Author Topic: How much weight when you increase your squat  (Read 1718 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
How much weight when you increase your squat
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
I'm at my goal for squats.I can get a solid 8 to 10 reps.
now I wanna go for more weight,something I can get 4 to 6 reps till my strengh builds up to 8 to 10.how much do you guys go up,10lbs-20lbs or higher?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: How much weight when you increase your squat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »
now I wanna go for more weight,something I can get 4 to 6 reps till my strengh builds up to 8 to 10.how much do you guys go up,10lbs-20lbs or higher?

30-50lbs is a typical jump. Normally when you think about it you're really splitting that in half by two legs so it's not THAT big of a deal. It's just getting your CNS and system used to suppoting that extra weight, once you get out of your own way and get your head right, you should be able to make that kinda jump and handle it for 4-6 reps no problem. It's up to you though..if you're comfortable wiht smaller jumps then it's best to stick with that kinda increment increase.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
depends on how much you squat.  if you can do 10 solid ass to grass reps with 225, then try 315 on your next set.  from my experience increments of 10 or 20 pounds are a waste of time and energy.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
2-3% which comes down to 5-10 lbs, yup Im a genius  ;D
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:18:53 PM »
depends on how much you squat.  if you can do 10 solid ass to grass reps with 225, then try 315 on your next set.  from my experience increments of 10 or 20 pounds are a waste of time and energy.
He's not talking about warming upto the main set, maybe read the thread before posting next time  ;)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »
30-50lbs is a typical jump. Normally when you think about it you're really splitting that in half by two legs so it's not THAT big of a deal. It's just getting your CNS and system used to suppoting that extra weight, once you get out of your own way and get your head right, you should be able to make that kinda jump and handle it for 4-6 reps no problem. It's up to you though..if you're comfortable wiht smaller jumps then it's best to stick with that kinda increment increase.
LOL, dude only you can do that shit around here, normal people jump in increments of 5-10 lbs.

My advice to the dude is to go up no more than 5-10 lbs from workout to workout- when in doubt, add less. Steady progression works out much better than larger jumps, this is from personal experience also.
follow the arrows

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »
5 lbs each jump.  It works for 20 rep squats and 5x5 so I think it can be transferred to other rep ranges.  If your max at 10 reps is 315, got to 320 until you reach 8-10.  Because the increase is so small, you can trick your body to do what your mind knows you can do.  5 added pounds on leg exercises isn't much.  It's essentially a mind fcuk. 
Squishy face retard

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:59:52 PM »
funny, everyone else says 5-10lbs, but I agree with wicked, only on legs, I like to make big jumps on legs, it is extremely intense and difficult, but it makes you feel good at the end of the day knowing you accomplished something.

5-10lbs on a leg exercise, to me, just doesn't seem like enough to make a difference :-\
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:02:59 PM »
funny, everyone else says 5-10lbs, but I agree with wicked, only on legs, I like to make big jumps on legs, it is extremely intense and difficult, but it makes you feel good at the end of the day knowing you accomplished something.

5-10lbs on a leg exercise, to me, just doesn't seem like enough to make a difference :-\
5-10 lbs if u plan to increase every week, faster way to load up the bar over a period of time = faster way to grow.
follow the arrows

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »
5-10 lbs if u plan to increase every week, faster way to load up the bar over a period of time = faster way to grow.
I don't increase every week, I work up 3-4 sets of 10, when I get that I bump up 30-50lbs and start over. Whatever works.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 08:17:48 PM »
I don't increase every week, I work up 3-4 sets of 10, when I get that I bump up 30-50lbs and start over. Whatever works.
yup.
follow the arrows

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 06:44:40 AM »

5-10kg  (can be more, even 20kg). Just add alittle weight per session...

dont try to rush things, as that could fuck up your form.

NATIVE ONE

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 05:01:28 AM »
He wants to go from 10 reps to 4??!! I would guess 30-50 lbs. But I would suggest to up your weight by 5-10 lbs. every week instead of that.
3 REPS....I'M DONE!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 05:45:51 AM »

I work with the same weight til I get 15 reps or more with it then jump up. Which means when I make that jump, I've been working with a particular weight for almost 2 months to get there. My last jump was from 465 to 500 and that was enough that my first set wasn't very nice but it makes me push myself to get up to 15reps again. Tiny ass jumps in weight seem like a waste of time on squats unless you're maxing.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 05:53:41 AM »
I work with the same weight til I get 15 reps or more with it then jump up. Which means when I make that jump, I've been working with a particular weight for almost 2 months to get there. My last jump was from 465 to 500 and that was enough that my first set wasn't very nice but it makes me push myself to get up to 15reps again. Tiny ass jumps in weight seem like a waste of time on squats unless you're maxing.

well, its all about progression with good form. how you do it is secondary......

but that being said...the way you do it, increasing the reps, is in my opinion more difficult (in general) than adding small amounts of weight.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 06:04:23 AM »
Thanks guys.I usually increase like Chaos and wicked suggested but I like the other ideas suggested.