Author Topic: The 5x5 wave sweeping the net....  (Read 13635 times)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: The 5x5 wave sweeping the net....
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2006, 11:56:01 AM »
Bud...I'm trying to help you here. After watching TrainSpotting  (with sub-titles shown here) a while back I do understand there can be a commucation barrier between the Scottish and American English dialects. So let me explain the workout program again.

Just do BB presses, dips, BB rows & Hi-pulls. No extra calf or forearm work and no sissy curls. Forget about what you learned before, just do these after the squats & pullovers for now. Good Luck.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2006, 02:25:35 PM »
Bud...I'm trying to help you here. After watching TrainSpotting  (with sub-titles shown here) a while back I do understand there can be a commucation barrier between the Scottish and American English dialects.
LOL  ;D

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2006, 06:55:10 AM »
Well JPM, i have to say im not sure if i knew wat i was getting into lol.
Did sesion tuesday and today (got another on sat), man squats r hard, just managed it on tue, upped it by 2 1/1 kg About 6 lbs) for todays,didnt think i was gonna,needed sum big breathes but i did it. Have to say sat shouldnt be fun lol. I think i might recruit spotter for saturday just to make sure i dont get stuck as il be going for it hard again.

You know who ever made this routine up/gave it to you,must like pain, lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2006, 08:45:46 AM »
I believe a couple of very, very old timers (early 1900's I believe) developed this high rep squat method. Either Mr Ellis or a Mr Berry, not sure which, wrote an article about it in a physical culture magazine to start it off. The original verson had the trainee use only bwt  (a 100lb BB was popular also) on the bar and nothing more. Never advancing or adding on extra weight. This concept, with the 3 or more breaths between reps, was to expand the rib box, not so much for gaining muscle size. With bwt only on the bar a lot of guy's worked up to 30,40,50 reps or more. There was an old theory than that the more oxygen forced into the body the more the body would grow. The core of the idea was more oxygen taken in by the muscle cells (blood, chemicals produced by the body, etc also) the larger the tissue would grow.  Good Luck.

Side Bar: If any heavy squater's out there would like to experiment with just bwt squats for 20 reps or so than please pass the results alone to us here. That would be 3 deep breaths (no shallow one's...deep) at the start and between each rep. Thank you.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2006, 01:57:35 AM »
Well who ever made it up, they could work out anyway!

I have found that muscles (obviously) are sore day after workout, so i am having to stretch legs alot so that after tuesdays workout they are ready for thursday, and now today (friday) i will b stretching them alot to try and work out some soreness etc so they are ok for tommorows workout.
DO u usually find alot of HAmstring/quad stiffness is expected??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2006, 07:19:44 AM »
Well who ever made it up, they could work out anyway!

I have found that muscles (obviously) are sore day after workout, so i am having to stretch legs alot so that after tuesdays workout they are ready for thursday, and now today (friday) i will b stretching them alot to try and work out some soreness etc so they are ok for tommorows workout.
DO u usually find alot of HAmstring/quad stiffness is expected??

davie

soreness is always expected... but if you do some light cardio for 10-20 minutes and then stretch you will lessen it.... but always stretch when warm

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2006, 07:27:20 AM »
unless your preparing for a competition 5x5 won't help you buid muscle
just help you increase your strength a little in some lifts like bench and squat
but it's going to hurt your overall stamina

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2006, 07:55:46 AM »
unless your preparing for a competition 5x5 won't help you buid muscle
just help you increase your strength a little in some lifts like bench and squat
but it's going to hurt your overall stamina

other than your opinion... do you have any data to back up your dubious statements?

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2006, 02:26:06 PM »
quoting jay cutler "putting on muscle mass by doing high weights with low reps is bullshit"
"it's just going to burn up your joints.you want to stay in the eight to-10 range. it's the blood volume in the muscle that gets the muscle fibers to contract.

makes perfect sense to me.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2006, 03:14:24 PM »
quoting jay cutler "putting on muscle mass by doing high weights with low reps is bullshit"
"it's just going to burn up your joints.you want to stay in the eight to-10 range. it's the blood volume in the muscle that gets the muscle fibers to contract.

makes perfect sense to me.

yup, that and tons of roids, slin and GH works for big Jay .... face it, he'll be dead before he's 50...

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2006, 04:22:14 PM »
so wooo your saying i should take your advice and not the advice from a bodybuilding champion?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »
so wooo your saying i should take your advice and not the advice from a bodybuilding champion?

take whatever advice you want... no one cares... but understand cutler's context....  what he does works for a man with his bodytype, his genetics and his budget for gear...

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2006, 05:45:43 PM »
and that's your opinion "opinions are like assholes everyone gots one i just like jay cutler's opinion more

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2006, 05:48:47 PM »
and that's your opinion "opinions are like assholes everyone gots one i just like jay cutler's opinion more

it goes "opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, AND THEY ALL STINK"....   

"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, drink deep or taste not of a Pyrenean spring..."

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
only his doesn't smell as bad and has more credibility

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
As long as you eat lots of good food and sleep plenty, you will be fine.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

stakeknife

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
I also use a variety of this as it was explained to me. There are literaly thousands of variations of the 5x5

5x5 for all compound exercises, but also 2x8 isolation moves with a max of 2 moves per muscle group per day
Four days a week isolating muscles
day 1 chest
day 3 back/shoulder
day 5 bi's/tris
day 6 legs

For example:
5x5 deadlift
5x5 military press
2x8 chins
2x8 rows
2x8 db press
2x8 lateral raise

That day is a bitch. IMO the rest of the days are great because you can get in and out in 30mins. FWIW

Burt Reynolds

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2006, 06:16:11 PM »
Is this the routine (think u might have typed it up before) or something similar??

Monday
Squats 4x8   
Press behind neck 5x5         
Bentrows 5x5                     
Bench Press 3x5,3x3, 2x8
Incline DB Press 2x20         
Incline Situps 1xmax

Wednesday
Squats 5x5                         
Good Mornings 4x10           
Incline Press 5x5   
Lateral raises 4x8             
Curls 2x20   
Dips 2x20
Hanging Leg Raises 1xmax

Friday
Squats 3x5, 3x3, 1x8
Deadlifts 3x4
Rear lat raises 3x6
Shrugs 3x8
Bench Press 4x8, 1x2
Close Grip Press 3x6
Curls 2x20
LTE's
Incline Situps 1xmax 

Question? So do you keep the weight the same for the entire week?

Example: Squat Mon. 4x8-405, Wed. 5x5 405, Fri. 3x5-405, 3x3-405 2x8-backoff, or do you change the weight for each day?

Ahmster

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2006, 06:34:11 PM »
Is this the routine (think u might have typed it up before) or something similar??

Monday
Squats 4x8   
Press behind neck 5x5         
Bentrows 5x5                     
Bench Press 3x5,3x3, 2x8
Incline DB Press 2x20         
Incline Situps 1xmax

Wednesday
Squats 5x5                         
Good Mornings 4x10           
Incline Press 5x5   
Lateral raises 4x8             
Curls 2x20   
Dips 2x20
Hanging Leg Raises 1xmax

Friday
Squats 3x5, 3x3, 1x8
Deadlifts 3x4
Rear lat raises 3x6
Shrugs 3x8
Bench Press 4x8, 1x2
Close Grip Press 3x6
Curls 2x20
LTE's
Incline Situps 1xmax 

Question? So do you keep the weight the same for the entire week?

Example: Squat Mon. 4x8-405, Wed. 5x5 405, Fri. 3x5-405, 3x3-405 2x8-backoff, or do you change the weight for each day?

No. You max out on the last set Monday and Friday and Wednesday you do 50lbs less than your Monday weight, but only the Squat has a light day. The Incline Press is naturally lighter than the Bench so you are maxing out on Wednesday with it.  So it would look like this:

Mon. 325lbs.x8 Medium Day
Wed. 275lbs.x5 Light Day
Fri. 405lbs.x3  Heavy Day

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2006, 01:58:42 AM »
I implement 5 x 5 in my workouts. Initially i just applied it to incline bench as this was the area i wanted to see progress the most in. Then i applied it elsewhere - squats, chins, dumbell shoulder presses, you name it.

Its great to use alongside higher rep work. 5 aint to low a range like 3 which really takes it out on the joints. I use it typically at the beginning of a workout before the higher rep stuff.

Basically once i hit 6-7 reps on the fifth set i increase the weight by 5 lbs. Simple, slow but unrelenting progress at the moment.

Like all routines though it won't last forever.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2006, 04:34:07 AM »
Generally speaking 5 reps is low on the scale for BB purposes and higher in terms of joint stress. Better for a combo of power and some size for sports applications.

On the other hand, if 5 sets are done with no more than a minute rest in between it becomes another version of German Volume Training worth trying.

Try 5 x 5 for a few weeks or months, then try 6 x 6, and 8 x 8, keep what works. Or, as Leo Costa did, cycle between those ranges from one workout to the next.

As far as programs that avoid direct arm or delt exercise, again that's fine for sports applications but for BB purposes also include some direct work. Even just a few sets.

latrell

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
Generally speaking 5 reps is low on the scale for BB purposes and higher in terms of joint stress. Better for a combo of power and some size for sports applications.

On the other hand, if 5 sets are done with no more than a minute rest in between it becomes another version of German Volume Training worth trying.

Try 5 x 5 for a few weeks or months, then try 6 x 6, and 8 x 8, keep what works. Or, as Leo Costa did, cycle between those ranges from one workout to the next.

As far as programs that avoid direct arm or delt exercise, again that's fine for sports applications but for BB purposes also include some direct work. Even just a few sets.

your not contributing with posts like that.