Author Topic: Define "Anti-American"  (Read 5464 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Define "Anti-American"
« on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
To me it's someone who doesn't believe in the core principles of our "constitution"   

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Define "Anti-American"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »
Liberal.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
To me it's someone who doesn't believe in the core principles of our "constitution"   

Good question.  I don't know if there is an all-encompassing definition, but I believe people who do nothing (or spend the majority of their time) accusing the government of misconduct, condemning our military, and refuse to acknowledge all of the good our country and military do are "anti-American." 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »
I just want to get this straight because it seems the "anti-American" term is used when people don;t agree with the government.

But isn't that what much of our constitution is based on:  The ability of the people to change the government, to voice their opinions, free speech etc...?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »
Good question.  I don't know if there is an all-encompassing definition, but I believe people who do nothing (or spend the majority of their time) accusing the government of misconduct, condemning our military, and refuse to acknowledge all of the good our country and military do are "anti-American." 

I can see your point.  I just wouldn't call them anti-American. 

Maybe you could call them the type of people that "find Fault" as if there is a reward for it.

Frankly though, regardless of the accuser.  If it needs correcting it needs correcting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
I can see your point.  I just wouldn't call them anti-American. 

Maybe you could call them the type of people that "find Fault" as if there is a reward for it.

Frankly though, regardless of the accuser.  If it needs correcting it needs correcting.

I don't have a problem with people who find fault.  I do that myself, particularly when it comes to taxes.  But when that's ALL, or nearly all, a person does, and they refuse acknowledge the good, that's makes them anti-American in my book.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 02:10:31 PM »

I have to disagree.

Although I think people who just complains and have no alternatives are irritating, I don't see that as being Anti-American.

IMHO, being Anti-American is simply put to wish bad things on USA.

Both Edwards and Giuliani are very Pro-American IMO, they represent the American Dream, the American Man.

I have no doubts that both guys, despite their differences in political opinion, love their country.

I would say the same thing about Cindy Sherman too, to make a really extreme example. She may hate certain structures of the government, but I have no doubts that she loves her country.

One thing that most of us non-Americans usually notices about Americans, is how patriotic they are, and how uncomplicated and true that patriotism seems to be rooted.

Let me put it this way: I've yet to encounter an American who's doesn't love his/her country.

It's one of the finest qualities that USA offers.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
I have to disagree.

Although I think people who just complains and have no alternatives are irritating, I don't see that as being Anti-American.

IMHO, being Anti-American is simply put to wish bad things on USA.

Both Edwards and Giuliani are very Pro-American IMO, they represent the American Dream, the American Man.

I have no doubts that both guys, despite their differences in political opinion, love their country.

I would say the same thing about Cindy Sherman too, to make a really extreme example. She may hate certain structures of the government, but I have no doubts that she loves her country.

One thing that most of us non-Americans usually notices about Americans, is how patriotic they are, and how uncomplicated and true that patriotism seems to be rooted.

Let me put it this way: I've yet to encounter an American who's doesn't love his/her country.

It's one of the finest qualities that USA offers.

-Hedge

You're a lot more optimistic about some of our so-called Americans.  I respect many people who criticize our government and our military, even when I don't agree with them.  I do not respect those who do nothing but complain and try to explain away the great things our country and military have done, not just recently, but throughout history.  The First Amendment gives these people the right to express their opinion and I love the First Amendment.  The First Amendment also gives me the right, subject to certain restrictions, to tell them they suck.  I wish they would leave. 

There are those in the press that do a good job of being a watchdog.  There are organizations that do nothing but sue the government (e.g., Judicial Watch).  They all serve very useful functions and we need them.  But the parrots who see nothing but evil in our government and military should find a new zip code IMO.     

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:42:41 PM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »

You beat me too it ;D!!

so define anti American then

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:04:45 PM »
One excellent example IMO would be people who ignore things like the President of our great country meeting with leaders of Mexico and Canada to discuss trampling on our Sovereignty to create a North American Union. 
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »
People who don't support our Constitution by supporting wire taps of its own Citizens.
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »
People who oppose a new 911 investigation despite the quickly mounting pile of evidence that there was at the very least allowance and at the worst, complicity, on the part of a small group of people here.

If you see this evidence and the holes in the official story, and you don't want a new investigation, then by the very definition you support those who aid terrorists- you want them to get away with it.

Or, you are just a little bitch made punk scared to face facts.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »
People who don't support our Constitution by supporting wire taps of its own Citizens.

Dude.  Law enforcement obtains wiretaps on American citizens every day.  Do you mean warrantless wiretaps? 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »
"Anti-American" is an all-purpose slur used by the right-wing when performing ad hominem attacks on their perceived enemies.

It is useless for political taxonomy, rational thought, or any other constructive purpose.

Hope this helps.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »
"Anti-American" is an all-purpose slur used by the right-wing when performing ad hominem attacks on their perceived enemies.

It is useless for political taxonomy, rational thought, or any other constructive purpose.

Hope this helps.

DING, DING, DING!!!

w

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Today, the Vice-President was almost killed and the stock market took a steep drop.

Go to left-wing blogs and you'll see both these events cheered.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
Today, the Vice-President was almost killed and the stock market took a steep drop.

According to the news he was never in any danger.
w

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 05:06:51 PM »
According to the news he was never in any danger.

Doesn't make what I said about left-wing blogs false.

This has been a great day for the far left.

I remember the day when the Al-Qaeda leader in Iraq, Zarqawi, was killed. I checked out some left-wing blogs. They were heartbroken.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »

Dick Cheney authorizes torture. Left-wing types don't like torturers.

I don't expect you to understand that. But how about this?

Dick Cheney leaked the identity of an undercover CIA operative to discredit a political enemy.

I figured even right-wing types could get their dander up about that. But I guess tribal loyalty outweighs all.  :(

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
Dick Cheney authorizes torture. Left-wing types don't like torturers.

I don't expect you to understand that. But how about this?

Dick Cheney leaked the identity of an undercover CIA operative to discredit a political enemy.

I figured even right-wing types could get their dander up about that. But I guess tribal loyalty outweighs all.  :(

With lefties like yourself, one always has to read between the lines. You expand the definition of torture to the point where it means overcooking a detainees'
 rice, and then you accuse the U.S of torture.

What you're really trying to do is hamstring the military and the authorities.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »
What you're really trying to do is hamstring the military and the authorities.

I could answer with a tu quoque by saying that by countenancing the exposure of clandestine CIA agents [a point you unsurprisingly failed to address], what you're really trying to do is hamstring the intelligence services.

But that's probably not the case. You're simply too embarrassed to acknowledge the truth plain to all but 19% of your countrymen: that Cheney is a greedy murderous incompetent.

And until you get waterboarded [that Cheney-endorsed method of "aggressive interrogation"], it would be seemlier for you not to speak in terms of "expanding the definition of torture".

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 06:02:58 PM »
Dude.  Law enforcement obtains wiretaps on American citizens every day.  Do you mean warrantless wiretaps? 

Yes

I support Wire Taps with court approval. 10000000000%
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
Americans who stoop down to the level of our enemy's by supporting torture.

I'm fine with soldiers who unofficially pistol whip some terrorist to get info, but officially it makes us look no better than the people who want us dead.
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »

Hope this helps.

What is "political taxonomy"?