Author Topic: How does this split look?  (Read 866 times)

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
How does this split look?
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:00:02 PM »
Workouts usually involve 20-25 total sets per body part with 4-5 different exercises.

Before it was:
Mon: Chest/Abs
Tues: Back/Calves
Weds: Arms/Abs
Thurs: Cardio
Fri: Legs/Calves
Sat: Shoulders/Abs
Sun: Off

But i'm thinking about joining the military again so I'm taking a "Better be safe than sorry" method and training before hand so if I do decide to go in, i'll be physically prepped.  My new split is:

Mon: Chest/Abs
Tues: Back/Calves
Weds: Cardio
Thurs: Legs/Calves
Fri: Cardio
Sat: Shoulders/Arms/Abs
Sun: Off

I'm going to place a stronger emphasis on the cardio after workouts.  Before it was a 1mile run @ 10mph on a 1% incline.  Now i'm starting to use the same speed and distance, but on a random hill setting so I can slowly build up speed and distance.  Then use Weds/Fri as HIIC days to improve lung capacity and overall endurance.  Goal is to go 2-2.5 miles every day and then 3-4 miles on Weds/Fri.  So, for what I want to do, how does it look?

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Re: How does this split look?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:57:24 PM »
You seem to do a lot of sets per bodypart.  Do you do the 20-25 sets for smaller muscles like biceps too?  If you do I would have thought that's definitely too much.

Apart from the very high number of sets in your workouts it looks good, personally I would drop the number of working sets for a smaller muscle group to a maximum of 10 sets, larger muscle groups a maximum of 15 sets.  And this for me would be absolute maximum.

I assume you're not trying to gain mass if you're going into the millitary?, because if you are you look to be doing too much cardio.
It hasn't helped...

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
I'm trying to gain some mass, but mostly overall strength.  And I figure, I would rather be more muscle right now since doing all this running, and if I do decide to go into BMT, I know i'll be losing some mass, but i'll still be able to do what I need to do.  My goal is to be able to exceed USMC standards since i'll be going in for the USAF.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:42:19 AM »
I'm trying to gain some mass, but mostly overall strength.  And I figure, I would rather be more muscle right now since doing all this running, and if I do decide to go into BMT, I know i'll be losing some mass, but i'll still be able to do what I need to do.  My goal is to be able to exceed USMC standards since i'll be going in for the USAF.

Better get good at pullups, pushup and situps...

Seriously, just keep eating, resting and lifting.  The split lokos fine, just realize that you will lose a lot in the military.

If you're really serious I'd make sure you have your cardio in check before you go into basic training.  You don't have to start now, maybe a few months prior, but make that a main focus so it won't be as grueling.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »
Better get good at pullups, pushup and situps...

Seriously, just keep eating, resting and lifting.  The split lokos fine, just realize that you will lose a lot in the military.

If you're really serious I'd make sure you have your cardio in check before you go into basic training.  You don't have to start now, maybe a few months prior, but make that a main focus so it won't be as grueling.

Thanks for the input, and I figured i'm going to lose a lot due to how much they run, which is why I would prefer to bulk up a bit so what I do lose, i'll still feel fine with.  And my cardio is a weak point for me, and the mentality i'm using to also help prep is to do all the stuff I hate when I don't want to do it.  IE running after i've lifted since my body just wants to shut down.  I'm also going to start doing pushups and situps at random times during the day to help improve overall performance.  I'm also thinking about changing up my split to have Chest/Bis and Back/Tris and use 1 day as a full body split so I can focus on overall body balance and explosiveness.  Do you guys think that would fare well in the long run?