Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421760 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1800 on: July 20, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
I did a whole body routine before work.  Hard to get out of bed at 5AM to lift at this age.  Anyone that says a whole body routine is a beginner routine is just ignorant.  It’s the hardest way to train period. 

Power. Cleans 3x3 (having terrible trouble properly racking the weight due to inflexibility.  Might switch out to the snatch.  I don’t need wrist and elbow flexibility for that.)
Dumbbell squats 2x 12
Standing leg curls 2 x 12
Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 9
Pull down 2x10
Seated cable lat pulls 2x12
Dumbbell delt press 2x 10
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 12
Tricep push downs 2x10
Barbell drag curls 2x10
Back extensions 2x 15 (plate behind head)
Standing calf 2x15( yes, back to the calf machine)
Ab wheel 1 x25
Four way neck machine 2x a side

Wife is having a four hour operation tomorrow.  Going to take three days off for this and take a week off from work.  Training related.  The beauty of a whole body is that three times a week is optimal but even if you get one day in for the week you are still in the game. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1801 on: July 21, 2021, 03:11:35 AM »
Hope all turns out well with the wife.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1802 on: July 21, 2021, 06:36:31 PM »
Hope all turns out well with the wife.

Thank you for saying that. It was around a 4 hour operation and maybe 2 hours in the recovery room before I could see her. She is in good spirits and she is drugged. Mostly slept while I was in the room. It was a little disturbing seeing her blond hair matted with blood but I guess that's typical post operation in the neck area. The doctor said no complications.  Looking forward to her regaining her health without pain and getting back the use of her arm.

On a side note I was in the hospital for 14 hours. Came home starving. (bodybuilding related)  Got Chinese food and inhaled it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1803 on: July 21, 2021, 08:12:12 PM »
Thank you for saying that. It was around a 4 hour operation and maybe 2 hours in the recovery room before I could see her. She is in good spirits and she is drugged. Mostly slept while I was in the room. It was a little disturbing seeing her blond hair matted with blood but I guess that's typical post operation in the neck area. The doctor said no complications.  Looking forward to her regaining her health without pain and getting back the use of her arm.

On a side note I was in the hospital for 14 hours. Came home starving. (bodybuilding related)  Got Chinese food and inhaled it.

Glad to know your wife got through her surgery okay. You'd think they'd clean up her hair so she would freak out the first time she looks in the bathroom mirror. Keep us posted.

Thanks for mentioning Chinese food, I haven't had dinner yet.....some Won Ton soup from the neighborhood Chinese restaurant will hit the spot. Gonna order it right now. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1804 on: July 22, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Glad to know your wife got through her surgery okay. You'd think they'd clean up her hair so she would freak out the first time she looks in the bathroom mirror. Keep us posted.

Thanks for mentioning Chinese food, I haven't had dinner yet.....some Won Ton soup from the neighborhood Chinese restaurant will hit the spot. Gonna order it right now.

Thanks, Prime.  They had a paper type head cap but I guess it got saturated. No big deal. That will wash out when she can shower in a couple of days.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1805 on: July 23, 2021, 05:10:41 PM »
I'm always interested in different training methodologies.  During the Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer era there was a big shift to low sets and training to failure with heavy weights even though the majority of champs didn't train that way. Recently there seems to be a trend for lack of a better term for muscular endurance training. Not to be compared to cardio. 

There are a couple of different ways to approach it. The biggest and latest component of this is Ryan Humiston. I would highly recommend his you tubes. I heard he has the fastest growing videos regarding bodybuilding on the platform. I will quickly out line the different methodologies. He likes high reps and very short rests between sets.  Some guys using heavy weights and low sets might think this is easy training. Nope, it's as hard as it gets. It's like a 100 meter runner running with a 10K runners for a quarter mile saying they are not running that fast. Try running a 10K at that speed and get back to me. Ryan also likes super sets, tri sets, giant sets, drop sets and slow reps. What ever is best to fuck you up. 

1. 4x made popular by Holman in Ironman. Basically it's just traditional volume. First set of 10 you might be able to get 16 reps but you get 10 reps. The second set you get 10 reps but you could get 14 if you pushed it. The third you get 10 reps but you could have got 12 reps. The fourth set you get 9 reps and you failed at 9 reps. All four sets are done quickly at maybe 30 seconds between per set.

2. This approached is simple. Four to five sets of high reps. Instead of doing say 4 set of 12 in the leg press you do 4 sets of 25-35 reps plus reps.  Lower weight and a lot more blood pumped that grows  blood pathways. 

3. This method is different.  It's trying to get say 40  to 50 reps.  Say you want to get 40 reps for barbell curls.  You use a light weight and on your first set you get 20 reps at failure. After a short rest you go to your second set.   This time you get 12 reps. The pump is huge.  The third you get 8 reps. The last you get 5 reps. It's basically trying to get a total rep count through sets to failure. You never use a big weight that makes you fail at a low rep count on your first set. Yes, I know that didn't add up to 40 reps.

4. Another method is very traditional. Do five sets of 8 to 12 reps as fast as you can with moderate weights.

Obviously this isn't a method to improve your one rep max.  These methods will improve you muscular endurance and I believe this is the best method to improve muscular size, get you in condition and for definition. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1806 on: July 26, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »
I know I'm slacking off keeping up with this journal. I will try to record all training days. Just busy lately.  Today I did 8 x 440 yard (quarter mile) intervals. Walked fast for a quarter mile to warm up and walked a fast quarter mile to end it.  The methodology was to run a quarter mile and walk fast for a quarter mile. Nothing crazy. Just hit a little under 8 minutes mile pace. When I'm out of shape I sweat like crazy doing cardio and I'm drenched in sweat.  I have some work to do. Just bro science but I sweat less the better in shape I am.

My intention was to run and then lift for a Yates type chest and bicep workout. Nope, I got off the treadmill and took a rest and began warming up with light dumbbells for flat dumbbell benches. I grabbed the bigger dumbbells for my one set to failure and just said I'm not up for it. In my best days I had trouble doing doubles and at this age it's foolish to try a hard run and a hard lifting day.  Going to regroup and get back to it tomorrow with a revised plan.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1807 on: July 26, 2021, 12:25:05 PM »
Keep us informed.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1808 on: July 27, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »
GOD BLESS RICH...HOPE ALL IS GOOD WITH WIFE.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1809 on: July 27, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »
GOD BLESS RICH...HOPE ALL IS GOOD WITH WIFE.

She is recovering from the surgery.  She sleeps day and night but is getting better. I got her out the other day and she walked for about 4 minutes.  Thanks.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1810 on: July 27, 2021, 02:44:32 PM »
Trained back and chest. More of the usual.  Woke up and my gum hurt above a tooth. Thought I had an infection. Dentist said it's no big deal.  Prescribed no medicines and had a fine chick clean my teeth. He said plaque below the gum line can cause gum irritation. Next I'll tell you how I parted my hair on the other side for a mysterious look.  Aren't you glad you are reading this?

My methodology is to make a moderate weight heavy through a full range of motion and smooth moderate speed reps. I don't buy the anything goes as long as you are using a heavy weight. That's when you get guys short stroking a rep for ego and ignoring the negative with fast reps. If you can make a 40lbs dumbbell heavy by doing high reps, slow negatives and moderate speed cadence for your reps and a full range of motion your body will thank you in the future instead of grinding your joints to dust.

Pulldowns 2 x 10
Seated cable rows with a V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell rows off a bench  2 x 10
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Incline dumbbell chest press 2 x 8
Decline dumbbell chest press 2 x 9
Flat flies 2 x 10 ( I dropped these for awhile listening to a physical trainer say how bad they were for the shoulder joint. I don't know. I don't go for the extreme stretch but I think the stretch is helpful. I don't know. I'm always evolving in my training beliefs.)
Push ups 2 x max (I had a little trouble with these. I think I really pushed the flat flies hard and the push ups were getting hard early in the reps.)

Deadlift 2 x 4
Weighted hyper extension 2 x 15

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 22
Pulley crunches 1 x 55

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1811 on: July 28, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »
Cardio day:  8 x 440 yards (quarter mile).  Fastest was in the high 7 minute per mile range.  After I hit the heavy bag for a couple of rounds. Practiced some upper cuts and saw stars from my shoulder. Getting old stinks. I still hit the bag hard. Upper cuts are out.  Jabs, cross, hooks and over hands will have to do.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1812 on: July 28, 2021, 11:24:08 AM »
Trained back and chest. More of the usual.  Woke up and my gum hurt above a tooth. Thought I had an infection. Dentist said it's no big deal.  Prescribed no medicines and had a fine chick clean my teeth. He said plaque below the gum line can cause gum irritation. Next I'll tell you how I parted my hair on the other side for a mysterious look.  Aren't you glad you are reading this?

My methodology is to make a moderate weight heavy through a full range of motion and smooth moderate speed reps. I don't buy the anything goes as long as you are using a heavy weight. That's when you get guys short stroking a rep for ego and ignoring the negative with fast reps. If you can make a 40lbs dumbbell heavy by doing high reps, slow negatives and moderate speed cadence for your reps and a full range of motion your body will thank you in the future instead of grinding your joints to dust.

Pulldowns 2 x 10

Flat flies 2 x 10 ( I dropped these for awhile listening to a physical trainer say how bad they were for the shoulder joint. I don't know. I don't go for the extreme stretch but I think the stretch is helpful. I don't know. I'm always evolving in my training beliefs.)
Push ups 2 x max (I had a little trouble with these. I think I really pushed the flat flies hard and the push ups were getting hard early in the reps.)

Deadlift 2 x 4

Pulley crunches 1 x 55

Pictures or it isn't true.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1813 on: July 28, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »

Pulldowns 2 x 10

Deadlift 2 x 4

Pulley crunches 1 x 55

No shit though.  I look like half a fag when I part my hair on the right vs the left.  What gives?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1814 on: July 28, 2021, 06:10:09 PM »
No shit though.  I look like half a fag when I part my hair on the right vs the left.  What gives?

I only look like a quarter fag when I do that so I can't relate to what you are saying.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1815 on: July 28, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
I only look like a quarter fag when I do that so I can't relate to what you are saying.

Fuck.  I had better butch up before it's too late.   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1816 on: July 29, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
Leg day:

Leg press 2 x 12
Dumbbell squat 2 x 12
Stiff dead on a block 2x6
leg extension 2 x 20
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hip ups off the ground 1 x 30

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15
tibalis work 1 x 15

four way neck machine 2 sets for every side.

Since covid began I started to cut my own hair. Surprisingly I did a good job and each hair cut I got a little better.  I've come to the conclusion that the barbers in my central Jersey town are hacks. No, they don't possess any magical skill.  A matter of fact now that I've been cutting my hair I truly see they  don't put any effort into it.

Today I fucked up. I went to use the clippers and forgot to put on the spacer.  Cut a really close three inch hole in my head.  Now to fix it I had to do a really tight semi military type cut.  How is this bodybuilding related?  Had my shirt off and I thought I looked tighter in the mirror. Having a good workout week. Last week with my wife's operation I didn't go to work or work out for the week. I really think getting a break from working out did me good. Slept like a tired dog instead of being adrenalized from working out tossing and turning. 

My wife has been holding on to me to walk around but today she got up several times on her own and walked without me. Even took a shower but I had to comb out her hair because she doesn't have the strength yet.  She is on her way.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1817 on: July 29, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »

You could go bald like me and then you wouldn't have to worry about which side to part your hair on and whether or not it made you look like one quarter fag.  ;

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1818 on: July 30, 2021, 02:31:24 PM »
I had a planned run but decided to rest. Trained four days in a row and I feel a little toasted. Tomorrow is another day.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1819 on: July 30, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »
I had a planned run but decided to rest. Trained four days in a row and I feel a little toasted. Tomorrow is another day.

Good to see you, brother!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1820 on: July 31, 2021, 07:37:14 AM »
Good to see you, brother!

Thanks, Scott.  I'm just a victim of circumstance.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1821 on: July 31, 2021, 07:41:07 AM »
Thanks, Scott.  I'm just a victim of circumstance.
;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1822 on: July 31, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »
Delt and arms:

Military press, one rep and it hurt. I think this is going to be a discarded exercise. Went to plan B
Dumbbell press 2 x 10
Dumbbell delt lateral 2 x 10
Dumbbell rear delt lateral 2 x 10
Face rear delt pulls 2 x 12
Barbell shrugs 2 x 11

Weighted dips 2 x 8
Single dumbbell two hand seated tricep extensions 2 x 12 (damn elbow is giving me grief.)
Reverse grip single arm tricep extension 2 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Barbell drag curls 2 x 12 (Use to do conventional barbell curls or EZ bar curls primarily.)
Concentration curls 2 x 12

Barbell wrist curls 2 x 25
DART wrist extensions 2 x 20

Weighted crunches 1 x 60
Pulley crunches 1 x 50

Worked out relatively early for a Saturday. Next door is having a birthday party for their one year old. Thought it would be 10-15 people. Looking over their yard they have three giant tents.  Wife told me Elmo is coming. Cars are everywhere. Seems like 50 plus people. Ugh. I hardly know these people. I don't think my wife can go so I have to go it alone.  If someone puts up a youtube of me dancing with Elmo I'm going to be pissed. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1823 on: August 02, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
Ran two miles before work. Around 9 minute miles. Didn't set the world on fire with the speed but I felt it did me good.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1824 on: August 03, 2021, 05:42:30 AM »
Chest and arms: No warm ups listed. This reminds me of the workouts I did 20 plus years ago that I had a lot of success with. Naturally the weights used are a lot less. I will see how it goes.

Barbell bench 2 x 6 then 1 x 1 (I used a light weight with my bad shoulders and now a bad elbow. The single rep was just a test with a heavier weight to see if I can still use this exercise.  I discarded the bench many years ago.  When ever I revive this exercise I always regret it.  This time I started super light with slow reps. The single rep was with 200lbs slow mo style. In my 40's I always used 285 to 300lbs so it's sad to use lighter weights.)
Incline barbell bench 2 x6
Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Flat flies 2 x 10

Tricep push downs 2 x 10
Decline dumbbell tricep extension 2 x 12
Rope push downs 2 x 12 (thinking about doing arms with really high reps and low weight to flush it with blood. Might be healthier for the elbows)

Barbell curls 2 x 10
Dumbbell alternate curls 2 x 8
Concentration dumbbell curl 2 x 12

Wrist curls 2 x 20
Wrist extensions 2 x 20

Weighted crunch 1 x 60
Pulley crunch 1 x 50

Now off to work.  I work in an office for my retirement job part time. The small office has four girls working there and they are knock outs. All I hear is guys telling me how lucky I am to work there.  Truth be told they drive me crazy with their liberal democrat pounding ideology but I guess that goes with millennials.