Author Topic: Boxer or UFC fighter? Mayweather says boxers would punish UFC champs!!  (Read 40088 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Boxer or UFC fighter? Mayweather says boxers would punish UFC champs!!
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2007, 08:03:53 PM »
Do you HONESTLY believe that the best fighters in the world AREN'T in boxing? 

LOL!!!

It's unreal how many of you have bought into MMA.

The reason so many of us have bought into it is because we've seen boxing exposed for the incomplete martial art that it is.

With regard to the purse money, boxing has a 100 year history, whereas MMA is barely 10 years old. The comparision isn't valid. How much were boxers making when the sport was very young? It's the next generation of mma fighters that will make the big money. More kids today know Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell than any boxer. The future fan base of MMA is greater than that of boxing.

As far as the greatest fighter in the world, his name is Fedor Emilianenko.

No boxer past or present would have a chance against him.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2007, 08:25:41 PM »
The reason so many of us have bought into it is because we've seen boxing exposed for the incomplete martial art that it is.

With regard to the purse money, boxing has a 100 year history, whereas MMA is barely 10 years old. The comparision isn't valid. How much were boxers making when the sport was very young? It's the next generation of mma fighters that will make the big money. More kids today know Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell than any boxer. The future fan base of MMA is greater than that of boxing.

As far as the greatest fighter in the world, his name is Fedor Emilianenko.

No boxer past or present would have a chance against him.

Boxing is NOT a martial art.

A martial art expert named Richie barrathy (sp) was teaching mixed martial arts in ny way back in the 80's and named it American Combat.  he included submissions, strikes and leg kicks and knees.

All his guys, who I respect, would say, "yeah but a boxer only uses his fist" etc.

Guess what/  Boxing is boxing and includes only fist.

It is the greatest sport there is and by far the best skilled fighters out there.

We will see where mma goes.  People are already chanting boring at live events.  The audience, for the most part, is uneducated to the mixed martial arts and does not understand it.  I think the athletes  that excell in mma will be south american and athletes from lower socio economic country's and not americans.

We will see, but boxing with it's roots very deep and the many competitions such as golden gloves, state games, national games, blue gloves, olympics etc will be around for ever and the skilled will go there.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 08:29:29 PM »
Boxing sure is an art. The art of combat. Just look at any of Muhammad Ali's performances!

You can also say Mike Tyson is very creative...

just push some weight!

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »
Do you HONESTLY believe that the best fighters in the world AREN'T in boxing? 

LOL!!!

It's unreal how many of you have bought into MMA.

Theres no doubt Mayweather is one of if not the best boxer in the world, but he would not beat a UFC fighter in the octagon with UFC rules.  In a boxing match, yes, he would kill anyone in the ufc.  Again, it seems as if Mayweather is saying he could win with UFC rules, which I dont believe for a second.   Watch the video of gracie fighing Jimmerson and tell me what you think Mayweather would do differently.   Granted Mayweather is much more skilled than Jimmerson, but Shirk is probably better all around than Gracie was at that time as well.  If you've ever wrestled, you'd know that you can shoot for a leg takedown from a further distance than you can throw a punch.  During a good shoot, your head is way lower than any boxer is used to hitting.  Sherk would stay out of Mayweathers reach, then shoot for the takedown.  Do you honestly think mayweather would be able to defend the takedown?

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2007, 08:43:47 PM »
Theres no doubt Mayweather is one of if not the best boxer in the world, but he would not beat a UFC fighter in the octagon with UFC rules.  In a boxing match, yes, he would kill anyone in the ufc.  Again, it seems as if Mayweather is saying he could win with UFC rules, which I dont believe for a second.   Watch the video of gracie fighing Jimmerson and tell me what you think Mayweather would do differently.   Granted Mayweather is much more skilled than Jimmerson, but Shirk is probably better all around than Gracie was at that time as well.  If you've ever wrestled, you'd know that you can shoot for a leg takedown from a further distance than you can throw a punch.  During a good shoot, your head is way lower than any boxer is used to hitting.  Sherk would stay out of Mayweathers reach, then shoot for the takedown.  Do you honestly think mayweather would be able to defend the takedown?
He'd be able to beat any UCF fighter in a boxing match, but it would be by points. The jaws on some of those guys, I doubt Mayweather would be able to actually knock many of them out.

jianjohn24

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »
That little piece of shit Mayweather would get OWNED in the octagon. Here's a list of fighters that would mop him up: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nick Diaz, Takanori Gomi, Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Mach Sakurai, Gilbert Melendez, Shinya Aoki, Yves Edwards, Joe Stevenson, fuck man I could go on all day. Granted he has a PUNCHER's chance, but seriously he'd be taken down and pounded out, or submitted.
Team Willet
Max-OT

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »
Do any of you Idiots think a Boxer could stuff a NCAA wreslters take down and actually keep the fight standing for more than 5 seconds?

Explain how a boxer would win and prevent the fight from going to the ground, when they have never practiced a sprawl in there lives?
shotgun on the team

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »
Pride fighters would destroy ALL boxers and a lot of UFC fighters. Remember Cro Cop's UFC debut? :D

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2007, 12:06:36 AM »
my take is this...Take a world class boxer ranked in the top 10 in the middle weight class and under and give him a month to train on his take down defense alone and he would destroy anyone in mma(middles and under)...But as the weight class gets up over middles, things change...

It all comes down to a world class boxer can punch almost nonstop through out the 5 min. rounds with no problem at all and every punch will have meaning behind it...These guys could get off combination after combination that no mma fighter has ever seen before...

As the guys get heavier they can't punch non stop like the lighter guys can...And they would probably get taken down...

Almost every mma fighter you watch fight backs up when punches are thrown...Boxers sit their and take it and move more side to side...I believe an MMa fighter could not handle all the punches coming at him at once...but if he did and it went to the ground, yes the boxer would not stand a chance....I just think that if you take a guy like mayweather and put him in the ring and he starts swinging as soon as the bell rings and doesn't stop, their isn't anyone that will be able to defend that...His punches would be pin point and they would not stop at all...The conditioning of the lighter boxers is just unreal..

Now if Mayweather came in scared and held back...He wouldn't stand a chance...He has to come in swinging and not stop...He would knock anyone out in less then a min...

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2007, 12:12:47 AM »
In the ring a boxer can almost constantly keep going after his opponent because all the other guy can do is block or punch back. In MMA, the other guy has the option of kicking or take downs. A boxer training to take downs defeats the point of the fight being boxing pitted against MMA. The fact is a pure boxer doesn't know how to deal with being kicked or taken down.

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2007, 12:15:41 AM »
Here a world class boxer shows how he can dominate a MMA fight, and how tough he is

the guy came in scared and gave royce way to much respect...A boxer has to come in swinging and not stop till the bell rings...

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2007, 12:21:54 AM »
Phil baroni is a pride fighter and although i respect him and like him he wouldn't get past the semis at the ny golden gloves.

That aint a rag on Phil, just a fact....he is a tough kid with tons of heart, but even he knows it and chose mma over boxing because with his ability and the level of mma required he knew he would become very well known.
Psht, Phil Baroni is balls >:( He has no business being in the same organization as Fedor.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2007, 12:33:01 AM »
I guess the people he beat like Minowa should know that. 

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2007, 12:53:23 AM »
Dont forget that the boxers wont have those big boxing gloves so the punches would be lethal.  FOr the most part I think the MMA guys would win over a boxer but if one punch was landed by the boxer it would be over.

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2007, 01:33:51 AM »
Dont forget that the boxers wont have those big boxing gloves so the punches would be lethal.  FOr the most part I think the MMA guys would win over a boxer but if one punch was landed by the boxer it would be over.
There's guys in the UFC like Cabbage though, you could smack 'em in the mouth with a baseball bat and they wouldn't flinch.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2007, 01:39:50 AM »
This is true.

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2007, 01:41:58 AM »
This is true.
They also can take a knee or roundhouse to the face in MMA. That trumps just about any punch every time.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2007, 01:50:57 AM »
There's guys in the UFC like Cabbage though, you could smack 'em in the mouth with a baseball bat and they wouldn't flinch.

I respect Cabbage like th enext guy but let's keep things in perspective.  Cabbage is as tough as they come BUT he did lose (tko) this past summer to Bart Gunn, a former wwe tag team champion that is 42-4 years old.

Of course Bart Gunn is also a very good athlete, but neither him nor cabbage could stand toe to toe with Lennox Lewis with 4 oz gloves on...

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2007, 02:00:48 AM »
I respect Cabbage like th enext guy but let's keep things in perspective.  Cabbage is as tough as they come BUT he did lose (tko) this past summer to Bart Gunn, a former wwe tag team champion that is 42-4 years old.

Of course Bart Gunn is also a very good athlete, but neither him nor cabbage could stand toe to toe with Lennox Lewis with 4 oz gloves on...
True, but I'd wager the likes of Cro Cop or a YOUNG Mark Coleman could.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2007, 02:05:19 AM »
The polar bear would win easily.

It's the largest land predator and he outweighs the gorilla by 400 pounds or something.
Plus he has razor sharp claws.
$

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2007, 03:46:44 AM »
I remember watching on Sky Sports a few years ago a programme called Bushido,and Trevor Berbick was fighting a little japanese guy,the little guy threw a few kicks to Trevors legs,Trevor complained to the ref,saying he wasn`t fighting with these rules,the little japanese guy gave him one more kick to the thigh,he dropped like a ton of bricks.Just as he was about to kick him in the head while he was down,Trevor rolled out under the bottom rope and limped away,while the crowd booed him.

OneManGang

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2007, 04:00:55 AM »
Boxing fanatics are the ones who are uneducated here. A good mma fighter skilled in grappling will almost always defeat a great boxer (who has not crosstrained). Even good heavyweight Melton Bowen, was beaten by some lousy "ninjutsu" guy. He got taken down and that was it. He never got to his feet.

Remember, how many boxing fights end in one punch? The boxer might only get one chance to throw a combo before the mma fighter gets clinch and gets taken down.

Sean Sherk vs Mayweather. Mayweather will be defenseless because Sherk will shoot in so low that there are no knockout punches in boxing that can catch him. When Mayweather is on the ground 10 seconds into the fight....it will all be over.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2007, 04:47:41 AM »
THIS IS A FUCKEN STUPID THREAD, WHAT WOULD A BOXER DO IF HE WAS TACKELED TO THE GROUND OR SPRAWLED NOTHING HE WOULD BE LIKE A TURTLE ON HIS BACK.HANDS DOWN MMA OR BRAZILIAN JUJITSU BOXERS ARENT SHIT BUT BOXERS AND IN A STREET FIGHT 90 PERCENT OF FIGHTS END UP ON THE GROUND MY POINT EXACTLY.

id say 90% of street fights are over in a few mins, one man is left standing after knockin the other to the ground, either with his head, fist, elbow, brick etc.... if you cant knockem out with your best shot, dont fight.. ive yet to see anyone pulling out wrestling moves in a street fight

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2007, 04:49:03 AM »
The polar bear would win easily.

It's the largest land predator and he outweighs the gorilla by 400 pounds or something.
Plus he has razor sharp claws.

ha ha i had to check what you said a few times there. I thought you were making reference to Paul Varleans!  ;D
Scouser on Tour

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2007, 04:55:04 AM »
This thread is retarded.

Floyd mayweather would destroy any of the hobos that are in the UFC in a pure boxing match. He makes actual boxers look like they are moving in molases.

If they would fight by UFC "rules" (and that term is a paradox in itself) obviously he would lose.

You can not compare the two, boxing is a sport, UFC is what you could watch at any college bar at 2:00.

Why would you pay to see it on TV, when you could watch it live every Friday and Saturday Night.