Author Topic: Low HDL  (Read 5352 times)

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
Low HDL
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:48:34 PM »
was reading Mike Matarazzo's bypass article and was wondering if anyone here can also report that their HDL was abnormally low after being geared up.....for those who routinely follow their lab value #'s post cycle, could you give us your findings?...My own HDL was a little low but all of my triglycerides were low and my total cholesterol was also nice and low due to eating very clean, but the HDL changes irk me a bit....

anybody care to chime in?

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
Re: Low HDL
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 05:38:39 PM »
a little research reveals that the anti-e's will result in decreased HDL.....FWIW...

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 07:04:24 PM »
Yup, mine came back very low...

Enough to raise the price of my life insurance by about 30%

big-bri

• Getbig II
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:36:33 AM »
Yup, mine came back very low...

Enough to raise the price of my life insurance by about 30%
What were you on at the time?

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »
What were you on at the time?
1 grams of test a week, 600mg gram of Deca, 100mg tren per day, 35mg D-Bol per day, 20 iu slin, 30mg M1T, and creatine.

I'm sure it was the Creatine causing it though... ;D

SwingGuru

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 09:32:54 PM »
1 grams of test a week, 600mg gram of Deca, 100mg tren per day, 35mg D-Bol per day, 20 iu slin, 30mg M1T, and creatine.

I'm sure it was the Creatine causing it though... ;D
Fvck that's an insane amount of gear.  I figured that the gram of test and its aromatization would offset the negative aspects that Dbol, and M1T have on HDL.  What are your baselines for HDL?  Mine typically runs very high (>100).

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 05:07:00 AM »
its not the base line; but the ratios of HDL to total cholesterol that are most significant factors in potential AHD.....next cycle; I will try to minimize my anti-e's to see if I can raise my HDL and yet keep the sides down as much as possible.

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 05:30:19 AM »
Fvck that's an insane amount of gear.  I figured that the gram of test and its aromatization would offset the negative aspects that Dbol, and M1T have on HDL.  What are your baselines for HDL?  Mine typically runs very high (>100).

I think it was 60ish...

its not the base line; but the ratios of HDL to total cholesterol that are most significant factors in potential AHD.....next cycle; I will try to minimize my anti-e's to see if I can raise my HDL and yet keep the sides down as much as possible.

I've never had to use Anti-E's caz I don't ever come completely off...  I think high levels of test is what lowers the hdl...

Mr.Protein

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 04:21:48 PM »
I think it was 60ish...

Beyond... Actually a HDL reading of 60 is not that bad - unless I'm mistaken.  I always thought a "Total Cholesterol" number less than 200 was good and a HDL number greater than 60 was very good - especially regarding possible cardiac disease.   

the price is great... so is the reward

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 10:42:42 AM »
Beyond... Actually a HDL reading of 60 is not that bad - unless I'm mistaken.  I always thought a "Total Cholesterol" number less than 200 was good and a HDL number greater than 60 was very good - especially regarding possible cardiac disease.   

It was low,,,  I really can't remember what it was, but they said it was out of range...

if I can find it I'll scan it for you...

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 12:39:33 PM »

HDL of 60 is fine.  Unless the particular lab uses a really differenet reference range.  A standard reference many labs use for HDL is  > 39 mg/dl.  For LDL < 130 mg/dl.  Total cholesterol  < 200 mg/dl.  Triglycerides  < 150 mg/dl, and VLDL  < 30 mg/dl.

wannabehuge

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 02:36:28 PM »
Fellows, I have my blood work done every 6 months because of my job. My worst was when I was taking Tren.  I quit the tren because it was so low a 7. I was eating clean, to clean so I started taking alot of fish oil. Its back to normal 3 months later and I'm only using tren at contest time.

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 04:19:43 PM »
Fellows, I have my blood work done every 6 months because of my job. My worst was when I was taking Tren.  I quit the tren because it was so low a 7. I was eating clean, to clean so I started taking alot of fish oil. Its back to normal 3 months later and I'm only using tren at contest time.

I believe I was on Tren at the time to, and I believe it was like half below what was considered OK..  i will look for the report..

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 09:15:48 AM »
Found it...

Here's what was out of range

Glucose              60 (low)       
SGOT (AST)        51 (High)
SGPT (ALT)         87 (High)
HDL                   18 (low)
Choll/HDL ratio  14.1 (High)
Triglycerides      260 (High)
Urine Glucose     .03 (High)

My scanner isn't working at the office but if you need a scanned copy I can do it at home.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 02:29:45 PM »
Try niacin (B3).   

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 03:01:12 PM »
Try niacin (B3).   

Could you post a relevant link or hypothesis as to why?  Thanks

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 11:30:02 AM »
Current guidelines for the prevention of CAD (coronary artery disease) focus on lowering LDL-C levels, although recently there has been a lot of interest in HDL-C as a secondary target of therapy.  High levels of LDL-C appear to be strongly correlated to an increased risk of CAD because LDLs are intimately linked to oxidative and inflammatory processes in the arterial wall.  Raising HDL-C levels might also afford opportunities to lower this risk, especially in patients with pre-existent atherosclerosis.  HDL-C is protective against atherosclerosis, largely due to its function of reverse cholesterol transport as well as its role in fibrinolysis, antioxidant functions and reduction of platelet aggregability (clumping). 

Niacin (nicotinic acid) is the most potent HDL-C raising agent currently on the market, followed by fibrates.  Niacin can be purchased over the counter.  Niacin lowers the levels of all three atherosclerotic lipoproteins--VLDL, LDL and Lp(a), and in addition it raises HDL-C more than any other pharmacologic agent presently available.  It inhibits fat-mobilizing lipolysis in adipose tissue, leading to a lowering of free fatty acids, which has many metabolic implications.  Recently, a nicotinic acid receptor has been identified, and the drug has been found to stimulate the expression of the ABCA 1 membrane cholesterol transporter.  Lipid-modifying monotherapy with the use of pharmacologic agents known as statins (which help to lower LDL-C) may be potentiated by the use of niacin as well.

You will no doubt hear more about this wonder drug in the future.

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 09:22:11 AM »
Current guidelines for the prevention of CAD (coronary artery disease) focus on lowering LDL-C levels, although recently there has been a lot of interest in HDL-C as a secondary target of therapy.  High levels of LDL-C appear to be strongly correlated to an increased risk of CAD because LDLs are intimately linked to oxidative and inflammatory processes in the arterial wall.  Raising HDL-C levels might also afford opportunities to lower this risk, especially in patients with pre-existent atherosclerosis.  HDL-C is protective against atherosclerosis, largely due to its function of reverse cholesterol transport as well as its role in fibrinolysis, antioxidant functions and reduction of platelet aggregability (clumping). 

Niacin (nicotinic acid) is the most potent HDL-C raising agent currently on the market, followed by fibrates.  Niacin can be purchased over the counter.  Niacin lowers the levels of all three atherosclerotic lipoproteins--VLDL, LDL and Lp(a), and in addition it raises HDL-C more than any other pharmacologic agent presently available.  It inhibits fat-mobilizing lipolysis in adipose tissue, leading to a lowering of free fatty acids, which has many metabolic implications.  Recently, a nicotinic acid receptor has been identified, and the drug has been found to stimulate the expression of the ABCA 1 membrane cholesterol transporter.  Lipid-modifying monotherapy with the use of pharmacologic agents known as statins (which help to lower LDL-C) may be potentiated by the use of niacin as well.

You will no doubt hear more about this wonder drug in the future.

Thanks,,,