Author Topic: Just watched the Volkanovski vs. Ortega fight  (Read 1044 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Just watched the Volkanovski vs. Ortega fight
« on: September 25, 2021, 10:24:02 PM »
This was the greatest Featherweight fight in UFC history. Those are two insanely tough Mofos. The heart, grit, will, and sheer toughness of those two is so far beyond what normal humans are capable of.

I was just in sheer awe.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Just watched the Volkanovski vs. Ortega fight
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 03:26:26 AM »
Yeah great fight, hopefully Volk starts getting the respect he deserves, guy is very well rounded, how he got out of that mounted guillotine, testament to how tough he is. Looking forward to him and Hollaway running it back a third time.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 06:01:52 AM »
It was an amazing fight. Volk got out of a triangle, guillontine and an arm bar attempt. It was amazing. Ortega could take a punch. He took a lot of punishment. No wonder these guys don't last. You can't have your brain rattled like that in a fight and be normal afterward.

On a side note in the other fight Nate looked really out of shape and pudgy. I'm not a fan of guys fighting past their prime on name recognition alone.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 06:21:15 AM »
. No wonder these guys don't last. You can't have your brain rattled like that in a fight and be normal afterward.

We talk about how idiotic bodybuilding is with the health risks but what about martial arts? It has been shown that taking a single hit to the head or getting a concussion is enough for your brain to never be the same again. Traumatic brain injury. Some think some martial artists may get repercussions long into their careers but the damage is there from the start and permanent. And this can be detected by cognitive testing and brain imaging. For example, should children be allowed to spar considering all that? There are consequences like mood disorders and suicide like we've seen in former football players.

There's qualities to martial arts that are admirable and I don't wish it to be banned but it's a bit nuts to willingly take hits to the head.

I also read that traumatic brain injuries are actually less in bare knuckle fighting so that is healthier and headgear and big gloves etc don't save you from brain injury.

I saw some former kickboxing champion talk about all this on FB and according to him almost no one is aware of the scientific data that is there wrt traumatic brain injury and can't therefore even give informed consent to fight, even if they sign a bunch of papers before hand accepting responsibility.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 06:25:59 AM »
Full contact MMA and boxing/kickboxing are unique in regard to brain injuries.

Martial arts in general are not full-contact to the head.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »
We talk about how idiotic bodybuilding is with the health risks but what about martial arts? It has been shown that taking a single hit to the head or getting a concussion is enough for your brain to never be the same again. Traumatic brain injury. Some think some martial artists may get repercussions long into their careers but the damage is there from the start and permanent. And this can be detected by cognitive testing and brain imaging. For example, should children be allowed to spar considering all that? There are consequences like mood disorders and suicide like we've seen in former football players.

There's qualities to martial arts that are admirable and I don't wish it to be banned but it's a bit nuts to willingly take hits to the head.

I also read that traumatic brain injuries are actually less in bare knuckle fighting so that is healthier and headgear and big gloves etc don't save you from brain injury.

I saw some former kickboxing champion talk about all this on FB and according to him almost no one is aware of the scientific data that is there wrt traumatic brain injury and can't therefore even give informed consent to fight, even if they sign a bunch of papers before hand accepting responsibility.
they are looking at banning heading a football in training in the UK

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 01:41:33 PM »

I was brain damaged before I ever fought in the ring. 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 02:02:25 PM »
Guys the size of pellius and ortega cant realy hurt a normal size man, the only fella halfway dangerous is kebab
A

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 02:06:24 PM »
Crazy ass fight

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »
I was brain damaged before I ever fought in the ring.

aint that the truth

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 02:24:58 PM »
This was the greatest Featherweight fight in UFC history. Those are two insanely tough Mofos. The heart, grit, will, and sheer toughness of those two is so far beyond what normal humans are capable of.

I was just in sheer awe.

Strong will on Volkenator

No Weakness
Q

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 02:44:45 PM »

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »
Guys the size of pellius and ortega cant realy hurt a normal size man, the only fella halfway dangerous is kebab

Pellius won't recover.

Maxwell Smart

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »
Great fight.  Not a fan of Ortega but he's tough as nails.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 10:37:21 PM »

A lot of what you said is true but it is not the majority of athletes in contact sports that suffer these ailments. In MMA you are fighting two maybe three times a year. And of course, the question that always has to be considered but doesn't seem to be is their life compared to what? What else would Rampage Jackson be doing if he was fighting? He'd be in jail for a variety of violent offenses. Not everybody is cut out or even wants to work a 8-5 PM job for the next 40 years hoping they stashed enough for retirement when they can finally have some freedom and their time is their time. There are countless MMA fighters that are doing very well in their retirement: Royce, Royler, Renzo, Rickson Gracie all are millionaires and have all their faculties intact. Something they could not have done just teaching out of a Dojo in Brasil. GSP, who is still young and fabulously wealthy, still has some great years ahead. Ken and Frank Shamrock are in way better shape both mentally and physically than the majority their age. Vitor Belfort is the last of the original UFC OG's when they had no weight classes and bare fist winny the title at 19 years old and he is still at it making more and more money.

Pro Bodybuilding, with the exception of professional wrestling, is the most unhealthiest sport today. MMA fighters take way better care of themselves. Remember, although their training is brutal, they are not beating themselves and each other up every day in practice. Their full sparring is judiciously rationed out and even then the coaches keep a close eye on them. It's only that two or three times a year when they play for keeps and rarely do they take the type of punishment that Ortega and Volk took that night. Nothing like the physical batterings that Pro Football players have to endure.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 03:09:01 AM »
Sport allows a lot of people with low academical skill or workforce potential earn crazy money, IMO they are well compensated for their injuries and make a personal choice to participate, sports have been pulling kids out of the gutter for generations, and the sport political correctness brigade will end up hurting the people they are concerned for, people have a choice, there should be no future legal liability or recourse against anyone the NFL, boxing or the UFC. If you choose to participate you do so at your own risk.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 03:14:50 AM »
Sport allows a lot of people with low academical skill or workforce potential earn crazy money, IMO they are well compensated for their injuries and make a personal choice to participate, sports have been pulling kids out of the gutter for generations, and the sport political correctness brigade will end up hurting the people they are concerned for, people have a choice, there should be no future legal liability or recourse against anyone the NFL, boxing or the UFC. If you choose to participate you do so at your own risk.

X2. Let people decide what they want to do with their own body.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 07:04:50 AM »
So we are all just going to pretend Nick Diaz isn't suffering from CTE and GSP doesn't lose time when he gets abducted by the Aliens?

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »

Paul brothers boxing matches made huge money
Q

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 08:53:33 AM »
This^

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 07:49:37 PM »
Featherweight, Oh brother ::)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 02:47:24 AM »
It was an amazing fight. Volk got out of a triangle, guillontine and an arm bar attempt. It was amazing. Ortega could take a punch. He took a lot of punishment. No wonder these guys don't last. You can't have your brain rattled like that in a fight and be normal afterward.

On a side note in the other fight Nate looked really out of shape and pudgy. I'm not a fan of guys fighting past their prime on name recognition alone.

Yeah, but what about Nick?
Q

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 03:05:58 AM »
So we are all just going to pretend Nick Diaz isn't suffering from CTE and GSP doesn't lose time when he gets abducted by the Aliens?

STFU! We are discussing a subject that is way over your head. When a thread comes up about stuffing yourself and shitting blood you'll be the first to know.