Author Topic: Volume training  (Read 4410 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Volume training
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 05:43:55 AM »
If using a 5 x 5 routine, or just to build power in a single exercise,I think it`s best to start a bit below maximum poundages (quite a bit actually),then once you can complete all 5 sets of 5 reps with a certain weight,add just a 2 1/2 pound plate to each side at the next workout, and go for it again..............repea t,again adding weight when all 5 sets of 5 reps are met.

Small increments, and starting out lighter at the beginning, will see you add quite a bit of weight to an exercise over time.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »
If using a 5 x 5 routine, or just to build power in a single exercise,I think it`s best to start a bit below maximum poundages (quite a bit actually),then once you can complete all 5 sets of 5 reps with a certain weight,add just a 2 1/2 pound plate to each side at the next workout, and go for it again..............repea t,again adding weight when all 5 sets of 5 reps are met.

Small increments, and starting out lighter at the beginning, will see you add quite a bit of weight to an exercise over time.

this is cool Wes..I'll try it

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 08:04:02 AM »
Wes gives us the original idea of the progressive overload system. Which for almost a century has give thousands of men great gains in size and power. The adding of a very small amount of weight. when the 5X5 goal is met, is a key factor. Another key factor is that all reps are under control and not any one rep (or set) taken to momentary failure. If failure is allowed, than the trainee will reach a point of diminishing returns sooner or later. Reaching sticking point of less or no progress, from workout to workout. The point being, not to rush the weight load on the bar, but become adjusted to the small increments. Which should be on a weekly bases, hopefully.

Thanks again to Wes, hopefully most here will understand the importance of the true 5X5 system. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »
great advice Wes  :)  building up the weight slowly will yield results and on Bench press i did this myself and worked up to a fair weight and when i returned to Dips for my chest i had to weight them so i was a lot stronger...Progression !!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »

X2.....Great post!