Author Topic: Training Variations For Different Goals  (Read 6103 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Training Variations For Different Goals
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Training Variations For Different Goals
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
Sometimes I think we make training more complicated than it needs to be. I notice more and more internet certificate two week diploma trainers are using "high tech" terms to describe warming up like they have some secret knowledge to dupe people. Not saying you are.

I'm always reminded of what Doctor Jeff Everson wrote. He has an incredible amount of college credits in physical therapy and exercise physiology. If you don't know Jeff Everson he threw the Hammer in Track and Field 180 feet. In college he snatched 340lbs and clean and jerked 420lbs. He push pressed off a squat rack 455lbs. He benched 560lbs with a tee shirt and a two second pause. He was the Big Ten football strength coach of the year. He competed in bodybuilding but he readily admits he was never a good bodybuilder. He watched the tv show the Superstars on ABC and he watched Mentzer and Ferrigno struggle to push press 300lbs off the racks. That day he went to the gym and push pressed 300lbs off the rack ten times in a row. Like you he was a steroid user.

He wrote an article that was titled, "Until Pigs fly you don't have to be a Scientist to be a successful bodybuilder."  One can change out the word bodybuilder with any athletic endeavor. He wrote a follow up to that article with a similar theme. He said there have been really successful bodybuilders who were dumb as a box of rocks that by all scientific accounts weren't lifting with optimal methods and those that trained with cutting edge methods who were terrible. Of course genetics rule.  

For me lifting weight is a passionate hobby that is part of my fitness without drugs.  It will never be rocket science. It's picking up stuff.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
Sometimes I think we make training more complicated than it needs to be. I notice more and more internet certificate two week diploma trainers are using "high tech" terms to describe warming up like they have some secret knowledge to dupe people. Not saying you are.

I'm always reminded of what Doctor Jeff Everson wrote. He has an incredible amount of college credits in physical therapy and exercise physiology. If you don't know Jeff Everson he threw the Hammer in Track and Field 180 feet. In college he snatched 340lbs and clean and jerked 420lbs. He push pressed off a squat rack 455lbs. He benched 560lbs with a tee shirt and a two second pause. He was the Big Ten football strength coach of the year. He competed in bodybuilding but he readily admits he was never a good bodybuilder. He watched the tv show the Superstars on ABC and he watched Mentzer and Ferrigno struggle to push press 300lbs off the racks. That day he went to the gym and push pressed 300lbs off the rack ten times. Like you he was a steroid user.

He wrote an article that was titled, "Until Pigs fly you don't have to be a Scientist to be a success bodybuilder."  One can change out the word bodybuilder with any athletic endeavor. He wrote a follow up to that article with a similar theme. He said there have been really successful bodybuilders who were dumb as a box of rocks that by all scientific accounts weren't lifting with optimal methods and those that trained with cutting edge methods who were terrible. Of course genetics rule.  

For me lifting weight is a passionate hobby that is part of my fitness without drugs.  It will never be rocket science. It's picking up stuff.

Put this on the G&O and lets debate this. No traffic here. For the most part, I disagree with this which is one of the reasons why I made this video.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:10:49 PM »

I'm always reminded of what Doctor Jeff Everson wrote. He has an incredible amount of college credits in physical therapy and exercise physiology. If you don't know Jeff Everson he threw the Hammer in Track and Field 180 feet. In college he snatched 340lbs and clean and jerked 420lbs. He push pressed off a squat rack 455lbs. He benched 560lbs with a tee shirt and a two second pause. He was the Big Ten football strength coach of the year. He competed in bodybuilding but he readily admits he was never a good bodybuilder. He watched the tv show the Superstars on ABC and he watched Mentzer and Ferrigno struggle to push press 300lbs off the racks. That day he went to the gym and push pressed 300lbs off the rack ten times in a row. Like you he was a steroid user.

He wrote an article that was titled, "Until Pigs fly you don't have to be a Scientist to be a successful bodybuilder."  One can change out the word bodybuilder with any athletic endeavor. He wrote a follow up to that article with a similar theme. He said there have been really successful bodybuilders who were dumb as a box of rocks that by all scientific accounts weren't lifting with optimal methods and those that trained with cutting edge methods who were terrible. Of course genetics rule.  

In most sports if not all having the appropriate/ best genetics is the likely the biggest help in reaching
Top level.
Though no denying if you add in efficient & effective training it will be of immense benefit
Likewise diet & rest recovery.

I agree there is an awful lot of pseudo scientific trainers out there & just make stuff up to either
Appear knowledgeable or different / cutting edge.

You can’t reinvent the wheel - you can add a tyre & put air in it to improve its performance.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »

In most sports if not all having the appropriate/ best genetics is the likely the biggest help in reaching
Top level.
Though no denying if you add in efficient & effective training it will be of immense benefit
Likewise diet & rest recovery.

I agree there is an awful lot of pseudo scientific trainers out there & just make stuff up to either
Appear knowledgeable or different / cutting edge.

You can’t reinvent the wheel - you can add a tyre & put air in it to improve its performance.

A good book is "Running with the Kenyans". It's about a middle aged guy from England who was a  good runner in college but never great. He felt he never achieved his full potential in college due to outside factors like partying and other factors. Kenya is where the best distance runners come from so he wanted to move to Kenya and learn their secrets. He moved his family there. He immersed himself into the running scene there. What was their secret? Technical intervals? Scientific cycles of training? What was their secret diets?  So many questions arose.

He found out some stuff. Most of the runners ran without shoes because they couldn't afford them. When they won some races and showed potential they got agents who are looking for their own wallet enhancement getting them running shoe contracts. It became a status symbol to have new running shoes to train in. Truth be told they could run without the shoes.

The biggest thing he found was they woke up prior to dawn. They ran long distances like 15 to 30 miles a day. After the run they would all find a shady tree and take a nap. They ate very little to no meat and ate one or two times a day.  They were motivated to get a car, house and land for a farm. Many having achieved that objective lost their motivation to run hence the constant turn over in Kenya superstars.

So what he found out was the secret was a work ethic and God given innate potential. Nothing scientific. The British author went on the run the fastest marathon of his life.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:34:46 PM »
A good book is "Running with the Kenyans". It's about a middle aged guy from England who was a  good runner in college but never great. He felt he never achieved his full potential in college due to outside factors like partying and other factors. Kenya is where the best distance runners come from so he wanted to move to Kenya and learn their secrets. He moved his family there. He immersed himself into the running scene there. What was their secret? Technical intervals? Scientific cycles of training? What was their secret diets?  So many questions arose.

He found out some stuff. Most of the runners ran without shoes because they couldn't afford them. When they won some races and showed potential they got agents who are looking for their own wallet enhancement getting them running shoe contracts. It became a status symbol to have new running shoes to train in. Truth be told they could run without the shoes.

The biggest thing he found was they woke up prior to dawn. They ran long distances like 15 to 30 miles a day. After the run they would all find a shady tree and take a nap. They ate very little to no meat and ate one or two times a day.  They were motivated to get a car, house and land for a farm. Many having achieved that objective lost their motivation to run hence the constant turn over in Kenya superstars.

So what he found out was the secret was a work ethic and God given innate potential. Nothing scientific. The British author went on the run the fastest marathon of his life.

Take it to the G&O

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »

And he banged a prime Cory which was his greatest achievement.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »
And he banged a prime Cory which was his greatest achievement.

True