Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Gym/Stores/Industry Business Board

Personal Trainers Talk

<< < (5/21) > >>

Mike:

--- Quote from: Mr. Intenseone on April 22, 2006, 09:45:42 AM ---I've been doing this for a long time, and the one main things I would never do or recommend is working for a facility. I always have been on my own, I have about 25-30 steady clients not including the athletes and I also have a kids group program that I have been doing for some years now. I only pay the facility $450.00 per month. I agree with Mike's post (not Arvilla) about not doing bodybuilding training, although I will use some compound movements, I stick to more funtional training, I will basically train the average person the same way I would train an athlete (ex: strength, conditioning, etc) i also do alot of circut training and to break up the program a little we'll go to the track for some of the conditioning. Bottom line is anyone can teach the basics it's the diversity of the training that separates a good trainer from a GREAT trainer. A trainer can make a very comfortable living doin this provided it's done right!!

--- End quote ---

People LOVE to be trained like athletes.  I periodize them as well (General Strenth and Hypertrophy, Strength, Power and Metabolic Circuits), that way they never get bored and I can have some fun.  Great Post!

CQ:

--- Quote from: knny187 on April 22, 2006, 10:08:26 AM ---What most people on this board doesn't understand....that functional training is for everyone.  The more knowledge you have on core/stability training, the more money you're going to make.  I know personally 6 personal trainers that make @ 150k (on the books) ....just for tax reasons.  In reality...make over 200k annually.  Most of them are former Marine Bodybuilders with big ego's.  When they started, they had a hard time keeping clients & getting a large referral base going (they were training regualr people like a bodybuilder).  When they took up balance & core stability training they're income doubled.   Over time, their client base increased (huge referral business alone), & the results that people were wanting, were receiving it.

--- End quote ---

I am glad you brought up income as people assume it is poorly paid. It all depends on you.For me, I am booked solid, with a waiting list for peak times [6am/6pm etc]. After 14 years I should be, plus I have lost almost 100lbs and milk that for all it's work with my before/after pics plastered everywhere...hehe...It is my own gym, with overhead being covered entirely by the business itself. I charge $45 a session, however they do 30 mins cardio, so in reality I only have them for 1/2 hour...so I do [US dollars] $90 p/hr.

The biggest thing IMO about being a trainer isn't all just certifications and all that trash. It is just about you, your persona, how you relate to people [read: talk shit] and how you can improve their self esteem.

I live in a small area, so I have to focus on client retention as I have a limited client pool to draw from. I cater to the richer type people here.I do all the little gay things, like give them bday cards, email them things I find that they may like and all that crap.

As far as training style - pretty intense. A lot of changes & variety. They pay for results.

Plus, my gym I have alot of amenties people do not think of. Laptops w/internet on the recumbent bikes, my changing rooms are done up super nice like some rich persons house, sugar free easter eggs out now for easter that type of trash. Everyone is different, but my style as worked wel for me over the years. I hope to step right out of training people [in person] in the next 2 years....

knny187:

--- Quote from: CQ on April 22, 2006, 01:35:06 PM ---I am glad you brought up income as people assume it is poorly paid. It all depends on you.For me, I am booked solid, with a waiting list for peak times [6am/6pm etc]. After 14 years I should be, plus I have lost almost 100lbs and milk that for all it's work with my before/after pics plastered everywhere...hehe...It is my own gym, with overhead being covered entirely by the business itself. I charge $45 a session, however they do 30 mins cardio, so in reality I only have them for 1/2 hour...so I do [US dollars] $90 p/hr.
--- End quote ---

Just depends reallly.  Most of these guys that I know, worked for clubs just to get their feet wet.  They also were able to establish & maintain good records & a large customer following once they left.  They all eventually opened up their own training studios & since then, make a lot more money.

It didn't happen overnight but they had a very detailed personal business plan & stuck to it.

--- Quote ---The biggest thing IMO about being a trainer isn't all just certifications and all that trash. It is just about you, your persona, how you relate to people [read: talk shit] and how you can improve their self esteem.
--- End quote ---

You hit the nail right on the head.

--- Quote ---I live in a small area, so I have to focus on client retention as I have a limited client pool to draw from. I cater to the richer type people here.I do all the little gay things, like give them bday cards, email them things I find that they may like and all that crap.

As far as training style - pretty intense. A lot of changes & variety. They pay for results.

Plus, my gym I have alot of amenties people do not think of. Laptops w/internet on the recumbent bikes, my changing rooms are done up super nice like some rich persons house, sugar free easter eggs out now for easter that type of trash. Everyone is different, but my style as worked wel for me over the years. I hope to step right out of training people [in person] in the next 2 years....

--- End quote ---

I would love to go somewhere where they pass out candy

;D

knny187:

--- Quote from: Mike on April 22, 2006, 01:20:44 PM ---Functional Training can incorporate Bodybuilding, if that's the function.
--- End quote ---

I can agree with that

--- Quote ---Now, am I gonna spend half the session adjusting this Bodybuilders posture and explaining why sitting on unilateral, fixed-plane machines is bad?  Of couse not, that's what he wants. 
Does this client care about balance, stability, flexibility and the like?  Hell no! 
--- End quote ---

Although they should if not now....most likely later in life.

--- Quote ---Eventually you will convice them that they can live a longer life and function better outside the gym with these things but, remember, Bodybuilders don't care if they're healthy, they want to look good.

--- End quote ---

True dat

swatranger:
What's up fellows? I was approached by a guy last week and he asked me if I wanted to be the trainer at a gym he is opening. It is going to be a 24 hour gym (ANYTIME FITNESS). He is letting me be my own boss in that I am not going to be his employee so that I can set my own rates. Not to blow my own horn but I think that I can do really well with this. I am 6'2" 280 lbs and plan to compete in October. So I have the look that I think helps when someone is looking for a trainer. I train hard and serious when I am in the gym. I plan to take this next couple of months and get my certification through ISSA and would like to start with my rates being $45-$50 an hour. We have two other gyms in the city, one being worlds gym. The demand is out there for trainers because there is only a few in the city and none of them look the part. Any advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated. PEACE!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version