Author Topic: T bar with training partner  (Read 2034 times)

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
T bar with training partner
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:40:06 AM »
My gym has a T bar machine but I dont loke the ROM and the fact that you cant get a close grip.  I want to create barbell T-Bar but dont know theway to spot it.

Any ideas???

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: T bar with training partner
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:29:14 PM »
just put the empty bar in the corner and load up the other end, have someone apply some light pressure to the empty end of the bar with their foot.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:36:57 PM »
If you dont have anyone to hold the bar down then set a DB or a couple 25's on the other end. You will only have to do this past 3-4 plates.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »
do you hook the close handles around the bar and use that to pull
Valhalla awaits.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 02:37:22 PM »
truck a barbell in the  corner.  load up the other side. grap the v handle that you would use on a cable row and up it under  so, you  pull the handles up... if you have a training partner, have him step on the empty end to keep it from comimg up on you..

everyone says that the old skool t bar rows and much better then a  t bar row (free stand or lying)

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 04:53:08 PM »
you dont need anyone to hold it for you.

Just make sure when you pull up on the V-bar handle, you pull UP and BACK.

If you can't do this, take a heavy dumbell and place the handle over the end of the barbell.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 09:00:49 PM »
Generally something's needed to hold it down. Not knowing whether it will stay down without being held is distracting. I've seen the other end fly up unexpectedly in the middle of sets.

A T-bar is still better than this because there's absolutely no instability or chance of surprise to compromise focus. What's wrong with the T-bar there, and can't you just use a triangle-attachment with it for a close grip?

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 09:13:21 PM »
i disagree, usually i dont put anything on the empty end and ive never had it come up. Maybe its just me but i feel it alot more when i use a barbell.
big or bust

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 09:20:58 PM »
Just goes to show it varies. Even when it stays in place it's distracting IMO not to be able to be able to fully pull the weight as can be done easily when the bar's firmly anchored. Using a handle actually attached to a T-bar also helps anchor and make the motion more stable.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:30:35 PM »
yes but IMO the grip is to wide, thats why i prefer the barbell.
big or bust

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 09:34:52 PM »
yes but IMO the grip is to wide, thats why i prefer the barbell.

The grip is too wide? Unfortunately some of these newer T-bars don't have the previous close-grip that used to be standard. Anything around a foot's width or less would work.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 04:29:47 AM »
Do you use a plateau to stand on?
Usually that's the biggest problem, the ROM is to small. Just remember to watch out for your back.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 06:31:51 AM »
just put the empty bar in the corner and load up the other end, have someone apply some light pressure to the empty end of the bar with their foot.

don't even really need a foot on it.  Wow, someone really couldn't figure this out huh?  i have newbies that figure that shit out.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 11:27:14 AM »
I would normally do T-bar rows after deadlifts, so just leave a couple of plates (the thick rubber ones) on the end I am not lifting.  I train on my own and this saves time looking for someone to put a foot on the end of it.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »
I would normally do T-bar rows after deadlifts, so just leave a couple of plates (the thick rubber ones) on the end I am not lifting.  I train on my own and this saves time looking for someone to put a foot on the end of it.

me too, im doing with 5 ,  sometimes 6 plates (5 20kilos plates, more or less 50 lbs) and usually in my gym we had a 'hole' in the corner where you could put the bar without problems...
now im doing in a normal corner without the hole but i didnt had any problems yet, maybe because to maintain stability i more or less 'pull' my body back so that maintain the bar on the place
!

Rockhead

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 08:31:41 AM »
Whenever I go with 5 or more plates, I usually have to have someone stand on the back.  5 plates starts to get heavy for me and it takes some of my focus worrying about the back lifting up.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 01:39:31 PM »
I´m lazy, so i like to do it without a spotter, lying on a T-Bar bench.... :-\

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »
While on the subject of T-bar style rows using a barbell braced against a corner...
A couple years ago, I believe Kamali did an article in one of the mags detailing the employment of this method, but done unilaterally. The bar was set up the same, but he was doing one handed rows with it.

I'm probably going to try doing these this week, though I can't remember ALL of the exact details.
Does anyone have any experience with this technique?

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 10:41:02 AM »
You don't need anyone to help you.

Put the bar up against the wall and load up your plates. The key to the back end not flying up is to pull up and back on the V-handle (which you should be doing anyways if you want to keep your spine in the correct position). Otherwise, if you cannot handle this, put a heavy dumbell over the free end.

AVBG

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
what's to spot?