Author Topic: ACUTHERM DECOMPRESSION  (Read 2949 times)

befit124

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
ACUTHERM DECOMPRESSION
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »
    2 1/2 yrs. ago while preparing for a show my wife tore a disc while squatting, since then she has tried all types of pain management but just reinjured it constantly. On Dec. 19th she had an acutherm decompression procedure. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, the doctor wrapped a catheter around the disc and shrunk it to close the tear then basically glued the tear. At least this is how he explained it to us.
    The doctor said this is a fairly new procedure but there is better than a 95% chance she will recover 100% and be back to normal soon. My question is this: have any of you had this procedure or know what she has ahead of her. She probably is done squatting but is anxious to get back in the gym and get back to a normal life and possibly compete again someday.
     Any info. you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

SPysHagg

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Re: ACUTHERM DECOMPRESSION
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
what she had exactly? a disc hernia? a disc protrusion? which disc? L4-L5? L5-S1 ?

i never heard of that procedure. I'm gonna check it out, thanks for the tip

about your wife going back to the gym, strengthen the back without doing the obvious exercises (squat, DL) and dont pick weights from the ground up ever, ask for someone to put the weights in your hand when your in position. It sucks but the damaged discs will appreciate (even the healthy discs will say thanks, we all know the kind of stuff that ruptures discs and they will!).
I would basically avoid any exercise that puts axial load on the discs, that is, until you have a really strong back by doing specific back exercises. stretch your back and legs every day, but not to the point of making effort (stop when feeling any sort of pain) and let it go slow. A few months in and she will feel great.

thats what I'm doing anyways.     
good luck

befit124

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: ACUTHERM DECOMPRESSION
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:44:53 PM »
Torn disc, and bulging L4-L5, thanks for the relpy