Author Topic: Tom Platz 1981 Olympia Rare Video Caps (Upper Body)  (Read 17819 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Tom Platz 1981 Olympia Rare Video Caps (Upper Body)
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you meant is that Franco sucked the dicks dry and swallowed the sperm of the judging panel?

;D  :-X

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
BOOM to Chick!

I knew a number of people that attended in 81 and they all said the same thing as you-Platz was the man.

Since you attended, based on applause, who had the most?????

Platz was a favorite simply because he was the best not because he had some kind of following based on some other kind of popularity. He had made huge improvements from the year before. He was a lot bigger although he may have been a tad sharper in 1980 BUT! not by much at all. I remember when they started to announce the top 6 me and my girlfriend ran down to the center isle. When Tom was announced 3rd I really thought a riot was going to occur the booing was so loud. When Dickerson was announced second the booing never stopped and I never did hear the announcement that Franco won. I would have imagined that anyone else would have been really embarrassed, but not Franco, he was too full of himself. I could see him smiling the whole time even though you couldn't hear shit over the booing.  ;D

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 01:11:33 AM »
;D  :-X

Unfortunately, it's a viable explanation.  How else could anyone win the Mr. Olympia with that gyno?  :-X
Bodybuilding Pro.com

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:08 AM »
He was never able to recapture that same level of jaw muscle development that won the hearts and minds of the bodybuilding world.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 02:03:46 AM »
Agree with you on that.  Padilla was way more complete than Platz.  Platz had the freaky quads but he was on the smooth side in his upperbody.  I have heard that Platz burnt a lot of bridges in the IFBB so maybe thats why he didnt place so well.

He was hardly smooth.  I think having narrow clavicles, short arms had something to do with it.  No matter what he did, his proportions just weren't pleasing to the eye.  Danny definitely got jobbed that year. 

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 02:43:26 AM »
From the photos on the other thread it looks like Platz by a country mile, not even close. Padilla looks better than FC but, imo, simply too small and runty compared to the other guys to win outright.

FC winning with gyno must mean that it was simply another case of the most well connected guy with the best back being excused a million weaknesses.
O

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 05:12:12 AM »
Chick backing up fellow Rochester guy ...
Platz won that hands down
L

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »

I've seen the video from 81, though it was shot from far away.
You could tell that the top three could have been (in ANY order) Danny Padilla, Tom Platz and Roy Callendar. Those three were the front runners based on what judges look for. But the guys that won and placed ahead of them won on name.
If any of the three (Danny, Tom, and Roy) had been top three, I don't think the contest would still be looked at like an in justice as it is today; even over '80.

tomplatz

• Getbig I
  • "DareD to Dream"
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 08:18:57 PM »
Where in the world did these come from??  (laughing and amused).  If any of you want to put into my first eBook The Untold Series ~ 1981 Mr. O, send me an email.  I especially want to hear from those who actually were at the show.  Thank you for the photos and terrific walk down memory lane.  Regardless of the results, I would not have changed anything, well, maybe place 1st.

Moosejay

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Tom Platz, great to have you here...welcome!

Mike

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »
Where in the world did these come from??  (laughing and amused).  If any of you want to put into my first eBook The Untold Series ~ 1981 Mr. O, send me an email.  I especially want to hear from those who actually were at the show.  Thank you for the photos and terrific walk down memory lane.  Regardless of the results, I would not have changed anything, well, maybe place 1st.

:o Hey Tom, great to have you here! Do you happen to remember talking to some guys in the parking lot of the Veterans Memorial in Columbus right after the 1981 Olympia? I thought it was cool how you stopped to chat right after the show. I remember how cordial you were. You were really good to your fans. Little things like that people remember!! I think I may still have the picture that I took of all us standing there.

tomplatz

• Getbig I
  • "DareD to Dream"
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
:o Hey Tom, great to have you here! Do you happen to remember talking to some guys in the parking lot of the Veterans Memorial in Columbus right after the 1981 Olympia? I thought it was cool how you stopped to chat right after the show. I remember how cordial you were. You were really good to your fans. Little things like that people remember!! I think I may still have the picture that I took of all us standing there.
thank you for the kind words.  please email it to me sometime.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »
thank you for the kind words.  please email it to me sometime.

I will go thru some of my old photos this weekend. I have quite a few from 1981.  :)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 10:31:57 PM »
Bump for one of Armento's Gyms original members.  :) Anyone for a set on the "dune buggy"?

a

Tonyj

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:50 PM »
I thought it was a toss up between Danny and Platz but there's just no way Franco deserved to win that night.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »
Franco's leg

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 11:05:31 PM »
?

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 11:05:36 PM »
BTW, after this show Dickerson announced his retirement, but at the last minute showed up at Bill Pearls ranch to get in shape one last time (not  ;D) to try and win the Olympia. He looked terrible and I give him huge props for getting into the shape that he did. I have pics somewhere and he barley looked like he ever touched at weight before in his life.

Was Coach there at that time?

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »
Tom Platz, great to have you here...welcome!

Mike

Good to see you back MooseJaw...The date of your post may say April, but I know your still here ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »
From The Comeback, when Platz found out he hadn't made the finals of the 1980 Mr. Olympia:

"Am I disappointed? Yeah... I'm the best I can be right now."

I found that quote very moving. The way he handled defeat is honorable.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 11:26:51 PM »
franco,s right nipple was squirting milk all over the judges tables that year,bad bad gyno in his right nip plus no legs and hes mr olympia  ???arnold had those judges in his pockets for that show and franco won before he even walked onstage,platz should have one imho
R

Gino30

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 03:38:27 AM »
lol....

is this a joke?

Tom Platz looks insane.....Franco looks like shit....

Biggest CON in bodybuilding history....

and they have a sticky for Ben Weider?....lol....the top layer of of the IFBB is corrupt to the core.....

Thanks for staying true Tom....you WERE the 81 Mr Olympia.....no doubt about it.....

and oh, you STILL are regarded as having the best leg development in BBing history.....to this day still......thats ernormous mate......an all-time great.....

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »
Tom got robbed that year big time.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 04:16:39 AM »
DAWG

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 07:03:55 AM »
Padilla without a doubt, then either Platz or Callender. The most glaring example of politics in Olympia history. Platz wasn't that much taller than Padilla.

Platz looked great but the imbalance between upper and lower body was still too pronounced when up against Padilla with probably the most balanced physique ever. Callender's upper body was too much for Platz and he didn't have the glaring imbalance.

Padilla on being robbed:

What were your thoughts on the outcome of the 81' Olympia? Do you think you deserved better, and why?

A: I definitely thought that if I didn't win, I could have at least been second. The crowd was with me. When I was called fifth, half the audience booed and left the auditorium. The worst part of this show was the network that was filming stopped because of the audiences reaction.

Also the mysterious thing about this show is that there is hardly any photos and there is absolutely no film. Who has ever heard of a Mr. Olympia not being filmed? And if anyone has film or photos, please contact me. The only photos I know of are owned by Joe Weider and Flex magazine and John Balik, the owner of Ironman.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson35.htm