Author Topic: Need ideas for a wrestler I help  (Read 1100 times)

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Need ideas for a wrestler I help
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:04:07 PM »
Ok,
He is a very close family friend who happens to be one of the most talented youth/now high school wrestlers in the nation. He is now a freshman in H.S. and he needs a bit more size to be the total package. His dad hit me up with creatine questions but I feel the added H2O is about all he would get.
Any thoughts ? We need to keep his endurance and speed at a peak, but need a bit more horse power.

Thanks

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Need ideas for a wrestler I help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »
most wrestlers are trying to lose weight to drop classes. is that one of his goals?

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
Not this kid, he is a 103 lbr. I actually have been doing diets and water manipulation for wrestlers for years, but for those who need to come down. Next year he will be one of those types.....but for now we need a bit of quality size.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »
oh. small kid. the creatine should provide more than just water weight. the main weight gain is water, but once your creatine loaded, you tend to gain muscle at a slightly faster rate.

probably the main thing though, is to have solid meals for him at school. i remember in high school, the food we had available...not the best for putting on muscle.. maybe you could get his parents tp purchase a bunch o protein bars for him to bring to school.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:40:10 PM »
Not this kid, he is a 103 lbr. I actually have been doing diets and water manipulation for wrestlers for years, but for those who need to come down. Next year he will be one of those types.....but for now we need a bit of quality size.
It is not supplements that should be your main concern, it is training and eating lots of healthy food.

Stick to compound lifts only.

Squats             or                  Deadlifts
Chins               or                  Close-Grip Pulldowns
Dips                 or                  Bench Press
Overhead Press/Military Press

1 set to failure each in that order once every 5-7 days. Where I say "or" do NOT have him do both, only one of those. Do not add more movements.
Have him use a weight that will cause him to fail between 6-10 repetitions.
Have him do 1 warm up set with half the working weight for half the reps he will aim to accomplish in the working set.

He will gain strength and muscle size at maximum rate, as long as he eats lots of healthy food and drinks tons of water.

Have him journal everything.

He should always record everything he can in a journal. Write down

1) the date,
2) bodypart(s) trained that day,
3) the movement(s) utilized that day,
4) weight used for each movement, and
5) the amount of successfully and perfectly completed reps for each movement with that weight.

Additionally, he can write additional notes, such as "Increase 10 pounds and aim for 8." It's good to have goals and give yourself expectations. Belief goes a long ways especially in weightlifting.  ;)

Ensure progression. The journal literally tells you what you need to do. If you're only able to complete less reps with a certain weight than you aim for, for instance, you'll know next time to either take it down, cut down on volume, or frequency. If you're losing strength, you'll know you need to either do less work during your workouts or allow more rest between your workouts. IF YOU'RE GAINING STRENGTH YOU'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK;)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »
yep put him on creatin and plenty of the three big lifts bench,squat,deadlift.
DAWG

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »
I am in the middle of prepping a diet for him as we speak, just waiting on some info on his daily intake from his dad. He has been working everyone over across the country so far this year, but is light and there will be some horses dropping down as the season goes on and we want him ready when it happens.
I don`t take creatine so any ideas of quality brands would be helpful.

thanks

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »
i have taken creatine since about that age as my HS football coaches gave us the stuff after training sessions.. i have never really put on water weight, just noticed an increase in muscle recovery.. the offseason is the best time to creatine load, most of the premier college football programs are now loading there players w/ creatine in the weeks leading up to bowl games so it is an effective means for all young athletes

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »
i have taken creatine since about that age as my HS football coaches gave us the stuff after training sessions.. i have never really put on water weight, just noticed an increase in muscle recovery.. the offseason is the best time to creatine load, most of the premier college football programs are now loading there players w/ creatine in the weeks leading up to bowl games so it is an effective means for all young athletes

Interesting.....great advice guys, keep it coming.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »
Interesting.....great advice guys, keep it coming.

gotta drink plenty of water when on the creatine. I drink a gallon a day but I'm 250lbs.so maybe a little less 4 him.
DAWG

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
I am in the middle of prepping a diet for him as we speak, just waiting on some info on his daily intake from his dad. He has been working everyone over across the country so far this year, but is light and there will be some horses dropping down as the season goes on and we want him ready when it happens.
I don`t take creatine so any ideas of quality brands would be helpful.

thanks
plain creatine m,onohydrate is best, cheapest. 500 g sholdnt be more than 20 bucks. if he does take it, id have him load 20g per day for a week, then do 5 g on training days only...or somethin along those lines..

i know whatya mean abotu the horses droppin down.. i wrestled freestyle as a kid and a few years in high school.. my brother wrestled all 4 years high school too..