Author Topic: The Calves Thread: the mtwain protocol for growth and more  (Read 150669 times)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
Re: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
GODDDDDD DAMNNNNNNNNNN pumpster thank youvery much for that tekst you tok from ironage, thats the best trickkkk i ever read about bodybuilding.. I just did 2 sets like that with both legs at the same time 4 minutes each set. I also have a thick dictiontionary, and i did it also bare-foot. God damnnnnn i measured my calves before and after that, they re 4 cm bigger now, thats almost 2 inches. GREAT PUMP. When i train them in the gym heavy with big reps, my enkles tart burning, but bare-foor itssss alll calvessss. I think this is the ticket for calves, im gonna do this every other day, they must grow from this. The first set was fucking brutal, great contraction.
I will never train them at the gym anymore, they only grew a couple of inches in 6 years, so i gave up on them and trained them every two weeks.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
I have to agree with y'all.

I've managed to put on 5/8 of an inch in only 5 workouts, spread out on a few weeks.

I can't believe it. Incredible.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: The Calves Thread: the mtwain protocol for growth and more
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 12:50:05 AM »
Only downside is that mine are sore for 4-5 days after i train them like this.

Haven't really trained calves before, so i'm gonna lower the intensity a bit so i can up the frequency 2 times a week is the goal.
$

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »
Only downside is that mine are sore for 4-5 days after i train them like this.

Haven't really trained calves before, so i'm gonna lower the intensity a bit so i can up the frequency 2 times a week is the goal.

Trained mine Wednesday.

Still sore now, Saturday Night :o...

It's like nothing I've ever tried before.

From mtwain:

I would train them twice a week. One set for each leg sometimes two (maybe twenty percent of the time). I would do toes slightly out one day and toes slightly in the other.

I'm gonna start messing around with toe placement from next workout (Monday) and on.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 02:32:35 PM »
1) For all saying that you have 16" calves and don't look nearly as big, simply look at how lean this guy is. If he was at a higher bodyfat, his calves could easily be 18".

2) How does this method train the soleus?

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 11:47:38 AM »
holy shit!!!! incredible calves!!!!! i will start this method for sure and report the results!

man, this pictures made me wanting to train my sitty calves (and thats a miracle LOL)
!

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 12:53:28 PM »
I have to agree with y'all.

I've managed to put on 5/8 of an inch in only 5 workouts, spread out on a few weeks.

I can't believe it. Incredible.

-Hedge

you sure its not a pump increase? Ive put on 2 cm in also just 5 workouts so far. But im dieting and ate very low calories for the past week, and they shrinked back for 1 cm. Did you start with doing one leg at a time. I still do them 2 calves at once and im up to 8 minutes for one set. When im able to do 10 minutes for one set, i will start doing one leg to make it harder.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:48 AM »
Man, gave it a wee try (not 100%), and its sore.

Definately gonna take a while for each set. Ic an get quite a few 1 legged calf raises anyway.

Than wen u add forced reps once u cant complete a proper rep+negatives, thats gonna last a while. Then wen u cant control nagativesu add like 10 rest/pause burns followed by a forcd rep+negative.....Its really gonna b 5 minutes at least of pain.....cant wait lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »
so how is everyone going so far
Z

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 03:31:50 AM »

Quite well.  The only problem I've encountered using this type of training is feeling the muscle properly during the set, which I think is critical for this style.  I can feel it perfectly with my right calf but not as much with my left.  Something that has helped with this is practising posing my left calf and I believe this has enhanced the "mind-muscle connection" with it which has improved how well I can train the left calf.

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 01:07:31 PM »
I dropped it. I was sore for 4-5 days afterwards. Not worth it. So i could only train calves once a week which isn't enough for growth i think, though i had a slight increase after a couple of weeks, but that could just be the pump/inflammation cause it disappeared now.

I hadn't really trained calves before, so i think that's the problem. I'm gonna start things more slowly now, and build my way up. First i'm gonna do 3 sets of 15 (one legged calf raise) with that deep stretch at the bottom, every 3-4 days.
$

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 01:19:01 PM »
Ouch guys, just got back from gym and did these, got 30 proper reps straight away with right leg (32 with left), the bad bit i found was wen u doing the forced reps+negatives and as ur pushing down from above and using all ur calf strength to resist, that feeling wen ur calf starts kinda minny cramping....lol ouch.

iv been doing DC calf work and found my strength has improved alot (size a bit 2), so weneva id be doing calf work with DC, im gonna put these in.

davie

rick brophy

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »
I dropped it. I was sore for 4-5 days afterwards. Not worth it. So i could only train calves once a week which isn't enough for growth i think

This logic is retarded, it should be clear why. If you're sore for 4 or 5 days, you're clearly nailing your calves and really getting a good work out in. If you can train your calves 2 or 3 times per week and aren't really that sore, you probably aren't getting enough of a work out at all so they probably won't grow at all.

This thread is funny to me because my old trainer used to have me do 50 rep sets with my bodyweight when I first started lifting weights. The pumps I got were insane and I could barely walk for days after. Then I got into using machines and while I was lifting a lot of weight, I don't think I ever got as good a pump as I did with my bodyweight, so I'm doing the method prescribed in this thread now 2 times a week and I'm going to see how it goes.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 05:47:22 AM »
It works very well for me, pics soon  ;)

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
Here's the pic:

I started using this method a few months back and ive put an inch on my calves since last time i measured them.  When done properly its one of the most painful things ever, but fuck it feels good when the set is over.

You should try that training method on your quads. You're gonna look silly with calves and no quads unless your always going to be wearing long shorts ;)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
Hey guys, im liking this so far (im on like week 2 lol).

Got to say my calves are kinda sore 2 days after, but werent too bad the 1st day after session. My inner calf feels sore to press, but wen walking or stretching them i actually feel it in my outer calf a bit more i think, and i ahd my toes out while i did it which i thought hit inner calves more??

Heres how i do it (my interpretation of mtwains program):

As many full reps as possible (i can do 26 with left and 30 with right).
Forced reps+negative, until i cant control negative.COule b 5,could be 20 reps.
Then do burns, 10 wee burns then explosive rep, helping urself to complete rep+doing negative with resistance. Do 10 of them.
After u cant move ur calf anymore, step away shake off calf, and start doing more of the burns, until u cant do anymore.Repeat this aboout 5-10 times.

Then switch legs.

davie

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 06:35:42 AM »
It makes all the difference in the world what you believe. I mean, why would someone try a gaining program while dieting? That is just plain crazy. Pass the dunce's hat to this bloke.

Faust's reply is why I seldom post in training threads. Some have no hope whatever of ever growing because they have no clue about anything. These guys read all the forums and have so many conflicting theories they literally have no clue about what to do.

I don't think ballistic movements are safe for calf training, especially as the resistance gets substantial. You can damage the Achilles tendons doing bouncing movements.

Why do some believe you have to recover before training again? If you do that you will soon be unable to grow unless you do something extraordinary again. The repeated bout affect can be side-stepped by training while the muscle is still a bit sore. Sounds crazy but it works.

I would like to see some guys put on a weighted vest and do a walk up hills every day for about an hour or so. Add some weight every week and see how big your calves will be at the end of a year. Really dedicated guys should wear that vest everywhere!  If anyone asks what you are doing tell them it feels good when you take it off.

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »
Faust's reply is why I seldom post in training threads. Some have no hope whatever of ever growing because they have no clue about anything. These guys read all the forums and have so many conflicting theories they literally have no clue about what to do.

Are you sure you're talking about me here?

I don't do this protocol because i was sore too long and i have to have somewhat fresh legs for basketball. Thus i can't train legs as i would like to. Like i said, i tried this and it really blasted my calves. If i didn't play ball i would surely try this protocol longer and see what results i get over a longer span.
$

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2007, 03:15:59 PM »
Fair enough. I guess we default to assuming everyone is a musclehead around here.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 07:48:01 AM »
HOws everyone getting on with this??

It really hurts lol....though i dont have alot of pain in the days following one of these calf workouts.

davie

jorgen

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »
I tried this workout, and let me tell you it was interesting.

Felt a real growth stimulus right after.  The next day some soreness, the next day more soreness, by the fourth day, i could not walk properly.  I mean i have NEVER felt soreness like this in my calves before.  It was really tough at work to walk around for a few days.  I was limping.

I will stick with it.  My second workout was less intense because I wanted to be able to walk.  I will gradually build up to the recommended routine.  I find it interesting how fast I can fail simply using my own bodyweight.  I have challenged a few guys at they gym to simply pump out strict reps using their own bodyweight and they are amazed at how quickly they fail.

on another note, about a week before my second workout with mtwain style.  I did regular calf raises with heavy weight to failure.  The feeling was not even close.  No soreness the next day whatsoever.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 03:20:05 AM »
I tried this workout, and let me tell you it was interesting.

Felt a real growth stimulus right after.  The next day some soreness, the next day more soreness, by the fourth day, i could not walk properly.  I mean i have NEVER felt soreness like this in my calves before.  It was really tough at work to walk around for a few days.  I was limping.

I will stick with it.  My second workout was less intense because I wanted to be able to walk.  I will gradually build up to the recommended routine.  I find it interesting how fast I can fail simply using my own bodyweight.  I have challenged a few guys at they gym to simply pump out strict reps using their own bodyweight and they are amazed at how quickly they fail.

on another note, about a week before my second workout with mtwain style.  I did regular calf raises with heavy weight to failure.  The feeling was not even close.  No soreness the next day whatsoever.

Hey ro, i did them yesterday and im sore today but not unbelievably so. il hit them again on friday.

Think i got 27 reps with right leg and later i got 28 with left.

Throw in all that painful stuff in the middle and i was sore.

Was waiting at reception to get my gym card back and calves wer shaking lol.

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 09:06:22 AM »
NO one else doing this anymore??

davie

snowboarding_bear

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »
i try not to work out my calves because they are already huge enough for me (lmfao) i used to bike alot when i was a tub-a-lard and my legs are like rock...but everything else of me was gross ya know?...but i was in my weightlifting class in school and my friend (we call him pumba) was doing calf rises and he was maxing out and i was like.."dude..can i try? i dont think ive ever done them..." and i jumped onto the calf riser thing and i did a quick warm up of like..3 45lbs on each side and then we started adding on 1-2 45's to each side and we ended up filling it up (10 45lbs on eachside) and i did that 15times((honest to god)) pumba was pissed b/c he could only do 8 45's on each side 4 times

MAKSYM

• Getbig I
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
Ive heard that its very important to train calves at the start of the work out. As not alot of blood is able to rush to that muscle after a workout. I too have bad calves. Mine are very long. Im having a tough time building them up.