Author Topic: When your dog is perfectly capable of jumping onto the couch/chair/bed....  (Read 1507 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Why is it that sometimes they practically "crawl" slowly up there....kind of looking at you like you're supposed to help  ::)  or to see if it's OK?  Do anyone elses dogs do this?  What are they thinking?
R

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: When your dog is perfectly capable of jumping onto the couch/chair/bed....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:10:17 AM »
I'm going to beat all the other amateur animal psychologists to the punch here.

they think the couch is your "bed," and since a beta won't take an alpha's spot in the den w/o expecting repercussions . . . they're checking to see if you'll go crazy stella on their asses.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »
Briona will put her head on the chair and look pitiful if she wants to get in it with me.  She is the only one who does that because besides Tad, she is the only one who can fit in the chair with me.   :P

Both Addie and Emmett have made an attempt to get in the chair with me, both gave up and never attempted it again.  I felt bad for Emmett because he really really wanted to sit with me in the chair. He now will come and hide his head in my lap and act all dejected.
   :(

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »
and act all dejected.[/color]   :(
lololoz
R

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
Is he the first male to bury his head in your lap?  :D
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »

::)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:26:23 PM »
Every now and then I'll bring Plato on my bed to pet him, other than that, he isn't allowed on the couch/bed/anything, and never tries to go up.  Ever. 

Some dogs really do change personality wise when they are the same height as you/above you.  If your dog listens to you while you are laying down and he is standing up, he knows who is in charge.

They also probably don't think it is your "bed", since the room you sleep in is "the den", wolves don't have "beds".  They just inherently know, or should know, that the alpha gets the high ground.

If he was inherently more submissive, or any dog, it's fine to let them anywhere that you feel comfortable with, but never with a dog that is a social climber.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
Every now and then I'll bring Plato on my bed to pet him, other than that, he isn't allowed on the couch/bed/anything, and never tries to go up.  Ever. 

Some dogs really do change personality wise when they are the same height as you/above you.  If your dog listens to you while you are laying down and he is standing up, he knows who is in charge.

They also probably don't think it is your "bed", since the room you sleep in is "the den", wolves don't have "beds".  They just inherently know, or should know, that the alpha gets the high ground.

If he was inherently more submissive, or any dog, it's fine to let them anywhere that you feel comfortable with, but never with a dog that is a social climber.

Agreed my boys both sleep with us.. But as Chaos was there first I find Chucka alot of nights sleeping on the floor until I call him up on the bed.. I guess Chaos is the big dog...