Author Topic: Favorite Wrestling Managers  (Read 10652 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Favorite Wrestling Managers
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Managers in wrestling are almost non existint any more.  Post you favorite.
Mine and to me the best is
Bobby Heenan

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Favorite Wrestling Managers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
original trio wwf and skaaland,but yes heenan was tremendous really,really sold his hate for hogan like it ate him up when his guy was being beaten by hulk like bundy wrestlemania 1 cage match heenan dove in to save bundy and got ass kicked at least in wrestling world ass kicked.or when he became commentator more all anti hogan talk.he was great the weasel.

MusselFreek

• Getbig III
  • Go Beserk!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:32:07 PM »
elizabeth! but i would go with bobby the brain, he's the best "Heel" manager.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
                               Mr. Fuji was great also

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
I wish they'd start to use managers more again, although with all the wage cuts at the moment it's highly unlikely.  There are a lot of guys with excellent wrestling ability, but lack a bit of charisma/mic skills, who could be taken to another level with a good manager working with them.

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »
As far as chick managers I gotta go with Elizabeth.  Heenan and Jim Cornette were the best heel managers

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
Heenan was great. No doubt my favorite.

I also loved his commentary when he teamed up with Gorilla Monsoon. Those two would just crack me up, with their exchanges. I would sit through a shitty match, just to listen to the commentary.
HAHA, RON.....

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
Heenan was great. No doubt my favorite.

I also loved his commentary when he teamed up with Gorilla Monsoon. Those two would just crack me up, with their exchanges. I would sit through a shitty match, just to listen to the commentary.
They were great together  Gorilla really put Bobby over he was a good straight man

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
Managers in wrestling are almost non existint any more.  Post you favorite.
Mine and to me the best is
Bobby Heenan

No one could ever match The Brain. I can remember him entering Nassau Coliseum and MSG and the fans going ape shit everytime. He had one of the best careers of any wrestler. Just brilliant in every single way. When he first came on the air with Flairs belt saying that he was coming to the Federation I was absolutely breathless. Bobby is one of my Favorites.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
He managed my dad in Florida it is great to watch the old footage.  He would light his victory cigars everytime my oldman would hit the Brain buster. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »
Nobody.....and I mean nobody!! Could back down from a fight quite like my favorite all-time manager, and Dallas/Fort Worth legend, Percy Pringle a.k.a. Paul Bearer (but he did his best work on the local level, IMO)

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
Nobody.....and I mean nobody!! Could back down from a fight quite like my favorite all-time manager, and Dallas/Fort Worth legend, Percy Pringle a.k.a. Paul Bearer (but he did his best work on the local level, IMO)

Yeah, another good one right there.

EDIT: BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sheri Martel (AKA Sensational Sheri).
HAHA, RON.....

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:45 PM »
Yeah, another good one right there.

EDIT: BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sheri Martel (AKA Sensational Sheri).

I used to love it, Percy would be down on his knees, oversized glasses, hands up in the air going back and forth,  his massive neck fat moving all around, just begging for mercy! He really could pull it off like no other!

The wrestler would just drop the hammer on poor Percy, and he'd be stone cold out for the next 2 or three minutes, so classic.

One of the biggest shit talkers when the cameras were rolling pre-fight, and a huge coward when the other wrestler was in his face, he could sell like no other.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »
In my very earliest memories of wrestling, Captain Lou was the star of the WWF tv show. I remember him once blowing his nose on Vince McMahon's tie. McMahon was the announcer and interviewer at the time.

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:48:16 PM »
I used to love it, Percy would be down on his knees, oversized glasses, hands up in the air going back and forth,  his massive neck fat moving all around, just begging for mercy! He really could pull it off like no other!

The wrestler would just drop the hammer on poor Percy, and he'd be stone cold out for the next 2 or three minutes, so classic.

LOL
HAHA, RON.....

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:57:51 PM »

Very Under rated IMO.   Nice guy too

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 12:12:11 AM »
Very Under rated IMO.   Nice guy too

Any good stories? I heard he was a pretty cool guy outside the ring also.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 06:19:37 AM »
percy/bearer pulled of a great 1/2 punch with 2 characters tough to do,rich well to do southern man to undertakers keeper good stuff,people forgot another oddball sir oliver humperdick,brother love wasn't manager but pritchard was a riot as a self righteous con man,gary hart from swcw was great villian and feuds with vonerichs were legendary.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »
The Grand Wizard of Wrestling

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 05:38:47 PM »
I was always a huge mark for Heenan.
I thought his material was hilarious, and his heel character was solid and unique.

So many of the managers in earlier years would sport big sunglasses, beards & long hair that covered much of their facial expressions. Heenan also felt it simply made them look like many guys in the audience. He set himself apart from the crowd from day one from his look, his speech (not constantly yelling everything) and by his physical style of “managing like a wrestler, and wrestling like a manager,” if that makes sense.

Bobby had a great mind for the business, too. Many fans don’t know that he was once the third-in-command of WWF, behind (I believe) George Scott.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 09:43:25 PM »
I'd go with Heenan, Paul Bearer, and (because the extremely horny WWF cameramen), Sensational (Queen) Sherri and Sunny.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 10:30:55 PM »
The Grand Wizard of Wrestling

dang, beat me to it =-)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 08:24:35 AM »
How about Paul Ellering? He not only kayfabe managed the Warriors but took care of them outside the ring booking hotels, flights, rent-a-car, etc.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
How about Paul Ellering? He not only kayfabe managed the Warriors but took care of them outside the ring booking hotels, flights, rent-a-car, etc.

I forgot all about that! Was Paul also part of the Zubaz company, too?

Heenan once told the story that The Missing Link asked him something like when his (Bobby's) flight was. Heenan told him, and Link responded, "Great. You just have to get there 45 mins early, and you can buy MY ticket."

Bobby said, "Why would I buy your ticket?"
Link replied, "Because part of my gimmick is I don't talk, and you're my manager."
Bobby said, "Only for 30-mins/night. YOU'D better learn to start talking."

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 08:15:11 PM »

Paul Bearer did the same for the Undertaker.

Sunny did so for the Body Donnas (Skip, in particular). She even claimed that, because she made more money than a lot of the wrestlers (because she wasn't on a wrestlers' contract but on a different type), she upgraded some of the mid-carders at the time (Austin, Hemsley, and a few others) to first-class on flights.

And, she copped the bill for a lot of their meals. Jim Ross noticed an inordinate amount of chicken breasts and eggs on her expense account from the hotels.  ;D