Author Topic: >* The New Locker Room *<  (Read 823106 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: *****The New Locker Room*****
« Reply #875 on: November 20, 2007, 10:42:37 PM »
I have found on my first excersise it is important to work up slow, but Im  a little older than most you guys.  This warms up the joints and tendons for the heavier weight. Yes might not get the biggest top set but you will still be exhausting the muscle.  I alway7s get a kick when I see a guy start their first or secong set with a heavy weight and no warm up sets.

See the thing is Overload trains mainly for power, I think.  From what I have found in BB it is not really all about the weight.  But I still sometimes will do a set or two thats a 5-6 rep max, but not every work out, most of the sets i do now are in the 10-15 range, dont get me wrong when I say lighter does not mean light, at least for me LOL.
All good points...especially on the warming up stuff.

The only time I ever hurt my shoulder lifting was when I was younger and first got into this whole thing in a big way. Walked in the gym straight to the BB military press, started right into my working sets...no warm up. ON the 2nd or 3rd rep (can't remember exactly) my shoulder popped and I was down for the count. Man, I was such an idiot back then, lol!

As for the stuff you mentioned about rep range. I've stayed in the 10-15 range for the last several years, that is until this past year when I started taking advice from Dave. Now, I do all my working sets in the 4-8 range and so far, no complaints at all about this. Since back to bulking which started late August, I haven't grown this well since back when I first started lifting. I know it's not just the new rep range scheme, but a combo of several things...but the rep range is part of the whole scheme in general.

Last off, I really do try to not worry about what the weight I'm using is...but hey, like everyone, I like to see the weights I'm using going up. After all, L2H, dont' you and I have a friendly little contest of our own going on, lol! Will Arnold jr. be able to defeat the freak known as L2H?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #876 on: November 21, 2007, 04:17:13 AM »
All good points...especially on the warming up stuff.

The only time I ever hurt my shoulder lifting was when I was younger and first got into this whole thing in a big way. Walked in the gym straight to the BB military press, started right into my working sets...no warm up. ON the 2nd or 3rd rep (can't remember exactly) my shoulder popped and I was down for the count. Man, I was such an idiot back then, lol!

As for the stuff you mentioned about rep range. I've stayed in the 10-15 range for the last several years, that is until this past year when I started taking advice from Dave. Now, I do all my working sets in the 4-8 range and so far, no complaints at all about this. Since back to bulking which started late August, I haven't grown this well since back when I first started lifting. I know it's not just the new rep range scheme, but a combo of several things...but the rep range is part of the whole scheme in general.

Last off, I really do try to not worry about what the weight I'm using is...but hey, like everyone, I like to see the weights I'm using going up. After all, L2H, dont' you and I have a friendly little contest of our own going on, lol! Will Arnold jr. be able to defeat the freak known as L2H?

;D  Yes we do my friend.  In about 2 months I will start my heavy duty training and can feel its gonna be good.  I went and visited my friends who I mentioned were animals, the one dude I referd to as the Bear.  Anyhow they are training and PT'ing at this Fitness 19 place.  Its funny I went in there and the place is full of your typical fitness people, Bear comes walking out of the back room, the dude is a monster, reminds me of the old bulked up Lee Priest, the ridiculous 270 lb at 5'4" one!  This guy should get into PL he does do bench meets, but he was adding up his lifts and the dude's total is I bet in the 2,200-2,400 range.

My point is if I train some with this guy I know it will give me the confidence to start pushing my weights up too!  Thats where you make some nice progress, training for a period with someone substantially stronger than you.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #877 on: November 21, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »
On another note, training music. Recently I have rediscovered 2 very cool groups to train to and have been listening to their best IMO albums quite a bit.

The first is Led Zeppelin II, their second album is their best IMO and could probally be considered one of the all time best rock albums.  This thing is full of rocking songs really none are bad.

Second, Rush's 2112, Another rocking classic, with the lead song broken up into about 4 sections and like 17 min long, parts will really motivate you to train your ass off.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #878 on: November 21, 2007, 06:43:54 AM »
On another note, training music. Recently I have rediscovered 2 very cool groups to train to and have been listening to their best IMO albums quite a bit.

The first is Led Zeppelin II, their second album is their best IMO and could probally be considered one of the all time best rock albums.  This thing is full of rocking songs really none are bad.

Second, Rush's 2112, Another rocking classic, with the lead song broken up into about 4 sections and like 17 min long, parts will really motivate you to train your ass off.

Man, you just brought me back to my high school days! I loved older rock when I was younger and RUSH was my favorite. You either love Geddy's voice or hate them but great musicians they are. Saw them in concert over a dozen times and some just to see Neil Pert drum solos....wow, now I am going over to I Tunes for some downloading.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #879 on: November 21, 2007, 06:59:02 AM »
I have found on my first excersise it is important to work up slow, but Im  a little older than most you guys.  This warms up the joints and tendons for the heavier weight. Yes might not get the biggest top set but you will still be exhausting the muscle.  I alway7s get a kick when I see a guy start their first or secong set with a heavy weight and no warm up sets.

See the thing is Overload trains mainly for power, I think.  From what I have found in BB it is not really all about the weight.  But I still sometimes will do a set or two thats a 5-6 rep max, but not every work out, most of the sets i do now are in the 10-15 range, dont get me wrong when I say lighter does not mean light, at least for me LOL.

I agree but in my layout there are 5 warm up sets. i'm simply removing the high rep warm up sets and having him do 5 slow reps, which is plenty for warm ups. judging by his strength on his original post i would bet money he would probably get 10-12 reps with 275 and 6-8 with 295 following my layout, which is perfect for growth. strength training is in the 1-5 rep range.

when i started doing my workouts in the style i laid out i made major strength and size gains. everytime i gain strength, i grow.

i'm a very firm believer in proper warm up sets, but i prefer more sets and less reps for warmups.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #880 on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:36 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving guys!

:)

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #881 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving guys!

U too Rip and we are still awaiting our locker room posters!!  ;D

Deep frying our turkey. If any of you have never had it, you are missing out kids!
I think beverage of choice will be Michelob Amber Bock Ultras. Need to save the calories for food  ;) Then it is off to the big game.....

USC vs. ASU

GGGOOO DEVILS!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #882 on: November 21, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »
So today marked exactly 1wk since the insanity squat day...so yep, today was leg day.

i started my warm up and immediately could tell I was not fully recovered from last wk. So ended up doing a last minute revision of what I had planned. Ended up doing less then I had planned, but it still went well.

I love all out war lifting, but you can't do it every time...apparently, lol!

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

You know it Rip...right back atcha. make sure those pants get "extra" tight this wk end, lol!

Yeah agreed...what's the deal ripster? No decent locker room is complete without a poster or two ;)

What are we going to have to do? Are Rim and I going to have to post pics of our nasty butt cheeks and call it a day, lol! Something tells me, this would not be all that hot or appealing  :-X

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #883 on: November 22, 2007, 11:24:02 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving guys! I hope you guys can all spend it with the ones you love.

I'm working today but at least I'm being paid what I'm worth today (finally).  ;)

BTW - went to the gym this morning before work. Holy shit was it packed - it was a lot busier then the typical Monday crowd (who I always feel are trying to undo the damage from the weekend).

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #884 on: November 22, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »

No kidding!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #885 on: November 22, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving guys! I hope you guys can all spend it with the ones you love.

I'm working today but at least I'm being paid what I'm worth today (finally).  ;)

BTW - went to the gym this morning before work. Holy shit was it packed - it was a lot busier then the typical Monday crowd (who I always feel are trying to undo the damage from the weekend).

Yep happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I went to the gym too this morning and it WAS packed!  Yep people trying to burn some calories so they can stuff thier face....at least that was my plan.  I think this occassion also calls for some cold ones  ;D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #886 on: November 22, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »
Yep happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I went to the gym too this morning and it WAS packed!  Yep people trying to burn some calories so they can stuff thier face....at least that was my plan.  I think this occassion also calls for some cold ones  ;D

That's my thoughts exactly.

Shit I think I've already eaten a pound of deep fried turkey. I should be in a nice food coma for the rest of my shift.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #887 on: November 22, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »

Damn.  That just reminds me of Jan 2 - Jan 31.  The worst time of year for us regulars.  The only benefit is I might catch some different looking tail.  ;D

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving !!!

I'm at work too Rimbaud so you aren't alone.  Nice getting double time though.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #888 on: November 22, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »
Damn.  That just reminds me of Jan 2 - Jan 31.  The worst time of year for us regulars.  The only benefit is I might catch some different looking tail.  ;D

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving !!!

I'm at work too Rimbaud so you aren't alone.  Nice getting double time though.

Very nice but I bet the wife's already planning on how to spend it.  :-\

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #889 on: November 22, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
Just curious - anyone else out there an eBay addict?

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #890 on: November 22, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »
Very nice but I bet the wife's already planning on how to spend it.  :-\

Yeah if she does me right I may get her a laptop.  Keep her ass off of mine.  LOL...she always ask me why I come here to look at men.   ::)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #891 on: November 22, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »
Yeah if she does me right I may get her a laptop.  Keep her ass off of mine.  LOL...she always ask me why I come here to look at men.   ::)

I get pretty much the same thing.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #892 on: November 23, 2007, 05:43:04 AM »
Big Fat.com    Thats what my wife calls this place.

"Them big guys are FAT!".  ;D    Thats her feel about  bloated Mass Monsters.

Oh, and Ugly too.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #893 on: November 24, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »
Big Fat.com    Thats what my wife calls this place.

"Them big guys are FAT!".  ;D    Thats her feel about  bloated Mass Monsters.

Oh, and Ugly too.

Tell her thanks, that compliment made me blush  ;)

My girl knows I come here to tap all of you're guy's knowledge... if I am on here for a while, she will ask how is Rim, AJ, luv, trab doing...lol!

She is into BB as well so is understanding why I look at overly huge men in banana hammocks and knows it is not a gay thing.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #894 on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »
Tell her thanks, that compliment made me blush  ;)

My girl knows I come here to tap all of you're guy's knowledge... if I am on here for a while, she will ask how is Rim, AJ, luv, trab doing...lol!

She is into BB as well so is understanding why I look at overly huge men in banana hammocks and knows it is not a gay thing.

My wife spends lots of time on skype and the net talking with Thai girl friends...
Its funny how many girls from her country are scattered around the world married to a iron pumper of some sort they met on  juice Holiday in her country...
Side note, one of her friends Big Scandinavian strongman  husband is recently pissing blood  :-\
I'm not sure of his history/ use but Its not something encouraging to hear.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #895 on: November 25, 2007, 06:56:41 PM »
I saw 2 of the most awesome things at the gym today...2 guys who stood out in all those ways we love so much.

Guy 1: about 6'2" prob about 180...doing flat BB bench. Weight used, 315lbs for about 5 or 6 reps...if "reps" are what you call them. His arms were kind of long, so when he lifted it off the rack, the bar was several inches above the set point...OK, so he then would proceed to bench, but the bar only came down to where it was originally sitting before he had it racked...about a 4-5inch rep. I honestly doubt this guy could have benched 200lbs with a full range of motion but apparently he felt pretty good about his form.

Guy 2: this guy wins biggest douche outfit of the year award. Everything he had on was Under Armour. Under Armour shirt, pants, head thing, gloves, wrist wraps, and elbow wraps...and to top it off, an Under Armour towell tucked in his pants. The guy was probably about 170lbs, but if he took all the Under Armour stuff off of his arms, he'd have been about 155. What made it even better was the die hard, hard core look he had the entire time. He did 90lb DB military press where the DB's never even reached the top of his head on the way down...but he turned them inward on each rep...sort of a half ass 2inch rep Arnold press, lol. After this, sternum crusher bench press with 135lbs, followed by 80lb reverse curls that were really just a crazy hybrid of front raises, clean and jerks, and hard core hip thrust.

Anyway, these 2 guys absolutely made my day!!!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #896 on: November 25, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »
I saw 2 of the most awesome things at the gym today...2 guys who stood out in all those ways we love so much.

Guy 1: about 6'2" prob about 180...doing flat BB bench. Weight used, 315lbs for about 5 or 6 reps...if "reps" are what you call them. His arms were kind of long, so when he lifted it off the rack, the bar was several inches above the set point...OK, so he then would proceed to bench, but the bar only came down to where it was originally sitting before he had it racked...about a 4-5inch rep. I honestly doubt this guy could have benched 200lbs with a full range of motion but apparently he felt pretty good about his form.

Guy 2: this guy wins biggest douche outfit of the year award. Everything he had on was Under Armour. Under Armour shirt, pants, head thing, gloves, wrist wraps, and elbow wraps...and to top it off, an Under Armour towell tucked in his pants. The guy was probably about 170lbs, but if he took all the Under Armour stuff off of his arms, he'd have been about 155. What made it even better was the die hard, hard core look he had the entire time. He did 90lb DB military press where the DB's never even reached the top of his head on the way down...but he turned them inward on each rep...sort of a half ass 2inch rep Arnold press, lol. After this, sternum crusher bench press with 135lbs, followed by 80lb reverse curls that were really just a crazy hybrid of front raises, clean and jerks, and hard core hip thrust.

Funny my gym is full of them guys.  Most of them strut around in tank tops too.  Some will even wear a beenie with their tank top.....now that is very hardcore.  One clown Had a beenie with a huge skull and crossbones that was big as his face, it was very subtle that he is indeed hardcore and probally pretty tuff too.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #897 on: November 25, 2007, 08:48:19 PM »
Funny my gym is full of them guys.  Most of them strut around in tank tops too.  Some will even wear a beenie with their tank top.....now that is very hardcore.  One clown Had a beenie with a huge skull and crossbones that was big as his face, it was very subtle that he is indeed hardcore and probally pretty tuff too.
Come one Luv, if you don't wear a tank top, then you can't be hardcore...the tank top is what makes you hardcore and nothing else.

...and just so you know, I've got a t-shirt, an Xtra tight t-shirt...you know, the kind that's skin tight and the sleeves look like they're cutting into the muscle on your arms. Anyway, it's one of the old original House of pain t's, it's got a skull on the back of it and around it, it says "Get Big or Die!" And no, I've never once worn this thing to the gym, I bought it at a show several years back just because I liked it, but seems like a pretty stupid thing to wear in public, lol! True, I do have a few shirts that probably walk right on the edge of the line as to what some of you would or would not wear in the gym or in public, but that one I just described is just too much.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #898 on: November 26, 2007, 04:33:38 AM »

THis is why I quit going to gyms long ago. Worse, you need to wait to get equipment while these clowns use it.
(You left out their way too heavy "Warm up sets  ;D" leading to thier "Workin sets  ;D"

Its kind of a chest bounce assisted row thing-E for  the "spotter". Thats if you could call him that.
 He's actuall Rowing a modest weight...

Also, the crampt quarters w/ these dummies almost dropping plate on your feet is just not for me.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #899 on: November 26, 2007, 06:58:46 AM »
Also, the crampt quarters w/ these dummies almost dropping plate on your feet is just not for me.

THIS is what makes me want to build a home gym.

there have been many times that some douche dropped a plate or DB about 3 inches from my foot. my training partners and i don't seem to have a problem removing plates and reracking them, but all the 150 pound guys have to drop them on the ground like in branch warrens DVD. then you have all the high school kids doing assited 1/8th reps with the 100 pound DB's on flat bench and they throw the DB's 3 feet and almost take out half the gym.

i was doing incline DB bench last week and this kid comes up and stands 2 feet from me and does his curls. i asked him nicely to move so i could do my presses. fucker takes one step over and continues. so i just popped the DB's back and almost knocked him over. WTF? does this make me an asshole? i don't really care.

i'm going to start making the hour drive to my powerlifting gym again. we actually kick members out for shit like this.

8)