Author Topic: Men's Physique - How Come and What's Next???  (Read 83901 times)

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
Men's Physique - How Come and What's Next???
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »
It's somewhat interesting to watch HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF!

But not too very many years ago a small amount of ancient people were extremely outspoken about the very few males who stood on stage to display their hard gained physique in something that was referred to as a "BODYBUILDING CONTEST'".

Some of these offended individuals were even somewhat outraged that such an event was conducted within the somewhat Vistorian boundaries of the good old USA.

But bodybuilding was something that the majority of US citizens knew nothing about .... so there were very few who were offended.

But body building grew and those 'very few' soon grew to massive numbers!

But by then it was too damn late to complain because too damn many accepted the display of increased muscle mass even though it was somewhat reluctantly appreciated by the masses.

But the passing of time forced a change!

Tt took a while and it took a lot of effort by a mere handful of bodybuilding pioneers who could be counted on the fingers of one closed fist.

The so called bodybuilding event that caused numerous complaints .... now produced acceptance with a limited capacity of growing fans.

History does repeat itself .... and this relatively new Physique division proves it without a doubt.

At first Physique events were unacceptable if this GetBig Board is a reliable representative of the international population.

But regardless of our non-acceptance, it has grown beyond anyone's expectations and will continue to do so even though we think it won't.

And such was the history within the world of bodybuilding. And Physique follows suit.

The majority despised it, but it grew and it became very popular.

And most of you GetBiggers might even agree, even though you may hate to do so .... but this thing we call Physique competition will keep on growing beyond anyone's expectations.

It may be wise to call it the bodybuilding event for the common man.

But it's gonna turn out to be more than that .....

Someone once said that it's only  possible to see the future by looking at the past.

In this case..... A past which most GetBiggers know nothing about ..... even though it's as plain as the nose on _____?_____ face.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: PHYSIQUE - How Come and What's Next???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »
It's somewhat interesting to watch HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF!

But not too very many years ago a small amount of ancient people were extremely outspoken about the very few males who stood on stage to display their hard gained physique in something that was referred to as a "BODYBUILDING CONTEST'".

Some of these offended individuals were even somewhat outraged that such an event was conducted within the somewhat Vistorian boundaries of the good old USA.

But bodybuilding was something that the majority of US citizens knew nothing about .... so there were very few who were offended.

But body building grew and those 'very few' soon grew to massive numbers!

But by then it was too damn late to complain because too damn many accepted the display of increased muscle mass even though it was somewhat reluctantly appreciated by the masses.

But the passing of time forced a change!

Tt took a while and it took a lot of effort by a mere handful of bodybuilding pioneers who could be counted on the fingers of one closed fist.

The so called bodybuilding event that caused numerous complaints .... now produced acceptance with a limited capacity of growing fans.

History does repeat itself .... and this relatively new Physique division proves it without a doubt.

At first Physique events were unacceptable if this GetBig Board is a reliable representative of the international population.

But regardless of our non-acceptance, it has grown beyond anyone's expectations and will continue to do so even though we think it won't.

And such was the history within the world of bodybuilding. And Physique follows suit.

The majority despised it, but it grew and it became very popular.

And most of you GetBiggers might even agree, even though you may hate to do so .... but this thing we call Physique competition will keep on growing beyond anyone's expectations.

It may be wise to call it the bodybuilding event for the common man.

But it's gonna turn out to be more than that .....

Someone once said that it's only  possible to see the future by looking at the past.

In this case..... A past which most GetBiggers know nothing about ..... even though it's as plain as the nose on _____?_____ face.

Great post Stunt.... I think a lot of young Guys now want more the muscular athletic look. not against the mass beasts but i find it better being all round fit, nimble and fluid.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
No... Fact is its just easier!!!! By 50%  fuck, how hard is it to train, back, arms, and chest. 2 workouts a week! Would lose all desire to go to the gym. Shorts down to your ankles onstage ::) O brother. O' and can they wear them any lower ? It's a pube show for shmoes! Prepare to get assaulted by Physique guys in 5,4,3.. Lol, I answered my own question. Pants are so low and sliding off because of lack of any glute or lower body muscle! Hell, just wear some nice jeans... Seriously.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »
No... Fact is its just easier!!!! By 50%  fuck, how hard is it to train, back, arms, and chest. 2 workouts a week! Would lose all desire to go to the gym. Shorts down to your ankles onstage ::) O brother. O' and can they wear them any lower ? It's a pube show for shmoes! Prepare to get assaulted by Physique guys in 5,4,3..

The hard part for me would be not training legs. It is what I enjoy the most.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
Ditto, Primemuscle. Legs and Deads!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
Ditto, Primemuscle. Legs and Deads!

Deads for hams?

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:45:26 PM »
And I will agree that the young bucks coming up, barely know about BB, so can't really blame them. What I do like about the Physique situation, is that it is like the days when Arnold said, everyone was friends, and hung out together, trained together. That enthusiasm for the most part. ( not all ) is missing from BB. It's just you. Well, maybe your training partner. Unless you are at a gym that is mostly BBs. These gyms seem to be a dying breed. However, won't stop me from training my whole body, power BB style. Love muscular legs, thickness, power, muscular thick back. To each his own I guess. They do bring energy to out cult sport. Which I do like. It seems to be a movement, and a smart move by the NPC creating it and the Bikini division. They are making a lot of money! Entry fees, expos, etc..

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:50:47 PM »
Primemuscle : Actually you must be a newb. Because primarily Deads for a thick back. But anyone who Deads hard will get many benefits to their legs and yes (Hams!) ever try " Sumo Deads?" They nail your hams! You have a lot to learn newb. But then again you will probably never do Deads, so you will never know that they benefit your hams, and your entire body! Fact! ::)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 11:52:45 PM »
And I will agree that the young bucks coming up, barely know about BB, so can't really blame them. What I do like about the Physique situation, is that it is like the days when Arnold said, everyone was friends, and hung out together, trained together. That enthusiasm for the most part. ( not all ) is missing from BB. It's just you. Well, maybe your training partner. Unless you are at a gym that is mostly BBs. These gyms seem to be a dying breed. However, won't stop me from training my whole body, power BB style. Love muscular legs, thickness, power, muscular thick back. To each his own I guess. They do bring energy to out cult sport. Which I do like. It seems to be a movement, and a smart move by the NPC creating it and the Bikini division. They are making a lot of money! Entry fees, expos, etc..

Yes....in many of the photos of Arnold at the gym with his workout buddies, you see a lot of camaraderie that is rare these days. Everyone looked like they were actually enjoying themselves and having fun while building muscle and harassing each other. I worked out with Mike Christian at Matt Dishman in Portland, OR a long time ago. He lifted crazy amounts of weight and looked amazing. He was friendly with everyone and always open to a little coaching advice. Which in those days, I really appreciated and needed.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »
That's if you are not one of those ego dead lifters, who drive the weight up and just " SLAM IT DOWN " for everyone to hear? Not controlling it. We see this all the time, and of course these guys have no muscle!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
Primemuscle : Actually you must be a newb. Because primarily Deads for a thick back. But anyone who Deads hard will get many benefits to their legs and yes (Hams!) ever try " Sumo Deads?" They nail your hams! You have a lot to learn newb. But then again you will probably never do Deads, so you will never know that they benefit your hams, and your entire body! Fact! ::)

Not exactly a newbie. I have been lifting since I was 16 years old. This summer, I will be 71 years old. I know all the benefits of deads. I was just asking why you do them. As you might guess, I am a leg man. These days though I am not doing deads much for hams. I like reverse hacks. They are easier on the back. My back is for shit these days.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 11:59:52 PM »
That's if you are not one of those ego dead lifters, who drive the weight up and just " SLAM IT DOWN " for everyone to hear? Not controlling it. We see this all the time, and of course these guys have no muscle!

Everything I do today is for exercise and fitness. I'm could care less about impressing a bunch of strangers with what I can lift (which is puny weights compared to what I lifted in my prime). I concentrate on form and controlled movements, not so much on poundage.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 12:10:31 AM »
If that were true? You would not have said... " Deads for Hams?) you have given away your inexperience right there. Keep doing what your doing Physique dude! Get some Knowledge from a non meathead Bodybuilder! :o

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »
I'm picturing you in the ( Crossfit ) fail videos on YouTube.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »
I'm out of this thread. Take care.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:39 AM »
If that were true? You would not have said... " Deads for Hams?) you have given away your inexperience right there. Keep doing what your doing Physique dude! Get some Knowledge from a non meathead Bodybuilder! :o

Believe what you choose. What I write is the truth, whether you think so or not.

I'd have to be a complete idiot to be inexperienced after working out for 54 years. However, this doesn't mean I can't pickup something new every once in a while. Weight training/bodybuilding has changed over all these years. When I started out most folks were doing 3 sets of 10 reps for pretty much everything. We've learned that there are better routines than that since the 60's.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 12:32:27 AM »
Ok, just before I leave. You cannot equate 54 years as ( EXPERIENCED) you could have started a year ago, 10 years ago? Doesn't matter how old you are. It's how much knowledge you have gained? No one said you have to lift heavy. I was just pointing out to you that Deadlifting does hit your Hams as well as your whole body. So if you have been doing it so long, you would have known this! Don't throw around age. It has nothing to do with how long you have been training correctly. I see many older guys who never learned correctly and do everything wrong. So your point is moot!! Good luck though .

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
Ok, just before I leave. You cannot equate 54 years as ( EXPERIENCED) you could have started a year ago, 10 years ago? Doesn't matter how old you are. It's how much knowledge you have gained? No one said you have to lift heavy. I was just pointing out to you that Deadlifting does hit your Hams as well as your whole body. So if you have been doing it so long, you would have known this! Don't throw around age. It has nothing to do with how long you have been training correctly. I see many older guys who never learned correctly and do everything wrong. So your point is moot!! Good luck though .

You took me too seriously. I was just making conversation when I posted the question about deadlifts for hams and I wasn't asking for myself. Some folks think they mainly work your back. Actually, I only occasionally do deadlifts and I don't go particularly heavy. My spine is messed up enough from arthritis and disk compression.

You jumped to a conclusion. That's usually not a great move.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »
Primemuscle: " That's not a great move ?"  ::) I will tell you what is not a great move. You speaking about something you know nothing about! That's right. I'm in your head. Do not try and back track now because I knew exactly what you meant.... Deadlifts for Hams? Yes look back, as that was your exact quote! Do not now try and pass it off as you meant the younger dudes might not know? Give me a break. I told you, that I'm already in your head. Shall I expound a bit? It's quite simple really. I know (EXACTLY) what you meant, and you know it too! The  "Question Mark " ( ? ) after the comment was your way off saying why would anyone do deadlifts for hamstrings? You know I'm right, so don't try and pass it off as you knew when I said they nail your hamstrings that you knew it too? Because you did not. In actuality, you did not know. I'm smarter than that, and you are not dealing with a kid. You got busted, and you are now backtracking! "Thats usually not a great move"  :o

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
Primemuscle: " That's not a great move ?"  ::) I will tell you what is not a great move. You speaking about something you know nothing about! That's right. I'm in your head. Do not try and back track now because I knew exactly what you meant.... Deadlifts for abs? Yes look back, as that was your exact quote! Do not now try and pass it off as you meant the younger dudes might not know? Give me a break. I told you, that I'm already in your head. Shall I expound a bit? It's quite simple really. I know (EXACTLY) what you meant, and you know it too! The  "Question Mark " ( ? ) after the comment was your way off saying why would anyone do deadlifts for hamstrings? You know I'm right, so don't try and pass it off as you knew when I said they nail your hamstrings that you knew it too? Because you did not. In actuality, you did not know. I'm smarter than that, and you are not dealing with a kid. You got busted, and you are now backtracking! "Thats usually not a great move"  :o

No offense, but you are full of shit. You are not in my head and you never will be.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Primemuscle: " That's not a great move ?"  ::) I will tell you what is not a great move. You speaking about something you know nothing about! That's right. I'm in your head. Do not try and back track now because I knew exactly what you meant.... Deadlifts for Hams? Yes look back, as that was your exact quote! Do not now try and pass it off as you meant the younger dudes might not know? Give me a break. I told you, that I'm already in your head. Shall I expound a bit? It's quite simple really. I know (EXACTLY) what you meant, and you know it too! The  "Question Mark " ( ? ) after the comment was your way off saying why would anyone do deadlifts for hamstrings? You know I'm right, so don't try and pass it off as you knew when I said they nail your hamstrings that you knew it too? Because you did not. In actuality, you did not know. I'm smarter than that, and you are not dealing with a kid. You got busted, and you are now backtracking! "Thats usually not a great move"  :o

No offense, but you are full of shit. You are not in my head and you never will be. I might be in yours though. You really seem to enjoy being antagonistic. Guess what? It's not working. Save it for someone else.

BTW, I thought you said you were leaving.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »
Like I said, " I'm in your head " I knew you would post again with some lame excuse. Knew I would be right. As you see, I'm in your head. Not trying to be antagonistic. I just caught you backtracking. If you are not going to admit it? It's fine. :)

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
I'm actually impressed if you are really 70, and still lifting? I will be lucky if I can lift my wheel chair at 70. You win. Respect.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »
I'm actually impressed if you are really 70, and still lifting? I will be lucky if I can lift my wheel chair at 70. You win. Respect.

I am really 70 years old, going to be 71 in August. I admit that I don't hoist the poundages I once did. I am also small compared to my peak which was when I was 29. Actually, I'm at the same weight now that I was at 18 years old and I am fine with only weighing 185 lbs. Being lean and old is far better then being fat and old. Also I wasn't kidding when I said I've weight trained for a very long time, starting at 16. Of course I've had a few vacations from the gym, but I always go back.

As for hams, I prefer reverse hack squats on the hack squat machine. These days, because of arthritis in my hands, I rely a lot on machines as opposed to free weights. To stretch my hams out, I do either weight free toe touches or good mornings with light weight across my shoulders.

I have sciatica, which is the result of a compressed spine and which pinches the sciatic nerve. I'm hoping steroid injections directly into the spine will relieve the symptoms. Maybe because of this, I tend to "baby" my spine when it comes to lifting.

I'm no bodybuilder, especially not these days. I am just a fairly fit old fart. My waist measurement is also the same as it was when I was 18, at 32".

Sorry for going off on you in the previous post, but you seemed to be trolling me.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
No, it's all good. Too much respect has to be given here. Let me ask you, have you ever had any serious injuries in all your years of lifting? Sounds like you have not?