Author Topic: More Liberal Censorship  (Read 180014 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
More Liberal Censorship
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
You can have an opinion, just so long as it's the same opinion.   ::)

Posted on: Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hawaii Democrats reprimand senator over civil-union e-mail
Party irked over senator's e-mail against civil-unions bill
By Derrick DePledge
Advertiser Government Writer

State Democrats agreed yesterday to uphold a reprimand against state Sen. Mike Gabbard, finding the senator actively worked against a civil-unions bill last session and undermined the party's platform in favor of equality and civil rights.

O'ahu Democrats voted in July to reprimand Gabbard, a prominent opponent of same-sex marriage in the 1990s, for sending an e-mail to a party activist that said he would encourage his colleagues in the Senate to oppose civil unions.

Gabbard, who said he was representing the will of his constituents, appealed to the party's state central committee. The committee narrowly voted to uphold the reprimand after a private meeting at the Musicians' Association of Hawai'i union hall.

"It was a rigorous process. It was a very tough issue, and this was the result," said Brian Schatz, chairman of the Democratic Party of Hawai'i, who voted against a reprimand.

Gabbard, D-19th (Kapolei, Makakilo, Waikele), said the fairest way to resolve such disagreements is at the ballot box.

"I think the fairest thing to do is to simply encourage people to get involved in the process, and let the democratic process play itself out," he said. "Whether it's civil unions or any other issue — or any elected official for that matter — ultimately any reprimand should happen at the ballot box every election cycle."

Democrats said it is rare to discipline an elected official for actions involving a public-policy issue that's before the state Legislature. In 1999, the party's state central committee approved a resolution critical of state senators who voted against the confirmations of state Attorney General Margery Bronster and budget director Earl Anzai.

A reprimand is the least severe punishment available to the party. The senator could have faced censure or expulsion.

Debi Hartmann, the chair of O'ahu Democrats, said Gabbard distinguished himself from other Democrats who opposed civil unions by the e-mail promising to actively organize against the bill.

The O'ahu Democrats' rules committee had recommended dismissing the complaint against Gabbard, but O'ahu Democrats rejected the recommendation and opted for a reprimand.

"He said in the e-mail that he would actively work to encourage his colleagues to do something," said Hartmann, who opposed same-sex marriage in the 1990s but backed civil unions at the Legislature last session. "That's very different than a member of the Legislature voting on an issue because his constituents feel a particular way."

Mun-Won Chang, a small-business owner who lives in 'Ewa Beach, said she was against the reprimand because it could make Gabbard a hero to opponents of civil unions. She said Democrats should instead focus on getting the bill passed next session.

"We are the party of inclusion, that's what President Obama ran on, so we need to include everyone," she said. "If that's what his view is, let it be his view. And if he's representing his constituents, who are we to say 'No, you can't vote that way'?"

Several party activists, still disappointed by Gabbard's visible role against same-sex marriage in the 1990s, were upset when Gabbard switched from the Hawai'i Republican Party in 2007 and was embraced by leading Democrats. Gabbard said at the time that he did not agree with the party on all issues and specifically cited civil unions and abortion rights.

Gabbard, chairman of the Senate Energy and Environment Committee, has mostly worked on issues such as renewable energy and environmental protection in the Senate. Other than speaking out against civil unions, the senator has not been publicly vocal about social issues.

The party's platform plank on civil rights and equal rights supports "equal access to fundamental rights including but not limited to marriage, privacy, and a woman's right to choose."

The civil-unions bill that passed the state House last session would give same-sex partners who enter into civil unions the same rights, benefits and responsibilities as married couples under state law. Domestic partnerships, civil unions and same-sex marriages performed in other states would be recognized as civil unions in Hawai'i.

The bill was amended in the Senate to allow both same-sex and heterosexual couples to enter into civil unions.

The bill stalled in the Senate but remains alive for the next session that starts in January.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090830/NEWS01/908300350/Hawaii+Democrats+reprimand+senator+over+civil-union+e-mail

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
Re: More Liberal Censorship
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
yawn.

political parties are private clubs.   you're free to join one or not.  as a private club, they can set their own rules.   If an elected official, one who used party resources to get elected, does not follow the requests of party leadership, the party leadership can choose to sanction him.  if he doesn't like it, he is free to quit the party.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »
yawn.

political parties are private clubs.   you're free to join one or not.  as a private club, they can set their own rules.   If an elected official, one who used party resources to get elected, does not follow the requests of party leadership, the party leadership can choose to sanction him.  if he doesn't like it, he is free to quit the party.

I think this is crazy.  This is supposed to be the party of tolerance.  The big tent.   ::)  What a farce.

What's even more outrageous about this is Democrats knew Gabbard's history when they recruited him to switch parties AFTER he was elected.  He's the most vocal and recognizable pro-traditional marriage proponent in the state.  How shocking that he actually opposed the civil union/homosexual marriage bill after becoming a "Democrat."   ::) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »
The liberal response to opposing viewpoints:  silence them.   ::)

Lawsuit Claims College Ordered Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality, Or Be Dismissed
By Joshua Rhett Miller
Published July 27, 2010
FoxNews.com

Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been pursuing a master's degree in school counseling at Augusta State University since last year, but school officials have informed her that she'll be dismissed from the program unless she alters her "central religious beliefs on human nature and conduct," according to a civil complaint filed last week.

A graduate student in Georgia is suing her university after she was told she must undergo a remediation program due to her beliefs on homosexuality and transgendered persons.

The student, Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been pursuing a master's degree in school counseling at Augusta State University since 2009, but school officials have informed her that she'll be dismissed from the program unless she alters her "central religious beliefs on human nature and conduct," according to a civil complaint filed last week.

"[Augusta State University] faculty have promised to expel Miss Keeton from the graduate Counselor Education Program not because of poor academic showing or demonstrated deficiencies in clinical performance, but simply because she has communicated both inside and outside the classroom that she holds to Christian ethical convictions on matters of human sexuality and gender identity," the 43-page lawsuit reads.

Keeton, according to the lawsuit, was informed by school officials in late May that she would be asked to take part in a remediation plan due to faculty concerns regarding her beliefs pertaining to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.

"The faculty identifies Miss Keeton's views as indicative of her improper professional disposition to persons of such populations," the lawsuit reads.

The remediation plan, according to the lawsuit, noted Keeton's "disagreement in several class discussions and in written assignments with the gay and lesbian 'lifestyle,'" as well as Keeton's belief that those "lifestyles" are cases of identity confusion.

If Keeton fails to complete the plan, including additional reading and the writing of papers describing the impact on her beliefs, she will be expelled from the Counselor Education Program, the lawsuit claims.

Keeton has stated that she believes sexual behavior is the "result of accountable personal choice rather than an inevitability deriving from deterministic forces," according to the suit.

"She also has affirmed binary male-female gender, with one or the other being fixed in each person at their creation, and not a social construct or individual choice subject to alteration by the person so created," the lawsuit reads. "Further, she has expressed her view that homosexuality is a 'lifestyle,' not a 'state of being.'"

In a statement to FoxNews.com, Augusta State University officials declined to comment specifically on the litigation, but said the university does not discriminate on the basis of students' moral, religious, political or personal views or beliefs.

"The Counselor Education Program is grounded in the core principles of the American Counseling Association and the American School Counselor Association, which defines the roles and responsibilities of professional counselors in its code of ethics," the statement read. "The code is included in the curriculum of the counseling education program, which states that counselors in training have the same responsibility as professional counselors to understand and follow the ACA Code of Ethics."

David French, senior counsel at the Alliance Defense Fund, which filed the lawsuit against Augusta State University on Keeton's behalf, said no university has the right to force a citizen to change their beliefs on any topic.

"The university has told Jennifer Keeton that if she doesn't change her beliefs, she can't stay in the program," he told FoxNews.com. "She won't even have a chance to counsel any students; she won't have a chance to get a counseling degree; she'll be expelled."

Keeton, who is not available for interviews according to French, believes that people have "moral choices" regarding their sexuality, he said.

"A student has a right to express their point of view in and out of class without fear or censorship or expulsion," French said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/27/georgia-university-tells-student-lose-religion-lawsuit-claims/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Most far left libs hate free speech. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
I hope she got that stuff in writing (like email or something), but I don't think the profs would be that dumb.  It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
Chicago School Refuses to Host Rove, Welcomes Obama Appointee
By Stephen Clark
Published July 28, 2010 | FoxNews.com

Loyola University Chicago has refused to host Karl Rove (r) but is welcoming Obama appointee Eboo Patel (l). (IFYC/AP)
A private university in Chicago that refuses to host former senior Bush adviser Karl Rove, arguing that welcoming a "political" speaker ahead of the midterm elections could threaten its tax-exempt status, has added an Obama administration appointee to address the student body.

Loyola University Chicago is hosting Eboo Patel, an Obama appointee to the White House interfaith council, next month, calling into question the school's rationale for rejecting Rove's appearance.

"The news that Eboo Patel, an appointee of the Obama administration, will be allowed to speak at Loyola University Chicago, while Karl Rove was essentially barred, is further proof that the (university) administration either has zero understanding of tax law or is unabashedly biased," said Evan Gassman, a spokesman for Young America's Foundation, a conservative outreach group that was sponsoring the Rove speech.

University spokesman Steve Christensen told FoxNews.com that the topic of Patel's speech does not have a political motive, which would violate current speaker policy.

"Our university considers its on-campus speakers on a case-by-case basis, and very carefully," he said. "Dr. Patel's speech on Aug. 27 will focus on the importance of interfaith leadership and transformative education, two topics that are directly associated with the university's mission. This is a very different lecture than what was proposed by our College Republicans, who informed the university in their proposal that they are inviting Karl Rove 'to speak in October 2010 to speak about the upcoming elections and their impact on public policy.'"

The university previously argued that the timing of Rove's appearance for the upcoming school year could imperil its 501(c )(3) tax status.

"The timing of this event is problematic given the campaign cycle," Kimberly A. Moore, director of student affairs and Greek affairs, told students in an e-mail. "Loyola has to maintain impartiality in order to protect our tax-exempt status."

Adam Kissel of the nonpartisan Foundation for Individual Rights in Education told FoxNews.com that the school appears to be applying a "double standard."

"We often see rules applied strangely as a proxy for the real issue that a particular administrator or the whole institution doesn't want the lecture to happen and a pretext is developed to keep the speaker off of campus," Kissel said. "We see that time after time."

Rove, a Fox News contributor who gained prominence as the architect of former President George W. Bush's successful campaign strategies in 2000 and 2004, is not working on any campaign this season.

The school has offered to host Rove after the midterm election on Nov. 2, but the conservative group said Rove would not be able to speak then because of his busy schedule.

Conservative students point out that the school has hosted partisan speakers on election years before. In September 2004, the school hosted Howard Dean, who ran for president that year. A couple of weeks after his speech, political activist Ralph Nader, who also ran for president that year, spoke on campus -- a speech that was advertised as a campaign event in which donations were solicited.

Patel, whom Obama appointed last year to his advisory council of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, will discuss interfaith leadership and transformative education, according to the school's provost who is sponsoring the speech. Patel was named by Harvard's Kennedy School Review as one of five future policy leaders to watch.

"It is very disconcerting to see Loyola not live up to the standards of academic freedom that they frequently preach about," said Sean Vera, the student who tried to bring Rove to the campus.

"I never expected Loyola would prevent the free exchange of ideas and they would do so in such a partisan manner," he said.

But the university said times have changed.

"In recent years, the IRS has become increasingly more scrutinizing over not-for-profit universities and their tax-exempt status as it relates to political or potentially political speakers invited to come on campus," Christensen said. "With that in mind, our university has become more cautious in its decision-making."

Kissel, of FIRE, called that a "false argument."

"It does not threaten the school's 501(c )(3) status to permit a student group to bring even a politician to campus while the politician is in office," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/28/chicago-school-refuses-host-rove-welcomes-obama-appointee/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
NPR Ends Analyst’s Contract After Comments on Muslims (Juan Williams)
New York Times ^ | October 20, 2010

________________________ ________________________ ________________

NPR has terminated its contract with Juan Williams, one of its senior news analysts, after he made comments about Muslims on the Fox News Channel. NPR said in a statement that it gave Mr. Williams notice of his termination on Wednesday night. The move came after Mr. Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst, appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” on Monday. On the show, the host, Bill O’Reilly, asked him to respond to the notion that the United States was facing a “Muslim dilemma.” Mr. O’Reilly said, “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet.”

Mr. Williams said he concurred with Mr. O’Reilly.

He continued: “I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Mr. Williams also made reference to the Pakistani immigrant who pleaded guilty this month to trying to plant a car bomb in Times Square. “He said the war with Muslims, America’s war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don’t think there’s any way to get away from these facts,” Mr. Williams said.

NPR said in its statement that the remarks “were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR.”

The public radio organization said it thanked him for many years of service. Mr. Williams did not immediately respond on Wednesday night to an e-mail seeking comment...

(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...

________________________ ________________________ ________

More tolerance, open mindedness, and respect for different views from the far left.   ::)  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Amazing how rude and ignorant some paranoid anti-religious extremists can be.   ::)  This fool is a bad as Michael Newdow (sp?). 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Amazing how rude and ignorant some paranoid anti-religious extremists can be.   ::)  This fool is a bad as Michael Newdow (sp?). 

I see no evidence of paranoia or extremism

someone who sees paranoia and extremism where none exists is most likely the one who is paranoid

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Amazing how rude and ignorant some paranoid anti-religious extremists can be.

Heck, I know some pro-religious types who believe a higher power condemns them for little things like masturbating before bed - as he's always watching.

talk about paranoid...

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
Usually when there are disorderly conduct charges you know it's all bogus.

How extremist of him, to dare to voice his opinion in public and complain about a violation of the Constitution. And he did so while stating his name and in a peaceful way.

If anything I think his 1st Amendment Rights were violated, or maybe the praying zealots want to ban public speech.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
I see no evidence of paranoia or extremism

someone who sees paranoia and extremism where none exists is most likely the one who is paranoid

Does that mean that you admit that you are paranoid and delusional as well, or is this epiphany another one of those liberalisms that applies to everyone else except you?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
Does that mean that you admit that you are paranoid and delusional as well, or is this epiphany another one of those liberalisms that applies to everyone else except you?

your statement makes no sense

I see no evidence of anyone "out to get me" unlike some other posters on this board who think people or groups of people are out to get them

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
Usually when there are disorderly conduct charges you know it's all bogus.

How extremist of him, to dare to voice his opinion in public and complain about a violation of the Constitution. And he did so while stating his name and in a peaceful way.

If anything I think his 1st Amendment Rights were violated, or maybe the praying zealots want to ban public speech.

That wasn't peaceful.  It was an unnecessary, disrespectful, political stunt.  He could have said the same thing outside of the chambers, which is what everyone else does when they want to make a political statement.  No one should be allowed to disrupt proceedings like that.  It may not be a crime, but they can certainly kick his butt out.   

That guy is a fool.  He spends his time searching for any expression of Christianity on public property and cries about it.  He has been involved in countless disputes over that kind of stuff.  He was probably one of the persons complaining about state legislators having a fish symbol on their office doors.   ::)  An example of a dumb atheist (and there are plenty of smart ones). 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
your statement makes no sense

I see no evidence of anyone "out to get me" unlike some other posters on this board who think people or groups of people are out to get them

What does that have to do with your ironically hypocritical statement about individuals who see extremism everywhere?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
What does that have to do with your ironically hypocritical statement about individuals who see extremism everywhere?

feel free to explain my alleged hypocrisy

I never said anyone was out to get me and the only one who seems paranoid on this thread is a certain bible thumper who thinks people who are doing nothing more than exercising their first amendment rights are somehow out to get him (or people like him)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »
I never addressed whether anyone was out to get anyone. I just thought that your statement was hypocritical and ironic because more than almost anyone else on this board, you accuse others of being extremists because they disagree with you and have what can only be described as a delusional and paranoid worldview.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
I never addressed whether anyone was out to get anyone. I just thought that your statement was hypocritical and ironic because more than almost anyone else on this board, you accuse others of being extremists because they disagree with you and have what can only be described as a delusional and paranoid worldview.

I don't recall accusing anyone of being an extremist for disagreeing with me ?

If I do it so often, as you suggest, why don't you show me an example or two of what you're talking about

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
And as I often respond, I have better things to do with my time. I'm sure someone else could dig up multiple threads that illustrate my point.

Your pro Islam/ anti christian, pro gay marriage, pro socialist postings will reveal many examples. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
And as I often respond, I have better things to do with my time. I'm sure someone else could dig up multiple threads that illustrate my point.

Your pro Islam/ anti christian, pro gay marriage, pro socialist postings will reveal many examples. 

give me an example from memory then

I don't recall calling anyone an extremist and especially for just disagreeing with me

I usually don't even resort to name calling until someone starts doing it to me

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
I just gave you several from memory. I don't remember the names of the exact threads. I recall you once called 333 an extremist for disagreeing with the African genital washing program in the Stimulus Bill.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
I just gave you several from memory. I don't remember the names of the exact threads. I recall you once called 333 an extremist for disagreeing with the African genital washing program in the Stimulus Bill.

no you didn't - you gave not one example of me calling anyone an extremist for disagreeing with me.

further more - I'm not pro-Isam (no idea where you got that from), I'm not anti-christian (just keep out of government), I'm not a socialist and although I'm not against gay marriage (it's a civil rights issue) I've never called anyone and extremist  or anything close to it for disagreeing with me on that issue (or any that I can recall).

I see you still can't stop thinking about genitals 

If you think I called him an extremist on that thread then you can easily locate that thread and find an example

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
I could. But I wont.

We both know the truth.