Getbig Main Boards > Gossip & Opinions

Newly discovered gene drug - New Age in Bodybuilding??

(1/6) > >>

CC3:
It seems like a lot of people here read MD, so I'm sure at least a few saw this little bit of news.  I thought it would be great to bring on here for a discussion.  It concerns gene doping, the supposed heir apparent to steroids in the world of sports and bodybuilding.

We all know about the MyoStat supplement disaster of a few years back.  While the science behind the stuff seemed solid, the bottom line is that the stuff didn't work, plain and simple.  Apparently, however, there is a new drug, ACVRB2, that can legitimately suppress the myostatin gene and lead to muscle gains in as little as two weeks.

Here's my question: if this could wipe steroids/GH completely out of the sport and still allow users to reach new heights with their physiques while staying healthy and maintaining a thin waste line, would you like to see it?  Or would you still rather drugs just not be a part of the sport at all? 

I'll save my response for another post, this is getting kind of long...

CC3:
I'm kind of straddling the fence here.  I've always had a problem with the ridiculous amounts of GH and steroids that have become so prominent in BB since the 80's, but not because of moral issues or feeling like I'm above people who do that (who is anyone, especially me, to judge what another person does?).  I just don't care for the drugs because a) it's simply not healthy at the dosages being used these days, and b) most of the pros just don't look aesthetically pleasing with the GH guts, and synth delts, biceps, calves, etc.

At the same time, who's to say this couldn't get ridiculously out of control?  Steroids seemed innocent enough when they were first introduced back in the 50's, when people were still using fairly sane dosages (for the sake of this discussion, I'm just talking about BBers here; I'm not even going to get into the Russian and East German Olympic teams).  Now look where we are.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I doubt one person truly likes drugs being a part of the sport, even the ones who use.  I know they do it because if they want to survive in the game, they have to, but I imagine many look back thinking "Wow I started doing this because I wanted to look good, I never knew I was going to start competing and it would get this far..." but they had already invested so much time in BBing that there's no way they could turn back at that point.  All the while their bodies are falling apart on the inside...

I have no clue how gene doping works, but if it allowed BBers to completely cut out the use of steroids/GH/slin, etc. and still stay healthy, then I'd be all for it.  Anyone know something I don't?  Does gene doping have any known major drawbacks?  I guess no one can say for sure, as it's such a new science and it hasn't been possible to research over long periods of time (i.e. decades) yet.

Anyway, just throwing it out there.  I know it's long, but I find the issue very intriguing.

Scimowser:
sounds interesting, but there has to be solid testing and conclusive scientific data to back up every angle of the claim. Samir Bannout once said that if you eliminate all the drugs from BBing then the champion will remain the champion regardless

CC3:

--- Quote from: Grundle on February 28, 2006, 02:06:44 PM ---If you read it in a bodybuilding magazin, it's BULLSHIT.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, while I'm inclined to believe you, I do know that gene doping is a science that is making leaps and bounds by the day, and it would not surprise me if the story turned out to have some merit.

Either way, though, just give it some thought.  Entertain the idea as a hypothetical situation and it still makes for a very interesting discussion...

CC3:

--- Quote from: Scimowser on February 28, 2006, 02:10:38 PM ---sounds interesting, but there has to be solid testing and conclusive scientific data to back up every angle of the claim. Samir Bannout once said that if you eliminate all the drugs from BBing then the champion will remain the champion regardless

--- End quote ---

Interesting quote (or paraphrase I guess I should say).  I think Samir makes a valid point.  The problem is that the lines have become so blurred because of the drugs.  I think there are a lot of people out there who would name a lot of pros who they think have a better physique than Ronnie's, yet the judging has become so blinded by the quest for mass and the drug use in the sport that they continue to reward him every year...

I dare say without the drugs, Ronnie would not be winning every year, but I could be completely wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version