Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Pet Board

* TOXIC FOODS (Dogs) 🐶

(1/6) > >>

Princess L:
Always a good idea to review and remind ourselves.

I didn't know about avocado or mac nuts  :-\

- Alcoholic beverages
- Avocado
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Salt
- Yeast dough
- Garlic
- Products sweetened with xylitol

This list is based on the Animal Poison Controls list of death and illness in pets

Sugarless candies can also be toxic to pets

Have first hand experience with macadamia nuts and dogs.   ::)   Although I believe no dogs have ever died from eating them, it does affect their muscle coordination for some time.  I thought Emmett had torn another ligament when he could not move his back legs one morning to go outside. Could not even stand up without a towel to help him.  After going to the emergency vet (of course it was a Sunday morning) and bringing him back home with the plan to see a specialist during the week I came home to find Briona acting squirrely too.  I knew they had eaten a whole jar of macs the night before but was not aware how they could affect them (Addie appeared fine, she must not have been fast enough gobbling them up!)  So back to the emerg vet I went with both Briona and Emmett to get charcoal.  I questioned what good was that going to do since it had been probably over 10-12 hours and would have moved through their stomach by now, but they said do it anyways (a Great Dane has to take a LOT of charcoal btw!).  Researching later on I saw I was right that it was too late for the charcoal and that there was no known deaths or lasting affects from eating them.  They were pretty twitchy the whole day, Emmett was the worst.  Either he was more reactive to them or for once he beat the others to the goodies!!  ;D

And those macs came right from Hawaii!!   >:(  So not only did they cost me a good vet bill, but they ate my macs!!!   >:(

We learned about the grapes a few years ago after we bought our house with the huge grape vine in the yard.  We fed the dogs a bunch of grapes and the next day when I got home from work...let's just say I headed to Wallyworld for gloves, sponges and disinfectant.   >:(

Princess L:
Came across a great interactive toxicity chart from Nat Geo
Other foods

Interesting.  I wonder if there's been any link to peanuts like the macadamia.

Awhile back, I gave our dog a peanut & he was acting up & not feeling good.  I thought just (1) peanut should have not made him feel ill.  Anyways, he puked (a bunch of bile) with one little peanut i the middle.  Right after that, he was 100%.

Last tuesday I was up late & having a few peanuts.  He was begging like he always does & I gave him a 'few'.  The next morning, he couldn't stand on his left front leg.  He was hobbling around like an old man all day & would just sleep.  He showed no interest in anything but he did force himself to get up when it was time to eat. 

The following day...he was 90% better & the day after that...he acted like there was noooo problem ever. I am thinking he may be highly allergic to peanuts.  His sister shows no signs when I gave her some too.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version