Author Topic: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question  (Read 146301 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »

Shouldn't you ask BB to explain his question to you?  You said you didn't understand it.

Maybe he can clarify, sure. Sounds good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
Wouldn't you say that any instance of children using marijuana is a problem?

On what basis did you conclude that eight year olds smoking pot has been a problem in the U.S. for the last 200+ years?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
Yet you can't seem to answer it.  All you do is answer a question with a question.

True.  lol

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
On what basis did you conclude that eight year olds smoking pot has been a problem in the U.S. for the last 200+ years?

The conclusion is that children have been smoking marijuana, and that means a problem.

(can't wait to see where any disagreement could possibly arise from)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
The conclusion is that children have been smoking marijuana, and that means a problem.

(can't wait to see where any disagreement could possibly arise from)

That doesn't really answer the question.  You said this:

Very sorry to say, but nothing new with this one. It's been happening as long as people have been around.

On what basis did you conclude that 8 year old kids have been smoking pot "as long as people have been around"? 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
That doesn't really answer the question.  You said this:

On what basis did you conclude that 8 year old kids have been smoking pot "as long as people have been around"? 

Yes, Beach, it answers the question: "On what basis did you conclude that eight year olds smoking pot has been a problem in the U.S. for the last 200+ years"

If you'd like to deny that children have smoked pot anywhere it exists (including in America in the past 200+ years), or that children smoking pot is a problem, please do. Otherwise, we are left with a single possibility.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
Yes, Beach, it answers the question: "On what basis did you conclude that eight year olds smoking pot has been a problem in the U.S. for the last 200+ years"

If you'd like to deny that children have smoked pot anywhere it exists (including in America in the past 200+ years), or that children smoking pot is a problem, please do. Otherwise, we are left with a single possibility.

No, it doesn't.  On what facts do you base your opinion that eight year olds have been smoking pot for the past 200 years?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »
No, it doesn't.  On what facts do you base your opinion that eight year olds have been smoking pot for the past 200 years?

Facts say that people cannot be separated from the seeking of pleasure, and facts say that marijuana may be perceived as a way to deliver that to oneself. (btw, consumed may be a more accurate description, as smoking is only part of the story)

So no matter how sheltered a person may have lived his own life, it should become impossible to believe that every child in history has been successfully steered away from finding cannabis as a tool to deliver pleasure.

People, including children, were regularly treated with marijuana tinctures, as well, which was not an uncommon household item. Surely you wouldn't stake a claim to say that every child in history was successfully minded to the point where consumption was limited only at the direction of the parent. Right?

The unavoidable conclusion is that people, including children, have sought pleasure by consuming marijuana in the past.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2014, 09:27:05 AM »
Facts say that people cannot be separated from the seeking of pleasure, and facts say that marijuana may be perceived as a way to deliver that to oneself. (btw, consumed may be a more accurate description, as smoking is only part of the story)

So no matter how sheltered a person may have lived his own life, it should become impossible to believe that every child in history has been successfully steered away from finding cannabis as a tool to deliver pleasure.

People, including children, were regularly treated with marijuana tinctures, as well, which was not an uncommon household item. Surely you wouldn't stake a claim to say that every child in history was successfully minded to the point where consumption was limited only at the direction of the parent. Right?

The unavoidable conclusion is that people, including children, have sought pleasure by consuming marijuana in the past.

I see.  So pure conjecture on your part that we have had a chronic problem with eight year olds smoking pot for the past 200 yards.  Got it. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
So basically:

A:  People seek pleasure, its our nature
B:  200 years ago, Children were exposed to Weed when used a treatment aliments

Therefore A + B proves C

C:  There was a chronic problem with 8 year olds smoking pot.

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Classic CT'er logic.  Perfect for the politics board too because we do this crap all the time.  lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
So basically:

Therefore A + B proves C

Classic CT'er logic.  Perfect for the politics board too because we do this crap all the time.  lol

^^^ Wurd.   :)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »
I see.  So pure conjecture on your part that we have had a chronic problem with eight year olds smoking pot for the past 200 yards.  Got it. 

LOL.  Pretty punny to use the word "chronic" in your attempt to put words in Jack T's mouth, imo.  Bravo.

I also think it's funny how this whole "discussion" between you and Jack T. started by you implying that the problem (of youngsters smoking pot) was prevalent (prevalent, btw, means widespread) when you tried to suggest that it would likely become "more prevalent" with your question. 

(As an aside, I pondered whether using "more prevalent" does in fact change the meaning of the sentence instead of just "prevalent" in your sentence "Would this become more prevalent with legalization?" and have to conclude that it does.)

Then, when Jack T. seems to agree with you that it's a problem of some sort, you come out and say something like, "I don't know that it IS widespread." 

And now you come out and criticize him for "conjecture"?  Coming from you, that's a complete and total laugh.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
So basically:

Therefore A + B proves C

OzmO, I respect the way you think/write but please tell me where Jack T. wrote or even implied (strongly or otherwise) that it (young kids smoking weed) was a "chronic" problem?

Seemed to me he was just saying that this issue has occurred before without comment on how widespread or common it is.  I could be wrong, though.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
So basically:

A:  People seek pleasure, its our nature
B:  200 years ago, Children were exposed to Weed when used a treatment aliments

Therefore A + B proves C

C:  There was a chronic problem with 8 year olds smoking pot.

Classic CT'er logic.  Perfect for the politics board too because we do this crap all the time.  lol

Who said 'chronic', OzmO? And who questioned 'chronic'?

PLEASE read the thread if you're going to direct a comment at someone.

Hope you don't bitch out on this, either. Answer.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
OzmO, I respect the way you think/write but please tell me where Jack T. wrote or even implied (strongly or otherwise) that it (young kids smoking weed) was a "chronic" problem?

Seemed to me he was just saying that this issue has occurred before without comment on how widespread or common it is.  I could be wrong, though.

No, you're absolutely right.

Thank you, RRKore. I appreciate it.

It's all fun.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »

So will you suggest that we've had significant periods of time when these cases didn't occur?

Was everyone a proper parent, then, or what? Trying to figure where you're coming from.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »

Seemed to me he was just saying that this issue has occurred before without comment on how widespread or common it is.  I could be wrong, though.

He heavily implies the problem is long standing, common and wide spread.

So will you suggest that we've had significant periods of time when these cases didn't occur?

Was everyone a proper parent, then, or what? Trying to figure where you're coming from.

Here he does it again. 

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
Yet you can't seem to answer it.  All you do is answer a question with a question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_dodging

Question dodging is the intentional avoidance of answering a question.
This may happen when the person questioned either does not know the answer and wants to avoid embarrassment, or when the person is being interrogated or questioned in debate, and wants to avoid giving a direct response.

Overt question dodging can sometimes be employed humorously, in order to sidestep giving a public answer in a political discussion: when a reporter asked Mayor Richard J. Daley why Hubert Humphrey had lost the state of Illinois in the 1968 presidential election, Daley replied "He lost it because he didn't get enough votes."

A false accusation of question dodging can sometimes be made as a disingenuous tactic in debate, in the informal fallacy of the loaded question. A common way out of this argument is not to answer the question (e.g. with a simple 'yes' or 'no'), but to challenge the assumption behind the question. This can lead the person questioned to be accused of "dodging the question".

Often the aim of dodging a question is to make it seem as though the question was fulfilled. The person who asked the question feeling satisfied with the answer, unaware that the question was not properly answered.
The form of a dodged question, this example being "Why are you here?", could be:

Refusing to answer ("No comment.")
Changing the subject ("Your shoelace is undone.")
Explaining redundant things to distract one's focus ("Well I arrived here 10 minutes ago and I decided that...")
Creating an excuse not to answer ("I'm feeling sick, I can't answer now.")
Repeating the question ("Why are you here?")
Answering the question with another question ("Why do you think I'm here?")
Answering things that weren't asked ("I'm in the corridor.")
Questioning the question ("Are you sure that's relevant?")
Challenging the question ("You assume I am here for a reason.")
Giving an answer in the wrong context ("Because I was born.")

I'm bumping this again because he seems to be unable to stop himself from doing this.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
By the way, this story happened in California, where the pot laws have been in place for nearly 20 years.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
SS4U, I'm genuinely trying to figure out where Beach Bum is coming from. I hope to learn from it.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
...these issues are larger than all of us.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
SS4U, I'm genuinely trying to figure out where Beach Bum is coming from. I hope to learn from it.

I don't think you are.  Your strategy is to ask a question every time you're asked one thus putting the questioner in the position of having to answer a question instead of you explaining yourself. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
I don't think you are.  Your strategy is to ask a question every time you're asked one thus putting the questioner in the position of having to answer a question instead of you explaining yourself. 

Please fix your glasses and look at what you quoted above. What "question with a question" are you talking about?

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
Please fix your glasses and look at what you quoted above. What "question with a question" are you talking about?

You know what you're doing.  Your goal is to put someone on the defensive and never have to provide difinite  complex answers. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
You know what you're doing.  Your goal is to put someone on the defensive and never have to provide difinite  complex answers.  

It shouldn't require much complexity, to say that certain people are going to seek pleasure through taking marijuana. That's about as basic as it gets.