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1897 on: October 01, 2021, 06:51:25 AM »
I'm glad you found time yesterday to join me in warning these guys about the abuse of steroids and drugs.

We no doubt have changed lives.

;D

Aside from the obvious risks to good health I can't stand when guys take credit for their temporary muscles they got from a syringe.  They should own it. Still waiting for a guy to say, "I look like absolute crap 100% off drugs. No, it's not my training knowledge or work ethic. It's the drugs."

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1898 on: October 01, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
Aside from the obvious risks to good health I can't stand when guys take credit for their temporary muscles they got from a syringe.  They should own it. Still waiting for a guy to say, "I look like absolute crap 100% off drugs. No, it's not my training knowledge or work ethic. It's the drugs."

Ditto.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1899 on: October 01, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
Rest day today. Did jack. Went to a favorite Italian restarant and had bread with dipping oil that was flavored with garlic, herbs and anchovies. Had marechiaro linguine with shrimp, clams, mussles and calamari. Had a California red with the meal. Finished off with something called a chocolate volcano. A hot chocolate cake drizzled with rasberry sauce with a scoop of geloto on the side. I'm not a coffee drinker but the wife had a cappuccino made in this elaborate machine. It was amazing and I don't drink coffee. This Italian coffee could turn me into a coffee drinker in a heart beat.  Came home and had to open the button on my pants. Noticed spots of red on my  shirt that pissed me off. Right into the washing machine. I had to gain a pound or two today. We haven't seen the waiter in a month and he treated us like old friends. Classy joint. If you train hard you should be able to have a meal where you eat till you can't eat anymore with amazing food.  Life is short and enjoying a dinner with a loved one is more important than worrying about your abs sometimes.  ;D  Tommorow is a celery stick. Who am I kidding? I brought home a doggy bag. I will eat it again!