Author Topic: Flat Bench Press - is full depth really necessary?  (Read 16932 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Flat Bench Press - is full depth really necessary?
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 06:54:12 AM »
there's no rule that says you have to go all the way to your chest so do whatever feels comfortable but stop making this "too tall" excuse, you're only 6 feet tall that's average height for an American male, i've always benched all the way down because that's what works for me.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 06:56:06 AM »
bro you just stated that you have longer arms..some people that have longer arms CAN'T TOUCH THEIR CHEST with the bar when benching PROPERLY...

don't sweat the small stuff...main thing to pick up from this thread is to find out *with some proper instruction* what kinda benching setup works best for YOUR body and training needs and just go with it baby! if it all worked the same for everyone...we'd all be looking at badass as sarcasm and alexx!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 07:04:13 AM »
i've had two shoulder fuckups so far..and have had to nit pick my shit til i'm blue in the face to tweak out the problems. I stated that i'd use proper form and let the body do the rest...if it stops short of touching the chest then that's where it will stop...if you use the right form, it's almost like wearing a shirt and your chest will stop expanding and your arms won't go down anymore.  Like you always suggest pumpster...go with what works for you.  You don't HAVE TO touch the chest..some people just physically can't.
You're on the same path i was, and i know you're using a lot of weight. Consider for the future alternatives like just using DBs, partial ROMs, moderate reps-never lower than 7-8, max. 1 minute rests between sets, adequate warmups, etc. to reduce this from happening again, otherwise it will.

A person's height is not necessarily the reason some have shoulder problems, it's just the complicated mechanics of some shoulders, the rigidities of a straight bar and the motion itself, for some.

JonBoy

• Getbig I
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 07:10:11 AM »
there's no rule that says you have to go all the way to your chest so do whatever feels comfortable but stop making this "too tall" excuse, you're only 6 feet tall that's average height for an American male, i've always benched all the way down because that's what works for me.

Not making any excuses anywhere, never said my height was the reason- rather long arms, I can't help it if my shoulders experience pain at the lowest point with weight. I do have unusually long arms, think this might be the issue. Even when I try without any weight putting it all the way to the bottom I feel stretch in my shoulders, and that's without weight- nothing to do with technique or lack of strength.

Anyways, don't want to injure myself so will do what works for me.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 07:20:43 AM »
i also think i have somewhat long arms, but that doesnt seems to affect so much...
I think my major problem are my shoulders too (i mean, on bench press). They tend to give up much sooner than the chest or triceps.
 I go all the way down, but i dont lock out anymore. I was always with pain in my elbows and even wrists, and after i stoped to lock out on the bench, all my pain dissapeared and my bench started to increase
!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:18 AM »
best advice i could give you people with shoulder issues..do nothing but compound shoulder movements instead of hte laterals, etc....maybe just focus on the seated overhead presses or power clean and presses and train them like you would your benching...

best exercise for shoulders that will play a big role in your benching is the seated overhead press imho...i'd train it for reps of 12,8,6, and even 4 to really get some power but still help with the fatigue issues! before you know it you'll have some big ass shoulders to go with those d cups! :D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 07:44:24 AM »
I'm just telling you what I do...physics tells us that the amount of work we do is directly proportional to the resistance and distance of the bar moved. So if you want the most stress on your upper body, go all the way to the chest. Do it in a slow, controlled manner and you should not have any problems.

The bottom line is, I don't buy the bullshit that people can't bench all the way down, it's a cop out just to use more weight/inflate ego.

Sitting in your chair right now, pull your arm/elbow back with your hand parallel to your chest and it should be pain free. If it isn't you should probably be seeing a doctor about some sort of injury.

What arrogance from "pobrecito"; the guy's training with someone physically standing there who i'm quite sure is far more experienced & knowledgeable yet this twit sits behind a keyboard informing him that he and the trainer don't understand good form. *Classic* internet misinformation.

best advice i could give you people with shoulder issues..do nothing but compound shoulder movements instead of hte laterals, etc....
Case by case, no generalizations. Compounds like benches and press behind neck are some of the worst, as are isolations like laterals. On the other hand, isolations like DB/pulley flys can be very very easy on the shoulders and work better for size than benches.

JonBoy

• Getbig I
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 08:50:42 AM »
What arrogance from "pobrecito"; the guy's training with someone physically standing there who i'm quite sure is far more experienced & knowledgeable yet this twit sits behind a keyboard informing him that he and the trainer don't understand good form. *Classic* internet misinformation.
Case by case, no generalizations. Compounds like benches and press behind neck are some of the worst, as are isolations like laterals. On the other hand, isolations like DB/pulley flys can be very very easy on the shoulders and work better for size than benches.

Absolutely agree Pumpster, it's not black and white and you can't just generalise and dimiss people's approaches/techniques- I'm sure Charlie knows what he's talking about, more than pobrecito at any rate http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?a=Clairmonte,+Charles

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 08:59:54 AM »
Jonboy

do you flare your elbows out when you bench? or do you tuck them in and bring the bar down to below your nipples?

i train a power lifter who is 6'4" and has monkey arms...not one problem yet getting him to bench correctly.

try widening your grip...or just keep trying to work around the flat BB bench. i have yet to meet someone who couldn't use full ROM on a flat bench but whatever.

good luck...

8)

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »
If youve been training for a long time you should know your body and how it responds to various movements and what works at building the muscle.  Ive known guys that are just starting out and they cant feel the flexation of their muscles.  If you can fell the movement and the overload in your muscle and using proper form than maybe touching the bar to the chest is not necessary.  At six foot I come close but never  touch the bar to my chest and I have great size and thickness at 24yrs of age.  People who are shorter can and probably should touch the bar to the chest. It all depends on your range of motion you can only develp this aspect to a certain extent.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 05:11:45 PM »
bro you just stated that you have longer arms..some people that have longer arms CAN'T TOUCH THEIR CHEST with the bar when benching PROPERLY...

don't sweat the small stuff...main thing to pick up from this thread is to find out *with some proper instruction* what kinda benching setup works best for YOUR body and training needs and just go with it baby! if it all worked the same for everyone...we'd all be looking at badass as sarcasm and alexx!
this coming from a clown who's been babying himself on the Smith Machine for years and couldn't lift a free weight barbell to save his life.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 01:25:00 AM »
Hey i found that when i BB bench it wasnt very comftorble for me, so i switched to Db's. I now bench more than i did with a barbell and its no longer uncomftorble.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JonBoy

• Getbig I
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 02:51:54 AM »
Jonboy

do you flare your elbows out when you bench? or do you tuck them in and bring the bar down to below your nipples?

i train a power lifter who is 6'4" and has monkey arms...not one problem yet getting him to bench correctly.

try widening your grip...or just keep trying to work around the flat BB bench. i have yet to meet someone who couldn't use full ROM on a flat bench but whatever.

good luck...

8)

I already use a wide grip and do keep them locked- as I say i can get it down to my chest on lower-middle weights but I feel the strain/pain on my shoulders at the higher weights, which is why I don't bring it all the way down to over-extend/pull the rotator cuff, as advised by my trainer.

I'm happy to use DBs to get the full depth, and hit the meat of the muscle (the chest) on BB by not bringing it the whole way down, hence avoiding injury/over fatigueing.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 03:26:20 AM »
yes, bring it down all the way to your chest - in a slow and controlled manner.

word

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 03:53:01 AM »
Also with Db's at the top of each rep i bring DB's in together to touch, at this point its easier to squeeze muscles. You cant do that with BB.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 03:57:38 AM »
JonBoy, are you lowing the BB to your lower chest (nipples), middle or upper chest?

Also, as you press the bar up, are you simultaeniously rotating the arm upwards, as if you're doing a front shoulder raise type movement? That may be why your shoulder is doing alot of the work. You could try keeping the bar in a straight line up and down and lowering it to your nipples, so the focus is the furthest away from your shoulders you can get.

Not expert advice, just trying to help.

tomr1976

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2006, 12:45:58 PM »
this coming from a clown who's been babying himself on the Smith Machine for years and couldn't lift a free weight barbell to save his life.

Well, at least his mommy didn't write a long letter to Ron about her internet-addicted and suicidal son who pretends he is some roided up monster when in real life he actually is 14 and weighs 120 pounds soaking wet.

Dude, this board is not for trolling, so get the fukc off.  BTW, how are you handling your parents' divorce now?  :P

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2006, 11:23:46 PM »
Half rep bench presses aren't going to do shit for your chest. You might as well be doing tricep extensions.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 03:31:13 AM »
Half rep bench presses aren't going to do shit for your chest. You might as well be doing tricep extensions.

absolutely...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 04:31:18 AM »

-Who mentioned 1/2 reps other than you? Congrats on yet another misinterpretation!  ;)

-Partials can help development big time; never heard of box squats? Blanket statements like yours make you look like a beginner.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 05:51:02 AM »
yeah partials never work...just ask the top powerlifters how little they do for them..  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 06:27:26 AM »
yeah partials never work...just ask the top powerlifters how little they do for them..
hahahahahahaahahahahahaah

You have to love some of the expert "advice" online.. ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 07:24:54 AM »
Partials and lockouts are different...IMO.

8)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2006, 06:21:18 PM »
-Who mentioned 1/2 reps other than you? Congrats on yet another misinterpretation!  ;)

-Partials can help development big time; never heard of box squats? Blanket statements like yours make you look like a beginner.

Ok "Pumpster" hahahahahahaha oh brother what a name. ::) I bet you are the type of "guy" who walks into a gym wearing assless chaps, suspenders, sunglasses, and a Judas Priest tanktop, then proceeds to bang out some half reps with 225 lb on the bench press as you flex your pecs for the local musclebear contingent, hahahahahahaha, gayer than baseball.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »
Ok "Pumpster" hahahahahahaha oh brother what a name.  I bet you are the type of "guy" who walks into a gym wearing assless chaps, suspenders, sunglasses, and a Judas Priest tanktop, then proceeds to bang out some half reps with 225 lb on the bench press as you flex your pecs for the local musclebear contingent, hahahahahahaha, gayer than baseball.
Bottom line, you don't know shit, stick to the Y board. hahahaahahahahahaahah

Now, back under that rock..