Author Topic: dieting moderately...is it a lie?  (Read 22378 times)

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
dieting moderately...is it a lie?
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »
My history of dieting:
1. Net cals of 900/day (eating carbs and some sweets nearly every day, along with healthy things...this was a difficult and dumb method)
2. Galeniko style
3. Relaxed galeniko style (without the binges and fasts, carbs when I really want them)
4. "moderation" - a couple pieces of fruit every day, some oatmeal, some rice, the occasional fast and occasional binge as they happen, small amounts of sweets a couple times a week, most of the time I'm under net 1100cal/day.

Right now I'm trying out moderation. It's exciting because I can diet and put goat cheese in my salad dressing, and if I want to sprinkle some parmesan on my vegetables, I can. I can eat things like Greek yogurt and even have oatmeal for breakfast and rice with my dinner. I am making progress this way, but it's slow progress. It's probably close to half as effective as galeniko diet, except I don't want to kill all the fat people and I don't have to stress over socializing with friends and eating, say, an unplanned meal of lasagna.

Is this effective for you guys? Obviously if you're trying to do a contest, you're going to have to suffer, but if you're just trying to diet down a bit, does moderation really work?

It just seems like results are encouraging, and they're so slow to come by when you're eating moderately. I'm trying to move towards eating in a healthy way 90% of the year, I don't want to switch between eating like shit and extreme dieting.

Should I just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing? Or suck it up and go hard for a few weeks?

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: dieting moderately...is it a lie?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
sounds good.  I was on the paleo diet for  a spell .  I think I will go back to it.  Felt much better and my sugars were going down.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »
sounds good.  I was on the paleo diet for  a spell .  I think I will go back to it.  Felt much better and my sugars were going down.

I just wonder if other people get discouraged dieting more moderately...I guess it just requires more patience.

What was your experience with paleo?

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
I just wonder if other people get discouraged dieting more moderately...I guess it just requires more patience.

Yes....absolutely it works.

I find extreme dieting has temporary results for me.

It seems like you are slowly changing into healthy habits and that DOES bring results.

Obviously there comes a point where the more fat you want to lose, the more "drastic" you have to go......but I find after trying many things I can get to a reasonable body fat with a REASONABLE diet.

Boobie.....not everybody knows what the "Galeniko" method is so you may want to elaborate on that. I personally just find it to be Lyle McDonalds PSFM.....or a low cal no carb diet. Is that what you are referring to? Which is good for fast results.....however there are much better ways to diet.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »
BTW.....when I'm dropping weight I am able to leave dairy and fruit in.....I feel and look good on both. I don't have any food allergies or sensitivities really.

However taking out white refined sugars seems to help with "body composition". At least for me. An example...I will remain the same weight but have less cellulite by eating "cleaner" foods.

For me 1000 calories worth of junk vs good foods makes a huge difference in things like clear skin, etc.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Yeah my skin goes to shit with too many carbs and sugary things, although I tend to stress eat, so I'm running a bad experiment by saying these foods make my skin bad when stress also ruins skin.

I'm going to keep trying this. I lost another half inch off my waist, without feeling deprived, just feeling disciplined. It's at about .5-1lb a week.

Gals diet is ridiculous: at least 4 days of super low cal, no/low carb, no fruit, no dairy, no nuts. It's basically protein and vegetables. Then when you've had enough, you eat one huge meal of anything you'd like, fast the next day, and go back to protein and vegetables. I did it for about a month, great results.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Yeah my skin goes to shit with too many carbs and sugary things, although I tend to stress eat, so I'm running a bad experiment by saying these foods make my skin bad when stress also ruins skin.

I'm going to keep trying this. I lost another half inch off my waist, without feeling deprived, just feeling disciplined. It's at about .5-1lb a week.

Gals diet is ridiculous: at least 4 days of super low cal, no/low carb, no fruit, no dairy, no nuts. It's basically protein and vegetables. Then when you've had enough, you eat one huge meal of anything you'd like, fast the next day, and go back to protein and vegetables. I did it for about a month, great results.

Thanks....yes of course someone will get instant results from this. I prefer moderation myself personally however.

Keep us updated on your results! I'm excited for you!  :)

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »
I'm also trying to have a better relationship with food, and to think about it less. So I'm training myself to not "punish" myself for slipping up, and I'm converting to a healthier diet year round so that I trust the foods and dont have to count calories.

I've been at the point where I wished food didn't exist...I want to catch myself before I go down the wrong path. I wonder how many fitness type people deal with this...or if everyone with these types of interests thinks this way

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
Thanks....yes of course someone will get instant results from this. I prefer moderation myself personally however.

Keep us updated on your results! I'm excited for you!  :)

Thanks kini. :)
I'm so incredibly happy to work towards my full potential. Even though a lot of people are assholes, this is a motivating environment haha

I shall report back with progress!

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »
I'm also trying to have a better relationship with food, and to think about it less. So I'm training myself to not "punish" myself for slipping up, and I'm converting to a healthier diet year round so that I trust the foods and dont have to count calories.

I've been at the point where I wished food didn't exist...I want to catch myself before I go down the wrong path. I wonder how many fitness type people deal with this...or if everyone with these types of interests thinks this way

I've been exactly where you are....it's a process.

I still feel guilty after a "cheat". Which is completely ridiculous....but at least I know it and am aware of it.

Everybody in this industry deals with it.....and I'm positive most people think this way. It's the norm.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
Thanks kini. :)
I'm so incredibly happy to work towards my full potential. Even though a lot of people are assholes, this is a motivating environment haha

I shall report back with progress!

Thank You for solving my dilemma... what to call her. I like that name kini  :)

I find BikiniSlut offensive, demeaning, and degrading, even though its what she chooses to call herself.
It was the same with Camel Jockey, so I just abbreviated his to CJ, but abbreviating hers comes out to BS,
...and that's almost as bad. It was like ' how do I address her without being degrading? Kini, I like it.
w

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »

I find BikiniSlut offensive, demeaning, and degrading, even though its what she chooses to call herself.
It was the same with Camel Jockey, so I just abbreviated his to CJ, but abbreviating hers comes out to BS,
...and that's almost as bad. It was like ' how do I address her without being degrading? Kini, I like it.

I don't know how many times I have told this story......

I kept signing up to join the board and nothing came of it. I used every normal name in the book...."fitgirl", "missmuscle", etc. I never ever got accepted.

Then I just said "fuck it"....maybe this will get me noticed. I didn't actually think bikinislut would ever get accepted into registration...I was just frustrated as I had waited a long time to become a member of this board.

Wouldn't you know it that is the one account Ron actually put through. So bikinislut was never meant to be my handle....but it's what went through.

It is what it is. It doesn't phase me but I've had the handle for so long that I don't even notice it.

The word slut doesn't bother me regardless, because it doesn't bother me if someone is actually termed a slut in real life. If someone wants to have sex with multiple people I could care less. So maybe this is why I'm not phased by it.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 04:27:07 AM »

If you are a stress eater, an extreme diet could go very wrong...

I got obsessed by losing weight. Only thing I could think about was food. I would eat less and less (days of fasting), and then get uncontroleable cravings. I would give in to these, eating too much and the 'wrong stuff'. After that I would make it undone by vomiting, or by compensating with too much cardio as a punishment. That made me feel horrible about myself (I failed!), which led to more extreme dieting, more cravings and binges and so on...

I'm now on a moderate diet, incorporating small amounts 'wrong food' (chocolate, ice cream) so I don't feel the need to binge on them. As long as I am not over eating, do my excercises and still fit in my favorite jeans, it's OK. Well, still working on the feeling OK with it, but it's already less stressful.

Big Willy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:05:18 AM »
I don't know how many times I have told this story......

I kept signing up to join the board and nothing came of it. I used every normal name in the book...."fitgirl", "missmuscle", etc. I never ever got accepted.

Then I just said "fuck it"....maybe this will get me noticed. I didn't actually think bikinislut would ever get accepted into registration...I was just frustrated as I had waited a long time to become a member of this board.

Wouldn't you know it that is the one account Ron actually put through. So bikinislut was never meant to be my handle....but it's what went through.

It is what it is. It doesn't phase me but I've had the handle for so long that I don't even notice it.

The word slut doesn't bother me regardless, because it doesn't bother me if someone is actually termed a slut in real life. If someone wants to have sex with multiple people I could care less. So maybe this is why I'm not phased by it.

Fazed. Not phased.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 08:35:53 AM »

Eh. I'm one of those people who believes in "reclaiming" words. So things like slut and bitch don't bother me at all in casual settings. Let a word cause you to feel a certain way, and that word has power over you. But if you're more comfortable with "kini", I think that's all good, cause Kini does sound precious.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »
If you are a stress eater, an extreme diet could go very wrong...

I got obsessed by losing weight. Only thing I could think about was food. I would eat less and less (days of fasting), and then get uncontroleable cravings. I would give in to these, eating too much and the 'wrong stuff'. After that I would make it undone by vomiting, or by compensating with too much cardio as a punishment. That made me feel horrible about myself (I failed!), which led to more extreme dieting, more cravings and binges and so on...

I'm now on a moderate diet, incorporating small amounts 'wrong food' (chocolate, ice cream) so I don't feel the need to binge on them. As long as I am not over eating, do my excercises and still fit in my favorite jeans, it's OK. Well, still working on the feeling OK with it, but it's already less stressful.

Yes. It's like I land on extremes of the spectrum. While this works for maintaining weight, I can't imagine that this is easy on the body.

Haha instead of dying for that chocolate or ice cream on an extreme diet, and eventually binging on it, I just go to the store and buy it if I want it that badly. Who would've thought? Actually willingly going to the store to buy something that you want, instead of racing there on autopilot during a binge :P

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »

I dropped 15 pounds relatively quickly.  Blood sugars dropped a good bit almost to normal range without meds.  Slept better, didn't have any tummy issues like in the past.  Some of my allergies went away.  I will be starting back.  I felt much much better.  my hair grew back, women found me attractive..oh wait ok the last part was a lie.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:49:07 AM »
Haha instead of dying for that chocolate or ice cream on an extreme diet, and eventually binging on it, I just go to the store and buy it if I want it that badly. Who would've thought? Actually willingly going to the store to buy something that you want, instead of racing there on autopilot during a binge :P

Back in the days of my real huge binges, I would even go to several stores to buy all the snack food, so people wouldn't notice my binging habits...  ::)

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:52 AM »
Back in the days of my real huge binges, I would even go to several stores to buy all the snack food, so people wouldn't notice my binging habits...  ::)

Ohhhmy yeeeees! You gotta mix up the stores sometimes so people don't notice.

Problems

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »

Haha....I actually get embarrassed when buying a bunch of junk food at the supermarket. I think "what is everyone thinking".....haha.

I rarely do but when I do I usually have a bag of chips, ice cream, chocolate and some pastries.  :P It looks bad.

I shouldn't care because I eat excellent most of the time but I do for some reason.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
Ummmm... honestly, if you feel embarrassed to bring your purchases to the counter, maybe you shouldn't buy what you're buying? Seriously, do you really go to multiple stores? I mean, I could understand if you were buying a warped, perverse, fetish mag, ...but food?
w

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »
Ummmm... honestly, if you feel embarrassed to bring your purchases to the counter, maybe you shouldn't buy what you're buying? Seriously, do you really go to multiple stores? I mean, I could understand if you were buying a warped, perverse, fetish mag, ...but food?

It's not that easy 24. Food can be an addiction for some.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »

#justeatingdisorderthings

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 01:55:28 AM »

ok, so it's an addiction. Why feel guilty about buying it, ...even if it's a whole bunch of it?

When I do groceries, and I find my favourite brand of TP at reduced rock bottom prices, I'm stocking up to the limit. I don't care if I need 2 grocery carts to haul it all off, ...and I'm not embarrassed in the least. Do I think people are going to assume I intend to use it all at once? Nope. I've just stopped giving weight to the opinions of strangers who make absolutely no difference in my life whatsoever. Who cares what some anonymous person in a grocery line is going to think? Who cares what the cashier ringing up my purchases is going to think? S/He is irrelevant. As long as s/he can punch up my purchases adequately enough to not overcharge me, and is familiar with the laws governing items that scan up incorrectly... I'm happy. Occasionallly I get lucky, and get a sweetie who carries my cases of bottled water for me.
w

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 06:29:15 AM »
ok, so it's an addiction. Why feel guilty about buying it, ...even if it's a whole bunch of it?
Well, that's the disorder part of it, it is not logical.
Like an alcoholic would still go to a liquor store to buy his alcohol. He feels embarrassed, like all the people in there  - lady behind the counter and other customers - know he's an alcoholic, but the need for alcohol is too great to resist. If he shops at different stores everyday, maybe they all think he only buys one bottle per week, instead of one per day. He's fooling himself, and deep down he knows. But that wont stop him from buying or drinking any alcohol. The power of alcohol is too great.

You can translate this for people with binge eating disorders, but with bad food (= high in calories, sugar, salt and fat). Binging on zucchini's or broccoli is not common...

I have no problem stocking up toilet paper, detergents, chicken breasts or carrots, and never had problems with those kind of items. But buying just one little piece of chocolate is still embarrassing. Let alone buying it in bulk when on sale. In my mind I'm still the 215 lbs hippowhale. So if I have that chocolate in my cart, it feels like people judge me for my bad food choices and being severly overweight. Like it is tattooed on my forehead that I am stocking up for a binge...
Still, I will buy it, because I feel an urge for it. And the more I deny the urge, the bigger the binge will get...