Author Topic: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls  (Read 63789 times)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:32 PM »
that is true...some of these owners want a dog that is a viscous, tough looking dog....they seek out pits, rots, dobies,german sheppards, mastifs,ect.....they could take a golden retriever and do the same thing but of course that just wouldnt cut it.
the only thing i would say is that the majority of pit owners are not that way....and most of these dogs are part of loving caring famalies....but the gang bangers, thugs and dog fighters do play a big part in damaging the image of an otherwise great breed.

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
THAT BLUE PIT IN YOUR FIRST PICTURE LOOKS BAD ASS  :o
pump'em dump'em

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
all the LVF scumbags in belfast walk around with ILS and wifebeaters with their pitbulls.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2006, 01:19:23 PM »
Let's look at some video evidence of just why pitbulls are such 'misunderstood' creatures

Pit attacks family dog
Boy attacked
Pit attacks owner
Dog fight
Victim gives press conference his face is not a pretty sight.
Dog warden attacked

body88

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »
I could post hundreds of videos of car accident victims. Should all cars be banned? Have you seen the news video of the baby killed by the family cocker spaniel. Should that entire breed be banned? Judging by the reaction from the unlucky family on video.

Do you do steroids? There is scientific evidence that they can kill you and are very dangerous you know.

The facts of the matter is over 1000 people die from lighting strikes each year. Under 17 die from pitbull attacks.hell under 10. All dog breeds are responsible for about 17 deaths per year.

You have a 1000 times greater chance of being killed by lightning than being killed by a pitbull. Better watch out!

Those videos are foolish. You can find examples of any accusation. That logic is ridiculous.

The best video was the dog fighting the other "family dog".Pretty obvious they are two random dogs lose on the streets. Do you know how many breeds could / would do that. It is out of the ordinary to see two dogs fight ::) Any dominant breed male will not get along with another. Hilarious that you would think it was only a pitbull thing. Even more funny is you blame the dog when the owner allows it to roam on the street free ::) And the absolute kicker. The video is in spanish. Is that even the US?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2006, 02:04:43 PM »
2005 American Temperament Test Results
Pit Bulls are often victims of prejudice and discrimination. Responsible Pit Bull owners and their dogs will help restore the image of the breed.

In 2005 at the American Temperament Test, Pit Bull dogs achieved a combined passing score of 83.8%.

American Pit Bull Terrier: 515 tested   83.5% passed
American Staffordshire Terrier:   503 tested   83.3% passed
Staffordshire Bull Terrier: 59 tested 84.7% passed
Total    1077 tested   83.8% passed

To put this in perspective, consider:

All Breeds:    26,615 tested    81.2% passed
Collie: 801 tested    79.0% passed
Golden Retriever: 679 tested    83.7% passed

Pit Bulls Make Great Partners!

To Learn More About the American Temperament Test Society Click Here

About Canine Temperament

Because of breed-specific dog legislation and negative publicity associated with many breeds of dogs, temperament testing has assumed an important role for today's dog fancier. The American Temperament Test provides breeders a means for evaluating temperament and gives pet owners insight into their dog's behavior. It can have an impact on breeding programs and in educating owners about their dog's behavioral strengths and weaknesses as well as providing a positive influence on dog legislation.

What is temperament?

W. Handel, German Police Dog Trainer, in his article, "The Psychological Basis of Temperament Testing," defines temperament as:"the sum total of all inborn and acquired physical and mental traits and talents which
determines, forms and regulates behavior in the environment"

The ATTS test focuses on and measures different aspects of temperament such as stability, shyness, aggressiveness, and friendliness as well as the dog's instinct for protectiveness towards its handler and/or self-preservation in the face of a threat. The test is designed for the betterment of all breeds of dogs and takes into consideration each breed's inherent tendencies.

The test simulates a casual walk through the park or neighborhood where everyday life situations are encountered. During this walk, the dog experiences visual, auditory and tactile stimuli. Neutral, friendly and threatening situations are encountered, calling into play the dog's ability to distinguish between non-threatening situations and those calling for watchful and protective reactions.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2006, 02:58:11 PM »
Well the point is, as I have said previously and you (body88) agreed with me. Is that pits, for the most part are owned by morons. There's no doubt that in the hands of the wrong person these dogs can be lethal weapons. Now you can't legislate against people being morons but we can help make the streets a safer place for people by getting rid of these dogs thus preventing another person/child having their face ripped off.

body88

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2006, 03:29:40 PM »
Well the point is, as I have said previously and you (body88) agreed with me. Is that pits, for the most part are owned by morons. There's no doubt that in the hands of the wrong person these dogs can be lethal weapons. Now you can't legislate against people being morons but we can help make the streets a safer place for people by getting rid of these dogs thus preventing another person/child having their face ripped off.

I agree with you that there should be something done. Something done to the people who exploit these breeds. You are a smart person. I know that you know that picture has happened with other breeds as well as pitbulls.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2006, 03:39:34 PM »
these breed restriction laws are really fucked up...i know miami and denver have bans on pits already...anyone who has had a pit knows what a great dog they are...i'm not from cali but you can still sign this petition to stop sb861...

http://www.petitiononline.com/NOBSL/petition.html

Mexicans kill everyday, you don't see us banning them from cali. do you?  Not that it would be a bad idea..

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »

I agree with you that there should be something done. Something done to the people who exploit these breeds. You are a smart person. I know that you know that picture has happened with other breeds as well as pitbulls.

of course it has, I'd be a fool to deny it, any dog can do damage to a person. Just that pits as well as other so called dangerous dogs can do much more damage than most.

There's this black moron that lives near me, he has a rottweiler and he likes to think he's a badass by walking around with this dog not kept on a lead. You should see him with his chest puffed out as he walks, it's almost as if the dog gives him super human powers.

It's only a matter of time before the dog goes for someone and when it does it will get put down. It's not the dogs fault, it's the fucking pricks fault but the dog will pay for it. In a ideal world they'd put him down along with the dog.

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2006, 04:00:10 PM »

Mexicans kill everyday, you don't see us banning them from cali. do you?  Not that it would be a bad idea..

+1
pump'em dump'em

body88

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2006, 06:01:35 PM »
of course it has, I'd be a fool to deny it, any dog can do damage to a person. Just that pits as well as other so called dangerous dogs can do much more damage than most.

There's this black moron that lives near me, he has a rottweiler and he likes to think he's a badass by walking around with this dog not kept on a lead. You should see him with his chest puffed out as he walks, it's almost as if the dog gives him super human powers.

It's only a matter of time before the dog goes for someone and when it does it will get put down. It's not the dogs fault, it's the fucking pricks fault but the dog will pay for it. In a ideal world they'd put him down along with the dog.

Here is my solution. If I had some sort of political position this is what I would do.

1.) First I would hold a meeting or press conference on the subject. I would tackle both sides of the issue. Good and bad. I would educate people on the myths about pitbulls and other "dangerous" breeds. I would also go into the business of news and how they sensationalize things to sell a story. I would show statistics and temperament studies. I would dive into the facts. not myths about dogs. Light would be shed on the irresponsible acts leading to 90 percent of these attacks. Those would include leaving children alone with dogs, leaving dogs to roam free, abuse, Mal nutrition, not socializing a dog and lastly dog fighters.

I am a reasonable person. To say a pitbull, Doberman American bulldog or any other large working breed is not more dangerous than say a tea cup terrier is foolish. I would try to compromise. No matter how much you educate people you would have people who will not listen to the facts and want extreme action, IE banning a breed totally.

Here are some points on how I would handle this.

1.) All dogs of all breeds over 40 lbs have to be registered at your local vet. No expense or fine if one does not obey this condition. BUT if a dog that was not register attacked and killed/severely maimed a person the owner would automatically be held responsible no matter the circumstance. 90 percent of these children who die are left alone with dogs much larger than them. BAD IDEA.

2.) If a dog whom is registered was to attack a person and severely maim or kill them there would be an investigation into the circumstances. If the owner was found to have been negligent, abusive, or facilitated the attack itself they would be held criminally responsible. The dog would be uthanized humanly and the owner would face some serious jail time. None of this pussy shit you see now. JAIL TIME. Jail time would obviously only apply if the situation showed the owner to be clearly at fault for the attack. If the dog did this out of the blue while on lead or had mental issues the circumstances would not be criminal.  Remember the point of this is to punish the owners not the tool they use to be irresponsible. 

3.) If your animal attacks or harms a person of a non serious nature and the victim feels they where unjustly attacked the animal will be temperament tested By the local vet. if the animal passes the test and is stable the owner and animal have to complete a K9 training and education course. There would obviously be an investigation into this to stop people from antagonizing animals to attack and then wrongly blaming the owner.

4.) The pitbull, Doberman etc owners would get rights to. if a person was to antagonize an animal. or proof could be provided of other foul play the person responsible would be punished with hefty fines.

5.) I would hold meeting for dog lovers and also critics to attend and raise issues. People just do not take dogs serious.

Most people jusy need to be educated on the subject. The media is a business. The more sensational the story the better. Obvious with dog attacks. Time after time I watch these when they occur and most all the facts are myths or plain ignorant.

This is America you cannot tell me I can own a gun but not a breed of DOG. especially when that animal is 5000 times less likely to attack you than you being struck by a rouge car out on a walk. It is about time the idiots who let there animals get to these stages be punished. Not little pitbull puppies who haven't done a damn thing.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »
its also important to make sure these bsl advocates know that if they are in favor of banning the dog, they are basically handing out a death sentence....some of the dogs will be lucky enough to find new homes but the majority of them will be put down...this has already been going on in denver...i dont have the numbers in front of me but its some pretty sick shit.

body88

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2006, 09:14:17 PM »
Look at this KILLER!!!!!!!!!

I had a pit before I got my American bulldog. My guy is just a puppy and you would be surprised the number of people who are scared of him. he is the nicest dog you could ever meet. But for all those idiots who are scared for no good reason I meet tons of people who love him. He has very unique markings so people love him.

Just the other day I was on the beach with my pup. he played with 4 or 5 young kids while I talked with there mother and father. The couple commented several times how they wish there dog (Beagle) was as playful as my puppy.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
fuck pitbulls. i know a few that were really nice but too many people dont pay enough attentio nto them adn their instincts take over. plus all these dumbasses get them to show off to their friends

they are not worth it, there are plenty of less bloodshirty dogs to get
Valhalla awaits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2006, 10:18:41 PM »
Yes that is FALSE. I just read the whole study. The study says pitbull TYPE breeds were number one. Rottys were a close second and German Shepard's third. The American pitbull Terrier was not listed as the number one killer in bite related deaths. it says pitbull TYPE breeds.

Further more this bullshit article posted sourcing this study which I just read fails to leave out the fact that on average there are 17 deaths by year caused by dogs. It also says 90 percent of these are SMALL children. I wonder what the number would be if the parents negligence in leaving babies alone with dogs was involved.

Also there is 1380 deaths by year from lighting. There are 17 from dog attacks.  I get so sick of people who have no idea what they are talking about hurling accusations around about these breeds. I am not talking about you.

If you look at the true facts and who owns these dogs whom attack people your opinions will change. If pitbulls are banned they will just move on to another breed., There are alot of big tough breeds out there. I hope the idiots have alot of time on hand. They are going to be passing laws on dogs for a long long time.

Again politicians look for the quick fix. City councils are the same way. I wonder how this country would be if laws were passed and extreme decisions made on miss information and jumping to conclusions.

OH YA!!!!! A LITTLE THING CALLED IRAQ IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF THIS!!!!!

I will answer the rest of the posts when I get back from the beach 8)

Thanks.  I'm not sure pit bull "type" breeds is that big of a distinction, but I'll read the study and do some reading.  I really don't have an opinion . . . yet.  

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
my friend has a pitbull, Bosco. It is so fuckin dumb. Real nice tho.  But kinda annoying.  He really likes beer.  He just got his balls chopped the other day tho, poor guy.  But i still would have no problem with a ban, or at least a forced spading/neutering of all nonbreeder held pits.  Unless you live in the country or have mad free time i dont think most dogs should be allowed.
Valhalla awaits.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2006, 12:14:34 AM »
 Body88: How is this for an idiot. Tonight at work the subject of pets came up,and a dude I work with mentioned that he had two pits...Well I brought up this topic,and this is what he said.He may have been joking but he didn't act like it.He said " Yeah what ya do is mix gunpowder in some hamburger and feed it to them..after awhile it f**ks  up their brain and they act crazy as hell...makes em mean so they will fight" now that sounds very far fetched to me,but he never said he was kid'n,and he acted totally serious when he said it.If he was serious then it is morons like him that need to be mauled by their own dogs!!

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2006, 12:20:47 AM »
Body88: How is this for an idiot. Tonight at work the subject of pets came up,and a dude I work with mentioned that he had two pits...Well I brought up this topic,and this is what he said.He may have been joking but he didn't act like it.He said " Yeah what ya do is mix gunpowder in some hamburger and feed it to them..after awhile it f**ks  up their brain and they act crazy as hell...makes em mean so they will fight" now that sounds very far fetched to me,but he never said he was kid'n,and he acted totally serious when he said it.If he was serious then it is morons like him that need to be mauled by their own dogs!!

Take this fool out to lunch tomorrow and slip some estrogen in his burger..  I would..

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2006, 04:50:28 AM »
f**k pitbulls. i know a few that were really nice but too many people dont pay enough attentio nto them adn their instincts take over. plus all these dumbasses get them to show off to their friends

they are not worth it, there are plenty of less bloodshirty dogs to get

listen man i'm not gonna get into it like i usually would after hearing some shit like that......you should do yourself a favor and read up on the nature of the APBT...i mean if your gonna refer to  them as blood thirsty killing machines you should atleast be sure of what your talking about first.

body88

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2006, 05:01:36 AM »
Thanks.  I'm not sure pit bull "type" breeds is that big of a distinction, but I'll read the study and do some reading.  I really don't have an opinion . . . yet.  

Well here is the thing.

I have an American bulldog. Has the old English bulldog as an ancestor. The pitbull does also. Other breeds that could be considered pitbull "types" are.

Staffordshire terriers, American bulldogs,bull terriers, English Staffordshire terriers and of course the APT.

Take a dog like a rototiller. What that list is doing with pitbulls is taking a common ancestor of the pit and grouping any dog with that ancestor (old English bulldog) as one type. basically like saying any part breed a rotty has in it is considered a rottweiler "type".Including mutts. Stupid really

That list also groups pitbull "hybrids" into the study. That means half breeds or pitbull containing mutts. Pretty broad spectrum huh? 4 different breeds including pitbulls and hybrids. Even so there is less than 8 fatal pitbull attacks per year. You have a 1000 times greater chance to be hit by lighting than attacked severely mauled/killed by a rouge pitbull.

body88

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2006, 05:03:14 AM »

That is the type person who needs to be set straight. That right there is the reason that breed has the reputation is does.

awful >:(

body88

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2006, 06:03:38 AM »
I hate that! I was walking my puppy in the Boston commons. This random mut (some type of lab mix) runs up to my dog and starts trying to play with him.

The owner calls his dog back. As I am walking away I hear him say to his wife "those type of dogs are dangerous".

I thought to myself.My puppy is 13 weeks old and scared of umbrellas lol.Would not hurt a fly. Look at this asshole letting his dog run free in a public park claiming my dog is dangerous for no reason. I bet this guy would have tried to sue me if his unleashed dog had instigated a fight with my pup ::)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2006, 06:26:05 AM »
I hate that! I was walking my puppy in the Boston commons. This random mut (some type of lab mix) runs up to my dog and starts trying to play with him.

The owner calls his dog back. As I am walking away I hear him say to his wife "those type of dogs are dangerous".

I thought to myself. Look at this asshole letting his dog run free in a public park claiming my dog is dangerous for no reason. I bet this guy would have tried to sue me if his unleashed dog had instigated a fight with my pup ::)

Oh I am sure they would have.(blamed your puppy)after all he IS a vicious "pitbull" ya know...Sad thing is if that were to happen,and you ended up in court,  the most likely conclusion a judge would make would be the bull dog instigated it....I mean if ya had to "guess" which dog was the aggressor,it would only be natural to first assume it was the bull dog...guilty until proven Innocent.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2006, 06:47:56 AM »
But by the law their dog was unleashed so they should be at fault.

Yes,I understand that.What I meant was if it is one person's word against another's..and someone had to make the call on which dog was the aggressor,the bull dog would be the most likely choice for most people .