Author Topic: Why would anyone sign this???? Discuss!  (Read 20290 times)

abz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Why would anyone sign this???? Discuss!
« on: August 17, 2007, 05:50:42 PM »
Below is a copy of the contract that a photographer asks models to sign. This is an agreement that prohibits girls from shooting with anyone else for 2 years. Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts/opinions of this practice (address and phone number has been deleted):

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANAGEMENT AGREEMENT

This contract (the "Agreement") made and entered into this 6th day of July, 2007 (the "Execution Date"),
BETWEEN:

The Photographer (the "Manager")

OF THE FIRST PART
- and -

(the "Model/Competitor")
OF THE SECOND PART

BACKGROUND:

A. The Model/competitor is known as __________; and
B. The Manager wishes to engage the Model/competitor and is willing to undertake to do so, subject to the terms and conditions as follows:
IN CONSIDERATION OF and as a condition of the Manager hiring the Model/competitor and other valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which consideration is acknowledged here, the parties to this Agreement agree as follows:
Business Address of the Model/competitor
1. Any payments by check or money order should be made out __________. The Model/competitor's business address is as follows:
Address:
Telephone:
Fax: ___________________
E-mail:

Business Address of the Manager
2. The Manager's business address is as follows:
Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Telephone: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: ___________________
E-mail: xxxxxxxxxxx

Venue
3. Can be at a show, hotel or house or any other area where photoshoots or booth work can be done.

Confidentiality
4. This agreement is confidential between the Manager and Model/competitor. Translators or people appointed by the Manager are able to involve themselves in these terms. If Model/competitor needs to discuss the contract with boyfriend/husband/fiancé or family they may do so. But please keep the details and terms between those people you talk to, friends and fellow competitors are not included.

5. Term of Contract
This agreement will last 2 years, Model/competitor is required to compete in at least one show every year or do a photoshoot with Manager at least twice per year.

6. Modeling
The entertainment to be provided by the Model/Competitor is generally described as modeling all styles she is comfortable shooting.

Date and Time of Modeling
7. It will involve photoshoots at either an event where the athlete competes or is attending or working a booth. Shoots will also be scheduled out of the competitive season in order to return the investment from the Manager. Model/Competitor is responsible in contacting Manager regarding future shows.
8. Exclusivity
By signing this form the Model/competitor is exclusive with photos and videos. This will limit doing photoshoots with members sites of any kind that are not part of the Manager’s network. Model/competitor can do photos for promotional work, print magazines or ads or free profiles in which she must include Manager. She must ask Manager/manager in order to get approval for any photoshoot or working with a company in any regard. Regarding photos and videos she will appear only on these member and webcam sites: www.muscletease.com and www.muscleteasecam.com
9. Cancellation
The Manager reserves the right to cancel this agreement if Model/competitor violates any of the clauses on this agreement.
10. Shooting Shape
As most of the return investment for the Manager are photos and videos the Model/competitor must be in good shape which is 5 lbs above contest shape without counting strict contest weight on stage.
11. Outfits for Booth Work and Photoshoot
The model will bring her own outfits and will wear some of the Manager outfits for photoshoots, might be thongs, lingerie, swimsuits, etc... As far as booth outfits she will wear only clothing with the Manager’s logo and name unless otherwise specified.

Force Majeure
12. Neither the Manager nor the Model/competitor will be held liable for any failure to perform its obligations under this Agreement where such breach is due to any of the following: acts or regulations of public authorities, labor difficulties or strike, inclement weather, epidemic, interruption or delay of transportation service, or any other legitimate cause beyond the reasonable control of the Model/competitor and the Manager.

Sickness and Accidents
13. The Model/competitor agrees to meet its obligations under this Agreement subject to legitimate incapacity by sickness or accident. Failure to meet its obligations under this section will result in the Model/competitor returning any and all outstanding deposits to the Manager.

Advertising
14. The Manager will be responsible for advertising the Model/competitor on hardfitness.com, muscletease.com, muscleteasecam.com and any other websites he decides are good for her image. Manager will advertise the Model/competitor appearances on his booth and any other pertinent events.
15. Name
The model/Model/competitor agrees that the Manager may use the Model/competitor's name, photographs, and other likenesses to promote the Performance. The Model/competitor will provide the Manager with copies of the Model/competitor's promotional materials suitable for this purpose. The Manager's right to use the Model/competitor's name is limited to the period beginning with the Execution Date and ending upon completion and cancellation of this Agreement.
16. Governing Law
The Manager and the Model/competitor submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of California for the enforcement of this Agreement or any arbitration award or decision arising from this Agreement. This Agreement will be enforced or construed according to the laws of the State of California.
17. Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing
The Manager and the Model/competitor agree to perform their obligations under this Agreement, in all respects, in good faith.

Additional Terms
18. Shooting Time and Webcam: As stipulated above shooting time will depend if Manager is available to shoot Model/competitor. If not then Manager can fly out Model/competitor at a different time of the year and fulfill the hours needed to return the money paid to the model. Additionally the Model/competitor is to perform on the webcam a few hours per month or appear at exclusive special shows at events she competes in.
19. House Rules and Behavior: If staying at a house or hotel room paid by the Manager, Model/competitor will be subjected to certain rules. First of all no disruptive behavior towards Manager, no excessive partying that will disrupt photoshoots next day or the same day, only the model will be at the house or hotel, if you have a loved one or friend that is not involved unless explicit authorization from the Manager they are not allowed in the same hotel/house. Trainers, translators or people that the Manager appoints are fine as their involvement is needed in the success of the Model/competitor event.

Miscellaneous Terms
20. This Agreement may be executed in counterparts. Facsimile signatures are binding and are considered to be original signatures.
21. The Model/competitor's representative warrants that by signing this Agreement it has the authority to bind the Model/competitor to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
22. If any term, covenant, condition or provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, void or unenforceable, it is the parties' intent that such provision be reduced in scope by the court only to the extent deemed necessary by that court to render the provision reasonable and enforceable and the remainder of the provisions of this Agreement will in no way be affected, impaired or invalidated as a result.
23. This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the parties and cannot be changed except by written instrument subsequently executed by the parties to this Agreement. All negotiations and understandings have been included in this Agreement. Statements or representations which may have been made to the Manager by the Model/competitor or to the Model/competitor by the Manager, in the negotiation stages of this Agreement may in some way be inconsistent with this final written contract. All such statements are declared to be of no value in this Agreement. Only the written terms of this Agreement will bind the parties.
24. This Agreement and the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement apply to and are binding upon the Model/competitor's successors, assigns, executors, administrators, beneficiaries, and representatives, and the Manager's successors and assigns.
25. The Model/competitor specifically warrants and represents that all copyrighted material to be performed has been licensed or authorized by the copyright owners or their representatives. The Model/competitor indemnifies the Manager for any copyright infringement and any expenses that may result from such copyright infringement during or as the result of the Performance.
26. It is the intent of the parties to this Agreement that the Model/competitor is an independent contractor and will control the manner and means of the Performance. The Manager will control the scheduling of the Performance. The Model/competitor is not an employee of the Manager. The exclusive nature of this Agreement is limited to the duration of the contract. Model/competitor can renew after two years this contract.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF the Model/competitor and the Manager have duly affixed their signatures under hand on this 6th day of July, 2007.

per: _____________________

Fitness Fan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Why would anyone sign this???? Discuss!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:34:23 AM »
* Crickets *

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
This is being discussed on a number of other boards and I've had discussion with JC via email. My advice - JC is NOT a manager and any woman who signs this is limiting themselves. I'd strongly urge all women to never, ever sign a contract like this.

Elevate Your Image.™

Lena

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »
This is being discussed on a number of other boards and I've had discussion with JC via email. My advice - JC is NOT a manager and any woman who signs this is limiting themselves. I'd strongly urge all women to never, ever sign a contract like this.

AMEN!!

Lena

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
very limiting... unless he is sponsoring them and paying them not to shoot... but more shoots lead to more exposure so it would have to be damn good money

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
Never fails to come through, JC Lopez.

Not only is he the epitomy of ugly mag covers, but he also delivers contracts to match. ;D
As empty as paradise

gymrat3082

• Getbig II
  • NPC Bodybuilder
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
very limiting... unless he is sponsoring them and paying them not to shoot... but more shoots lead to more exposure so it would have to be damn good money

agree with you 100%, unless you gettin paid a monthly check by this guy, why sign something to keep you locked up!!!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 06:30:51 PM »
We don't know the terms of this agreement (money wise) but yes unless it is worth locking yourself out of other potential income, no one should sign this. Those who sign exclusive contracts do so because it is financially rewarding.

Elevate Your Image.™

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 02:02:20 PM »
unless the contract were to come with garantied money i would advise against signing anything of this type

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:15:21 PM »

Juan-Carlos Lopez: Why are you threatening to sue the woman who exposed your little scam?

Why not threaten to sue me? 

Are you that much of a wuss? 

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:17:36 PM »
Juan-Carlos Lopez: Why are you threatening to sue the woman who exposed your little scam?

Why not threaten to sue me? 

Are you that much of a wuss? 

DOH! Tre laying the smack down.
Elevate Your Image.™

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 07:22:12 PM »
JC why are you threatening the various web site owners to sue them as well?
Elevate Your Image.™

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:19 PM »
O.K. I have to stand up for my Boy J.C. First and foremost, Has anyone signed his Contract and then complained that he didn't deliver. Yes, the Contract is very Strict. However, J.C. is not a evil spirited guy. He isn't perfect, but he is not a slime-ball either. I will call him and ask him whats up with the Contract.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 06:14:25 AM »
Women will sign anything because there are so many desperate wanna be fitness models in the world...........not trying to sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Fitness Fan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
JC Nothing to say!  Really...?  No intention of explaining your "contract"?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 11:57:06 AM »
2 of my specific problems...

7. It will involve photoshoots at either an event where the athlete competes or is attending or working a booth. Shoots will also be scheduled out of the competitive season in order to return the investment from the Manager. Model/Competitor is responsible in contacting Manager regarding future shows.
10. Shooting Shape
As most of the return investment for the Manager are photos and videos the Model/competitor must be in good shape which is 5 lbs above contest shape without counting strict contest weight on stage

So as a competitor you are only allowed to gain 5 lbs in the offseason?   

19. House Rules and Behavior: If staying at a house or hotel room paid by the Manager, Model/competitor will be subjected to certain rules. First of all no disruptive behavior towards Manager, no excessive partying that will disrupt photoshoots next day or the same day, only the model will be at the house or hotel, if you have a loved one or friend that is not involved unless explicit authorization from the Manager they are not allowed in the same hotel/house. Trainers, translators or people that the Manager appoints are fine as their involvement is needed in the success of the Model/competitor event.

SO JC would have to approve of my mom or husband/boyfriend coming to visit me.  Sounds like fun

I have so many other issues with the contract and JC in general.  Unfortunately when you approach depleted women who are looking for an "in" in an industry that is full of of beautiful people, it is easy to manipulate.  All I can do is urge newcomers to talk to some of the women who have been around to get their opinion of the photographers they have worked with.
Jennifer

naturaltraining

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 01:26:38 PM »
Well...most contracts are must be mutually beneficial in order to be considered legal. There is also some basic contract law that applies everywhere whether written in a contract or not. I guess the question here is whether there is any real harm to either party and if there is a breech and how would it be enforced. The big thing here is that we do not have all the information, so are we being wise to react so swiftly?

With my experience with JC, I would like to suggest that he is just trying to do something for the sake of organization and professionalism. Has anyone considered that this can evolve into a good thing for everybody? People should not be afraid of contracts, if anything they should be mandatory for business so that everyone is on the same page.

Just my opinion....

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 01:50:38 PM »
Exhibits A, B and C on why you wouldn't want this type of "manager".

Elevate Your Image.™

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »

DAMN!!... Those have to be THEE worst photos of Monica and Jenny I have ever seen. 
Exhibit "B" looks like it belongs on a calendar in the backroom of a construction business.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »

Begs the question (again) - what were Monica and Jenny Lynn thinking?    :-\

To all would-be models everywhere: If you take pride in your appearance and in your image, do not shoot with so-called photographers who do not take any pride in their work unless you maintain control over the finished product. 

I don't believe for one moment that either Monica or Jenny Lynn would've approved such terrible snapshots for publication.  Schmoes have taken better pics than that at expos with cardboard box cameras. 

fotoguy

• Getbig II
  • \m/ \m/
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 07:44:30 PM »
Schmoes have taken better pics than that at expos with cardboard box cameras. 

you were a schmoe once Tre ;D and Thank God your pics got better with time. Hopefully JC's will too in time.

jclopez

• Getbig II
  • Photographer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 11:19:08 PM »
Just like naturaltraining has said there is not enough info, and the contract that people speak about its not even the one I have been using as mentions nothing about sponsorship which is really what I have.
Its nice to see there is a following in what I do, my fans are always loyal... and it sounds like I could advertise a service/product on each post I do.

Well...most contracts are must be mutually beneficial in order to be considered legal. There is also some basic contract law that applies everywhere whether written in a contract or not. I guess the question here is whether there is any real harm to either party and if there is a breech and how would it be enforced. The big thing here is that we do not have all the information, so are we being wise to react so swiftly?

With my experience with JC, I would like to suggest that he is just trying to do something for the sake of organization and professionalism. Has anyone considered that this can evolve into a good thing for everybody? People should not be afraid of contracts, if anything they should be mandatory for business so that everyone is on the same page.

Just my opinion....

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 03:44:28 AM »
JC, has a very unique style of photography, and imo, can work really well.

NPCFigureChick

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 05:29:13 AM »
lift as usual after his own agenda here.
as far as i know jc shot many top figure, fitness and bodybuilding athletes and his reputation is not bad at all. some of the pictures are not that great while there are some that very good. i guess just like any photographer.
i dont see a problem with that contract. in my opinion if you dont like the contract, dont sign. simple as that. or you have to learn how to negotiate and get what you think you deserve. and if you dont come to an agreement, simply dont sign.
i remember lee priest posted ifbb olympia contract.now that was really bad and nobody said a word.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 05:33:51 AM »
lift as usual after his own agenda here.
as far as i know jc shot many top figure, fitness and bodybuilding athletes and his reputation is not bad at all. some of the pictures are not that great while there are some that very good. i guess just like any photographer.
i dont see a problem with that contract. in my opinion if you dont like the contract, dont sign. simple as that. or you have to learn how to negotiate and get what you think you deserve. and if you dont come to an agreement, simply dont sign.
i remember lee priest posted ifbb olympia contract.now that was really bad and nobody said a word.

Some of the drama queens are acting like he holds people at gunpoint or something.

Don't like the contract, don't sign it.