Author Topic: A Total Double-Standard  (Read 6141 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
A Total Double-Standard
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:47:55 AM »
I was watching Sesame Street with my 3 year-old a couple of days ago.  Well, the sound they were featuring for the day was en, and they used the following words for examples

hen
ten
Zen

The zen thing triggered a thought for me.  Let's say the sound was od, and the words used for examples would be:

pod
nod
God

Now, in all fairness, they may have already used this before.  But something tells me they haven't, nor do they have any desire to.  But, if they were to use the latter of these two examples on Sesame Street, the ACLU would have been in an absolute uproar.  NBC would have been all over it, and Hollywood would be making a movie about how the "right-wingers" are corrupting the minds of our children. 

Is this a fair assumption?  It's ok to say the word Zen on Sesame Street, but mention the word God and a battle would ensue.    I thought, "how subtle is this?"  In my opinion, this is a total double-standard.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
Re: A Total Double-Standard
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 09:10:34 PM »
Sesame street is a horrible show. It teaches you to judge people. You got little kids teasing and calling Oscar a grouch just because he's poor. Do you expect him to be happy? Cookie monster has crazy drugs in his cookies, Snuffy is a coke-headed elephant, and the Count is a pimp! Furthermore Elmo is turning kids into little queers slowly but surely. I don't take credit for all these observations but I stand by them.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:12:53 PM »
heheheheh

Just like you stand by your battleship?   ;D

I love old cars.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:21:25 PM »
I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of getting a license plate that says TITANIC. My friends gave it that name.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:47:52 AM »
Please don't knock Sesame Street, I had a hand in producing that show.
I'm not knocking it.  Honest!  I like Sesame Street, loved it as a kid, and like the fact that my kids watch it.  But it's a legitimate thought that I share.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:49:18 AM »
I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of getting a license plate that says TITANIC. My friends gave it that name.

Hey, it's getting you from point A to point B, right?  No worries, bro.   :)

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 06:59:02 AM »
Sesame street is a horrible show. It teaches you to judge people. You got little kids teasing and calling Oscar a grouch just because he's poor. Do you expect him to be happy? Cookie monster has crazy drugs in his cookies, Snuffy is a coke-headed elephant, and the Count is a pimp! Furthermore Elmo is turning kids into little queers slowly but surely. I don't take credit for all these observations but I stand by them.
gibber I happen to watch Sesame Street everyday with my daughter and actually see NOTHING you are talking about. Oscar is not teased he is understood to be a grouch, and he's not poor he lives that way. As for Elmo turning kids into little queers, as if that were true HALF OF THE US would be GAY.
Just because you don't agree or can't "understand" how children think doen't mean you bash a TV SERIES thats' been on for almost 4 DECADES. If it were that bad it would have been cancelled.
By the way, looks like you have the same "problem" with cookies as the Cookie Monster! :P

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 07:00:28 AM »
the power steering gear box recently broke but that was because the guy didn't fix it right. another dude is hopefully fixing it again today

dude... what i said was all a joke. dave chappelle said all that stuff.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 07:03:18 AM »
I don't take credit for all these observations but I stand by them.
Ought to emphasize a little better when you joke, dude!

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 07:05:37 AM »
come on... the count is a pimp? of course joke

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 06:46:23 PM »
Sesame street is a horrible show. It teaches you to judge people.

I know the rest of your post was meant in jest, ...but I kinda think Sesame Street does have it's faults.

I hate when they do that song "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong. Can you guess which thing is not like the other...  by the time I finish this song?"

When these kinds of thought patterns are instilled in youngsters at a very early age, ...is it any wonder that so many grow up having difficulty accepting something or someone that is "different". Just because something is different doesn't mean it doesn't belong. </overly sensitive rant off>

Furthermore Elmo is turning kids into little queers slowly but surely.

Ah pshaw, ...no show turns 'em faster than Teletubbies. {pssst} The purple one even carries a purse.  ;)
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 06:58:19 PM »
Colossus, I believe your double-standard theory absolutely does have merit. 

as far as gibberj2's car..... for some reason the B52 lyrics popped into my head:
"Look at my Chrysler, it's as big as a whale and I'm about to set sail!"
"Blah blah my car, it seat about twenty, so come on and bring your juke box money!"

Gibberj2....take comfort in knowing that if you get into a fender bender, your car will win.
R

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 07:23:44 PM »

Mr Chappelle would be proud ;)

Unknown8471

• Getbig II
  • I will never be a memery
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:18 PM »
I was watching Sesame Street with my 3 year-old a couple of days ago.  Well, the sound they were featuring for the day was en, and they used the following words for examples

hen
ten
Zen

The zen thing triggered a thought for me.  Let's say the sound was od, and the words used for examples would be:

pod
nod
God

Now, in all fairness, they may have already used this before.  But something tells me they haven't, nor do they have any desire to.  But, if they were to use the latter of these two examples on Sesame Street, the ACLU would have been in an absolute uproar.  NBC would have been all over it, and Hollywood would be making a movie about how the "right-wingers" are corrupting the minds of our children. 

Is this a fair assumption?  It's ok to say the word Zen on Sesame Street, but mention the word God and a battle would ensue.    I thought, "how subtle is this?"  In my opinion, this is a total double-standard.

its nothing realy, zen is a word, it rimes with the other examples so why not use it? it realy dosent mater what words they pick, this is nothing to get your underware in a bunch over.
unknown