Author Topic: Texas backup kicked off team for racist comment  (Read 4322 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Texas backup kicked off team for racist comment
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 08:04:10 AM »
Racism is definitely more of an issue in this country than in many parts of Europe.  When I visited England, everyone shared a similar culture, dress, speech patterns, etc.  I saw people mixing even better than they do here in the northern US.
My guess is that slavery was stopped later in the US and the Jim Crow laws held us back.  Then there is a subculture of some degree of anger, resentment and black pride in some black communities that is understandable but certainly not productive.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:14 AM »
As far as genetics go, its more mixed IMO  Black Americans often have better genetics for arm development and often have a small waist but not so predictible with other muscle groups.
Though the "member" generalization is partially true, certainly not always.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 09:19:34 AM »
FP,

Racism is never right, LOL! My point is that most of the people here that really talk crap have never had to experience racism as a minority. That's one of the reasons I never get twisted over stupid things people say/write. It's not that I believe most people are racist or ignorant, just that they see things from a majority perspective. Sure there are some ignorant dumbasses out there but most people aren't actually bad. Like the whole Obama thing, a black president conflicts with the cultural identity of many Americans. Race being an issue doesn't necessarily make people racists. :)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »
FP,

Racism is never right, LOL! My point is that most of the people here that really talk crap have never had to experience racism as a minority. That's one of the reasons I never get twisted over stupid things people say/write. It's not that I believe most people are racist or ignorant, just that they see things from a majority perspective. Sure there are some ignorant dumbasses out there but most people aren't actually bad. Like the whole Obama thing, a black president conflicts with the cultural identity of many Americans. Race being an issue doesn't necessarily make people racists. :)
Doc, what about the people that are of the minority and racist themselves?  Shouldn't they show more empathy and not engage in those behaviors towards other minorities or even the majority?

Aside from guys like this who publicly show their racism, who on here has been a direct victim of racism?  Who has engaged in racist behavior?  I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious.
Squishy face retard

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
Doc, what about the people that are of the minority and racist themselves?  Shouldn't they show more empathy and not engage in those behaviors towards other minorities or even the majority?

Aside from guys like this who publicly show their racism, who on here has been a direct victim of racism?  Who has engaged in racist behavior?  I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious.

i think its natural for a people who were enslaved, victimised and owned in every aspect to want revenge/retrebution - or at the very least harbour resentment towards the people who did that to them.

the problem occurs when they feel the need to have more than the oppressors to make up for past misdeeds. Thiscan lead to dangerous precedents where conflict is inevitable.

also i would like to think that the oppressed realise that freedom was given back, after people realised how wrong it was - it was not taken by force.
175lbs by 31st July

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 09:59:07 AM »
i think its natural for a people who were enslaved, victimised and owned in every aspect to want revenge/retrebution - or at the very least harbour resentment towards the people who did that to them.

the problem occurs when they feel the need to have more than the oppressors to make up for past misdeeds. Thiscan lead to dangerous precedents where conflict is inevitable.

also i would like to think that the oppressed realise that freedom was given back, after people realised how wrong it was - it was not taken by force.

What about the black population that hates asians or hispanics, or the hispanics that hate blacks and asians, etc?
Squishy face retard

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
What about the black population that hates asians or hispanics, or the hispanics that hate blacks and asians, etc?

racist pigs  >:(
175lbs by 31st July

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »

White people do not have a monopoly on racism, Cap. :)

Direct victim? I guess it would have to depend on what your definition of 'direct victim' is. By the strictest standards it would have to mean someone denied an opportunity and used race as an excuse but was also honest about the reason. I could probably say yes with no difficulty if the standard was lowered, LOL! Have I had people give me crap, make sweeping judgements and or assumptions based upon appearance? definitely yes! I've had people walk into the office, introduce themselves and politely ask to speak with Dr. Hammonds, LOL! I'm not saying that everyone that recognizes race is a racist, simply that people have preconceived notions about how society should be structured and that some of that perception is based upon being in the majority.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
drkaje makes some good points.

Thats why affirmative action should be dismantled now.  No racial preferencing is reasonable anymore.  We must treat everyone equal.  We gotta continue to get passed the whole thing.  One positive about Obama is that it shattered the barrier for a black American to become the most powerful person in the land.  Now, every kid can really believe they have the potential to become what they want.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
Back to the original story....

How can they kick a player off the team for some racist joke about Obama?  What are the legal grounds for this?  Appears pretty shaky to me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
Back to the original story....

How can they kick a player off the team for some racist joke about Obama?  What are the legal grounds for this?  Appears pretty shaky to me.

From the second link:

According to the Sports Inferno (link here), Burnette wrote: "all the hunters gather up, we have a #$%&er in the whitehouse."

Pretty dumb comment to make on the internet. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
Of course its a stupid comment and if I heard that 'joke' I'd definitely raise an eyebrow with a glance letting the joke teller know that kind of crap isn't appreciated here.  But, to kick someone off the team for that?  How about what that idiot pro player said something to the effect that he was black so didn't care about the national anthem.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:09 PM »
From the second link:

According to the Sports Inferno (link here), Burnette wrote: "all the hunters gather up, we have a #$%&er in the whitehouse."

Pretty dumb comment to make on the internet. 

If we (al of us) suffered for every dumb or insensitive comment made here the internet would come to an end.

The kid's ignorant, bug fking deal! People need to lighten up and he's still entitled to have/express an opinion. If he tried to harm the president elect or recruit people to do bad it would be a different story.

I mean come on! Now no one can ever make a racist comment because there's going to be a black president?! One very important job in the world is changing hands, racism isn't ending and people haven't suddenly lost the right to have stupid opinions.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »
If we (al of us) suffered for every dumb or insensitive comment made here the internet would come to an end.

The kid's ignorant, bug fking deal! People need to lighten up and he's still entitled to have/express an opinion. If he tried to harm the president elect or recruit people to do bad it would be a different story.

I mean come on! Now no one can ever make a racist comment because there's going to be a black president?! One very important job in the world is changing hands, racism isn't ending and people haven't suddenly lost the right to have stupid opinions.

its on the coach, u have to understand texas fb is about 90% black at least, i wouldnt have let him go but keeping him could bite them in the ass in more than one way

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 01:02:11 PM »
Of course its a stupid comment and if I heard that 'joke' I'd definitely raise an eyebrow with a glance letting the joke teller know that kind of crap isn't appreciated here.  But, to kick someone off the team for that?  How about what that idiot pro player said something to the effect that he was black so didn't care about the national anthem.

Josh Howard.  He's an idiot, but I doubt his contract could be terminated because of his dumb comment.  On the other hand, this kid's scholarship agreement probably has a pretty broad provision that allows the school to terminate his scholarship.  Even if it doesn't, the coach can kick him off the team for any conduct he considers detrimental to the team, program, etc.

Now, what would I have done?  I really don't know.  I don't know this kid's history.  I don't know what kind of training or directives his players have received about public comments and behavior.  It is the kind of kind of statement that warrants some kind of punishment, which could be as simple as a reprimand. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »
On a side note, i found out yesterday that a girl i know, knows this guy.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »

I really can't criticize what the coach did, because I don't have enough information, but I don't think should be a national story.  They should have punished the kid in some fashion and then everyone should have gone on about their business.  

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:59 PM »
I really can't criticize what the coach did, because I don't have enough information, but I don't think should be a national story.  They should have punished the kid in some fashion and then everyone should have gone on about their business.  

So the scholarship bought his tongue? He didn't make a public statement in the name of the team, he made a personal side note , its BS.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »
So the scholarship bought his tongue? He didn't make a public statement in the name of the team, he made a personal side note , its BS.

Absolutely.  You get to say whatever your team and school allows you to say when you're a member of a team. 

His comments were made on the internet.  Can't get any more public than that. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2008, 02:09:45 AM »
The cool side of all this is that soon, us whites can start complaining about the powers that be and shit. Mark my words, this is the worst thing for blacks in the long-run. They've lost their niche as the ex-slaves being discriminated against by 'the man'. Now the mans black and we can start talking shit.

I'm willing to bet there's a former Texas  backup player who would disagree with your comment.  ;)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2008, 02:19:04 AM »
Racism is definitely more of an issue in this country than in many parts of Europe.  When I visited England, everyone shared a similar culture, dress, speech patterns, etc.  I saw people mixing even better than they do here in the northern US.
My guess is that slavery was stopped later in the US and the Jim Crow laws held us back.  Then there is a subculture of some degree of anger, resentment and black pride in some black communities that is understandable but certainly not productive.

BINGO!!!

w