Author Topic: not training abs  (Read 2776 times)

cpluvcb

not training abs
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:34:09 PM »
hi guys
i want ed to know what you guys think about my stoping my ab training. i am genetically gifted in the fact that i have a flat/lean midsection. im not dieting or anything. and i've read artices about how many pros dont train their misectons. so i throught may that doing abs was just burning off caliors. that i need. i  was doing cable cruch and seated ab machine 4x20. i've read that everything hits the abs anyway.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: not training abs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:44:34 PM »
i wouldn't stop training them altogether.  i do them twice a week, once on chest day at the end and same thing on back day and nothing hardcore or weighted just bodywieght. mostly floor work.
bodybuildersreality.com

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:58:38 PM »
ive seen alot of pro bbers that dont do direct ab train.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 07:31:48 AM »
ive seen alot of pro bbers that dont do direct ab train.

i've seen a lot of pro bbers that take drugs that make muscles grow without direct stimulation.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 08:20:53 AM »
Treat the ab's like any other muscle group with maybe 2 set's of 8-12 rep's at the end of your regular workouts. Add weight when needed because, as a short range of motion muscle, the ab wall is very powerful. No need for marathon ab workouts by anyone. Keeping the ab wall strong insures balance with the lower back, imbalance can produce lower back problems for some.

Those $4.95 Ab wheels you see around are a very good investment, not a toy as some would believe. It can hit the lower and upper ab's very well. I wonder if some of those Pro's belly's are so big that they prevent doing direct ab work like simple crunches, etc. Those deformed and overly large internal organs, pushing outwards, could be a concern for some of them I guess. Good Luck.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:30:28 AM »
i've seen a lot of pro bbers that take drugs that make muscles grow without direct stimulation.
  This is true good point
bodybuildersreality.com

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 12:09:38 PM »
Treat the ab's like any other muscle group with maybe 2 set's of 8-12 rep's at the end of your regular workouts. Add weight when needed because, as a short range of motion muscle, the ab wall is very powerful. No need for marathon ab workouts by anyone. Keeping the ab wall strong insures balance with the lower back, imbalance can produce lower back problems for some.

Those $4.95 Ab wheels you see around are a very good investment, not a toy as some would believe. It can hit the lower and upper ab's very well. I wonder if some of those Pro's belly's are so big that they prevent doing direct ab work like simple crunches, etc. Those deformed and overly large internal organs, pushing outwards, could be a concern for some of them I guess. Good Luck.

I have NEVER been so sore in my abs as when i throw in a few sets of ab wheel without having trained abs in a while.  I agree, this thing is a great investment. 
I personally believe in slightly higher reps for abs, 15-25 and going till they REALLY hurt- i mean, not failure, but you gotta work em just like you work any other muscle group.  I think 6-10 sets, 2-3 days a week is pretty good.
:-)

Cooter

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:26:29 PM »
I Havent trained abs since i started liftingin February...Squats and DL's take care of my abs..

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 03:28:56 PM »
Bad idea, period.  R - E - A - D !!!    Ask yourself, is having a well developed abdominal wall and core a positive thing or a negative thing????????

Whatever your answer is YOUR answer.

XS

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 06:40:22 PM »
I Havent trained abs since i started liftingin February...Squats and DL's take care of my abs..
Start training abs and see if your squats and DL don't improve.  I guarantee they will, if for some reason they don't it's because your retarded.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:44:02 PM »
Start training abs and see if your squats and DL don't improve.  I guarantee they will, if for some reason they don't it's because your retarded.

Funny!  Truth hurts!!!! ;D

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 02:34:38 PM »
Squatting and deadlifting heavy wthout a strong and developed abdominal wall is a perfect way of asking for a hernia. Even if you use perfect form and wear a belt, you should stil train your abs, to keep your core strong.