Author Topic: deadlifts for back development?  (Read 7183 times)

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: deadlifts for back development?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
Please explain why lifing with a trap bar is better.

Probably because the weight is more neutrally aligned with your body being at the sides rather than the front which does offer more potential to lean forward and incur injury.

A trap bar permits a more neutral and natural stance.

I was lucky enough to have a gym for 8 mths where one was and used it to achieve great results - i actually performed high reps on leg day with it and my development EXPLODED.

That being said standard deads are great and staple in my routine but a trap bar is safer and more natural.

Doublemonk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 12:57:47 PM »
Probably because the weight is more neutrally aligned with your body being at the sides rather than the front which does offer more potential to lean forward and incur injury.

A trap bar permits a more neutral and natural stance.

I was lucky enough to have a gym for 8 mths where one was and used it to achieve great results - i actually performed high reps on leg day with it and my development EXPLODED.

That being said standard deads are great and staple in my routine but a trap bar is safer and more natural.

Yeah but that is exactly why deadlifts with the normal bar are better for back development than trap bar deadlifts.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 11:48:38 PM »
Yeah but that is exactly why deadlifts with the normal bar are better for back development than trap bar deadlifts.

That's what I was asking but apparently the "guru's" don't have an answer. :D

AVBG

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »
off the floor. Can't be beat 4 back thickness.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »
deadlifts are great for posture. if i slack off and dont do dead's for a couple weeks i end up walking around in a slouch. gotta keep the inner/lower back muscles strong enough to stand up correctly with good posture. much more atrtractive look than slouching. more confident looking.

as for actual back development, not strength,  personally i am not sure i get to much out of deadlfts that i cant get somewhere else.

BUT

deadlifts are one of the few movements for back that dont involve the biceps, so i do find them useful as sort of a pre exhaust for moVements like pullups/pulldowns which normally might put alot of strain on the biceps. getting blood in the lats without getting blood in the biceps helps me to better isolate the lats.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »

The only difference is spine angle and points of leverage.

Neither will provided better gains, it's the angle of the spine that can lead to injury(rounding), thus the trap bar puts you in a better leverage position and less chance for injury.

Kinesiology 101

8)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
Also for cosmetic purposes only use a double overhand grip with deadlifts. It'll hit ur back much better.

You wont be able to use halfway as much weight, but you'll feel it in the back more :)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 11:16:22 AM »
Also for cosmetic purposes only use a double overhand grip with deadlifts. It'll hit ur back much better.

You wont be able to use halfway as much weight, but you'll feel it in the back more :)

I concur.

It will also help prevent bicep tears when pulling heavy.

Obviously with a double overhand grip you will use less weight at first if you are used to a over/under grip, but for bodybuilding it shouldn't matter too much.

8)

Doublemonk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:25 AM »
The only difference is spine angle and points of leverage.

Neither will provided better gains, it's the angle of the spine that can lead to injury(rounding), thus the trap bar puts you in a better leverage position and less chance for injury.

Kinesiology 101

8)
What do you mean by "only". Different spine angle an points of leverage make a big difference. If it would not make a difference I could do upright rows and grow big lats. Because it pretty much the same movement as bentover rows, only the spine angle and the points of leverage are different.
And the angle of the spine can lead to injury. So you better flex those muscles when deadlifting conventional--->greater muscle stimulus than with trap bar.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
deadlifts.....for erector spinae and lower back or for THICKNESS of all of back in general?
including the
rhomboids, trapezius and latissimus dorsi ?
deadlift expertswhat do you think?

I think deadlifts are awesome for back development.

But I recently came across a study that basically claimed that it's only the eccentric part of the excersise that promotes hypertrophy.

And most of us drops the weight fairly quick on the deadlift.

So I actually has three tips for you.

1. Drop the belt (This will prevent you from going overboard with weight)

2. Stick with slightly higher reps, 6-10 reps

3. Control the downward phase, although not overly so (I'm not talking superslow guild here).

This should give you a little more time doing the eccentric phase of the deadlift, which the study I looked at suggested was the only phase that created hypertrophy.
As empty as paradise

ASJChaotic

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »

But I recently came across a study that basically claimed that it's only the eccentric part of the excersise that promotes hypertrophy.

3. Control the downward phase, although not overly so (I'm not talking superslow guild here).

This should give you a little more time doing the eccentric phase of the deadlift, which the study I looked at suggested was the only phase that created hypertrophy.

I never do shrugs or anything and when I used to do deadlifts I really felt it in my traps
and next day they would be sore
so I'll use it for traps and spine once I start training again in a couple of weeks

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 10:18:43 PM »

Can you post that study, please?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 01:22:58 AM »

Sounds like an interesting study.

I do most of those points you stated, so thats good.

I love deads, but as you said, 6-10 is a good rep range. I was going a bit lower than that and i've since changed to slightly higher reps and i'm glad i did.
No doubt about it...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »

of course eccentric is gonna play a part in hypertophy this is old news, recruits different motor units or soemthing like that, also stronger in the eccentric means once you reahc concentric failure you can do assisted eccentric...  the lats are no different than any other muscle they will respond to both concentric and ecentric just like everymuscle

tinman15

• Getbig I
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »
I didn't read the other posts so this might of already been said, but nothing builds the upper back stronger and thicker than deadlifts.  If you look at the upper back development of power lifting deadlifters you'll see what i mean.  When you bring the bar up from the floor, the muscles that directly keep the bar from drifting forward or scraping your shins ( although deads should be shin scrapers) is the upper back musculature.  Also, from the floor your scapula  ( shoulder blades ) should be spread a little and at the top of the deadlift your scapula should be back and tucked; this movement also works the upper back.  Snatch grip deads work the upper back even better.  And a deadlift variation which works mostly just the upper back would be snatch grip rack pulls. 

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »
Dead lifts from the rack are unbeatable. You can use a lot more weight then typical dead-lifts and if you squeeze at the top you back will really grow!

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
Dead lifts from the rack are unbeatable. You can use a lot more weight then typical dead-lifts and if you squeeze at the top you back will really grow!
Epic posting the same comment on 4 different threads

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »
First it was not the same post on each thread and second deads from the rack fucking work!