Author Topic: 100s  (Read 24946 times)

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
100s
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
anyone ever remember articles about 100s? using light weight and performing one hundred reps? i know Sergio and Nubret were high rep trainers. I heard Roy Callendar was too and a few others.  Anyone here have any experience with it. I'm looking to try something new. Age is preventing me from lifting heavy or even moderate for that matter.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: 100s
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
One of the two versions I remember of 100's was that the 100 rep's were broken down to usually four parts. That  being four sets of 25 reps for four sets. But with little rest between sets. Like 60 or 90 seconds.

The other, more brutal version, was that the 100 reps were accomplished in the same long set. You did not leave the bench (for example) until those 100 rep's were all done.  Or when squatting, the bar remained on your shoulders at all times and you stayed in place.  Those long sets go last maybe 5 minutes plus minutes until 100 was reached.

GVT (10X10) is another form of 100's. 60 to 90 seconds between sets.

It's not how many sets you do, it's the amount of reps done in any given training session. Sets just break the reps up so they can be more workable and handled better.

Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
I always found high reps brutal and of course I can't handle heavy weights using high reps. Then again a lot of the pros use high reps and moderate weighs.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:22:14 AM »
There are lots of theories behind the benefits of lighter-weight/higher-rep training. Some people maintain that the increased TUT is the factor, while others credit activation of Type I fibers that are often neglected with lower rep work.

Regardless, higher-rep resistance training has certainly proven beneficial to many lifters in terms of hypertrophy effect, and would likely benefit most trainers - particularly if they've not incorporated this method in a while (or ever).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
I can easily say that my most productive and quicker gains, in strength and true muscle mass, has been through higher reps (20+) and with heavier weights. Though "heavy" can be relative to each of us.

20+ rep squats, cleans, DL's, BB Hack squats, pullovers and press, etc. All involving the larger muscle groups. Along with breathing squats, the clean and jerk was my all time ball buster. Also a key to developing stamina (strength plus endurance) is raised to a much higher level.

Partial ROM training, with rep's from 15 to 25+ worked extremely well for me. You are lifting from your strongest position in a lift. With the bench, the strongest position is the 4 to 6 inch lock out range. With this strongest zone, rather than doing 300 (for example) of 3 reps, you might be getting handling 50-60 lbs for those 3 reps.  Also used the Rest-Pause method with the partial rep training from time to time. Also worked extremely well for me and the others I trained with.

Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
I can easily say that my most productive and quicker gains, in strength and true muscle mass, has been through higher reps (20+) and with heavier weights. Though "heavy" can be relative to each of us.

20+ rep squats, cleans, DL's, BB Hack squats, pullovers and press, etc. All involving the larger muscle groups. Along with breathing squats, the clean and jerk was my all time ball buster. Also a key to developing stamina (strength plus endurance) is raised to a much higher level.

Partial ROM training, with rep's from 15 to 25+ worked extremely well for me. You are lifting from your strongest position in a lift. With the bench, the strongest position is the 4 to 6 inch lock out range. With this strongest zone, rather than doing 300 (for example) of 3 reps, you might be getting handling 50-60 lbs for those 3 reps.  Also used the Rest-Pause method with the partial rep training from time to time. Also worked extremely well for me and the others I trained with.

Good Luck.

Stan Efferding likes telling the story of when he first hooked up with Flex Wheeler, who taught him the ABC's of bodybuilding. Stan admitted that he'd always thought one should lift very heavy weights like you'd often see pro's doing on videos back then.

He was very surprised to see the "real work" once he got his backstage pass from Flex. He said Wheeler and many other pro's trained surprisingly light, with strict form, lots of volume, and short rests. That was how Flex started training Stan, and sure enough, Efferding turned pro at his next show.

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 11:57:59 AM »
This was a Rory Leidelmeyer thing that he used and pushed in the early 80s when I first met him. Originally started back in the early 70's by Jeff Feliciano. Here is an interesting article about it.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=50252

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Progressive overload. 12,10,8,6 for hypertrophy whats the problem.
T

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »
Progressive overload. 12,10,8,6 for hypertrophy whats the problem.
Gotta change it up, confuse the muscle. Right babe?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »
I always found high reps brutal and of course I can't handle heavy weights using high reps. Then again a lot of the pros use high reps and moderate weighs.
because they are juice up
p

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 02:24:22 PM »
Gotta change it up, confuse the muscle. Right babe?

jjfit

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
This, completely, what works for juicing bodybuilders will not work for naturals. I read that the best way to grow muscle is to use any weight (preferably something maybe 50% your one rep max) until technical failure, meaning till you can't perform the exercise with a full range of motion anymore.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
Google super-high rep training.

Just take a weight you can do for 20-30 reps and keep doing sets with 10 second rests between sets and keep going until you get to 100.

You'll get  great pump.

Good for a change occasionally.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »
Why not 200 reps
Or 300 reps / 400 reps / 500 reps etc.

Just do 1set for 4hrs minimum
The Weider Marthon Set Principle......  ::)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 05:10:21 AM »
One exercise per day for 8 hours straight with 1 minute rests per set, as many reps as possible per set.

A different bodypart each day.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 06:20:01 AM »
One exercise per day for 8 hours straight with 1 minute rests per set, as many reps as possible per set.

A different bodypart each day.

Excellent idea
I’m sure many will believe & want to follow that routine.
 ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 08:55:42 AM »
Of course there's the One Day Arm program.  Which some have sworn has worked for them, like as a permanent increase of arm size from 1/16 to 1/8 inch in size. Doesn't seem like much, but if a arm has been stuck at 16" for months (some cases in years) every bit helps.  And may, or may not, set a future growing pattern for those arms. .

This type program seems to have worked on stubborn calves also, for some guys.  Just switch to standing calf raises rather that arm work.

The whole idea of a one day program is about volume and a continual blood supply to the arms within a period of 6 to 8 hours that one day. Insuring that there is a high level of nourishment (amino's, etc) being taken in during that program day.

The goal is a light pump ever hour, a much lighter weigh will be used in the process of the on the hour workout.  Example, if starting at 8am, than a light set of DB tricep extensions followed by a light set of DB curls. Usually 8 to 12 reps each, with focus on the muscles being worked.   Remember only working for a light pump. At 9am another light set, etc. Between 6 to 8 such hourly workout during that day.  They also advise that two days before and two days after, no other training should be taken. Such training is meant for  once every couple of months if arms (or calves) seem lacking. Some have used two light sets in the hourly workout, but one should be enough for most, so say trainers.

Never used this type training myself, only heard from other guy's who had tried it. Some loved it, others get nothing from it. Just as anything else in BB'ing. Might do a search for more information, sure there's lot's more out there.

Good Luck.

F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »
Of course there's the One Day Arm program.  Which some have sworn has worked for them, like as a permanent increase of arm size from 1/16 to 1/8 inch in size. Doesn't seem like much, but if a arm has been stuck at 16" for months (some cases in years) every bit helps.  And may, or may not, set a future growing pattern for those arms. .

This type program seems to have worked on stubborn calves also, for some guys.  Just switch to standing calf raises rather that arm work.

The whole idea of a one day program is about volume and a continual blood supply to the arms within a period of 6 to 8 hours that one day. Insuring that there is a high level of nourishment (amino's, etc) being taken in during that program day.

The goal is a light pump ever hour, a much lighter weigh will be used in the process of the on the hour workout.  Example, if starting at 8am, than a light set of DB tricep extensions followed by a light set of DB curls. Usually 8 to 12 reps each, with focus on the muscles being worked.   Remember only working for a light pump. At 9am another light set, etc. Between 6 to 8 such hourly workout during that day.  They also advise that two days before and two days after, no other training should be taken. Such training is meant for  once every couple of months if arms (or calves) seem lacking. Some have used two light sets in the hourly workout, but one should be enough for most, so say trainers.

Never used this type training myself, only heard from other guy's who had tried it. Some loved it, others get nothing from it. Just as anything else in BB'ing. Might do a search for more information, sure there's lot's more out there.

Good Luck.

I've done it a few times and got like a 1/8 inch gain but it only lasted a few days.  The tendonitis lasted longer.  :-[

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
johnny fuller was noted for doing high reps..
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
Excellent idea
I’m sure many will believe & want to follow that routine.
 ;D

Don't forget to rub gasoline on your upper arms afterwards to stimulate the pump.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Don't forget to rub gasoline on your upper arms afterwards to stimulate the pump.
                          actually absorbine jr extra strength before w.o.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
johnny fuller was noted for doing high reps..
Didn't he claim to do 21 sets of 21 reps for every exercise?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
                          actually absorbine jr extra strength before w.o.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wow, I forgot all about Absorbine Jr..

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
This was a Rory Leidelmeyer thing that he used and pushed in the early 80s when I first met him. Originally started back in the early 70's by Jeff Feliciano. Here is an interesting article about it.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=50252

I was a part of that entire group with Rory and Jeff as well as  Jon Aranita, Scotty Livingstone, Danny Beruman and Bob Paris. The theory behind the training (according to Jeff) was to create hyperplasia (muscle cell division). There’s a ton more involved but that’s the jist of it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »

This gets old after awhile