Author Topic: Anyone else here like weighted pullups?  (Read 10485 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone else here like weighted pullups?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
I was doing them weightened couple months ago...felt like my whole back was stretching out. cool..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »
Pull downs work great but the majority do this lean back jerk.  I see guys using 50lbs over body weight when they can't do bodyweight pull ups. Keeping your back upright will limit the amount of weight you use and put it all into your lats.

Pull ups are a great exercise. Even if it's done with bad form which I don't recommend.  I like to dead hang and pull up until the bar brushes the upper chest. Most don't go all the way down or all the way up. It's comical watching guys shoot their chin up toward the bar.  What's with those kipping pull ups that cross fit pushes.  I'm sure they have a benefit but don't claim you can do 25 pull ups when you are kipping all of those reps.

Tiny Coq

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
Id say lower the weight and do the exercise properly and then comment if you like it or not. Currently that is too much weight and all reps apart from the first one, you are pulling elbows in, meaning focus comes off target area.

Leave the ego at the door son.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
Id say lower the weight and do the exercise properly and then comment if you like it or not. Currently that is too much weight and all reps apart from the first one, you are pulling elbows in, meaning focus comes off target area.

Leave the ego at the door son.

Well let's see , every single rep is a full ROM with the chin clearing at least 4" over the bar. So no I wouldn't say the weight is too heavy when every rep is full ROM and controlled.

When it comes to hitting the target area (which would be the lats ), how the hell can I get pump and soreness in the lats if I am not hitting the target area.

Also, what muscle do you think is the main mover during those reps if I am not pulling with my lats, biceps? 

chess315

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »
good luck doing wide grip weighted pulls up when you get heavy. Im starting to think heavy chins  by bodyweight or added are just not very good on your tendons from personal experience and others views. A neutral grip or underhand grip is a better heavy movement then wide grip bodybuidling chins. I have no neutral grip on the powerrack in my moms basement :( lol

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:21 AM »
good luck doing wide grip weighted pulls up when you get heavy. Im starting to think heavy chins  by bodyweight or added are just not very good on your tendons from personal experience and others views. A neutral grip or underhand grip is a better heavy movement then wide grip bodybuidling chins. I have no neutral grip on the powerrack in my moms basement :( lol

i picked up 2 independent handles for $40 that I can hook to my rack and use any grip I like

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »
i love this exercise too . i only use different grips every time i hang the bar

MKD

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
I also like weighted pull-ups-- typically do four sets of 8 reps with 55lb weight.  Only difference is that I use a normal chain belt but use dumbbells instead of plates.  It is much less unwieldy and easier to increase weight.
strong mind, strong body