Author Topic: Larry Scott  (Read 75560 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Larry Scott
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 05:32:43 AM »
That way of preacher curling was a gironda method, like many of girondas exercises it looked weird but apparently was very effective.

davie

I did that curl in my biceps routine a few weeks ago. Kinda cool it was known (and supposedly effective) from back in the day. For those who say it was effective, what are your sources? I found it was stressing the bi's pretty well, and would prefer it to straight-BB as I didn't get much feel from that.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 05:36:14 AM »
For those who say it was effective, what are your sources?
The best-using it.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 10:53:03 AM »
The best-using it.
exactly. even if its not an excersise that works THAT well for you its good to always add variation.
bodybuildersreality.com

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »
Based on what you've said, there's no reason to assume that you've realized your full potential the way he did; stop taking a loser's approach and ascribing it all to one thing. You remind me of the guys who claims it's all about drugs.

pumpster his work ethic and smarts, though admirable, were NOT the major reasons for his incredible arms. certainly they were a large part of the equation. you can take 100 other guys, who train their hearts out year after year using every technique and eating great, at least as driven and smart as scott, and probably none of them will have arms like he did. what is the difference? genetics and drugs.

one CANNOT reach their 'full potential' without steroids.

i already put as much effort into it as he did. i am not less intelligent either. and even if i did juice, my arms STILL wouldnt be near his-because of the difference in our genetics.

you are making it sound like he looked like he did because he was a better person or something ::)

99% of the reason the pros look like they do is first because of genetics and genetic potential, and second the use of steroids to reach that full potential. training is far less of a factor than the other two.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »
exactly. even if its not an excersise that works THAT well for you its good to always add variation.

Good point. I've been looking for different ways of doing exercises recently to just spice things up.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 05:18:40 PM »
pumpster his work ethic and smarts, though admirable, were NOT the major reasons for his incredible arms. certainly they were a large part of the equation.
You're speaking in absolutes about someone you don't know. Insane jumps in logic. He trained very hard and very smart; i wonder if you even know that.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »
Quote from: Jr. Yates on Today at 01:53:03 PM

Good point. I've been looking for different ways of doing exercises recently to just spice things up.
The more i train the more i find that seemingly small changes in the type of grip, the width, the angle actually make a difference re: positive effect and avoidance of injury.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
The more i train the more i find that seemingly small changes in the type of grip, the width, the angle actually make a difference re: positive effect and avoidance of injury.
exactly, and that takes time and patience but its what makes you a good bber.
bodybuildersreality.com

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 08:35:24 AM »
The Pumpster said it all, minor changes can make major differences in steady progress. The more experience you become  the better you understand (hopefully) how "your" body responce. All those magazines, books, courses, video's, etc can only offer so much information (or misinformation), than it's your turn to try a trial and error  approach to see what works best on you. Give a honest 6-8 week period to see if growth/size is developing. If a programs not for you, than move on to something else. Another big help to to join a serious BB'ing/lifting gym, if at all possible. Good Luck.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
Here`s Larry demonstrating the press to Benfatto.You`ll notice its not really a press,more of an elbow rotation,and you can see on Larry it mainly hits the side delts.I tried doing these a month ago and the burn inthe side delts is unreal.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZpDwE6rFc&feature=related

And Larry doing the dumbell preacher curl.I recently made a short curl bar that has a slight downward curve to it,so that when i use it on the preacher the little finger  is slightly higher than the thumb.Thats what Larry is showing here.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5KyhFlpbM&feature=related

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
 Larry in 1965 and 1966 had a presence that commanded awe.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »
Larry in 1965 and 1966 had a presence that commanded awe.

Wow... Incredible upper-body mass.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »
Ya, one of the first guys with big-time size along with Ortiz. I have no doubt it was both extremely hard work then dbol getting him that extra edge. Plus the all-American look that only a few have had, like Scott, Draper and Platz.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
Here`s Larry demonstrating the press to Benfatto.You`ll notice its not really a press,more of an elbow rotation,and you can see on Larry it mainly hits the side delts.I tried doing these a month ago and the burn inthe side delts is unreal.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZpDwE6rFc&feature=related

Benfatto looking a bit small, great shape though. Maybe Larry's advices set Benfatto in the right path.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 10:42:31 PM »
Bump. Just cause I'm a big Scott fan..

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:57 AM »
Larry the Legend ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 02:18:28 AM »
Did Arnold learn this pose from Larry, or did Jimmy Caruso notice the similarities in their physiques? I'm thinking a bit of both...

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
Did Arnold learn this pose from Larry, or did Jimmy Caruso notice the similarities in their physiques? I'm thinking a bit of both...
Who knows for sure, but the both looked outstanding at it ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 04:42:24 PM »

Great comparison. Larry was way ahead of his time in terms of arm development.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 10:32:13 PM »
  They both look fantastic there. Here's one more.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »
Pumpster, correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe it was Vince Gironda who "invented" the Scott curl apparatus. And I think that he had the only one in Los Angeles at his gym on Ventura Blvd up there by the present Universal Studios location for a good long while.

Larry did all his arm training there and had to go elsewhere on leg training day because Vince was a strong advocate against squatting. His opinion was that it made your waist too big ( if I recall correctly).

And if I also recall correctly, Larry's training partner was a competitive bodybuilder by the name of Bill McArdle (RIP) and Larry trained him to enter the Mr. California contest in the early to mid 60's, but Bill lost to No. California's John Corvello at the old Embassy theater adjacent to downtown LA's Embassy Hotel. That was a big defeat for Bill and a major win for John

Is that old hotel still there?

One last thing about Vince .... He was a cantankerous old fart but he knew his business just about as well as any school trained "expert'. (Back then the AMA was proclaiming that steroids did not work and any results achieved by steroid users was only due to the Pablov effect (Pablov???).

He excelled in his knowledge of Protein and when to take it and what to take it with. I forget those details  but it was very radical for that time period in the world of BB. Those were the good old days when competitive bodybuilding was just beginning to crawl.

Anyone remember Dale Adrian, Joe Nazzario, Mel Knoll, Curt Haywood, or Jim Holovichik? All former gym acquaintences who have passed through my lifetime at one time or another.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 10:25:53 AM »
Pumpster, correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe it was Vince Gironda who "invented" the Scott curl apparatus. And I think that he had the only one in Los Angeles at his gym on Ventura Blvd up there by the present Universal Studios location for a good long while.

Larry did all his arm training there and had to go elsewhere on leg training day because Vince was a strong advocate against squatting. His opinion was that it made your waist too big ( if I recall correctly).

Stunt, Vince and Larry popularized it and must've had the only one in the area other than the preacher bench at the Easton Brothers' gym, where Vince worked as an instructor before opening Vince's Gym in the late 40s. I think they were also in LA but am not sure. The preacher bench seen in all gyms is the only remnant of Vince's Gym that is widely used, there were many other good pieces at Vince's that aren't known. The old style preacher benches in which one side was slanted and the other side was straight down and could be used for spider curls isn't much seen anymore either. Once in a long while i see some V dip bars at a gym.

Larry said relatively recently that he was sorry to hear that he could've bought all of the original Vince's Gym equipment for 10K, found out only after the fact. Scott still makes those machines himself, as you probably know.

Vince IMO is to this day one of the top few training gurus, along with Arthur Jones. They and a group of guys in California especially LA around the original 1930s Santa Monica Muscle Beach scene seemed to form the typical cluster of fertile minds that expands a business. Others like Zinkin (Universal Gym), Lalanne (apparently the first cable machines in the 30s), Gold, etc. Lalanne's about the only one left.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:09 AM »
Larry Scott truly might have the best arm development of all time!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
I wouldn't say best all-time now, in terms of pure development, but you can still make the case for him in terms of size and aesthetics. He was one of the very few with huge arms then. The only guys who come to mind in his league then would be  Ortiz, Wayne, Sipes, Draper, etc. Not alot of guys at that level.

I think this pic does a better job of giving a sense of the size and shape on this guy, way back in the 60s when this was very uncommon.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »
I wouldn't say best all-time now, in terms of pure development, but you can still make the case for him in terms of size and aesthetics. He was one of the very few with huge arms then. The only guys who come to mind in his league then would be  Ortiz, Wayne, Sipes, Draper, etc. Not alot of guys at that level.

I think this pic does a better job of giving a sense of the size and shape on this guy, way back in the 60s when this was very uncommon.

Yeah Larry had some of the best biceps ever in terms of fullness, length, even to this day he still ranks right up there.