Author Topic: Steve Kuclo: Rows 150LB in each hand  (Read 3577 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Steve Kuclo: Rows 150LB in each hand
« on: September 18, 2021, 03:56:14 PM »

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Re: Steve Kuclo: Rows 150LB in each hand
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
Not really. He's mostly using momentum there.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
The banded preacher curl is an interesting variation, might have to try that.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 06:15:38 PM »
Steroids the weight up. Youd think hed have a better idea
A

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 06:39:13 PM »
strong sob

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:59:53 AM »
He would struggle to do that with 100 pounds with proper form.

Garbage ego lifting.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:17:25 AM »

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 04:26:03 AM »
The banded preacher curl is an interesting variation, might have to try that.

I think the band is applied from the wrong direction. In any bicep movement pretty much the first part is the easiest and where the band should be unloading instead. Same with bands from the bottom of a row. The finishing part is where you are the weakest. As you fatigue the range gets shorter and you can no longer finish. There are machines now which takes this into consideration, you can emphasize different parts of the movement depending on where you put the plates - make the finish easier etc.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:53 AM »
He would struggle to do that with 100 pounds with proper form.

Garbage ego lifting.

I’m just guessing...  but I bet that he started off with 40LB, 60LB, then 80LB, 100LB, then 120LB in his initial sets. Finally had someone record his set with 150LB.

His used some loose form yes, but he was not throwing the weight like Branch Warren

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 04:31:14 AM »
I’m just guessing...  but I bet that he started off with 40LB, 60LB, then 80LB, 100LB, then 120LB in his initial sets. Finally had someone record his his set with 150LB.

His used some loose form yes, but he was not throwing the weight like Branch Warren

Fact of the matter is that most pros use a ton of momentum on everything, much worse than this. Like Ronnie on his T-bar and barbell rows. He used momentum to get the weight moving then slammed his body down to meet the weight lol.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 04:47:23 AM »
I think the band is applied from the wrong direction. In any bicep movement pretty much the first part is the easiest and where the band should be unloading instead. Same with bands from the bottom of a row. The finishing part is where you are the weakest. As you fatigue the range gets shorter and you can no longer finish. There are machines now which takes this into consideration, you can emphasize different parts of the movement depending on where you put the plates - make the finish easier etc.

Exactly. The strength curve is the exact opposite of what it should be. Your strongest at the beginning of the curl and weaker toward the end. With legs it's the opposite, you're at your weakest in the beginning, full squat, position, but much stronger as your legs start to extend. That's why guys can do quarter reps with 800 lbs on the leg press but if they break 15 degrees that whole stack will cruch them.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 05:11:05 AM »
Fact of the matter is that most pros use a ton of momentum on everything, much worse than this. Like Ronnie on his T-bar and barbell rows. He used momentum to get the weight moving then slammed his body down to meet the weight lol.

That's why I think, or suspect, that it's the beginning of the movement where you really stretch and maybe have those micro-tears on the muscle. Remember those guys who promoted "Xreps" on Iron Man, where you focus on partials in the stretch position? Or Jason Huh who just does those short partial reps in the stretched position. I swear, when doing tricep extensions  he seems to just be using 15 degrees of motion.

When you look at, say Ronnie, doing those T-bar rolls, his back/lats are under tremendous force at the beginning, stretched part, of the movement. The tremendous weight he is using plus the force of him blasting it up must really put a ton of force on the muscle. This force diminishes quickly as momentum takes over. So he's really only stressing the muscle in that beginning part of the movement.

I remember reading how it was that stretched position that cause the most muscle damage. Arthur Jones had a similar notion which he called the prestretch. Say, when doing a bench-type movement. Just before you fully lower it you almost kind of pause, for rather control it, and then sort of bump it up. It's kind of hard to describe. It's the same principle when you throw a baseball or swing a baseball bat. Your waist, shoulder, hand don't move in unison like when a door swings on its hinges. You throw your hips out first creating a tension, a prestretch, on your obliques, chest, arms, and hands creating more force. This "loading up" is clearly seen by that small step forward when swinging a baseball bat. Watch a discus thrower. How the hips precede the motion which causes the pecs to stretch out and like a rubber band snaps the arms and hands forward. This prestretch supposedly activates more muscle fibers. 

Scroll to about 3:00. 

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 05:33:50 AM »
That's why I think, or suspect, that it's the beginning of the movement where you really stretch and maybe have those micro-tears on the muscle. Remember those guys who promoted "Xreps" on Iron Man, where you focus on partials in the stretch position? Or Jason Huh who just does those short partial reps in the stretched position. I swear, when doing tricep extensions  he seems to just be using 15 degrees of motion.

When you look at, say Ronnie, doing those T-bar rolls, his back/lats are under tremendous force at the beginning, stretched part, of the movement. The tremendous weight he is using plus the force of him blasting it up must really put a ton of force on the muscle. This force diminishes quickly as momentum takes over. So he's really only stressing the muscle in that beginning part of the movement.

I remember reading how it was that stretched position that cause the most muscle damage. Arthur Jones had a similar notion which he called the prestretch. Say, when doing a bench-type movement. Just before you fully lower it you almost kind of pause, for rather control it, and then sort of bump it up. It's kind of hard to describe. It's the same principle when you throw a baseball or swing a baseball bat. Your waist, shoulder, hand don't move in unison like when a door swings on its hinges. You throw your hips out first creating a tension, a prestretch, on your obliques, chest, arms, and hands creating more force. This "loading up" is clearly seen by that small step forward when swinging a baseball bat. Watch a discus thrower. How the hips precede the motion which causes the pecs to stretch out and like a rubber band snaps the arms and hands forward. This prestretch supposedly activates more muscle fibers. 

Scroll to about 3:00. 

———————————————————-
Speaking of the stretch position, check Kuclo’s range of motion. The dumbbells were getting close to touching the floor on each rep. He was definitely getting a full stretch at the beginning of each rep.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 05:40:55 AM »
That's why I think, or suspect, that it's the beginning of the movement where you really stretch and maybe have those micro-tears on the muscle.

You know how many older pros have retracting forearm muscle where the arm loses size and looks like soft rubber eventually. Gnter had that, Branch etc. I think it was someone on here who thought extremely heavy lat pulldowns were to blame, small tears on the forearm. I think there might be something to it.

Loading at the stretched position probably stimulates growth the most but I guess there might be too much stress too.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 05:46:59 AM »
I never did get this whole band fad.........just use the appropriate amount of weight in perfect  form,with a slow negative.

I`m sure there`s some value in them,but it`s a waste of my time personally......beides,Arnold never used them.  :)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 05:56:06 AM »
I never did get this whole band fad.........just use the appropriate amount of weight in perfect  form,with a slow negative.

I`m sure there`s some value in them,but it`s a waste of my time personally......beides,Arnold never used them.  :)

They can be useful IMO. They make many movements feel more joint friendly and stable. I have a tendency to start shaking during lifts and bands eliminate this.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach bands to the leg extension at my gym to exaggerate the contraction in the shortened position. It doesn't get trained in any other leg movement.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMZoteLFk1t/?utm_medium=copy_link

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 06:00:36 AM »
They can be useful IMO. They make many movements feel more joint friendly and stable. I have a tendency to start shaking during lifts and bands eliminate this.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach bands to the leg extension at my gym to exaggerate the contraction in the shortened position. It doesn't get trained in any other leg movement.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMZoteLFk1t/?utm_medium=copy_link
I may look into trying them out....anything to improve is worth a shot I guess.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 06:05:58 AM »
I may look into trying them out....anything to improve is worth a shot I guess.

If something hurts, like say a bench press, putting a small band around your back and in each hand can make your shoulders hurt less IME.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 06:25:03 AM »
If something hurts, like say a bench press, putting a small band around your back and in each hand can make your shoulders hurt less IME.
Cool..thanks Van.

I see guys using them at the gym all the time....I`ll have to do ome research on the principles behind using them and give them an honest shot.

sway

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 06:51:55 AM »

Dusty Hanshaw lifts like that. All momentum on his bent rows,

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
You know how many older pros have retracting forearm muscle where the arm loses size and looks like soft rubber eventually. Gnter had that, Branch etc. I think it was someone on here who thought extremely heavy lat pulldowns were to blame, small tears on the forearm. I think there might be something to it.

Loading at the stretched position probably stimulates growth the most but I guess there might be too much stress too.

Yes, some have that but most don't as well: Jay, Nasser, Milos, Flex, Ray, Wolf.... If you look at prime Branch he always had short forearm muscles. Some like Phil Heath has the most impressive ever.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »

They came in very, very handy during the lockdown. They were commanding a heavy price. Now they sit in my closet gather dust.

To me, just the weights alone are more than enough. All those bands and chains are not worth it in my opinion. I like to minimize the setup time.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 08:02:53 PM »

Yes, there's some contraption that almost looks like a bodysuit that a guy at the gym wears. He certainly benches a ton of weight. 500+

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 12:11:58 AM »
I’m just guessing...  but I bet that he started off with 40LB, 60LB, then 80LB, 100LB, then 120LB in his initial sets. Finally had someone record his set with 150LB.

Maybe.

But those "lifts" were like a deadlift with a row at the end.

What he did was not a row.

No matter how you phrase it.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 03:10:51 AM »
IFBB Team Underachievers

Kuclo
McMillian
Winklaar
Centopani