Author Topic: Dips  (Read 37077 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Dips
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »
I usually do dips with attached weight first thing in my tricep workout. Now I put them in at the end and I think I'm on to something. After I do my standard triceps stuff like push downs, skull crush and others I now end with body weight dips. I think it working better than using  attached weight and putting them in first. The pre fatigue hits the tricep hard.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:40 PM »
I love them..all variations sans bench dips..

Have a shoulder injury that’s not fully healed and haven’t been able to do them for a while

Bench

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
I love them..all variations sans bench dips..

Have a shoulder injury that’s not fully healed and haven’t been able to do them for a while

Bench

Shoulder injuries are horrible. The older I get the more I believe that if anything aggravates an injured area you should just drop it and never look back.  I can't bench anymore but I can still bench with dumbbells. Every time I think I can work back into the bench the reason I stopped comes screaming back.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 02:34:47 PM »
Shoulder injuries are horrible. The older I get the more I believe that if anything aggravates an injured area you should just drop it and never look back.  I can't bench anymore but I can still bench with dumbbells. Every time I think I can work back into bench the reason I stopped comes screaming back.
It’s actu a bicep injury..I had the tendon snap at the shoulder and reattached..but it hurts in the shoulder

Bench

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
It’s actu a bicep injury..I had the tendon snap at the shoulder and reattached..but it hurts in the shoulder

Bench

I had a distal bicep rupture. I also think I have problems at the shoulder attachment too. Many years since I had the operation. Maybe 15 years. Coming out of the operation when I could finally lift light I had trouble benching the bar. Just shows how no muscle works in isolation.

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
I avoid dips, is this bad?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
I avoid dips, is this bad?
Not really..lots of people can’t do them anyways..be it strength or build type

Bench

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
Not really..lots of people can’t do them anyways..be it strength or build type

Bench
I can do them, even weighted dips with 100lbs for reps, but idk, they seems to kinda be bad for me, not directly in the shoulders but, idk, it hurts my body somehow, maybe just body weight is fine but the benefits seem minimal. I stick to what works, flat bench press and flat dumbell press

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
today I did dips for the first time in a long time, idk if I did 30 or 50 reps(just body weight), I don't remember, but it's written in my log. Trying to get ripped  is affecting my strength a bit, so I'm thinking of ditching the flat dumbell press for dips, what do you think?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
My 2 cents on dips and avoiding shoulder injury.

Don't go too low.  90 degree angle forearm to upper arm is low enough.

Don't go crazy heavy.  Go for reps of 8+.

Sadovnik

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 08:34:16 PM »
I do dips on running machines, extra wide grip, slowly...

Leevancleef1

• Getbig I
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »
Shoulder injuries are horrible. The older I get the more I believe that if anything aggravates an injured area you should just drop it and never look back.  I can't bench anymore but I can still bench with dumbbells. Every time I think I can work back into the bench the reason I stopped comes screaming back.

Dude - try a bar like this..I am 55 now Shoulder pain kept me from benching for years..this type of grip completely took my shoulder pain away :

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barbells/specialty/multi-grip-barbell-%7C-v2/430122.html

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »
Dude - try a bar like this..I am 55 now Shoulder pain kept me from benching for years..this type of grip completely took my shoulder pain away :

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barbells/specialty/multi-grip-barbell-%7C-v2/430122.html

Thanks, might get it or just bench with hands facing with dumbbells.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
Dips are probably great but they always irritated my shoulders.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 04:16:18 PM »
Dips are probably great but they always irritated my shoulders.

My sister tore her shoulder doing body-weight dips and ended up having surgery to repair it. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 04:21:09 PM »
My sister tore her shoulder doing body-weight dips and ended up having surgery to repair it. 
I always felt like I was real close to doing the same thing.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 04:23:32 AM »

I always felt like I was real close to doing the same thing.

Could be a matter of technique - maybe going too deep at the bottom and applying too much stress to the shoulders.

Or, biomechanics often play a role. Some folks are at a mechanical disadvantage for certain movements. Some people aren’t “built” to squat or deadlift well, or at all. Other people are built to excel at those movements.

I tend to avoid exercises that cause consistent pain or severe discomfort regardless of the reason. At almost 41, I haven’t suffered a major injury in the gym - knock on wood.

There are workarounds for many exercises, and I never hesitate to rely on them when needed.

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »
Best investment for my garage last summer was having a local welder build me a v dip bar station for my specifications.  Stands at 60 inches so I can keep my legs straight and the bars v out starting at 24 inches out to 35.  6’3 and it’s the perfect blast.  That wide angle absolutely destroys my pecs especially the upper pecs.  The v dip bar definitely the goat for me with pec training.  Been doing dips for over 20 years and never one issue.  Like anything it’s all about form. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
I'm not lucky enough to have a V dip station. Regular dips have never been an issue for me. Like you mentioned, it is mostly about using proper form. This is true for all exercises.

I too have never suffered an injury from working out. On rare occasion, my back goes out and it's always caused by turning wrong or more curiously something causes it that I cannot pinpoint. Inactivity is a back killer. 

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
I'm not lucky enough to have a V dip station. Regular dips have never been an issue for me. Like you mentioned, it is mostly about using proper form. This is true for all exercises.

I too have never suffered an injury from working out. On rare occasion, my back goes out and it's always caused by turning wrong or more curiously something causes it that I cannot pinpoint. Inactivity is a back killer.

The V is definitely a difference maker and I agree regarding proper form on any exercise.  More and more as I age, a lot more mind muscle connection and time under tension. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
Mentzer called dips the upper body squat. For some reason they don't bother my bad shoulder. I have heard so many say they irritate their shoulders but the opposite is the case for me. I have trouble benching, shoulder pressing, inclines but declines and dips don't bother my shoulder.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2022, 03:34:25 PM »

F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2022, 05:03:40 PM »
Deeps and cheens, man.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2022, 02:53:28 AM »
Deeps and cheens, man.
Pushups, chins and squats.

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »
Used to love suppersetting flat db flyes with dips. Learned this from Bertil Fox in the early 80's..