Author Topic: deadlifts for back development?  (Read 7182 times)

ASJChaotic

deadlifts for back development?
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »
deadlifts.....for erector spinae and lower back or for THICKNESS of all of back in general?
including the
rhomboids, trapezius and latissimus dorsi ?
deadlift expertswhat do you think?

The Coach

Re: deadlifts for back development?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
deadlifts.....for erector spinae and lower back or for THICKNESS of all of back in general?
including the
rhomboids, trapezius and latissimus dorsi ?
deadlift expertswhat do you think?

Trap bar instead of a conventional Olympic bar.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:22:25 PM »
deadlifts are great for back development and development for other parts of your body too. all around great exercise. there is nothing better and a more functional movement for your body than picking dead weight off the floor(with good form of course). Awesome for thickness, and for growth!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:22:42 PM »
All of the above that AXA-tic questioned. And more, including thegrip, hips/butt, legs/hams and pretty much down to the feet. It is a superior full body compound exercise. One does not have to start DL's off the floor. Take them from around the knee (a little above a little below), depending on the body mechanics of the lifter, for favorable benefits. If your into PL'ing than  DL's have to be from the floor position. But partial rep's ( knee area) also help. Even 3 to 4 inch partial lifts assist greatly with power and size. Adding shrugs at the finish standing position gives even more development.

With the DL, you are holding the bar stable and in position while the hips/butt legs, etc do the actual lifting. Looking at it closely, notice that there is a push off the floor by the lower body, not a pull. If doing a SLDL (a outstanding exercise) than more of a pull is involved. All in all, I prefer the SLDL...just a personal view.

The regular DL is not for everyone. But there are many versions of DL'ing suited for different body types. Main hazard in the regular DL is leaning too far forward to avoid hitting the knees during a exercise lift. Leaning too far forward places too much tension and strain on the lower back.  As The Coach suggest, a trap/shrug bar works well because, for the most part, the knees are taken out of the line of the lift. Heavier DB's could also be used for a period.

There is also special equipment like the devices used when training for the Farmers Walk, with handles on them. Extra plates can be added to the basic weight of this equipment. Men, in the past, have constructed home made equipment from 4X6's ( or what ever) with cross member braces. Drill some holes and add any form of handles you wish (large "U" bolts may work here). May not look like it but you now have a very functional piece of DL'ing equipment. Just step inside the frame, grap the handles and lift. Good Luck.
F

ASJChaotic

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »
All of the above that AXA-tic questioned. And more, including thegrip, hips/butt, legs/hams and pretty much down to the feet. It is a superior full body compound exercise. One does not have to start DL's off the floor. Take them from around the knee (a little above a little below), depending on the body mechanics of the lifter, for favorable benefits. If your into PL'ing than  DL's have to be from the floor position. But partial rep's ( knee area) also help. Even 3 to 4 inch partial lifts assist greatly with power and size. Adding shrugs at the finish standing position gives even more development.

With the DL, you are holding the bar stable and in position while the hips/butt legs, etc do the actual lifting. Looking at it closely, notice that there is a push off the floor by the lower body, not a pull. If doing a SLDL (a outstanding exercise) than more of a pull is involved. All in all, I prefer the SLDL...just a personal view.

The regular DL is not for everyone. But there are many versions of DL'ing suited for different body types. Main hazard in the regular DL is leaning too far forward to avoid hitting the knees during a exercise lift. Leaning too far forward places too much tension and strain on the lower back.  As The Coach suggest, a trap/shrug bar works well because, for the most part, the knees are taken out of the line of the lift. Heavier DB's could also be used for a period.

There is also special equipment like the devices used when training for the Farmers Walk, with handles on them. Extra plates can be added to the basic weight of this equipment. Men, in the past, have constructed home made equipment from 4X6's ( or what ever) with cross member braces. Drill some holes and add any form of handles you wish (large "U" bolts may work here). May not look like it but you now have a very functional piece of DL'ing equipment. Just step inside the frame, grap the handles and lift. Good Luck.
and people said all this site was useful for was getting insulted  ;D
people actually give good advice on the training board  8)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »
In  order to get the full benefit of the  movement, as well  as work the posterior head of the deltoid, be sure to lift ACTUAL dead bodies.

Thank you, that is all.
G

BAZZERKER

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
personally i like to pull the weight off the rack . i put the pin about two feet from the floor. works great for traps and you can do heavier weights.
I

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:04:52 PM »
personally i like to pull the weight off the rack . i put the pin about two feet from the floor. works great for traps and you can do heavier weights.
Above or below your knees?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »

Rack pulls

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
yea personally i like rack pulls better than deads.

but i think its cos i can use more weight haha :)

The Coach

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »
yea personally i like rack pulls better than deads.

but i think its cos i can use more weight haha :)

Like I said, I don't do conventional deads. Instead I will use a trap bar. Develops more strength and power in the posterior chain and upper back.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
With regards to Chaos question; Have to find your own correct pin position. But probably if knees are no problem, than a little below the knee cap. If a problem, than have the bar (on the pins) touching the top of the knee caps at the start of the exercise. That works the best for me. But than again, you have to be the judge as to where the pins are. Going to use a lot more weight from that position.

Thing about a Power Rack is that the weak spots of any lift can be focused upon for a better complete lift. Some guy's will start from the floor and set the stop pins about upper shin bone high. Builds starting power if weak off the platform. Can apply to a weak mid to top position DL also. Getting the weak spots stronger works very well indeed with the bench also. Can get the body adjusted to handling some very hefty poundage with these forms of partials. That way all three phases of a exercise can be worked to their full potential. Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
With regards to Chaos question; Have to find your own correct pin position. But probably if knees are no problem, than a little below the knee cap. If a problem, than have the bar (on the pins) touching the top of the knee caps at the start of the exercise. That works the best for me. But than again, you have to be the judge as to where the pins are. Going to use a lot more weight from that position.

Thing about a Power Rack is that the weak spots of any lift can be focused upon for a better complete lift. Some guy's will start from the floor and set the stop pins about upper shin bone high. Builds starting power if weak off the platform. Can apply to a weak mid to top position DL also. Getting the weak spots stronger works very well indeed with the bench also. Can get the body adjusted to handling some very hefty poundage with these forms of partials. That way all three phases of a exercise can be worked to their full potential. Good Luck.
I know what works for me, I was asking BAZZ where he pulled from. ;D

I like just below the knees, rarely do them though, I prefer deads from the ground.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
Actually the response about rack DL's was not for Chaos. More of a general observation, on the question, for some of the other guy's reading this. Most of my post are just  general comments for anyone who might be interested. No big deal. Good Luck.
F

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 08:36:35 AM »

Why on earth would you recommend that?

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 09:35:20 AM »
Every one to there own, but I found them more of a power building movement and did lots of tripples, doubles or singles just for that.
That with power cleans cleans was great for Kuzushi (Breaking of your oponents balance)

But I never found deads a great movement for mass no matter the rep range.
I got more out of rows at different angles for back delevelopement.

Argon Coagulator

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
In  order to get the full benefit of the  movement, as well  as work the posterior head of the deltoid, be sure to lift ACTUAL dead bodies.

Thank you, that is all.

weird..

RC Money

• Getbig III
  • I don't knock on doors...I knock doors down.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 08:58:30 AM »
I think deads are great for neck to ass back thickness and overall strength, its the most basic lift and real world applicable.

I just do them off the floor. I dont like all the extra stuff like straps belts off the rack or special bars.

The Coach

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
Why on earth would you recommend that?

You've never used a trap bar have you?

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 01:00:56 AM »
I have chronic lower back pain, and it flares up when i do deads from the ground.  Though id like to keep deadlifts in my training, do you think rack pulls would help avoid some of the lower back pain from pulling off the ground?

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 02:26:05 AM »
I have. They are fantastic for deads. Completely different feel.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 03:10:28 AM »
I have chronic lower back pain, and it flares up when i do deads from the ground.  Though id like to keep deadlifts in my training, do you think rack pulls would help avoid some of the lower back pain from pulling off the ground?

Simply put, the more ROM your lower back goes through, the more painful it will be. Rack deads put you through less ROM, so there is your answer. Whether it's still painful is for you to decide by trying it out.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 07:12:51 AM »

Please explain why lifing with a trap bar is better.

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 08:51:36 AM »
Simply put, the more ROM your lower back goes through, the more painful it will be. Rack deads put you through less ROM, so there is your answer. Whether it's still painful is for you to decide by trying it out.
For sure bro, I'm gonna give them a try to see if they are effective for me while reducing the irritation.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

my brother has that bar @ his home gym. Cost $160. He really likes it