Author Topic: hammer strengh or DB's  (Read 1084 times)

westidebber

• Getbig II
hammer strengh or DB's
« on: December 07, 2006, 08:31:07 PM »
hey guys
I was ondering what your view on plate loading machine vs. DB's.. I ask  this b/c my gym goes up to the  130's. I can DB row the  130x 15 easy reps.....I sometimes do the hammer one arm row. but i like using more free weights. I can  DB shrug the  130s x 15 reps. i can do six plates  a side ammer machine. is it worth sticking with 'DB's or will i get the same  resuilt from using the hammer machine?? 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: hammer strengh or DB's
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »
Do both.  If you have to go heavier with Hammer then do it.  Weight is weight for the most part.
Squishy face retard

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:12:27 AM »
What about barbell?

BTW, the hammerstrength line is very decent equipment so make good use of it.

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »
Weight is weight for the most part.

Sometimes.  With machines and cables, sometimes the effort and load are not one-to-one, like with free weights.  Also, depending on where the fulcrum on a Hammer Strengt6h is, the effort and load ratio actually changes thoughout the movement, unlike free weights.  Something to think about.
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »
hey guys
I was ondering what your view on plate loading machine vs. DB's.. I ask  this b/c my gym goes up to the  130's. I can DB row the  130x 15 easy reps.....I sometimes do the hammer one arm row. but i like using more free weights. I can  DB shrug the  130s x 15 reps. i can do six plates  a side ammer machine. is it worth sticking with 'DB's or will i get the same  resuilt from using the hammer machine?? 
sounds like you need to start using the barbell for these movements especially the db rows, if you're legitimitely using a 130lb. bell for 15 then you need to switch to bb rows.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 08:04:05 AM »
If the machine is working the lats as well as 1-arms stay with it; sometimes machines are better. Or mix it up with:

-1-arm free weight rows using straps, using a t-bar or holding onto the very end of a BB.

-1-arm pulley rows.

-2-handed T-bar or BB rows. If you want to support your back as with 1-arm rows, do BB rows lying face down on a bench.

-Pre-exhaust the lats on machines/free weights, after which the weight used on 1-arm rows should decrease.

westidebber

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »
I do use  barbells. like i do barbell rows and finish up with DB rows.  same with  barbeell shrugs then DB shrugs.   I don't really use cable very much. b/c a. on most exerise like cable row i can do the stack pretty easy. the PTs at my gym don't want me to pin free weights on the stack. b. i'm trying to use more free weights.